Have my Canadian (rogers) Z10 that I unlocked through crackberry. Worked great. I have my USA travel sim I use while traveling in the states. The simple works fine and I can make and receive calls but cannot get any data services. This is because I need to change the name of the apn. Previously, I used an iphone that you could change the apn to what I needed and everything works fine. With the Z10 the apn settings are grayed out and cannot be changed. From what I have read they are locked to the sim. Well this means that unlocking the Z10 to use for travel is now useless for data (unless on wifi). Data is hugely important obviously for everyone. The USA sim is t mobile and works great in my unlocked iphone. I just hate that thing and wanted to use my Z10. Why blackberry did this when no one else does is really frustrating.
    Does anyone know a workaround to make the apn changeable on the Z10? Is it possible to reprogram the sim with a different apn if the sim locks the apn on the Z10?
    I figure this is pretty important, everyone that is using unlocked Z10's will not be able to use data if they switch sim cards.
    Any help is appreciated.
    02-18-13 02:51 AM
    If the phone is unlocked, then just putting in the T-Mobile sim should either change the apn or allow you to change it. I do this every weekend as I go between the UK and Netherlands

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 02:54 AM
    It's not. I need the apn to be "roam" but it's something else and the apn area is grayed out and cannot be changed. I googled "change apn blackberry Z10" and a ton of people are experiencing the same issue. Some Sims will work fine for sure but many do not, that is why every other phone let's you change the apn name as needed.
    MaungLmm and iBwizzle like this.
    02-18-13 03:04 AM
    I have unlocked Z10 and can enter whatever APN I like.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 03:24 AM
    It sounds like it's locked on your sim, or that the unlock didn't work fully. I can change mine without issue.
    02-18-13 04:24 AM
    I read on another forum you need to do a hard reboot. Put in new sim then hold power button for 10 seconds and wait for os to reload. It should accept new apn.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 07:33 AM
    I assume a hard reboot will erase all my data? Bring it back to factory? Did you guys buy it factory unlocked in the UK or unlock from a carrier? Isle 989 where is that post you read on hard reboot?
    Last edited by biznessninja; 02-18-13 at 09:33 AM.
    02-18-13 09:10 AM
    Mine was unlocked. No sim locks whatsoever.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 09:41 AM
    It would be interesting to know where those that are saying that the apn is unlocked are getting their devices. BlackBerry has already stated that the apn is locked to the SIM on all devices, so if the sim apn is wrong or not programmed you are out of luck. I really hope that this changes or that most of us are just doing something wrong, but so far that seems to be the concensus.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 09:49 AM
    Agreed. A clear idea of those who can change their apn, where they got it, factory unlocked or not, and if anyone has been able to break or open the apn grayed out area to open would really help!
    02-18-13 12:10 PM
    I assume a hard reboot will erase all my data? Bring it back to factory? Did you guys buy it factory unlocked in the UK or unlock from a carrier? Isle 989 where is that post you read on hard reboot?
    Hard reboot will not erase anything (but clean RAM and probably a bunch of temp files); it's just a ... hard reboot
    02-18-13 12:15 PM
    I got mine from phones u in the UK. They supply the phone unlocked even though it's under contract from EE.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 01:06 PM
    This thread has some info on the apn : http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=767922

But it sounds like the sim needs to have the correct apn.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 01:18 PM
    A hard reboot is the same as a battery pull. Your data will be safe.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 01:20 PM
    I did a little more research and it is not good news. According to BlackBerry, the APN cannot be changed and is set by the SIM so if your SIM card does not set the apn, then it won't work. I frequently use roam mobility to travel to the states and according to their twitter account the Z10 will not work with data because the APN cannot be changed manually.

Hopefully, BlackBerry will address this issue with a software update because it is very frustrating, especially since other devices have this ability.
    02-18-13 01:48 PM
    That's what I thought. If you change the sim though it should change the apn

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 01:59 PM
    I really think the problem comes from a bad/partial unlocking... see my Z10 settings capture... can edit apn. Oops CB app, no pic yet... browser edit in a minute

Posted via CB10
    Attached Thumbnails Need to change apn on unlocked Z10-img_00000013.jpg  
    02-18-13 05:30 PM
    I really think the problem comes from a bad/partial unlocking... see my Z10 settings capture... can edit apn. Oops CB app, no pic yet... browser edit in a minute

Posted via CB10
    Are you in Europe and who unlocked your phone? I have a feeling that there may be a difference between our north american devices and the European devices...
    02-18-13 06:08 PM
    All very interesting but still confusing. I am thinking the Canadian carrier locked phones are the ones with picked apn. Like post #15 I too use roam mobility when in the USA. They are awesome but their sim piggy backs off of the mobile towers so the sim apn is t mobile which won't give us data. The apn needs to be changed to say roam. Is it possible to reprogram the sim apn I wonder
    Superfluous is your phone a factory unlocked UK or north American one that was unlocked from carrier
    02-18-13 11:30 PM
    I had to return my Canadian (fido) z10 for this exact reason.. Apn was greyed out and could not be changed.
    I've done a bit of research and asking around... So far all the Rogers/fido/telus/kodoo all show the same behavior.. The only people I have found who have stated that they could change the Apn have been from the U.K. with some reporting that they could change the Apn, but the phone would not actually save the new Apn...

I have my doubts this will change anytime soon.. Blackberry did this on purpose for the Canadian carriers to enforce people onto new plans.. Especially people on legacy bis/blackberry plans which traditionally also allowed smartphone data through the same Apn...

I'll come back to blackberry if they ever allow us full use of the phone
    MaungLmm likes this.
    02-18-13 11:56 PM
    I have white 4g Z10 - bought in UK - no problem with changing APN

Have black Z10 from UAE - can do with APN whatever I want.

I am the master of my phones, lol

Apparently North American operators like making it difficult for the users to play with sims and APN even if they unlock it for you.

Kind of they know better what you need.

That is why it makes sense buying factory unlocked phones. No problem with updates. No problems with settings. Work everywhere as expected.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 02:20 AM
    I have unlocked Z10 and can enter whatever APN I like.

Posted via CB10
    Seems unlocked devices should be able to change APN settings, but NA carriers have put some sort of block?

I have white 4g Z10 - bought in UK - no problem with changing APN

Have black Z10 from UAE - can do with APN whatever I want.

I am the master of my phones, lol

Apparently North American operators like making it difficult for the users to play with sims and APN even if they unlock it for you.

Kind of they know better what you need.

That is why it makes sense buying factory unlocked phones. No problem with updates. No problems with settings. Work everywhere as expected.

Posted via CB10
    Considering you're a (self proclaimed ) master of your phones, have you been able to get LTE connection in the UAE on your 4G UK device?
    02-19-13 03:35 AM
    Yes, based on the reports so far a number of carriers prevent manual changes to the apn. This appears to be somehow done via the sim. Even in Europe they don't all work. BlackBerry screwed the pooch on this one and should really unlock the apn setting all together.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 03:39 AM
    I unlocked my phone via the crackberry site as many have.
    I have a Telus Z10 which I upgraded from my 9900.
    I too cannot modify my APN settings with my new T-Mobile SIM.

However, the good news is that after a hard boot, most everything is working:
    • Voice of course which I have unlimited minutes
    • TXTing of course which I also have unlimited messages
    • Data - 2GB plan and using GPS which is awesome. I have my Nuvi 2595 and the Z10 is as fast or faster and is as accurate or more accurate. I run both simultaneously and will do so for the week I am down in the US. So far it looks like I won't be packing my 2595 on future trips.
    • BBM - I purchased BIS add-on for $10 to stay in touch with my BBM contacts

Loving Visiual Voicemail that T-Mobile provides on the Z10. Wish that Telus would join the ranks They have it for iPhone and Droids so not sure why they don't provide this for Z10. I love visual vmail and hope Telus one day will get with the program.

The only thing not working and a bit annoying is I cannot use the phone as a hotspot. Not a deal breaker but definitely desirable.
    T-Mobile guy tells me he needs to tweak the APN settings slightly and he could provide me the access.
    He wasn't sure if it was BBRY, TELUS or T-MOBILE locking the APN settings.

Other than hotspot, I have everything working and am loving the cost savings.

I am already over 800MB of use in 3 days, GPS a good part of that, which under Telus I would already be over $700 with their roaming charges.

Loving my unlocked Z10 and the freedom it is now providing me.

It would be great if we could all figure out exactly why the APN settings are locked out and whether there is hope of unlocking them. I definitely would like to have the hotspot functionality as I need to provide remote IT support and this would allow me to connect my Playbook or laptop to remotely access the sites I support.
    02-19-13 10:13 AM
    APN settings being grayed out have nothing to do with you phone. Blackberry has given carriers the option to either disable or enable the feature. Canadian carriers have chosen to have the feature disabled if you put their sim in your z10, but as soon as you put a uk sim in, voila you can enter APN settings. It's all up to the carriers.
    02-19-13 10:45 AM
100 123 ...