So my blackberry decided to die out yesterday and won't start and my 2 batteries either aren't charging or something else is wrong with the phone that keeps it from starting up.

I'm not looking to stay with BB if this one doesn't start up again by this coming weekend when I will get a new phone because I don't trust the reliability.

Any people have suggestions on what they found to be a good alternative brand and model to a z10 (I'm more likely to choose android or windows over iPhone) and I have Verizon.

I use the phone for my alarm, flashlight, gps (waze and bb maps presently), texting, internet searches, personal and work email (my work uses outlook but not an exchange), facebook, and would like hotspot capability and voice recognition to make calls, find addresses, and send texts and emails. I'm not a gamer.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    My Collection (all device safely stored), Nexus 1, Nexus 2, Nexus 3, Nexus 4, Nexus 5. LG : Net, G2mini, P715. Lenovo S880, P770i, P780,S920. HTC : Rhyme, Incredible S, Incredible S Verizon, Hero, Legend, G2, Thunderbolt,G1, HD2, HD7, Desire VC, One V, One Dual, Butterfly, Flyer, windows S, windows X. Alactel : 2 phones, Sony : Xperia U, Z Ultra, ZR, Z1 Compact, Z3 Compact. Samsung : Grand Duos, S3 mini, S2, Ace, Ace 2, Chat, Ace 3, S2 T Mobile (Hercules). Nokia : N9 (2 units), N90 (2 unit), Lumia 520, Lumia 820. Zyrex : S985, Mito : Incredible, Huawei : Ascend P1, D1 Quad XL, ZTE AccessGo. Dell : Venue, Streak 5. Apple : iPhone 3, 4s. Blackberry : Jevelin,Monza, Odin 1, Odin 2, Z10 stl100-1 Limited Editon, Z10- stl-100-1 (dead without reason), Z10-stl-100-2, Q10, Z30, P9982.

I was jailed with google account thus I use Z3 compact for 2nd device, but for MAIN daily device I used Z10 STL-100-1 Limited Editon. Z10 is my favorite device due to "the screen size", smooth and great layout on keyboard, brighter looks and nice fonths. I'm not tech savy, just do little android dev for hobby. Knowing little about linux kernel. I regret with Z30 screen size but love battery capacity. Android platform is famous. But QNX is the best. Im going to switch to STL-100-2 due to my country introducing 4G in Jakarta and Bali. QNX is the real "swipe" device, solid engineering and nice built, great precision on hardware (including casing).

My suggestion stick with Z10, bought today very cheap great device Z10. Unless you are a gamer. My Z10 has been using for mobile banking, with parrot pro I can safely recording all business phone calls, recording discussion on meeting and a lot more gentleman needs to support his works ...
    12-22-14 10:58 AM
    Thanks for the suggestions on the phones. I went to Verizon yesterday. The people at Verizon tried to get the Z10 started with their chargers, etc but had no luck either with either of my batteries. I checked the Samsung Galaxy 4 (not the note version). Its about the same size as the Z10 so it should fit my bike mount and other accessories which will be good plus it uses the micro usb. The Droid Maxx would be good but its a little to long for my liking and the accessories I have even though the battery life is supposed to be exceptional. The Verizon store also gave me a loaner LG phone with texting and voice until I get a replacement smart phone. Very cool.
    russworman and Michael Liang like this.
    12-22-14 11:11 AM
    Thanks for the suggestions on the phones. I went to Verizon yesterday. The people at Verizon tried to get the Z10 started with their chargers, etc but had no luck either with either of my batteries. I checked the Samsung Galaxy 4 (not the note version). Its about the same size as the Z10 so it should fit my bike mount and other accessories which will be good plus it uses the micro usb. The Droid Maxx would be good but its a little to long for my liking and the accessories I have even though the battery life is supposed to be exceptional. The Verizon store also gave me a loaner LG phone with texting and voice until I get a replacement smart phone. Very cool.
    All those comments providing alternative BlackBerry solutions and you'll just be spitting on them all by move to another platform. SMH!

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    Last edited by Carmels; 12-23-14 at 09:17 AM.
    12-23-14 07:03 AM
    I believe that many blackberry users can be unbiased and offer useful suggestions about other products. I don't find a phone that simply stops working to be high on any reliability scale that I know of. I found that my phone's present problem that makes it un-usable has been the subject of other threads and the problem wasn't resolved according to the threads so I don't want to have get another phone with this prospective problem.
    Yup. I am unbiased. We have all phones OS's in our company. Get a Z30. Plain and simple.
    12-23-14 07:41 AM
    "All those comments providing alternative BlackBerry solutions and you'll just be spitting on them all by move to another platform. SMH!"

Yes Master.
    12-23-14 01:22 PM
    @bluenose63

I dont' want the z30 because i have to replace accessories that it won't fit in, but I could get a used z10 to tide me over till my Verizon contract lets me upgrade and make a decision then, but taking everything into account, I'm edging to getting a used verizon Samsung galaxy s4 to see if I like android better or would rather go back to blackberry when I can upgrade. There's no question I like the swiping part of the OS10 system and I like the Hub to coordinate my communications, but I don't like the limitations blackberry has with using google and many apps that google play has available that just don't work well or at all on blackberry.
    12-23-14 01:29 PM
    Well I found a good reasonably priced used z10 as well as a playbook on ebay from a seller in the city where I live so I connected up last night and bought it to replace my existing dead z10 and I'm in the process of transferring everything to it. Notably the fresh batteries I purchased as part of the package had no effect on reviving my dead z10. The choice was cost and familiarity with the product and features I know how to use when needed until I have the choice to get a new android under contract which is still possibility next year. In any event thanks for the input even from Mikey.
    12-24-14 11:28 AM
    Thanks for the further replies. I've had the phone for probably 18 months and have been using a 10.3.1.600 leaked OS and it has been nothing but trouble in terms of connecting up to charge the batteries. It died 2 days ago when I was using it. It was working and I was checking emails, then I turned it off and put it away because I wouldn't be using it again for several hours that day. But I thought of something I wanted to check, and when to turn it on, and it would not restart and hasn't since. I'll try your suggestion III 4U2NV III III 4U2NV III
    If you have a spare battery and the separate charging cradle (see picture below), I would try charging the batteries in it instead of the phone.

Need alternative phone to replace z10 that won't start and probably is dead? thoughts-img_20141224_123433.jpg

Posted via CB10 1.7.1 on my Z10 10.2.1.3062 on the Rogers Network
    12-24-14 11:35 AM
    Have you confirmed that the charger works?

Posted via CB10 1.7.1 on my Z10 10.2.1.3062 on the Rogers Network
    12-24-14 11:38 AM
    @bluenose63

I dont' want the z30 because i have to replace accessories that it won't fit in, but I could get a used z10 to tide me over till my Verizon contract lets me upgrade and make a decision then, but taking everything into account, I'm edging to getting a used verizon Samsung galaxy s4 to see if I like android better or would rather go back to blackberry when I can upgrade. There's no question I like the swiping part of the OS10 system and I like the Hub to coordinate my communications, but I don't like the limitations blackberry has with using google and many apps that google play has available that just don't work well or at all on blackberry.
    Makes no sense. You don't want a Z30 because of accessories, yet you will go to Android and need new accessories.
    12-24-14 04:22 PM
    Makes no sense. You don't want a Z30 because of accessories, yet you will go to Android and need new accessories.
    Right... what new accessories? A new phone case and a screen protector. What else?

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 05:35 PM
    Won't need new accessories with Samsung s4 it's same size as z10 and uses micro USB and it will fit my bike mount case

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 05:21 PM
    It is your choice totally.. take it to service center and even than it doesn't work than these phones would be nice alternative....

HTC desire 816
    Lumia 730

I must say these phones has much best display but the built quality is very good in z10.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 12:07 PM
    Won't need new accessories with Samsung s4 it's same size as z10 and uses micro USB and it will fit my bike mount case
    It's kind of strange thinking to go for a $650 phone and worry about a bike mount case for... how much... $50? You know better, of course. It's your money.
    12-26-14 02:29 PM
    So my blackberry decided to die out yesterday and won't start and my 2 batteries either aren't charging or something else is wrong with the phone that keeps it from starting up.

I'm not looking to stay with BB if this one doesn't start up again by this coming weekend when I will get a new phone because I don't trust the reliability.

Any people have suggestions on what they found to be a good alternative brand and model to a z10 (I'm more likely to choose android or windows over iPhone) and I have Verizon.

I use the phone for my alarm, flashlight, gps (waze and bb maps presently), texting, internet searches, personal and work email (my work uses outlook but not an exchange), facebook, and would like hotspot capability and voice recognition to make calls, find addresses, and send texts and emails. I'm not a gamer.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Try running an autoloader with the batteries out. You might have a corrupted os. Once a battery is installed it would attempt to load the corrupt is and get stuck. Battery out allows the phone to load the bootrom. Which is all that is needed to install drivers and reflash with an autoloader. You might need to be connected to the Internet and try different usb ports and / or turn the phone off then on while it's plugged into the usb port to trigger off the driver installation. Then when you fix it you can sell it and buy a passport or Z30.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 02:37 PM
    I'm having the exact same problem as Cyberman2013,
    What are the exact steps to run an autoloader?

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 06:06 PM
    What are the exact steps to run an autoloader?
    Read sticky threads in Leaks/Beta OS section. You'll find there everything you need to know.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 06:39 PM
    See the "Z10 is dead" thread... will be confirming this shortly.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 06:45 PM
    Reading comprehension in this thread is terrible.

OP said he has VERIZON. So no matter your bias or open mindedness to other platforms, phones like the OnePlus One, Nexus 5, and the Amazon Fire phone are not good options. The phone should ideally be a Verizon-branded CDMA device if you want to make the transition as painless as possible. Even an unlocked CDMA model can give you trouble, as Verizon has been known to lockout IMEI numbers that aren't recongnized by their system. .
    12-26-14 07:07 PM
    OP said he has VERIZON. So no matter your bias or open mindedness to other platforms, phones like the OnePlus One, Nexus 5, and the Amazon Fire phone are not good options.
    Isn't it possible to port the number to another carrier in US? CDMA phone is good in few countries only.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 07:40 PM
    Isn't it possible to port the number to another carrier in US? CDMA phone is good in few countries only.

Posted via CB10
    Of course it is possible. But what is more reasonable? Switching devices and staying with the same carrier that one is already happy with? Or breaking a two-year contract with a carrier you have no problem with, to switch carriers and port your number simply for access to a different device?

As for "CDMA phone is good in few countries only." Where CDMA is good or not is only relevant if the user foresees themselves needing compatibility in regions where their current carrier offers none... AND many CDMA phones that Verizon offers also offer GSM functionality when needed.
    12-26-14 08:39 PM
    Or breaking a two-year contract with a carrier you have no problem with, to switch carriers and port your number simply for access to a different device?
    I never had a phone on contract, hence different thinking. First I buy the device I like, then chose a carrier to go with. This way I get better price on both the device and service plan, plus the ability to jump to another carrier in case I don't like the services.
    12-26-14 09:11 PM
    I never had a phone on contract, hence different thinking. First I buy the device I like, then chose a carrier to go with. This way I get better price on both the device and service plan, plus the ability to jump to another carrier in case I don't like the services.
    That's certainly one way to do things. But the OP is in quite a different position. See below.

I've had my z10 since April 2013 and I waited and used a very outdated BB Storm II just to get the z10 when it finally came out while everyone else I know was switching out to other manufacturers so I've been dedicated to using blackberry... ...I might price a used z10 to get me through April when I can upgrade with Verizon but I can also get a used Droid Maxx or Samsung S4 or S4 Mini for about $100.
    I dont' want the z30 because i have to replace accessories that it won't fit in, but I could get a used z10 to tide me over till my Verizon contract lets me upgrade and make a decision then...
    The choice was cost and familiarity with the product and features I know how to use when needed until I have the choice to get a new android under contract which is still possibility next year.
    12-26-14 11:50 PM
    You're right. Looks like OP got a Z10 already. Case closed.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ed-z10-985869/
    12-27-14 06:09 AM
    Yep got a used z10 and used playbook on ebay to get me through my contract with verizon. Thanks again for the comments and suggestions.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 01:25 AM
88 1234