Has anyone noticed that the BlackBerry navigation app drains battery faster than the charger can keep charged? I've had not plugged in for a 30-40 mile drive and even while plugged in to a car charger it is draining.
    05-27-13 11:04 AM
    By any chance, when you plug it in to your car charger does a message pop up on the screen saying something to the effect of "your phone would charge faster if it was connected to the original charger it came with"? If so, its telling you that the charger you are using, while it will charge your phone, is not designed to charge it at a rate that will exceed any extra strain on the battery. If you are using OS 10.1 it should display this message. I have a 1.8A charger in my work vehicle and it charges fine while using Maps or Waze. Its only when I use the 0.7A charger in my gf's car that it doesn't charge while using Maps or Waze. The Z10 and even Q10 battery require a higher input than the older BB batteries did.
    bintheredundat likes this.
    05-27-13 11:18 AM
    Navigation apps tend to use up more resources then others because of position triangulation, map loading and rendering and stuff like that.
    On top of that you are driving, depending on the area, your radio is continuous looking for signals and jumping cell towers.
    Throw your syncing on top of that plus any other task you set it to do and your phone is quit busy.
    I don't know what firmware you are using but it also might have to do something with that.

I used 10.1 with Endomondo while cycling through the countryside for about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
    In the meantime I took some pictures and was listening to music the whole time, my battery drained with 25%.
    05-27-13 11:39 AM
    Are you sure your car charger puts out enough juice to charge your phone? I will try it on mine when I get a chance.
    05-27-13 11:40 AM
    get yourself a 1.8A car charger.

They sell them on crackberry.com

http://ca.crackberry.com/blackberry-...r/5AA11480.htm

i recommend buying it with this if you need a BB music gateway

http://ca.crackberry.com/blackberry-...1A29A11438.htm

You can get both for $60
    05-27-13 11:42 AM
    By any chance, when you plug it in to your car charger does a message pop up on the screen saying something to the effect of "your phone would charge faster if it was connected to the original charger it came with"? If so, its telling you that the charger you are using, while it will charge your phone, is not designed to charge it at a rate that will exceed any extra strain on the battery. If you are using OS 10.1 it should display this message. I have a 1.8A charger in my work vehicle and it charges fine while using Maps or Waze. Its only when I use the 0.7A charger in my gf's car that it doesn't charge while using Maps or Waze. The Z10 and even Q10 battery require a higher input than the older BB batteries did.
    No, I don't get that message but I'm still on stock att so don't know if it would. I'm just using the same car charger I use for my iPhone 5. Not sure how much juice it supplies.
    05-27-13 01:51 PM
    Anything that uses that much data to coordinate whereabouts, gps to acquire location, and cpu to draw the maps, is going to severely pound any phones battery
    05-27-13 02:02 PM
    Anything that uses that much data to coordinate whereabouts, gps to acquire location, and cpu to draw the maps, is going to severely pound any phones battery
    I'm gonna get slaughtered for saying this, but my iPhone 5 didn't drain that fast with GPS up and running.
    05-27-13 02:04 PM
    Try sideloading Google maps and see if that helps.
    05-27-13 02:08 PM
    GPS navigation will drain the battery, of course.

Posted via CB10 on a Q10 or a Z10, either way it's golden.
    05-27-13 02:09 PM
    The official BlackBerry car charger is the best option for keeping the phone running when using GPS navigation.

Posted via CB10 on a Q10 or a Z10, either way it's golden.
    05-27-13 02:09 PM
    I was definitely not using the official charger. I was using a third party extra that I have in the car. I'll try Google maps as well. Does it work better than the stock Maps app?
    05-27-13 02:20 PM
    I'm gonna get slaughtered for saying this, but my iPhone 5 didn't drain that fast with GPS up and running.
    No need in slaughtering, it could just be that the iPhone doesn't require as much power flowing in to charge the battery. This has been a known "issue" if you will for lack of a better term, with the Z10 since release. It states in the manual somewhere that it requires a higher flow of power in to charge the phone correctly. I use my PlayBook wall charger (1.8A) for my Z10 at home and it works fine. I also have Premium BlackBerry Car Charger (1.8A) that I use in my car and it also works fine. The lower chargers (0.7A for example) will charge the phone, just at a slower rate and if the phone is being used for some power intensive (ie. navigation) app, then it will not be able to keep up with the out going power consumption. There are a couple of threads and even a CB blog post somewhere in here explaining the charger "issue" with the Z10.
    05-27-13 02:45 PM
    its normal, my z10 drains batt and also gets hot when using my blackberry maps/gps. I always have a spare so im good....
    05-27-13 02:59 PM
    I was definitely not using the official charger. I was using a third party extra that I have in the car. I'll try Google maps as well. Does it work better than the stock Maps app?
    To be honest I was satisfied with both Google and BlackBerry maps. Tested them out for a similar route and the results were both identical. You will see on the forums that people have complained that the time for arrival on BlackBerry maps is WAY off. I haven't seen that, yet. But you should try it out just for gaging battery performance.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 07:04 PM
    To be honest I was satisfied with both Google and BlackBerry maps. Tested them out for a similar route and the results were both identical. You will see on the forums that people have complained that the time for arrival on BlackBerry maps is WAY off. I haven't seen that, yet. But you should try it out just for gaging battery performance.

Posted via CB10
    We used BlackBerry maps today and it was not very accurate. I've used Google Maps with my iPhone and love it so may just stick with that. It's next on my list to try when I need directions.
    05-27-13 07:07 PM
    The nice thing about the official charger is you can charge 2 phones at once.
    05-27-13 07:07 PM
    I'm addicted to using Waze when driving around the city... but yea, eats the battery because of the constant polling for cops traffic and accidents

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 07:32 PM
    Yes I have used BlackBerry Maps for turn by turn navigation and it will run down your battery a bit. Any app that requires location services will run down you battery more.
    05-27-13 07:45 PM
    I believe it's more a signal strength issue than platform as my wife has an iPhone and some times hers is great navigating and other times it dies sooo fast. I do notice that watching her useage being a woman (always on it FBing or texting or what ever) she plugs hers in sooner during the day than I do.

Sent from my super secret shoe device using Tapatalk HD
    05-27-13 08:27 PM
    I believe it's more a signal strength issue than platform as my wife has an iPhone and some times hers is great navigating and other times it dies sooo fast. I do notice that watching her useage being a woman (always on it FBing or texting or what ever) she plugs hers in sooner during the day than I do.

Sent from my super secret shoe device using Tapatalk HD
    Lol. Hey, I'm a woman. I am on my gadgets a lot but not compared to my husband!
    bbfan1040 and BB_Junky like this.
    05-27-13 08:46 PM
    I use Waze, while bluetoothed to the car either streaming music from the phone or slacker and still can charge my phone from the car charger. Though if I am using slacker it is close to a push with power consumption.
    05-27-13 08:51 PM
    Check this: on your in car charger, check the fine print on it which displays the output amperage. You should see something like
    Input: (voltage and amperage)
    Output: 5volts and a certain amperage.

If the output amperage is less than 850ma, then it's not sufficient enough. Chances are that it is lower, thus it can't keep up with the z10.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 10:14 PM
    Nope. In fact, just the opposite.
    05-27-13 10:19 PM
    Check this: on your in car charger, check the fine print on it which displays the output amperage. You should see something like
    Input: (voltage and amperage)
    Output: 5volts and a certain amperage.

If the output amperage is less than 850ma, then it's not sufficient enough. Chances are that it is lower, thus it can't keep up with the z10.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the tip. I'll check in the morning.
    05-27-13 11:13 PM
36 12