My Z10 vs My 9900

I'm sure this has already been brought up, but I don't have time to read and jump into comments late.

I�ve been waiting for a Blackberry to perform the way my Z10 does. Which should be fast, smart, and keep the abilities and features that older Blackberry�s have and most phones do not. I�m hoping Blackberry includes some of the features that I�m about to rant about in the upcoming updates.

I thought my 9900 was going to be my favorite phone. It had every option I needed! Minus a front camera (which is not big deal). The problem was performance, I would always catch myself stuck staring at the hour glass, or missing a few key apps. I kept using it though despite these small issues. I thought I would just wait until the next Blackberry which would sure be MUCH better�

With all that time building a brand new OS, I think they forgot how great blackberry was and what they really only needed to improve on. Now they did a great job redesigning it but left a lot out. Yes, it may come in the next couple updates. Though, it should have been crucial to have in the beginning. I would just hate to have to go to my second choice.

Simple things�

Lock screen � With the Z10 I thought they would have a simple 4 digit PIN option for security. I would only prefer this for touch screen devices. If I was using the Q10 I wouldn�t mind typing a password with a physical keyboard. Or if they would just let me use consecutive numbers/characters like my 9900!

Dialer � With my 9900 I could just press and hold a number and tah dah! I had an option to call or text. With my Z10 I have an extra step, press and hold the number, press view call details then select text.
    Yes it�s there, but it�s an extra step which my 9900 didn�t HAVE. Remember my point to this is that I wish my Z10 was still like my 9900. Please keep reading I�m only sharing my opinion.

Call History � With my 9900, press and hold a number boom! The entire call history for that number! With my Z10, I get call details�cool only for that day. I frequently use this feature. There are times when I need to see the exact time of the same number through the entire number of times I called that number. My 9900 did it!

Home screen � With my 9900, I had Full Date/time included natively on the home screen. Not to mention the best part of the home screen was the notification bar. Every notification was there in plain sight! Beautiful! With my Z10- I do like the peek feature when I�m within an app. I just don�t like having to pull down the notification bar for the date when it should be there just like my 9900.

Sound Profiles � WITH MY 9900! I had the count option !!! Which was one of my favorite features !

SMS � I don�t understand why they included an icon for SMS if it�s going to take me to the hub anyway.
    I could go on and on about extra steps they put between me and my Z10 which normally would be soooo easy on my 9900.

I just don�t get why I have to keep waiting for update. Which probably wouldn't bring back any of these old features.

�. I have to go on..

Other features on my 9900

Social feeds � BBM, Facebook, Twitter, RSS feeds. Used them all and Loved Social feeds. I don�t care who thinks it�s useless or complicated people think it is. It was great.

Pictures � Simple press and hold a picture, select move into folder. Done. Z10�Go to File manager.

Convenience Key � Set it to whatever I wanted ! Z10�n/a

All I want is 9900 features in a Z10.

and NEEDLESS to say there is a lot of pros to the Z10. Again, this is just my opinion that I had to let out. whether or not anyone has already complained about.
    04-23-13 09:39 PM
    I 100 percent felt exactly like you do right now for the first few weeks of owning my Z10, but you get used to it. Trust me, you're so etched into the old way of using your phone, that you're not really as ready for something like this as you think. Keep moving and it WILL get easier. You'll stop having to think and everything will just become fluid.
    cmlpwr likes this.
    04-23-13 09:50 PM
    I agree too, there are "a few" features from the older OS but man, I sure don't think twice about it. I've adapted rather quickly and know more features will come in due time.

Posted via CB10
    cmlpwr likes this.
    04-23-13 10:04 PM
    I agree with the point on social feeds. I liked that app, miss it.

Posted via CB10
    cmlpwr likes this.
    04-23-13 10:07 PM
    Great post. Agreed!

Posted via CB10
    cmlpwr likes this.
    04-23-13 10:17 PM
    I've had the Z10 for almost two months now. I can completely navigate it fluidly. Still doesn't minus the extra steps though. I think I will switch to the Q10 and hope for future updates I guess. Thanks
    04-23-13 10:25 PM
    9900 besides not being LTE was a flawless device.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-13 10:26 PM
    Agreed, I also miss features from my 9930, especially the notification bar across the top with time, mini icons, battery level, cell/wifi signal. I would love to have the date appear on the home screen too. These features could be set as optional so they could be turned off or on by the user. And I also miss Social Feeds.

But my most missed feature is profiles! I want the ability to set a Normal profile with custom vibrations (count and length) and sounds for each notification type and then create a "Work" profile that is the same as Normal but with the volumes turned way down. Don't need or want everyone at work hearing my alerts. One quick profile change and it was done, now it takes multiple steps.

I hope some or all of these will come back in updates to BB10. I love the rest of it though! Just needs a few tweaks.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-13 10:28 PM
    I don't own a BB10 device yet. I have been holding out for a Q10. But like the OP, I really appreciate the details of the legacy BBOS. The level of control a BB gave you was so under rated. Sure, it did not have all of the fancy apps but for a business/power user nothing cold be beat.

I think of phones like cars. They all do the same thing but it is in how they do it that makes you build a loyalty to a brand. I like BMWs because I like the way they feel on the road. Their approach to driving is unique and distinguished. The same thing with a BB. BB has a way of doing things that is just unbeatable. They shouldn't lose that because they are trying to catch up. To me, these items should have been the first things to make it into the OS.
    cmlpwr likes this.
    04-23-13 10:32 PM
    Agreed, I also miss features from my 9930, especially the notification bar across the top with time, mini icons, battery level, cell/wifi signal. I would love to have the date appear on the home screen too. These features could be set as optional so they could be turned off or on by the user. And I also miss Social Feeds.

But my most missed feature is profiles! I want the ability to set a Normal profile with custom vibrations (count and length) and sounds for each notification type and then create a "Work" profile that is the same as Normal but with the volumes turned way down. Don't need or want everyone at work hearing my alerts. One quick profile change and it was done, now it takes multiple steps.

I hope some or all of these will come back in updates to BB10. I love the rest of it though! Just needs a few tweaks.

Posted via CB10
    VERY much agree on the sound profiles. Couldn't be too hard to provide some of the simple legacy features...I would enjoy and use them...

Posted via CB10
    04-23-13 10:33 PM
    100% - they are unique and distinguished features.
    I don't own a BB10 device yet. I have been holding out for a Q10. But like the OP, I really appreciate the details of the legacy BBOS. The level of control a BB gave you was so under rated. Sure, it did not have all of the fancy apps but for a business/power user nothing cold be beat.

I think of phones like cars. They all do the same thing but it is in how they do it that makes you build a loyalty to a brand. I like BMWs because I like the way they feel on the road. Their approach to driving is unique and distinguished. The same thing with a BB. BB has a way of doing things that is just unbeatable. They shouldn't lose that because they are trying to catch up. To me, these items should have been the first things to make it into the OS.
    Last edited by cmlpwr; 04-23-13 at 11:13 PM.
    04-23-13 10:38 PM
    Excellent post! Great points everyone... I do miss things like the notification bar, date and time, etc...
    But to me not having to deal with hour glass, or reboot after every install, is enough to make me appreciate my Z10. Not bashing my 9900 (I still love my device) but it's true. My $0.02

Posted via CB10
    04-23-13 10:47 PM
    Agree with this thread, thanks for sharing.

The first 3 days of using my Z10, I forgot those features in my 9900 already because I need to adapt to my Z10. But after I need to return my phone because it was dead, I felt like wow this 9900 has made me attached to it. But life must go on, so I have prepared to leave my 9900 when my new Z10 comes.

For some people, like me, change is needed to improve right? I feel Z10 could fill cons from my 9900 with new BB10 software even i need to adapt to it.
    04-23-13 10:53 PM
    I'm sure this has already been brought up, but I don't have time to read and jump into comments late.
    Says he doesn't have time, writes a huge f'n post. Makes sense.

Posted via CB10
    phylez and SDTRMG like this.
    04-23-13 11:24 PM
    Everyday a thread like this is posted not sure how you didn't find one, I can link 10.

Either way thanks for saying, bit people won't and but need to understand bbos was older then ios and android so of course it was packed full of features, im not saying bb10 decices will get all of them but they will come in time, but TIME is the key word. Rome wasn't built in a 4 months and it was no where near fixed 2 years down the line.

Bbos, android, and ios(lol), are very mature os's with 5 years + work put in to them, it's unfair to ridicule and hate on BlackBerry for what "You Feel" the phone should be.

While building bb10 with limited funds and staff they were also working to keep a multi-billion dollar company alive.

Don't get me wrong I would have loved for the z10 to be delivered with ever function, but in reality we wouldn't have seen bb10 till late this year early 2014.

Apple started building ios in 2002 after the iPad prototype sparked his thought of an iPhone. 2007 the iPhone was released, 5 years later.

Android was first developed to be a camera software, and when the camera industry died, they started making a smartphone os, which was actually a copy of bbos at the time. 2005 Google bought them, within a year the ceo of Google and others seen the iPhone, and went to work revamping android to be iphone like. 2009 android was released.

Everything takes time, your not born a adult, you mature overtime. (some do some dont).

Still a great read though, and after trying the 10.1 leak I'm sure you'll be slightly pleased when it's released.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 12:15 AM
    Everyday a thread like this is posted not sure how you didn't find one, I can link 10.

Either way thanks for saying, bit people won't and but need to understand bbos was older then ios and android so of course it was packed full of features, im not saying bb10 decices will get all of them but they will come in time, but TIME is the key word. Rome wasn't built in a 4 months and it was no where near fixed 2 years down the line.

Bbos, android, and ios(lol), are very mature os's with 5 years + work put in to them, it's unfair to ridicule and hate on BlackBerry for what "You Feel" the phone should be.

While building bb10 with limited funds and staff they were also working to keep a multi-billion dollar company alive.

Don't get me wrong I would have loved for the z10 to be delivered with ever function, but in reality we wouldn't have seen bb10 till late this year early 2014.

Apple started building ios in 2002 after the iPad prototype sparked his thought of an iPhone. 2007 the iPhone was released, 5 years later.

Android was first developed to be a camera software, and when the camera industry died, they started making a smartphone os, which was actually a copy of bbos at the time. 2005 Google bought them, within a year the ceo of Google and others seen the iPhone, and went to work revamping android to be iphone like. 2009 android was released.

Everything takes time, your not born a adult, you mature overtime. (some do some dont).

Still a great read though, and after trying the 10.1 leak I'm sure you'll be slightly pleased when it's released.

Posted via CB10
    Great post, some BB users want all changes to be huge, but then realize they don't want a totally new device, haha. These things will be adjusted as the 10 develops. Also for non Blackberry user to discredit BB because it struggled behind for a couple years is just ignorance at its finest. All in a name I guess...perception is easier than inspection.
    If BB is going to get back to the front of the pack, Apple and Android users are gonna need a reason to come back.

Posted via Naked BlackBerry Z10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    04-24-13 12:36 AM
    Date is now shown on the Calender icon, which is now active, in addition to the Setting Tab that is opened from the top.
    04-24-13 12:42 AM