I tried to resist, but I couldn't anymore. It was early April 2013. The BlackBerry Z10 had been available in Canada for a month. I didn't have enough money to buy outright and there's no way I'm getting back into a contract. I had only a few dollars in my savings account. My options were limited.

The only way I could acquire a BlackBerry Z10 would be through the used market. And the only way I could raise funds, was to sell some stuff. I love my video games, but with 2 rambunctious children in my house, the time to put into playing video games wasn't there anymore. I had found the source of income. Sony Playstation 3, Sega Dreamcast, Nintendo Entertainment System. All items sold within a week. About 75% of the money was raised, but I still needed more. My BlackBerry Playbook.

My PlayBook was used on a daily basis and I really did enjoy the device. But I needed the sacrifice to make my purchase. If BB10 was a good as it was hyped up to be, the Z10 would replace the need for my Playbook. It was sold on Kijiji and I finally had enough to buy my BlackBerry Z10!

After scouring Kijiji, many to choose from, some with cords and boxes, many without, I made my choice. Box, cords, headphones, transformer case, mint condition. I was ecstatic. My life with BB10 had begun.

My first month with the Z10 was glorious. I had become the 'expert' in my company on the device. Games, emails, shooting videos, pictures, sweeping and swiping, this device was a joy to use. I had thought this was one of the best decisions I ever made on an electronic purchase. That was, until this past week.

"Device Pin Blocked". What was this? A message just popped up on my Z10. The message wouldn't go away and I couldn't use the Z10 anymore. This wasn't good. I made my phone call to BlackBerry Tech Support.

On BlackBerry's system, my Z10 was listed as a 'lost' device and promptly shut down. The Device Pin Blocked was BlackBerry's method of killing the phone. Other than the boot up screens with BlackBerry and Rogers logos, the phone did nothing. The only way to unblock the phone was to provide a receipt of purchase. Something I did not have.

After discussing the situation with some coworkers, one mentioned to me that his spouse worked at BlackBerry so I forwarded my device information. After some investigation, it was found that my device was an internal only model. Not for public use or sale. Since it was never officially sold, there is no receipt of purchase.

No PlayStation 3. No Dreamcast. No Nintendo. No Playbook. No Z10. No receipt. No money. I was completely screwed.

The state of shock I was in lasted a couple of days. I had no options. BlackBerry had not done anything wrong. Rogers wasn't involved in the shutdown. The phone was a brick. Even the Z10 box had a different serial number than the phone. Yeah, I was duped.

I turned to the CrackBerry forums to tell my tale. Mainly, I used it as a place to warn of the risks of buying used. Many expressed their sympathies. Some suggested BlackBerry should give me a new phone as a PR move. A nice idea, but I could totally see that getting abused by the wrong people. People offered to give a dollar, with the hopes of enough people on CrackBerry, that I could get another phone. Once again, really nice idea and I totally appreciate the thought. But I didn't feel like I deserved it. It was my mistake, I should deal with it myself.

Then the bright glimmer of one CrackBerry member that reminded me, that humanity can really amaze.

I received a Private Message from this CB member telling me his history of his BlackBerry ownership. Including his desire to purchase the Z10 as soon as he could. The Z10 missed the mark in one key area for him, so a different device was purchased. This new device won his heart and he was ready to put the Z10 up on eBay. Until he ready my story on the CB Forums.

He offered me his BlackBerry Z10 on the promise that I "use the hell out of it". Tears almost came to my eyes. I couldn't believe that someone, who I have never met, could be so generous in helping. I absolutely took him up on the offer and thanked him numerous times.

2 weeks have passed and the device is finally in hand! I am back on the Z10 bandwagon and this time, I really hope I don't get pushed off.
    06-06-13 08:43 AM
    That really is an amazing story. This is why I love this community so much. It always sucks to see people duped out of their belongings and money, some people out there are just down right cheats. I'm glad this member stepped forward to help you out. Big kudo's goes out to him. Now get that thing protected with a case, and do as promised, use it like hell
    06-06-13 09:09 AM
    Wow that's amazing, glad to hear great things like that still exist.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-13 09:22 AM