Rear camera was fine then started having flickering magenta/purple bands (Yes I have TMo, no its not a carrier feature to colorize my pix) about two weeks ago.

I've uninstalled apps, shut down camera access by apps (where possible), performed battery pulls, etc.

Today I've performed a wipe and fresh install of 10.3.1.1779. No improvement.

The front camera is fine. The rear camera has flickering vertical bands of magenta and recurring 'camera cannot be opened'.

Suggestions?

(This Z10 was NIB as a family spare and only activated in the last 60 days with 10.2.x, never dropped, and is in protective case.)
    04-12-15 08:32 PM
    Has the problem started after the phone had been dropped or exposed to water?

From the steps you've tried, it doesn't seem like a software issue. To be 100% sure you could use CFP wipe and use the an autoloader of the latest official OS (10.3.1.2xxx). If the camera still has issues right after the install, it's almost certainly a hardware issue.

In that case, you could try ordering a camera for 8$~ + shipping from the net (etradesupply). If its the camera unit, it's a easy fix. Or else, it's the main board and that's expensive and hard to find outside of the approved retailer.

Posted via CB10
    Did it do this on its original OS?

Have you looked at the lens? No covering or protective material?

When you reloaded that OS, did you also do a restore? Have you tried immediately after loading the OS.

Have you tried another OS for your model device?
    04-13-15 12:01 AM
    Has the problem started after the phone had been dropped or exposed to water?

From the steps you've tried, it doesn't seem like a software issue. To be 100% sure you could use CFP wipe and use the an autoloader of the latest official OS (10.3.1.2xxx). If the camera still has issues right after the install, it's almost certainly a hardware issue.

In that case, you could try ordering a camera for 8$~ + shipping from the net (etradesupply). If its the camera unit, it's a easy fix. Or else, it's the main board and that's expensive and hard to find outside of the approved retailer.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-15 12:07 AM
    This phone has not been dropped, nor had any water contact and is in a protective case. And to restate, this is only the rear cam. The front cam is just fine. Very odd.

On 3/11 I updated from 10.2.x to 10.3.1.1565. All was very good with the world and the new camera tools.

About the time that BBM was celebrating its birthday, I installed a couple of apps and was informed there was an update. Distracted, I let things update.

On 4/12 I updated with .1779 thinking this might resolve things. After a factory reset, security wipe, I installed. Before restore, I tested rear camera. No dice.

The bar file in 1565 and 1779 is the same (camera-10.310.0.46-nto+armle-v7+signed). So something else is the issue. The apps requesting camera access have been denied or deleted.

Its currently rebooting after I specifically deleted the cam (above mentioned version) and reinstalled from .1565 update folder. **No impact.

As to trying other OS, I've not stepped back to 10.2 but might have to or at least the camera module in an effort to resolve.
    04-13-15 12:35 PM