The phone is not functioning, tried a new battery and nothing. All I get is a quick flash of red LED when unplugged and a solid red LED for 20 sec if plugged in to power. I do not get past that, so just a blank Black screen.
    Can't even plug into computer and try to update

As a side note it had powered down early in the month when battery just below 50%, figured my battery on on its way out. But the replacement (yes a OEM BlackBerry LS1) hasnt help. I also only use the BB cables & plug, trying different ones (bought extra & one from PlayBook).
    10-16-14 11:27 AM
    How long did you leave it plugged in to charge? at least an hour before trying it?
    10-16-14 11:46 AM
    How long did you leave it plugged in to charge? at least an hour before trying it?
    This yes.

If it's not working you just might have a good excuse to buy the passport,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    10-16-14 11:49 AM
    I have a feeling Jay_vw, that you won't find a solution to this. I have not yet. The only difference between yours and mine is I have 2 red flashes after holding power button for 10 secs and then nothing. So it does sound similar. Has anyone ever had success reviving a bricked Z10? I have been trying every suggestion on the internet to try to do so, with no success.
    10-16-14 11:51 AM
    I tried the 'new' battery right away, nothing and now its been plugged in well over an hour. I had thought of swapping to the Passport, but wasn't budgeting for a new phone. If its truly dead, I may just pick another Z10. Seen them new, unlocked for $229 CND
    But would rather get this one back up & running, its only 17months old
    10-16-14 12:12 PM
    Try the following precedures both with and then WITHOUT the battery inside the phone.

Hook up to the computer running BBLink. See if you are offered the opportunity to reload the OS or clean the device. No results, then remove the battery and try again.

If those process does not work, visit our Leak OS Subforum and find an Autoloader file that matches your device model (1, 2, 3 or 4) and try that after hooking up the usb cord. Again with and/or withOUT the battery.

Good luck
    JTon likes this.
    10-16-14 12:37 PM
    Auto loader is best bet for bricked phone!! If that don't work its a hardware problem not a software one and it's a paperweight!!

Blandy, Z10 10.3.0.1418
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    10-16-14 12:42 PM
    My Z10 did this exact same thing last week. Blue screen, power off, rebooted itself 3 times then worked okay for 1 day. Then, blue screen again, powered off, and now did exactly what the OP's did. I tried hooking it up to BB Link with/without the battery, it doesn't recognize it so it's now a paperweight. If I plug it in without the battery, the LED stays on for about 30-40 seconds then stops. If I try holding down the top button to reset, it does nothing but flashes once after 10 seconds. I'm using my wife's Q5 for now (she likes her old Curve for some silly reason), and in January I upgrade to the Passport.
    10-16-14 12:59 PM
    I'd try that but the computer doesn't recognize the phone, as it won't power up at all
    10-16-14 01:04 PM
    It's done. Same thing happened to my sister's Z10. Warranty long gone.

I opened it up to see if I could spot anything and I found what appears to be a corroded/leaked CMOS battery. When I tried to pry it off in hopes of replacing it, the board contacts came off (battery is soldered to them).

Haven't had much time to go back to it to try any other hacks,.. but there doesn't seem to be much anyone can do other than get a replacement.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 01:18 PM
    My Z10 did this exact same thing last week. Blue screen, power off, rebooted itself 3 times then worked okay for 1 day. Then, blue screen again, powered off, and now did exactly what the OP's did. I tried hooking it up to BB Link with/without the battery, it doesn't recognize it so it's now a paperweight. If I plug it in without the battery, the LED stays on for about 30-40 seconds then stops. If I try holding down the top button to reset, it does nothing but flashes once after 10 seconds. I'm using my wife's Q5 for now (she likes her old Curve for some silly reason), and in January I upgrade to the Passport.
    Yeah, I had 3 Z10's die on me the same way over the course of about 18 months.
    10-16-14 01:29 PM
    Forget about using BBLink, use an autoloader for your device instead. This approach has worked for me in the past, and even when BBLINK couldn't detect my device, the autoloader did its job and got me back up and running.

It's probably the best chance you've got.

Z-30 / STA100-5 / 10.3.0.1418 / T-Mobile USA
    10-16-14 02:58 PM
    I will give it another try over the weekend, but how would autoloader be able to sync with the phone when I can even power it up?
    10-17-14 12:54 PM
    There are no guarantees of success, and the phone might be truly bricked or have a hardware issue or some other problem. At the end of the day, it's your phone and your decision what to do. If I were in your shoes, I'd try the autoloader approach because...

The autoloader will all at once wipe the phone, which could get rid of factors that are causing the problem, AND it will load the drivers, radios, files, and operating system software that your phone would need for it to (hopefully) boot up normally. Also, since you know that so many other people on this forum have successfully used the same autoloader you're using (pick a popular, highly regarded autoloader built for your phone model), you know the autoloader has good software in it and that any problems would likely be due to your device's issues.

Good luck, whatever you choose to do!

10-17-14 02:51 PM
    1. Close BlackBerry Link (and BlackBerry Desktop Software) if installed.
    2. Detach all BlackBerry smartphones, including the BlackBerry 10 smartphone that cannot be booted up.
    3. Using Internet Explorer, navigate to BlackBerry 10 Software Updates - New Update Software for BlackBerry Smartphones - US, scroll down the page and click the Check for Updates button.
    4. Connect the BlackBerry 10 smartphone that cannot be booted up.
    5. Hold the power button for 10 seconds until the BlackBerry smartphone turns off, then press the power button again to power it on. A prompt will appear and the BlackBerry smartphone will show in the drop down list shortly after the LED lights up red (USB: UNKNOWN or USB: BlackBerry (PIN) may also be displayed).
    6. Click the OK button within 15 seconds to continue.

Once the above steps are completed successfully a dialog will be displayed stating Checking for BlackBerry Device Software updates. The BlackBerry 10 smartphone will now power itself off after 120 seconds. Shortly after the 120 seconds, the BlackBerry smartphone LED should turn green. Continue to wait after the LED turns green and a prompt will display to install BlackBerry Device Software. Follow the prompts to install the BlackBerry Software and once the installation is complete, the smartphone will boot up and should be fully recovered.
    10-17-14 03:01 PM
    'luckily' you can get a used one on ebay for. 100$ or less....

Posted via CB10
    robirdo likes this.
    10-18-14 08:51 AM
    When this happens in the warranty period, blackberry replace them immediately. This suggests to me a known hardware issue that they are keeping quiet about. Between the two z10s in my house, they have been replaced a total of 5 times with this or similar bricking experiences.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 09:08 AM
    I'm having the exact same problem after updating to 2977. Any ideas would be appreciated
    10-18-14 10:33 AM
    I don't think you need to own something to be proud of it. I had zero influence over Team Canada winning hockey gold at the 2010 and 2014 Olympics (especially 2010 in Vancouver!!!), but dammit was I extremely proud to see the Team Canada logo up in bright lights!

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 10:42 AM
    Did you ever see a blue screen before it died?

Sent from my awesome White Z30!
    10-18-14 05:50 PM
    No such luck with the computer even knowing the phone is plugged in. All I've got is the red LED and no further.
    About a Blue screen, never had that happen just had the phone power off on its own, still atleast with 50% battery life. At those moments, I had to recharge the phone before it would fully power up. Would only go to home screen & power off again shortly afterwards and still showing 50%+ battery life. Once charged up, was fine. That only happened a handful of times, but now its just dead, dead, dead.......
    10-20-14 10:58 AM
    Did you try to use an autoloader? If so, which one?

10-20-14 04:22 PM
    I haven't had a chance to yet, as I don't own a windows PC. I will give it a try within a few days when I see family and will try 10.3.00.1418
    My question is how would the PC be able to even see the phone hooked up, when it can't power up? I've tried my wife's Macbook and it doesn't see the phone at all?
    10-21-14 12:25 PM
    I haven't had a chance to yet, as I don't own a windows PC. I will give it a try within a few days when I see family and will try 10.3.00.1418
    My question is how would the PC be able to even see the phone hooked up, when it can't power up? I've tried my wife's Macbook and it doesn't see the phone at all?
    I don't know mac's but try again with the battery OUT of the phone.
    10-21-14 01:36 PM
    Even with the battery pulled, the phone is not visable by the macbook. I will have access to a windows pc later in the morning. Will try the autolader then, STL100-3 with the OS 10.3.00.1418 Hopefully this works, or I'll be looking for a new phone....
    10-22-14 02:00 AM
32 12