Has this happened to anyone else?

Yesterday my Z10 got really, really hot. I could feel the heat coming off the device when I had the phone in my pants pocket. I literally thought it was going to explode. Luckily it didn't. Also, due to the overheating, the battery drained very quickly it was at roughly 95% when I took it off the charger.

There are a couple of reasons that I think may have caused the overheating.

1) I was texting outside in which it was quite warm (around 12 C or 54 F) before I went into the theater. Although the phone should have cooled down, once I was inside.
    2) I didn't let the battery fully charge before I took it off the charger. I have done this before with out any issues.

What are your thoughts? Any suggestions? Possibly defective phone?
    05-06-13 11:38 AM
    I suppose that it might be possible that the phone was continuously searching for a signal in the Theater? Next time you go to the movies check to see how strong the signal is once you are inside. is this the only time you have come across this problem?
    05-06-13 12:16 PM
    What was running in the background

how was your signal strength in the area

where you eating a cheese burger at the time?

mine get pretty warm if i am constatly sending messages and or it is constantly searching for signal.
    Dzyen likes this.
    05-06-13 12:18 PM
    The only other time the phone can get hot is when I play certain games on the device. I didn't have anything running in the background. I did check out the Blackhawks app once or twice which yes I did accidently kept running but quickly closed it down. There wasn't the greatest signal in the theater but I don't see how that would make the battery get so hot. It was a dance recital where I was at the night before as well, did not have any issues with overheating.

No, was not eating a cheeseburger. Great now I want a cheeseburger.
    05-06-13 12:31 PM
    Every now and again mine gets really hot too even though it's idle, maybe it's my case?

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 12:38 PM
    12 C?
    It's 40 C here and my phone is fine

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 12:39 PM
    This happened to me once. It was really random. At dinner not even using the phone and next thing I know I can feel it in my pocket. I had to turn it off. Very strange

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 01:06 PM
    My Z10 was hot and it's battery drain so fast before upgrade OS. After I upgraded 10.1 My Z10 is cured from fever

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 01:21 PM
    Hmm strange......

it could have just been a hung process While QNX is supposed to kill Malfunctioning process it does not always do the best job at it. I have found after restarting the phone i cools down pretty quick.

hopefully these issues will be resolved in the comming updates.

BTW good luck with that Burger
    05-06-13 01:26 PM
    Every now and again mine gets really hot too even though it's idle, maybe it's my case?

Posted via CB10
    That's like my LE Z10, what case do you have?

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 01:38 PM
    I had this happen to me a few times when it would get so hot that you could smell the plastic heating and I had nothing running at all!! One day it just might blow up this is my second device that gets super hot and Random reboots.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 02:06 PM
    Mine gets ridiculously hot when using the maps apps and/or using the car charger. It's not the battery that's gets hot it's the screen and thus causing my rapid decline in battery
    05-06-13 02:10 PM
    Mine does when I am on Map my India... that app really uses a lot of power...

Were you using a GPS app and then forgot to turn it off before getting into the theater?

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 02:11 PM
    Has this happened to anyone else?

Yesterday my Z10 got really, really hot. I could feel the heat coming off the device when I had the phone in my pants pocket. I literally thought it was going to explode. Luckily it didn't. Also, due to the overheating, the battery drained very quickly it was at roughly 95% when I took it off the charger.

There are a couple of reasons that I think may have caused the overheating.

1) I was texting outside in which it was quite warm (around 12 C or 54 F) before I went into the theater. Although the phone should have cooled down, once I was inside.
    2) I didn't let the battery fully charge before I took it off the charger. I have done this before with out any issues.

What are your thoughts? Any suggestions? Possibly defective phone?

Thats all by design. You see, when you go into a movie theater, you are supposed to turn your phone off! If you dont... you receive a signal from the projector booth that immobilizes your phone and tries to damage it. To avoid this, you should always turn off your phone at the movies.
    05-06-13 02:30 PM
    I find my Z10 gets hot very fast as well, granted I am on it a lot and in the car. Sometime, when I am using Maps i and it gets really hot, I put my A/C on and put my phone right against the vet to get it to cool down.

I also wander if my Otter Box case has contributes to the heat, I am sure it does base on it design.

I am waiting for the official release of 10.1 and hope that will solve the problem.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 02:37 PM
    That's like my LE Z10, what case do you have?

Posted via CB10
    Shock Proof Case, quite bulky but meant to not die in a fall. Very plastic.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 02:38 PM
    Shock Proof Case, quite bulky but meant to not die in a fall. Very plastic.

Posted via CB10
    Hmmm I use a genuine BlackBerry flip shell. My phone doesn't over heat when I don't use a case

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 03:10 PM
    When mine reboots, it is extremely hot at the micro sd card slot.
    05-06-13 03:13 PM
    This only happens randomly when I have a weak signal and if there is any activity on the mobile network while the signal is weak it gets hotter.

Posted via CB10
    yvpan1 likes this.
    05-06-13 03:27 PM
    I use Battery Guru to monitor my battery level as well as temperature. I have it in the Otterbox case.
    05-06-13 03:30 PM
    My Z10 gets super hot too with maps open its bad enough BlackBerry maps sucks it makes my phone into a toaster but it has also got very hot depending on my heavy usage and what apps are open I've come to find out this cool *** app CrackBerry App makes my phone heat up sometimes... but I gotta use it lol

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 03:35 PM
    It happened once to me, battery pulled it and never again. Did you load up any new apps?

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 03:57 PM
    I exchanged mine after it went into nuclear meltdown several times. Reboots aren't nearly as often an more either.
    05-06-13 04:08 PM
    I had it happen this morning in my pocket while on a motorcycle. Pulled over and immediately noticed the signal said sos. Not sure if my local tower was down or what. Put in airplane mode, then back off, but it went right back to sos on att. Gave up, shoved it back in my pocket, then took off again. About 5 minutes later the flames ceased, so I assumed it found an active tower. Pulled over for some gas about 15 minutes later and checked it...completely powered off. Really? I'm sure it is just OS bugs coupled with tower issues.

Z10 via T-Mobile (10.0.10.85)
    05-06-13 04:14 PM
    If you ever want to heat up your phone, try using the application Waze (Social GPS maps and traffic)! Happens every single time for me consistently. Sounds like a common problem with map/gps applications though based on other forum posts.
    05-06-13 04:56 PM
29 12