I was loving my Z10 and saw many people on here complaining of their phones for one reason or another. I thought I was one of the lucky ones until yesterday.

My Z10 will not turn on except for the red light. It remains solid for a few seconds after pushing the power button. Then it goes out and nothing is seen but the black screen. I have lost everything.

What do I do now. I bought the phone from shopblackberry.ca

Please advise.

I bought a Z30 when they first went on sale in November. It was suppose to be a Christmas present. I will now use it as my main phone as I need something reliable so my data is safe. The Z30 forum rarely has people complaining about miss functions of their phones. In this forum the complaints are never ending.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 06:26 AM
    Sorry to hear about your phone. You're not alone though. I've seen a lot of reports of Z10s working great all the way up to the moment that they power off and won't turn back on. It is the Red LED of Death and is pretty concerning.

If I was in your shoes, I would contact who I bought it from and demand a refund or replacement. If they give you a replacement, sell it on eBay and continue using the Z30, which doesn't seem to suffer from sudden BlackBerry death syndrome like the Z10, and to a lesser extent, the Q10 do. Good luck!
    11-19-14 06:39 AM
    Am I at fault for not having a protective case on the Z10? Has anyone's Z10 died inside their cases?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 06:50 AM
    I don't think a case would protect from red light of death. Case saves those who are clumsy and drop their phones! Did you do anything different before the last time the phone was working? Installed a leaked OS? Used a different form of charging? Let the battery drain to 0%? Try and recall if anything unusual was done before it died. Good luck with the seller, maybe they offer a replacement within a year?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 06:54 AM
    Try a new screen? Does your computer recognize it?
    11-19-14 06:55 AM
    It happened to me several times and the carrier could not fit the matter so they gave me new Z10. In 18 months I've used 5 different Z10 devices so I'm not too confident about the actual one to last longer than a couple of months but hey I like this phone.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 06:58 AM
    I don't think a case would protect from red light of death. Case saves those who are clumsy and drop their phones! Did you do anything different before the last time the phone was working? Installed a leaked OS? Used a different form of charging? Let the battery drain to 0%? Try and recall if anything unusual was done before it died. Good luck with the seller, maybe they offer a replacement within a year?

Posted via CB10
    I am usually a heavy daily user but yesterday was a light day. I put it in my back pocket as usual and went to the Shawarma place to eat. As I sat down I always check my phone for messages. I thought it was rebooting again as it did every once in a while after putting it in my pocket. I was shocked that it did not turn on as I just left an appointment 30 minutes earlier. I check my phone often. Nothing indicated to me that I would have a major failure.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 07:02 AM
    Sorry to hear!

Happened to me twice.

First time after over a year using it:
    It did a random reboot after connecting it to my bluetooth car audio system.
    I thought: "Hm, ok.".
    5min. later or so it just turned off itself and wouldn't go on again.

No red light - nothing.
    On my computer - nothing.

After charging it over night it suddenly started again, after 5min. of using:
    Blue screen of death - dead.

I sent it to my retailer and they told me that something wrong on it's mainboard.

Second device:
    They gave me a refurbished one.
    But it wouldn't stop rebooting when I moved it my hand.
    I did some OS reloads - didn't help.
    I sent it back again - battery connection problems on the mainbord.

Now I got my third one since May - until now everything is fine.
    I hope it stays that way.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 07:20 AM
    It happened to me several times and the carrier could not fit the matter so they gave me new Z10. In 18 months I've used 5 different Z10 devices so I'm not too confident about the actual one to last longer than a couple of months but hey I like this phone.

Posted via CB10
    I'd suggest, your case nevertoofar, that if you have repeated, identical failures of several devices there is something amiss at your end. Most important are: battery and charger.
    11-19-14 09:36 AM
    Mine just would not power on few days ago. All you need to do is use Link and reload the OS. Worked like a charm for me.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 09:48 AM
    It sounds like you're still under the manufacturer warranty. Have them replace it and as they suggested already sell it and make the z30 your daily driver. Far more reliable and better than the z10.

Posted via CB10
    anandv76 likes this.
    11-19-14 10:32 AM
    Exactly the same happened to me

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 01:09 PM
    Just reload OS then OK, if still having red led

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 04:32 PM
    I bought a Z30 ... I will now use it as my main phone as I need something reliable so my data is safe.
    If you want to keep your data safe, then you need a well planned and tested backup strategy. No device is 100% reliable, and you still have to protect against drops, loss and theft.

Sorry, had to be said.
    11-19-14 04:43 PM
    That's too young to die. Sorry to hear that.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1154
    11-19-14 04:54 PM
    I was loving my Z10 and saw many people on here complaining of their phones for one reason or another. I thought I was one of the lucky ones until yesterday.

My Z10 will not turn on except for the red light. It remains solid for a few seconds after pushing the power button. Then it goes out and nothing is seen but the black screen. I have lost everything.

What do I do now. I bought the phone from shopblackberry.ca

Please advise.

I bought a Z30 when they first went on sale in November. It was suppose to be a Christmas present. I will now use it as my main phone as I need something reliable so my data is safe. The Z30 forum rarely has people complaining about miss functions of their phones. In this forum the complaints are never ending.

Posted via CB10
    Is it stl100-1?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-19-14 05:53 PM
    Just reload OS then OK, if still having red led

Posted via CB10
    If you are able to reload the OS, then you don't have the red LED of death. With RLD, the phone is hardware bricked and won't be recognized when plugged into a PC, making it impossible to reload the OS.

I think it is caused by something either coming lose, or going bad on the main board and causing a short. Either way, when you have RLD, all the phone will do is glow a red LED and hold down papers.
    11-19-14 07:57 PM
    The OP said he keeps the phone in his back pocket. OP when you sit down do you sit on your phone?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 08:17 PM
    The OP said he keeps the phone in his back pocket. OP when you sit down do you sit on your phone?

Posted via CB10
    Yes.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 09:13 PM
    Yes.
    No protection and you constantly sit on it? Then 8 months of bend testing Z10 without issues is actually a very good result. If you do the same with Z30, it's gonna die much sooner.
    11-19-14 10:18 PM
    No protection and you constantly sit on it? Then 8 months of bend testing Z10 without issues is actually a very good result. If you do the same with Z30, it's gonna die much sooner.
    The Z10 never bent but I hear what you are saying. I may just throw it away. I am very happy with the Z30.

The Z30 is a beautiful machine. A lot more care is going into this product than the Z10. Live and learn.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 10:40 PM
    Z10 is a very sturdy device, but this constant pressure on different sides of the phone may have damaged something inside over time. Z30 is a bigger device and if you carry it the same way in your back pocket, then it will suffer more. I'm not talking about possible visible damages like in iPhone 6, but the tiny movements under pressure. Smartphones are not built to withstand your weight. And also complex hardware devices sometimes die for no apparent reason. Nothing lasts forever.
    11-19-14 11:50 PM
    No luck. Still using mine after almost 2 years without any issue.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 01:11 AM
    I have the idea that the car charger, which is not original, caused serious damages to my Z10. I noticed the charger light was blinking as if it were plugging and unplugging several times, so I decided to disconnect it but it was late. When I got home I plugged my phone with the original charger to the wall and It got 99% (with the welcome screen, blue logo) and then It got stuck in there, nothing else happens. I tried to reload the OS, but mysteriously, Blackberry Link recognizes the device and right way I gets unplugged from Blackberry Link, then it comes a message that reads 'Unknown device' and tells me to use Blackberry Desktop Manager as if it were not a BB10 device, very, very, very sad!
    Now I realize how much I like this phone and this OS, I don't see myself using Android or Apple's iPhone either... I'm able, and surely I will, buy another Z10, because I don't want a bigger device like Z30...
    11-20-14 12:29 PM
    Yes, bad charger cable may have shorting wires and cause damage to the USB port. It's not necessary to buy original BB chargers only. A good charger with about 750mA output and good quality cable and USB connector(s) will work just fine. I use mini Lighter-to-USB chargers with 1A output combined with some good quality BB, HTC, Samsung, etc. charge/data cables I have left from different phones. No issues.
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    11-20-14 03:54 PM
43 12