My wishlist for Z10 OS update
Having played with BB Z10 some more, I feel BB 10 is phenomenal! So, I am nitpicking here but here is my wishlist. Would love to see them in next OS update (30 days?):
Hub - I agree with most constructive criticism noted in CrackBerry's review of Z10. Fixes to HUBs should be highest priority.
Orientation/Rotation lag : sometimes there is an orientation/rotation lag from Landscape to Portrait and vice versa.
BBM Voice (offline mode): ability to appear-offline on BBM VOICE at-will. Currently, have to turn off wifi if I want to be unavailable on VOICE. Only talking about "VOICE" part of BBM here.
Sound and Alerts profile (like in OS 7) including:
- be able to set sound for each account, different volume for different kinds of notifications
- customize bedside mode, customize what to do on returning from bedside mode
Status bar - I want status bar to show # of notifications and kinds of notifications. BB 7 will show you # emails, #text message icon, #whatsapp messages, battery life, signal strength. I want that stuff visible in-app as well.
File management - ability to hide files/folders, password protect them
DLNA - ability to select folders I want to make available for DLNA (or exclude some folders from DLNA). I want to DLNA some music videos, but not videos I record from camera. So, I want to exclude certain folders from DLNA.
Home and Lock screen customization:
- ability to hide apps
- EMAIL icon (swiping gesture to get to Hub is a great shortcut, but there should be an EMAIL icon!)
- customize what's displayed on lock-screen
Calendar Alarms and Multiple Alarms - need to be able to set multiple alarms
Email customizations -
- Different alert for different emails
- Email filtering rules
- Customize font size (not just for header/subject)
- Display first line of email's body as subject, if subject line is empty (like in BB 7)
- ICON for email on home screen
- Ability to store emails for more than 30 days
- Option to delete from device, server, both
- Improved push (gmail emails seem delayed, probably a gmail issue but BB should figure out a workaround to make it instant)
- display an icon or indicator if email has already been REPLIED to!
More VPN protocols and Bluetooth (Audio) Codecs - want APT-X Bluetooth audio codec for high quality audio streaming
Improved word substitution - no way to enter a hard-return in word substitution
Guest profile or Advanced Parental Controls - similar to "BlackBerry Balance" work-profile, I'd like create a Guest Profile that allows me to select a list of apps available for Guest Profile. I don't want children or guest peeking into emails, text messages, fb, twitter etc. Just use it to make phone calls and play games. If they try to open Email - ask for a Parental password or ask to switch to regular profile (password protected)
EDIT: Now that we've a decent quantity of apps on BlackBerry 10, it's all the more important to concentrate on quality of apps as well. Bring top 50 free, top 50 paid apps as native-apps to BlackBerry.
EDIT: iPhone to BB 10 and Android to BB 10 and Windows to BB 10 utility - I want BlackBerry to make available a utility (either as installable application or a cloud/web-app service) that will export all contacts, calendar, locally stored media from iPhone, Android, Windows Phone and then import it to BlackBerry 10.
NOTE: I also want more top-apps but that doesn't qualify as an OS update. So, I am omitting list of apps (well, they are well known already and I hope BB is working on getting more of top 100 apps to BB 10).
NOTE 2: Also want "trackpad" - for better/faster precision and faster copy/paste of text. Trackpad makes text-manipulation/text-editing much faster. Come on, BlackBerry is all about "keep moving". Not having a track pad, slows us down when we want to copy/paste/edit text. But then again, this would not be an OS update but device update.
Last edited by chrysaurora; 02-21-13 at 12:06 PM.
- CrackBerry Genius
02-06-13, 12:16 PM #2
- 1,695 Posts
- Available upon request.
Most things in the list are good...but I don't get people's infatuation with seeing emails, texts, BBM, etc in a status bar above the app.
Why lose screen real estate when you can just Peek. Everything you need to see is there, and then you carry on with whatever you were doing.
Content is king, no need to waste space.
1) for existing BB users and power-users, the z10 device is productive and efficient out of the box (you are not scrambling looking for features you are used to) and
2) so that US media (probably, already pissed off about delayed launch) has much less to criticize in z10. The haters will blow even trivial things out of proportion.
As for notification - yes, content is king. But BB power-users want the ability to see what kind of notification it is. Maybe make that status-bar/notification-bar appear with a swipe gesture and then disappear. Maybe when a new notification appears, display the notification bar for few seconds and then hide it. I don't know exactly how but BlackBerry team can figure out how they want to implement it. I certainly would like to be able to quickly glance # of emails, text, notifications, battery, signal strength without having to swipe to hub.
- CrackBerry Genius
02-06-13, 03:04 PM #4
- 1,695 Posts
- Available upon request.
The Status bar is on the side when you peek! That's the thing. It's just in a different place compared to the normal top.
You don't have to go all the way to Hub, just swipe up, see what came in, and then bring your thumb back down and you're back into the app you were in.
- 02-06-13, 11:55 PM #5BBM Voice (offline mode): ability to appear-offline on BBM VOICE (not text chat) at-will.
Status bar - I want status bar to show # of notifications and kinds of notifications. BB 7 will show you # emails, #text message icon, #whatsapp messages, battery life, signal strength. I want that stuff visible in-app as well.File management - ability to hide files/folders, password protect themDLNA - ability to select folders I want to make available for DLNA (or exclude some folders from DLNA). I want to DLNA some music videos, but not videos I record from camera. So, I want to exclude certain folders from DLNA.Home and Lock screen customization:- EMAIL icon (swiping gesture to get to Hub is a great shortcut, but there should be an EMAIL icon!)Calendar Alarms and Multiple Alarms - need to be able to set multiple alarms- Email filtering rules- Customize font size (not just for header/subject)- Ability to store emails for more than 30 days- Option to delete from device, server, both- Improved push (gmail emails seem delayed, probably a gmail issue but BB should figure out a workaround to make it instant)Guest profile or Advanced Parental Controls - similar to "BlackBerry Balance" work-profile, I'd like create a Guest Profile that allows me to select a list of apps available for Guest Profile. I don't want children or guest peeking into emails, text messages, fb, twitter etc. Just use it to make phone calls and play games. If they try to open Email - ask for a Parental password or ask to switch to regular profile (password protected)NOTE: I also want more top-apps but that doesn't qualify as an OS update. So, I am omitting list of apps (well, they are well known already and I hope BB is working on getting more of top 100 apps to BB 10).NOTE 2: Also want "trackpad" - for better/faster precision and faster copy/paste of text. Trackpad makes text-manipulation/text-editing much faster. Come on, BlackBerry is all about "keep moving". Not having a track pad, slows us down when we want to copy/paste/edit text. But then again, this would not be an OS update but device update.
Doubt you will get this back, look it was the same issue when they moved from the trackwheel to the trackball and then to the trackpad, but we all had to adapt and get used to it
- CrackBerry Abuser
02-24-13, 01:50 AM #9
- 341 Posts
most are already mentioned above, but of those mentioned the most important to me are better bedside mode options (choose what profile is used in bedside mode) and better profile configuration (in/out holster options and vibrate before sound)
what I havent seen mentioned yet:
- pattern unlock as another option to unlock your phone (if there is security issues here since patterns might be simpler than passwords, then maybe have a little more complex take on it)
- ability to specify download location from web browser, or at least have it point to SD card if it is installed (currently all downloads go onto the phones on-device memory downloads directory even with SD card installed)
- ability to specify screenshot save location, or at least for it to go to the SD card if it is installed (currently defaults to pictures folder in the on-device memory)
- bake in the ability to choose LED light colours for certain notifications ie. red for email, green for bbm, purple for missed calls, etc. (no need to install 3rd party apps, if more advanced functionality is needed then these apps can provide that)
- long press on the enter key for the keyboard does a hard return rather than sends the message in sms/bbm
- configure to show blue flashing light when connected to something with bluetooth (os 7 functionality here)
- when doing data intensive things like a bbm voice/video call show not only how many minutes you have been using it but also show the current data used.
- when i want to position the cursor using the magnifying glass in something like the bbm message text box, the keyboard overlaps the magnifying glass and makes me inadvertently tap a key trying to get to it. to avoid this i have to put my thumb higher, but that blocks the screen so i cant see where the cursor is. give the magnifying glass a higher z-index (make it appear above the keyboard) so it can be used the way it is meant to be
- in the contacts application you can link multiple contacts together, ie. gmail/fb/local addressbook so that it is all in one comprehensive place (a great feature). but can be a pain to link them all together. have some sort of auto-merge functionality to determine close matches and make suggestions to link the contacts together.
blackberry voice control added functionality. i have been using blackberry voice control in my car's handsfree which is a really cool option but still needs some work.
- ability to have it read back your incoming sms/bbm/email to you
- when using bb voice control to start a call it hangs up and then you have to tell your cars handsfree to try and connect to the call being made. rather, it should close voice control and then tap into the phone call back into my car. there should be no need for me to manually connect it again
- voice control option to start music player, switch tracks, start playing a particular album/artist etc. so that when i have my bb hooked up to my aux i dont have to keep reaching over and fumbling around.
i think thats enough for now, but BB dont be afraid to contact me, i got plenty more where that came from. Or if you're looking for a UX guy, Im interested!
Last edited by INTz; 02-24-13 at 02:36 AM.
- CrackBerry User
02-27-13, 12:16 AM #10
- 95 Posts
Personally, I would like more features added to the camera (panorama, more editing feature (more then just the face), more sounds to customize different emails, texts etc, a lock type of system that needs me to put in some type of password (swipe gesture password), battery improvements (always nice), Facebook improvements (chat and don't force someone to exit the message icon to see them update), multiple account support for twitter and overall improvements (terrible attempt at twitter), upgrades to BB maps, BB World updates in terms of app update notification and cleaning up the updating process and working with app partners to bring their apps over to native from Android.
- CrackBerry Newbie
02-27-13, 10:45 PM #11
- 5 Posts
Using Z10 as a quick Barcode Scanner
Runs great for quickly scanning barcodes in the NFC app. (say for a stack of harddrives that we are inventoring) However, one thing that would be nice would be to be able to highlight multiple "NFC tags" or barcode scans and quickly share them. Currently in OS10, you must select each tag individually, cut and paste out the contents into an email.. flipping back and forth which definately slows down the process. Although the option to select more than one exists, once more than one is highlighed, the only option given in the left menu is delete. Would be nice if share was still an option.
- CrackBerry Newbie
02-27-13, 10:58 PM #12
- 5 Posts
has anyone found a gesture that gets rid of the keyboard when it's not wanted (on my torch I was able to simply swipe down across the soft keyboard to make it disapeer) or vice versa, where on the playbook you could swipe up from the bottom left corner angle to get the keyboard. A go-away button on the corner of the keyboard would be great.
Also, I would love to see a "Device Lock" icon in the pull down quick-settings area from the top menu that could replace the motion of reaching up to hit the physical button.
- 04-06-13, 04:42 PM #15
The underappreciated WebOS devices (Palm Pre) had the best notification system. Any new emails/texts would appear as a temporary notification line at the bottom of the screen in any app you were currently in, even video. It would show the name of the sender, the title and the first few words of the message, whatever could fit in one line. You could tap on it to read the full message, just let it disappear on its own after a minute or so, or swipe it out of sight if I remember correctly. I wish BB10 would "adopt" this feature. There were plug-ins for BB7 that did some of this, but the notifications didn't disappear on their own and blocked the app functions it overlaid.
Last edited by looksee; 04-06-13 at 04:53 PM.
04-06-13, 05:36 PM #16
- 367 Posts
The status bar visible in app would be so utterly useless. You can just slide your finger slightly for the bottom and see the status bar + all notifications already, why do you need that present 100% of the time? It makes no sense, and it's something I really hated about Android/iOS. WP and BB10 are the only ones that have it right so far, and some of Google's newest apps on Android hide the status bar too, so they might be going in that direction in the future.
04-06-13, 05:38 PM #17
- 367 Posts
- 04-14-13, 04:14 PM #19
Good list chrysaurora! Can't agree more on the notifications/profiles - major step backward in BB10 compared to previous OS's. The other important feature for me would be having the Remember app. store times as well as dates. It's very bad that all reminders for my tasks being synched from Outlook/Exchange now show up at 9am (vs. the actual time the reminder should be set for) since Remember doesn't have time stored, but rather only date.
- By sghere in forum Storm OS DiscussionReplies: 1Last Post: 03-09-09, 04:23 PM
- By Malbo in forum Storm OS DiscussionReplies: 9Last Post: 02-26-09, 01:04 AM
- By jsurretsky in forum General BlackBerry DiscussionReplies: 2Last Post: 12-18-08, 10:16 PM
- By jsurretsky in forum News & RumorsReplies: 1Last Post: 12-18-08, 11:49 AM
- By rightcoastsurf in forum BlackBerry StormReplies: 7Last Post: 11-27-08, 08:21 AM