When it comes to the largest group of users that they will depend on to stay in business, the USA IS THE "center of universe"!
    02-28-13 02:39 PM
    I think it is carrier testing, and making the rest of the world a 'soft' launch test bed. Answer seems to be both. Plus it allows for the messaging and the information for IT departments to get a hold of what is going on with the devices, reviews, BES 10 and upgrade paths for older BlackBerry's. As we sell and educate companies worldwide on the EMM solution that is BES, we have allot of questions being asked. It give US IT departments time to read up on the BB 10 and it's accompanying server.

Just my opinion, but I'm talking to these folks daily.
    02-28-13 02:41 PM
    Your speculation is reasonable. Except that you forgot the fact that the U.S is not center of the Universe (*I thought so until it was said by someone*). And if this is true then there's no reason for BlackBerry to be worried about the U.S market; and if BlackBerry is not so worried about the U.S market then your speculation is not entirely reasonable. Having said I think we both agree that any bug fixes are extremely welcomed. The more the merrier.
    Can't tell if you're being smug, condescending or obnoxious. The US is their biggest market. 22% of their 79 million customers last I heard. You might look down on the US customer base, but you are crazy if you think they can survive without it.
    02-28-13 02:43 PM
    The OP's theory is the "Guinea Pig" theory. I.e., the rest of the markets are serving as lab rats to root out all the bugs so the devices can be polished up for the US launch. I don't subscribe to this theory, though I do believe the lag was identified as an opportunity to sand off some rough edges before going into the US market.

What I DO think has happened is that given how sharply consumer interest has dropped off for BlackBerry in the past couple of years in the US, that the carriers wanted to see how well-received BB10 would be in other markets. This gives them enough time to estimate BB10's market potential and decide how many resources (and how much money) to spend on training, marketing, orders, etc. To actually come out and say this would be something of a slight to BB as a company, so to keep them from losing face they used the conveniently opaque excuse of "carrier testing".

Another favorite theory has been that the US carriers refused to launch until certain high-profile apps were available. Were that the case, I'd think Windows Phone would still be in "carrier testing" too, since its own pantry is not exactly stuffed. Again, I think at least SOME of the higher profile apps are either US-exclusive (like Pandora) or have limited audiences outside the US (like Netflix), and are being held back to add energy to the US launch.
    jdhooghe and sleepngbear like this.
    02-28-13 02:46 PM
    When it comes to the largest group of users that they will depend on to stay in business, the USA IS THE "center of universe"!
    You either underestimate, or don't know the foreign markets. UK being first wasn't the result of throwing darts at a map.
    02-28-13 03:18 PM
    You either underestimate, or don't know the foreign markets. UK being first wasn't the result of throwing darts at a map.
    Why do you think they chose the UK first?
    02-28-13 03:21 PM
    And where do you live? I can't find much in the USA to buy that is made in the USA. I probably buy things daily that weren't invented in the USA.
    Americans have this misconception that if any technology that in not invented in the USA not necessarily built there is inferior and as is the case any technology they do adopt from foreign countries they do so at a much slower pace than other countries. BlackBerry released the Z10 in Canada and the UK to use as a test bed to work out any bugs that may crop up because if they didn't do this the American biased media and Blogger sites would completely and mercilessly attack every minor flaw and or bug that's a fact. Now they have a chance to release OS updates as is happening right now with Rogers to smooth out the OS as best as they can before the US release.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-13 03:27 PM
    I think US delay was due to inventory constraints, carrier testing. And I think the delay (in US launch) is probably being used as an opportunity to further polish the device, fix some bugs found by early-adopters.

I don't think they'd be able to fix all bugs or feature-requests received so far. If they have a software development cycle of 5 weeks (say, 3 weeks development, 2 weeks testing), they'd needed to freeze all requirements for software-update by Feb 7 to be able to release an update by mid-March. A lot of feature-requests and bugs were probably reported way after Feb 7. So, I guess, those will get addressed in another update 10.2?

So, yeah, US will get a device which would be slightly more polished and have slightly fewer bugs than the ones that we got in Canada. But it is unlikely to be hugely different. That said, the device we got in Canada is already pretty damn good to begin with. There is not much they need to do to make it absolutely phenomenal. So, probably by 10.2 OS update, this would become the greatest, awesome-st smartphone on planet earth! If we get 10.1 in Mid March, we can expect to get another OS update in couple of months from that time. So, probably by Mid May..
    skibnik likes this.
    02-28-13 03:32 PM
    Americans have this misconception that if any technology that in not invented in the USA not necessarily built there is inferior and as is the case any technology they do adopt from foreign countries they do so at a much slower pace than other countries. BlackBerry released the Z10 in Canada and the UK to use as a test bed to work out any bugs that may crop up because if they didn't do this the American biased media and Blogger sites would completely and mercilessly attack every minor flaw and or bug that's a fact. Now they have a chance to release OS updates as is happening right now with Rogers to smooth out the OS as best as they can before the US release.

Posted via CB10
    Some Canadians have the misconception that they have any clue what Americans think and buy.
    Again with the media conspiracy. Always back to the same thing.
    jdhooghe likes this.
    02-28-13 04:31 PM
    In another thread it was said that BB refuses to give end user support and directs you to your carrier instead. Given that, and the fact that the current version of BB10 still does have serous issues, I'm not surprised carriers are not eager to push them out...

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2
    02-28-13 04:37 PM
    I think that BlackBerry was very smart is delaying the release of BB10 in the United States (pure speculation that it was manipulated and not due to some other constraining factor).

BlackBerry realizes the imprtance of the US market, and they have to get it right. So, they rolled it out in other countries first, which became the world largest test bed ever.

I'm predicting the first upgrade to BB10 will be on the phones sold in the United States.

Let the rest of the world kick the tires, so to speak... find the bugs... and BBRY will fix them BEFORE selling the phones in the United States.

If the US was rolled out at the same time as anyone else, ANY issues, or presumed issues, would be magnified and would stymie the adoption (upgrades and conversions) to the point where it would be deemed a "failure".

I, for one, can't wait to get my hands on a Z10 (prior to this I was strictly a QWERTY kind of guy --- though I LOVE the Torch! -- the best of both worlds -- but, the Z10 just looks far too good to not want.

What do you think?
    I'm inclined to partly believe this little conspiracy theory. If BBRY wants maximum impact in the US, it needs not only an update or two to kill the bugs, but also Skype and WhatsApp at or near launch.
    lcgoldman likes this.
    02-28-13 05:01 PM
    In another thread it was said that BB refuses to give end user support and directs you to your carrier instead. Given that, and the fact that the current version of BB10 still does have serous issues, I'm not surprised carriers are not eager to push them out...

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2
    1 what are the "Serous Issues" I only heard of the odd bug, although in 3 weeks I have only experienced one
    2 there was an OS update this afternoon that has fixes for those few bugs.

Posted from my Z10.
    02-28-13 05:07 PM
    1 what are the "Serous Issues" I only heard of the odd bug, although in 3 weeks I have only experienced one
    2 there was an OS update this afternoon that has fixes for those few bugs.

Posted from my Z10.
    There you have it! What you called an odd bug would have been jumped upon by US Blogger sites and media outlets as huge deficiencies in new BB10 OS and would label new phone a failure that's why the delayed roll out, we are the test bed. Don't forget BlackBerry has a target on their back everyone is waiting for them to fail so they have a higher standard to live up to to be considered a success.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-13 06:42 PM
    Some Canadians have the misconception that they have any clue what Americans think and buy.
    Again with the media conspiracy. Always back to the same thing.
    We are US's largest trading partner of course we don't have a clue what you guys like to purchase! As for what you guys think we receive Fox News here as well!

Posted via CB10
    02-28-13 06:46 PM
    No, but it is the biggest market (I think).
    You could be right about that. I now the US market is big but I don't know if it still the biggest market. It'd be nice if someone could provide us some numbers of BlackBerry users in different markets. Indonesia, Philippines, the UK, and India are some of BlackBerry big markets too.
    02-28-13 06:47 PM
    [QUOTE=Thunderbuck;8049130]The OP's theory is the "Guinea Pig" theory.

Well, I couldn't of said it better myself. Ever think of running for mayor in Whitehorse?

A city that I've wanted to visit my whole life by the way.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-13 08:04 PM
    My point is if a product is not invented in the USA Americans have this belief that it's inferior.

Posted via CB10
    Hmmmm.... Not sure I agree with this..
    02-28-13 08:22 PM
    I think that BlackBerry was very smart is delaying the release of BB10 in the United States (pure speculation that it was manipulated and not due to some other constraining factor).

BlackBerry realizes the imprtance of the US market, and they have to get it right. So, they rolled it out in other countries first, which became the world largest test bed ever.

I'm predicting the first upgrade to BB10 will be on the phones sold in the United States.

Let the rest of the world kick the tires, so to speak... find the bugs... and BBRY will fix them BEFORE selling the phones in the United States.

If the US was rolled out at the same time as anyone else, ANY issues, or presumed issues, would be magnified and would stymie the adoption (upgrades and conversions) to the point where it would be deemed a "failure".

I, for one, can't wait to get my hands on a Z10 (prior to this I was strictly a QWERTY kind of guy --- though I LOVE the Torch! -- the best of both worlds -- but, the Z10 just looks far too good to not want.

What do you think?
    Regardless the reasons for the delay, the end result is very good for Blackberry.
    Let me put in other way that if Z10 were launched in USA first, then the US media and bloggers paid by the big BBRY shorts would talk it down one way or another, i.e.,
    If the phone was best in the market, they would say it was average phone but lack of apps would not make the phone sell;
    If the phone was very good, they would say it was a poor phone which no one likes;
    If the phone was just good, then would say it was so terrible that no one even wants to give a look and it was DOA.
    They could say and fabricate that because they were the first one having the phone and no reference available out there to counter-argue with them.
    By delaying the phone launch in US market in March, all the positive things have been out from the people in the countries where Z10 launched and majority said that Z10 is the best Smartphone in the market. In this case, it almost become an imposable job for the paid bashers to talk down this phone.
    As a Blackberry stockholder I am so glad that the launch of Z10 in USA is "delayed."
    02-28-13 08:24 PM
    We are US's largest trading partner of course we don't have a clue what you guys like to purchase! As for what you guys think we receive Fox News here as well!

Posted via CB10
    Good think that all Canadians are not as bitter as you are.
    02-28-13 08:27 PM
    Regardless the reasons for the delay, the end result is very good for Blackberry.
    Let me put in other way that if Z10 were launched in USA first, then the US media and bloggers paid by the big BBRY shorts would talk it down one way or another, i.e.,
    If the phone was best in the market, they would say it was average phone but lack of apps would not make the phone sell;
    If the phone was very good, they would say it was a poor phone which no one likes;
    If the phone was just good, then would say it was so terrible that no one even wants to give a look and it was DOA.
    They could say and fabricate that because they were the first one having the phone and no reference available out there to counter-argue with them.
    By delaying the phone launch in US market in March, all the positive things have been out from the people in the countries where Z10 launched and majority said that Z10 is the best Smartphone in the market. In this case, it almost become an imposable job for the paid bashers to talk down this phone.
    As a Blackberry stockholder I am so glad that the launch of Z10 in USA is "delayed."
    I agree with you fully. But regardless of what great reviews are out there about the Z10 from countries that have had the early release you and I know BlackBerry will have the odds stacked against them. It has always had to live up to a higher standard than other phone makers partially because BlackBerry invented the smartphone and more likely the short sellers out there want to profit from its failure.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-13 09:11 PM
    I think we'll really know when the release is imminent when more advertisements start appearing in the United States again.... I'd venture to guesstimate a week to 10 (how poetic would that be?) days before the date they actually become available. Then the excitement will be palpable and anticipation percolating in the hearts, minds, and wallets of all Americans.
    02-28-13 10:12 PM
    Armchair CEO's? +1 lol

Posted via CB10
    aw haw haw...lmao
    02-28-13 11:33 PM

Posted via CB10
    Lumber, gas, oil, and minerals. Yep. We like to purchase those *rolls eyes*

...I do not watch that ****. Not everyone in the country does. Please don't paint Americans with such a broad brush.

People depress me.
    02-28-13 11:47 PM
    A simple conspiracy theory:

1. BBRY has a deal with Verizon not to let other carriers launch before they do (the conspiracy part)
    2. There is some issue with the CDMA model that is still being sorted out

I don't really believe this, but I think it's a possibility.
    02-28-13 11:58 PM
    Does anyone know if the Z10 will be preloaded with the update when it hits the U.S.? It would be nice if they didn't have to do an update just after unboxing it. I highly doubt they had time to do this though?

Posted via CB10
    03-01-13 12:10 AM
86 1234