I have had my Z10 for 2 months, I completely love it but have had a few niggling problems.

- My imap emails were coming through slow (nothing major, max 20 minute wait, on a 15 minute sync, but I could tell something wasn't quite right, when manually refreshing my email wouldn't make them come through instantly)
    - Sometimes my email account would say 'not connected' in account settings, but before I could even open it, it would disappear and emails would come through.
    - Battery usage was average, I was going through about 8-14% an hour, it was fine and I could live with it but I felt something was draining it more than usual.

My other problems had all been rectified: Having multiple calendar entries for FB birthday (this was fixed in 10.1 with the clear calendar option), random reboots (seems to magically have fixed itself, touch wood), BB link crashing my computer (still an issue, not a z10 issue, some windows 8 issue), BB link not connecting via usb and therefore I couldn't backup (fixed itself when i worked out that it was the usb port causing the issue, the lightning charge usb port) and BB Link not loading my music library (which just magically fixed itself a couple hours ago) had all been rectified, still I had the email and battery issues previously mentioned.

I had tried reconfiguring my IMAP email address (it's a ISP email address, not hotmail or gmail etc) every way possible, SSL on, SSL off etc etc and still the same issue. It didn't bother me that much as everything worked properly, just not as quick as it should and the fact it would randomly not connect to my email was a worry.

After the 10.1 update and changing it to 5 minute sync, nothing had fixed itself, I then had an idea.

I kept my email account on 5 minute sync but turned off 'use push when available'

MY PROBLEMS WERE FIXED!

All of a sudden:
    - My emails come through almost instantly, they often come through to my Z10 before my laptop (which checks for new emails every 1 minute)
    - The account no longer has connectivity issue and if I refresh my email account, it syncs immediately! If I send an email off my laptop, I can refresh in the hub and the sent email shows 5 seconds later, previously this sometimes took 15 or 20 minutes to happen.
    - My BATTERY LIFE IS AMAZING!! I have gone from using 8-14% battery per hour (depending if I'm on wifi or out and about thrashing foursquare) to 4-6% battery use per hour!! In the past 5 hours I have used just 24% battery, with fairly heavy usage (still on wifi), that's below 5% per hour!

I am stocked!!

It never occured to me that turning 'use push when available' off would make my email account quicker You would think it would do the opposite if anything.

Maybe this might help others who are having email issues or battery issues, turning 'use push when available' solved everything!

I dare say this wasn't a problem with my Z10 and a problem with my ISPs email servers, but thinking it might help others and worth a try to see if it makes any difference to email speeds or battery use, to those not use outlook, gmail etc.

It was such a strange coincidence that my music library loaded in BB Link shortly after, for the first time ever since I got my Z10 when it was released here (not sure if it was the Quicktime update today that caused it, or whether that was another coincidence)

Last edited by hamzasalam; 05-25-13 at 10:03 AM.
    koncoberry, yvpan1, drum and 2 others like this.
    05-25-13 09:46 AM
    Wow! This is a great tip! Thanks for sharing, and I'm sure it will help many.
    hamzasalam likes this.
    05-25-13 09:53 AM
    Thanks so much! I've been searching for something like this for the last couple of weeks as recently i feel that the battery drain rate of my z10 is a bit higher. Emails are important for me and getting emails quickly is my 1st priority.

I used to get that email connection problem too with my yahoo biz mail (i got 3 of them running in my z10) which is very2 frustrating. I have 2 outlook.com emails and an EAS OWA email and they are always online (push are ON). I'll try your suggestion to switch the push to OFF for my 3 yahoo biz mail and set my sync timeframe at 15 mins. See how that goes, hopefully my battery life will improve as well *fingers crossed* and emails will come through quicker too!

Sent from my Z10 posted using the CB10.
    hamzasalam likes this.
    05-25-13 10:25 AM
    Thanks so much! I've been searching for something like this for the last couple of weeks as recently i feel that the battery drain rate of my z10 is a bit higher. Emails are important for me and getting emails quickly is my 1st priority.

I used to get that email connection problem too with my yahoo biz mail (i got 3 of them running in my z10) which is very2 frustrating. I have 2 outlook.com emails and an EAS OWA email and they are always online (push are ON). I'll try your suggestion to switch the push to OFF for my 3 yahoo biz mail and set my sync timeframe at 15 mins. See how that goes, hopefully my battery life will improve as well *fingers crossed* and emails will come through quicker too!

Sent from my Z10 posted using the CB10.
    Good luck I set my sync time to 5 minutes though, since the 10.1 update included it.

Posted via CB10
    yvpan1 likes this.
    05-25-13 10:55 AM
    Thanks for the input. Would love for hear others' experience with this sync method. Personally I use Runbox and push comes about a minute or two after its sent to me with no noticeable battery bleed. May try this and see if I can squeeze even more.

Posted via messenger pigeon
    hamzasalam likes this.
    05-25-13 11:06 AM
    Thanks for the input. Would love for hear others' experience with this sync method. Personally I use Runbox and push comes about a minute or two after its sent to me with no noticeable battery bleed. May try this and see if I can squeeze even more.

Posted via messenger pigeon
    I'm thinking the issue for me, is that by activating push on an email account that didn't (I assume), it was causing connectivity issues and email sync and speed issues. Although it says 'use push when available' and you would think it wouldn't cause an issue if it wasn't available but it clearly was. I imagine by my email account in effect going on and offline it was draining battery.

If emails are working fine it probably won't make any difference but worth a try I guess

It's funny that by turning push off my emails are now coming through and syncing 10 times faster

Posted via CB10
    yvpan1 likes this.
    05-25-13 11:43 AM
    Interesting experience.

You're right that turning that feature off should not have the effect of making it pick up messages faster. It could be a 10.1 idiosyncracy or bug. (I don't have 10.1 here yet)

In order for IMAP to "push" new message notifications in a timely manner, it needs to maintain a "persistent TCP socket" and there are cases where that won't work due to network configuration. (It's rare for a carrier's network to block this, but it's common on a home network due to limitations in the hardware typically used in home networks)

Are you typically using WiFi for internet or your carrier's network?
    05-26-13 08:52 AM
    I have noticed on official 10.1 that my Gmail IMAP push takes a minute or two when it used to be near instantaneous.

What gives?

~STV
    05-26-13 08:57 AM
    Hmm...interesting

I use 5emails:
    3gmail
    1yahoo
    1 office email
    All set 'push if available' and 1hr interval

Will try to set 5min interval, unchecking push

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 09:04 AM
    I have noticed on official 10.1 that my Gmail IMAP push takes a minute or two when it used to be near instantaneous.

What gives

One thing I just read yesterday which I thought was interesting is that apparently on Windows Phone 8, as one of its battery life optimizations, whenever the screen goes off, it turns off WiFi.

I can imagine all sorts of unexpected results from that sort of "optimization", but smartphone vendors are always searching for more ways to improve battery life.

We have never seen any documentation from Blackberry whenever they claim to have added "30 new battery optimizations" etc, but if one of them is anything like that, it could certainly result in some strange things, ie email delays if you are not actively using the device with the screen on.
    05-26-13 09:12 AM
    Thanks for the tip!

My battery is already good, but let me check if it's better now.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 09:21 AM
    Interesting experience.

You're right that turning that feature off should not have the effect of making it pick up messages faster. It could be a 10.1 idiosyncracy or bug. (I don't have 10.1 here yet)

In order for IMAP to "push" new message notifications in a timely manner, it needs to maintain a "persistent TCP socket" and there are cases where that won't work due to network configuration. (It's rare for a carrier's network to block this, but it's common on a home network due to limitations in the hardware typically used in home networks)

Are you typically using WiFi for internet or your carrier's network?
    It happened on 10.0 as well for me, it also happened on both wifi and mobile network. It's been like this from the day I setup the imap address , so wasn't just a 10.1 or network thing.

It was clear that no matter where I was, on wifi or mobile network, that the email connection was dropping in and out.

For example if I received a file in email and went to download it, it wouldn't start straight away, sometimes taking 5 or 10 minutes just to start, ie it wasn't connecting properly, then it would all of a sudden connect and download in a flash.

Emails always sent immediately but the retrieval of email was slow and troublesome, but not to the point where I wouldn't receive emails, just delayed.

Turning use push off fixed all of this and meanwhile cut my battery usage by half as it seems these connection issues were draining battery.

My imap email works fine on laptop, bold 9900 etc, and I the same email with pop settings was fine .

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 09:47 AM
    Hmm...interesting

I use 5emails:
    3gmail
    1yahoo
    1 office email
    All set 'push if available' and 1hr interval

Will try to set 5min interval, unchecking push

Posted via CB10
    All emails set to no push n 5min sync
    Try sending email to all emails
    Boom! Less than 1minutes, email appears in all inboxes

Your trick might work, kind sir..

Will try to see how much of this effects the battery

Posted via CB10
    hamzasalam likes this.
    05-26-13 09:48 AM
    It happened on 10.0 as well for me, it also happened on both wifi and mobile network. It's been like this from the day I setup the imap address , so wasn't just a 10.1 or network thing.

It was clear that no matter where I was, on wifi or mobile network, that the email connection was dropping in and out.

For example if I received a file in email and went to download it, it wouldn't start straight away, sometimes taking 5 or 10 minutes just to start, ie it wasn't connecting properly, then it would all of a sudden connect and download in a flash.

Emails always sent immediately but the retrieval of email was slow and troublesome, but not to the point where I wouldn't receive emails, just delayed.

Turning use push off fixed all of this and meanwhile cut my battery usage by half as it seems these connection issues were draining battery.

My imap email works fine on laptop, bold 9900 etc, and I the same email with pop settings was fine

Can I ask who your email provider is? I'm guessing there is some sort of idiosyncracy w/ either their IMAP server or something to do with their network. I have never witnessed any of the things you mention with any of my IMAP accounts with push enabled.
    05-26-13 10:01 AM
    Can I ask who your email provider is? I'm guessing there is some sort of idiosyncracy w/ either their IMAP server or something to do with their network. I have never witnessed any of the things you mention with any of my IMAP accounts with push enabled.
    Adam Internet, you won't know them, they are a local company here in Australia. www.adam.com.au

I don't have any trouble with my same imap email address on the laptop though, nor did I with my 9900, only on the Z10.

I know the laptop doesn't use push like the Z10 does but there were no connectivity issues there at all, had no issues on my 9900 but maybe that was different because of BIS?

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 10:32 AM
    If I delete an email from my inbox on my Z10, it will be deleted on my Thunderbird on my laptop immediately when I refresh on my Z10, but before it could take 10 or 20 minutes. Same with receiving emails, downloading files in my emails etc, now it's all instant. Everything works smooth now just because of the push being turned off, bizarre.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 10:36 AM
    I keep sync time set to one hour all the time on my work account, but I turn push on and off according to what the situation is. I'm on vacation now, and I neither need nor want instant work email, so it's off.

Android has a nice feature where you can define "peak hours" for push, and fetch the rest of the time. A good one to "borrow".

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 10:42 AM
    Adam Internet, you won't know them, they are a local company here in Australia. www.adam.com.au

I don't have any trouble with my same imap email address on the laptop though, nor did I with my 9900, only on the Z10.

I know the laptop doesn't use push like the Z10 does but there were no connectivity issues there at all, had no issues on my 9900 but maybe that was different because of BIS

I know you mentioned that it was working OK on the other devices. I was thinking that there might be some sort of idiosyncracy that is only encountered by the Z10 due to specific aspects of the IMAP implementation on each side, or perhaps other reasons ie the "battery saving measures" that some platforms employ, as mentioned earlier, are an example of another possibility.

And if the ISP in question were a widely known/used one, my guess is that these issues may have been encountered by Blackberry and addressed, whereas with a local/regional provider, the chances of that are much less.

You are right that the 9900 is a different kettle of fish because it is not contacting the server directly, it is being "fed" by BIS, the actual server connection happens from the BIS back-end servers to your ISP's servers.
    05-26-13 11:41 AM
    I know you mentioned that it was working OK on the other devices. I was thinking that there might be some sort of idiosyncracy that is only encountered by the Z10 due to specific aspects of the IMAP implementation on each side, or perhaps other reasons ie the "battery saving measures" that some platforms employ, as mentioned earlier, are an example of another possibility.

And if the ISP in question were a widely known/used one, my guess is that these issues may have been encountered by Blackberry and addressed, whereas with a local/regional provider, the chances of that are much less.

You are right that the 9900 is a different kettle of fish because it is not contacting the server directly, it is being "fed" by BIS, the actual server connection happens from the BIS back-end servers to your ISP's servers.
    Thanks for your replies and yeah being a local provider who probably won't even know what a Z10 is, little chance of me getting anything from them or finding another Z10 owner on the same Isp and using their email service and not hotmail Gmail etc

Posted via CB10
    tuxedo323 likes this.
    05-26-13 11:54 AM
    Trying it too

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 12:00 PM