I am an old Blackberry user from years ago that left because I felt RIM was loosing touch with what folks wanted in they're smart phones and I decided to come back based on the introduction the the new BB Z10. I sold my beloved iPhone 5 and I bought a 100-3 model from Canada and unlocked it and have been running on the T-Mobile 4G network here in the Detroit metro area.

The first update I received when I inserted my TM sim card was the 10.0.0.85 which had the T-Mobile My Account app included and the T-Mobile logos now show up when I start up and shut down the device. I am an avid GMail user and here is my impressions of the BB10 after using it as my daly driver for the past 12 days:

BB Hub: I find this feature one of the most useful tools I have ever had. All your messages, calls and emails show up in one area and are easily managed by swiping them and using the menu functions. Even my GMail I can manage from the Hub, I can move emails to labels and found this saves me allot time compared to bouncing between icons like my previous devices i.e. iPhone and Android.

BB Flow: Nice feature that has grown on me, at first it didn't make much sense, but after using it for a week, I find it useful for apps and task I use all the time.

Gesture Concept: This has really grown on me and I do not miss the stupid home button from my iPhone 5 or Galaxy S3 at all. I simply swipe to get to where I need to go or close out an application and it's very fast and the screen response is perfect for me.

Screen: The screen is fantastic and is up there with any of the competitors. The text is sharp, the pinch zoom function is smooth and even in the sunlight I can see it better then my Galaxy S3.

Feel and Build Quality: The phone feels solid in my hand and I have always been a value added person when it comes to buying anything electronic and this device has value written all over it. Great build quality.

App Availability: Sorry but this is where blackberry z10 needs some work, here is the USA, all smart devices are driven by the availability of apps in the market. I know this is a new OS, but the ground work has already been established here by the big two i.e. Apple and Google. I am patient about new apps coming to the OS10 BB World, I just hope some of the popular ones are there when it launches here later this month.

Overall I am very happy with the purchase of my new z10 and I am back in the Blackberry world and here to stay, I hope the company fixes some of the small quirks with the new OS in future updates which I am certain they will, but so far the phone has been in my hand every day and it's not leaving any time soon.
    Last edited by Ronald Bak; 03-14-13 at 01:29 PM.
    03-14-13 01:07 PM
    Thanks for talking the time to give us your opinion... think BB does have a winner.... As BB is my primary devices, though I do own an IPad and Samsung tab.... just collect dust now... I do not find the app thing an issue for me... Have all I need to be happy and enough coming down the road to keep me happy...I think it is a case of not being able to get what you are use to having...As the OP points out... this is a new first gen device so the next six months should tell the tail.....
    03-14-13 01:17 PM
    Thanks for the review!
    03-14-13 01:26 PM
    Im an AT&T subscriber, im planning to switch to Tmobile. There's a thread here that says Tmobile requires BIS? Is that true? My first plan was to get one from Bestbuy, plan's changed, Im getting mine from Solavei. When you popped in the Tmobile sim, was it that simple, I mean no more setting up of the APN and MMS? Is the APN greyed out?
    03-14-13 01:29 PM
    Chicken vs Egg. I know apps help drive smart phone sales, but hopefully the more people buy BB 10 devices the faster more apps will come.
    03-14-13 01:33 PM
    Im an AT&T subscriber, im planning to switch to Tmobile. There's a thread here that says Tmobile requires BIS? Is that true? My first plan was to get one from Bestbuy, plan's changed, Im getting mine from Solavei. When you popped in the Tmobile sim, was it that simple, I mean no more setting up of the APN and MMS? Is the APN greyed out?
    I am currently using the value unlimited shared plan at 79.00 a month for each line and I have 2 lines, I haven't had any issues surfing the web or with my data connection. I think the issue is the only folks who can get the phone or support for the phone is the T-Mobile business customers who they released it to on the 11th. I bought mine in Canada (100-3 RFF91LW Model) that was locked to Rogers, I unlocked it and it's working perfectly. I get a solid 4G signal everywhere I go. Hope it helps you in your decision.
    MoolahMitch and pels_17 like this.
    03-14-13 01:53 PM
    When you popped in the Tmobile sim, was it that simple, I mean no more setting up of the APN and MMS? Is the APN greyed out?
    I have never touched any of the APN or MWS settings and everything is working fine. My network sync's with all my GMail and I have set-up bookmarks in my web browser for the common websites I use.
    pels_17 likes this.
    03-14-13 02:00 PM
    Chicken vs Egg. I know apps help drive smart phone sales, but hopefully the more people buy BB 10 devices the faster more apps will come.
    I shown my z10 to folks everywhere I go and they are surprised and asked me "that's a blackberry", I then proceed to show them what the device can do and it's been very positive so far. I feel like a sales rep for Blackberry, lol, but I love it.
    03-14-13 02:03 PM
    Indeed.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 02:06 PM
    Is this a BlackBerry thing where you now have the T-Mobile start-up jingle on your phone? I have used many non-carrier branded devices and devices that were carrier-unlocked in the past and have never had carrier apps or start-up/shut-down jingles "appear" on my phones. I had a Wind BlackBerry on T-Mobile, but it never got updated so I don't know what would have happened there.

This concerns me because I went ahead and decided to spend the extra money on an unlocked Z10 versus a carrier Z10. One factor in that decision was the fact that I wouldn't have carrier bloatware.
    03-14-13 02:11 PM
    I just checked my APN Settings and the software update that I received 10.0.0.85 already set the proper APN for the T-Mobile 4G network here in the US. I am guessing the model I bought 100-3 RFF91LW is the same one that T-Mobile is going to use for the US market. I did read something a while back about this that there was a common model being used for the North American market i.e. Canada and the USA, only basing it off what I have seen so far.
    pels_17 likes this.
    03-14-13 02:15 PM
    I have a blackberry with Tmobile and I have all unlimited and no BIS so I don't think it is required. I am going to contact them as soon as they officially get the Z10.
    pels_17 likes this.
    03-14-13 02:21 PM
    Is this a BlackBerry thing where you now have the T-Mobile start-up jingle on your phone? I have used many non-carrier branded devices and devices that were carrier-unlocked in the past and have never had carrier apps or start-up/shut-down jingles "appear" on my phones. I had a Wind BlackBerry on T-Mobile, but it never got updated so I don't know what would have happened there.

This concerns me because I went ahead and decided to spend the extra money on an unlocked Z10 versus a carrier Z10. One factor in that decision was the fact that I wouldn't have carrier bloatware.
    I am only basing it off what my experience has been, I was also surprised when after the software update, the phone now had the T-Mobile apps and logos. The phone is still carrier and network unlocked, but the APN settings are grayed out. Maybe they are doing something different with the new BB OS10 and the software updates are based on the carrier/sim card detected in the phone?

My friend bought the same model as me and is using it on AT&T here is the US and the software update also set-up his phone with the proper network settings for AT&T USA and his phone is carrier and network unlocked like mine. Does not bother me one way or another, less work I have to do to make sure my network settings are correct.
    03-14-13 02:26 PM
    I don't know for sure if BIS is even needed/used for the Z10. I have had BES data (with BIS included, I guess) for $5 per month for a long time. With my month old Z10 I have used our office's ActiveSync in lieu of BES 10, as we haven't done the BES 10 conversion. Have not tried to cancel BES as the grandfathered, unlimited Even More + family plan is very good ($160 before taxes for 5 phones) and I don't want to change plans if this would trigger a change. May ask in the future if I can drop the BIS, or maybe my firm will upgrade its server.

The APN is "grayed out" and has been since I popped the TMO sim in it. Says "fast.t-mobile.com". All data, text, voice, etc has been great - no issues except a network blip a week in. Have not tried to tether or use hotspot. Nor have I updated a small 4MB update to my current 10.0.10.85 software release. Model RFF91LW and "4G" most everywhere I have been. No sign of LTE yet...
    pels_17 likes this.
    03-14-13 02:26 PM
    I love these stories from users of other devices -- especially those who previously lost faith in BB and came back into the fold. Thanks for your perspective.
    maddie1128 likes this.
    03-14-13 02:28 PM
    I have a blackberry with Tmobile and I have all unlimited and no BIS so I don't think it is required. I am going to contact them as soon as they officially get the Z10.
    Did the software update setup the T-Mobile logos and the My Account app on your phone like mine did? Is yours an unlocked model like mine? Just seeing if this is OS10 related thing based off the sim the software detects in the phone, thanks.
    03-14-13 02:28 PM
    I don't know for sure if BIS is even needed/used for the Z10. I have had BES data (with BIS included, I guess) for $5 per month for a long time. With my month old Z10 I have used our office's ActiveSync in lieu of BES 10, as we haven't done the BES 10 conversion. Have not tried to cancel BES as the grandfathered, unlimited Even More + family plan is very good ($160 before taxes for 5 phones) and I don't want to change plans if this would trigger a change. May ask in the future if I can drop the BIS, or maybe my firm will upgrade its server.

The APN is "grayed out" and has been since I popped the TMO sim in it. Says "fast.t-mobile.com". All data, text, voice, etc has been great - no issues except a network blip a week in. Have not tried to tether or use hotspot. Nor have I updated a small 4MB update to my current 10.0.10.85 software release. Model RFF91LW and "4G" most everywhere I have been. No sign of LTE yet...
    I did see a 4G LTE Icon pop up a couple of days ago here in the Detroit area, so I think we will be fine. They might be turning on and testing the 4G LTE network here before the release of the HTC One this month.
    03-14-13 02:32 PM
    mine is locked to Tmobile. Yes it has the Tmobile logos and the My account app. with active sync you should be good.
    03-14-13 02:38 PM
    I love these stories from users of other devices -- especially those who previously lost faith in BB and came back into the fold. Thanks for your perspective.
    I never lost faith in Blackberry, I was just disappointed with the lack of vision the company (RIM) had a few years back, but now I am giving them another chance with the Z10 and jumping in with both feet and that says allot.

The Z10 is a very nice product, the secret to selling this in the USA is going to be getting it into folks hands and let them see the great features it has and they (like me) will forget the shortcomings of the current app market and give it a chance and end up liking it. We will see in a few short weeks.
    dresz, pandapurple and trynacu2 like this.
    03-14-13 02:40 PM
    mine is locked to Tmobile. Yes it has the Tmobile logos and the My account app. with active sync you should be good.
    As I said in my review, I love the Z10 and the T-Mobile network has been perfect, I get 4G all the time.
    03-14-13 02:42 PM
    Reassuring stories like this keep the faith strong..I know the folks I'm around are tired of me bragging about the Z10 when I don't even have the device. I was thinking of going the unlocked route but I've waited this long so whats a view more___(insert proper time frame)
    maddie1128 likes this.
    03-14-13 02:48 PM
    Reassuring stories like this keep the faith strong..I know the folks I'm around are tired of me bragging about the Z10 when I don't even have the device. I was thinking of going the unlocked route but I've waited this long so whats a view more___(insert proper time frame)
    I am happy I went the unlocked route and it was hard to turn down the deal, I traded my factory unlocked iPhone 5 that I paid 300 US for 5 months ago to a dealer in Canada for the brand new Z10 100-3 and 150 US cash to me. I am a happy camper.
    03-14-13 03:04 PM
    Thanks for the review, i finally got to play with a Z10 at an ATT store today. It was so much fun to use and easy. i cant wait to get mines.
    brout and maddie1128 like this.
    03-14-13 03:13 PM
    I take it that you're on a postpaid plan with T-Mobile. When I had the BlackBerry Bold 9900 on a Monthly 4G account, I had to have the $10 BlackBerry data add-on.
    03-14-13 03:16 PM
    I had the similar experience with my Z10LE (100-3). I was using my 9700 on T-Mobile with BIS and went to their store to switch SIMs. They didn't know much about what was needed for service, but once the SIM was installed, the phone updated to .10.85 and added the T-Mobile app and screens.

I plan on going back towards the end of the month and checking on the need for BIS. Hopefully I can drop that without any service problems.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 03:32 PM
79 123 ...