As a three-week Z10 user, I have immersed myself in Z10 issues, particularly contact syncing. As a business user with limited technical background, my critical needs are syncing e-mail and contacts, and not much else.

It seems that the Z10 cannot reliably sync even new contacts with any e-mail service:, not Gmail, not Office 365/Exchange, etc. I am astounded by what Z10 users are putting themselves through: contortionate workarounds, all-nighters, compromised business activity, all to find a contacts sync solution. This is in the context of waiting for the continuously delayed 10.1 in the hope that it will provide the solution. Yet even the 10.1 leaks are not indicating a solution and hope still springs eternal.

With that sad state of affairs as a backdrop, for two weeks, my e-mail service has provided reliable two-way syncing of both new and amended contacts with their cloud service. I still carry around my old BB in my pocket for the legacy contacts. I found that to be annoying, until I realized how much worse off the rest of the Z10 community was. At that point, I thought a new thread from a newbie non-techie was in order.

My background: The hard drive on my old PC crashed a month ago. With a new PC, I wanted to rid myself of the intrusive Google octopus with an independent e-mail service. I researched them on EmailDiscussions.com Email Discussion Forums and pick the service that was widely considered the best: LuxSci - Compliant Business Email, Web, and Form Security and Solutions. As a BB user since before it was a phone, I knee-jerk picked up a Z10 from Bell Mobility. I never though to research the contacts issue.

A few days later, the Bell Mobility corporate tech who specialized in the Z10 told me that they were having a terrible time syncing the Z10 with anyone's cloud. At the most, maybe you can make IMAP work, they said, but forget about Exchange. I asked Peter at LuxSci, their in-house BB guru, for help. Peter sent me detailed instructions, which the Bell tech followed. Minutes later, my Z10 was syncing with LuxSci, using Exchange. The Bell tech told me that this was the smoothest sync up he had every done in nearly three months of Z10 tribulations.

Since then, I have had no sync problems, except, of course, legacy contacts will not sync. Of course, the current version of BB Link is of no help as a one-way sync from Outlook to the Z10.

That's my story. No, LexSci did not bribe me to say all of this; I just thought that it should be communicated to the legions of miserable Z10 owners who can't make their contacts sync. Here they are with years of intensive BB experience unable to function, while this business person with no tech background is cruising along well beyond stall speed. So if LuxSci gets some new subscribers from this, then good on them: they deserve it.

Now, how about some contact sync functionality in 10.1, Blackberry!
    Last edited by Canuck Biz Guy; 04-26-13 at 01:57 AM. Reason: title long
    04-26-13 12:03 AM
    bumpety bump
    04-26-13 01:11 AM
    Thanks, I've been to their website and they are HIPAA compliant... nice for healthcare professionals.

On the other hand they have some articles stating that BlackBerry is not HIPAA compliant because of BIS, and they don't mention BES and the fact that BB10 devices don't use BIS.

Posted via BlackBerry Z10
    04-26-13 02:14 AM
    A few days later, the Bell Mobility corporate tech who specialized in the Z10 told me that they were having a terrible time syncing the Z10 with anyone's cloud. At the most, maybe you can make IMAP work, they said, but forget about Exchange. I asked Peter at LuxSci, their in-house BB guru, for help. Peter sent me detailed instructions, which the Bell tech followed. Minutes later, my Z10 was syncing with LuxSci, using Exchange. The Bell tech told me that this was the smoothest sync up he had every done in nearly three months of Z10 tribulations.

Since then, I have had no sync problems, except, of course, legacy contacts will not sync. Of course, the current version of BB Link is of no help as a one-way sync from Outlook to the Z10.

That's my story. No, LexSci did not bribe me to say all of this; I just thought that it should be communicated to the legions of miserable Z10 owners who can't make their contacts sync. Here they are with years of intensive BB experience unable to function, while this business person with no tech background is cruising along well beyond stall speed. So if LuxSci gets some new subscribers from this, then good on them: they deserve it.

Now, how about some contact sync functionality in 10.1, Blackberry!
    In my opinion ........ you are the norm and not the exception.

We also need and I hope for improvements regarding contacts in 10.1!!!

As with all devices, there are people with issues (contacts or others) and this is where they come to get help, vent, etc. etc. You will always hear much more from those having problems than you will hear from others coming here to tell you of all of their great experiences.

Most, like me, have been syncing fine with most common services .... including gmail. Yes there are people having problems with gmail, and, BB has verified issues and coming updates. Yes, there have also been people reporting sync problems with Outlook.com and Yahoo.com also.

I am sync'ing with Outlook.com + Yahoo.com + Google.com and have Facebook + LinkedIn + Twitter in contacts and no problem. There are many others sync'ing with these services with no problem. Like you, this is more the norm than the exception.

Myself and IMO most have been syncing fine since day 1 with no problems with contacts, email, and calendar.

With everything posted here and given your reported use/need......... I certainly think it's a great thing that you found an alternative and that it has been successful and is apparently providing the level of service you desire.

And .... plenty are sync'ing their "legacy" contacts. There are plenty of ways to get them on your cloud and they will sync like any other contact.

Glad everything is working for you and that you found a system that works for you!! Let's all hope for some improvements with 10.1 that will resolve the issues that others are having!!!
    Last edited by duckduke; 04-26-13 at 08:50 AM.
    Canuck Biz Guy likes this.
    04-26-13 07:45 AM
    Oh ........ and please don't count me the 'legions' you refer to.

And..... I have no confidence in your first post!!!
    04-26-13 08:59 AM
    Your first post smells funny... glad your product works well for those with contacts' issues.

Although if you were a long time BlackBerry user, why the kneejerk buy of a z10? And without knowing any of the possible issues?

And count me out of the legions having issues with contacts, no issues since day one.

Enjoy your z10!

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 10:37 AM
    " if you were a long time BlackBerry user, why the kneejerk buy of a z10? And without knowing any of the possible issues?"

I only visited Crackberry after having sync issues a couple of weeks ago. For the previous decade, I might have read a review and thought of that as my due diligence.

As DuckDuke said, my impression as a newbie was probably overwhelmed by the litany of problems Z10 users were experiencing, without appreciating that they may be a small minority.
    04-26-13 03:45 PM
    Thank you, Duck.

Since you are syncing your contacts with Google, Outllook and Yahoo, which one of those would you most recommend, if you were forced to pick one? I want to avoid Google for its intrusiveness. Is moving to a Microsoft product, however, just jumping from the frying pan into the fire in that regard? This question might be a good thread.
    04-26-13 10:55 PM
    please correct me if i am wrong but i thought yahoo discontinued support for blackberry phones so you can't sync your calendar/contacts? has this been restored just for bb10 phones?
    04-28-13 10:17 PM