I've had my Z10 since it was release by Verizon back in April. On Tuesday I noticed my Z10 was not downloading any emails, so I decided to do a soft reboot. Well, that was the last time my Z10 ever started up.

It would never boot again, the BB logo would show progress, but the higher the %, the slower it got. I tried many battery pulls, but it did not help. Called up Verizon around 5pm and they sent a replacement overnight.

Wednesday I received the replacement, no battery, no back, just the phone. My other phone was still at 99% after around 18 hrs, time to pull the plug!

I installed my SD card, SIM card and battery and booted it up. I then do the over air update. After that is complete, hook it up to my PC and sideload my favorite Android apps. I then try to restore my latest backup from October via Link. I had been thinking I need to backup again the day before it was bricked. October 10th will have to do. Anyway, the restore failed telling me incompatible versions. Link did say there was an upgrade available so I install it.

After the second update, the restore runs and I am basically back in business minus my call logs for the last month. All I had to do was reconfigure my emails and for some reason BeBuzz Pro had the wrong contacts for the custom LEDs!!!

I was planning on getting the Z30 next week, so I guess this was a dry run for restoring a backup.

Overall, I am very impressed on how well this worked. It could have been a disaster, instead it was just a minor inconvenience. Good job BlackBerry.
    John Pawling likes this.
    11-07-13 07:52 AM
    It is nice to hear that it wasn't a horrible experience and that it all worked out in the end.

And I wanted to let you know that there's a possibility that your old Z10 still has life in it. Try reloading the operating system, either via Link or by downloading an autoloader from CrackBerry (get v.10.2.0.1791). If reloading the OS doesn't work, then it is indeed toast.

Q10 and Canadian all the way! Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    11-07-13 07:58 AM
    Glad the process worked. Just an FYI, though, never do a battery pull unless the phone is off. Especially never do it while it's rebooting.
    11-07-13 08:10 AM
    Glad the process worked. Just an FYI, though, never do a battery pull unless the phone is off. Especially never do it while it's rebooting.
    Why not do a battery pull when the phone is on? There are times you have no choice. I have done it on my Z10 when it froze and it wouldn't let me shut it off. I have done it on legacy devices as well with no I'll effect. Now if the phone is rebooting that may be another issue altogether. If I am missing something, please correct me, but I don't see the problem with a battery pull while the phone is on.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    11-07-13 08:36 AM
    Why not do a battery pull when the phone is on? There are times you have no choice. I have done it on my Z10 when it froze and it wouldn't let me shut it off. I have done it on legacy devices as well with no I'll effect. Now if the phone is rebooting that may be another issue altogether. If I am missing something, please correct me, but I don't see the problem with a battery pull while the phone is on.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    It was a bit different with BBOS. It's standard knowledge that you don't just disconnect the power source on a computerised device. Do you pull the battery on your laptop when it's on? I don't, but I have done a hard reboot (hold the power button) when it went into total system freeze-up a few times.

11-07-13 08:50 AM
    I only did the battery pull when it was failing to boot. I could not get the phone to be recognized by Link or by Windows so I do not think there was anything to be done. Since I had a backup, it really was not a big deal to just restore it.
    11-07-13 09:17 AM
    It was a bit different with BBOS. It's standard knowledge that you don't just disconnect the power source on a computerised device. Do you pull the battery on your laptop when it's on? I don't, but I have done a hard reboot (hold the power button) when it went into total system freeze-up a few times.

While it probably is an exception to this rule - my Tivo does NOT have any power button. If it is operating, there is a Restart option but if it freezes, the solution is to PULL THE PLUG! That's the way it is designed.
    11-07-13 10:17 AM
    While it probably is an exception to this rule - my Tivo does NOT have any power button. If it is operating, there is a Restart option but if it freezes, the solution is to PULL THE PLUG! That's the way it is designed.
    That's the exception to the rule. What exactly is a Tivo anyhow?

11-07-13 11:28 AM