My boss's Bold 9900 needed to be replaced. He hated touch screens especially after trying out the iPhone 4G for 2 weeks. He loves his MacBook Pro but hates the iPhone and prefers BlackBerrys. I have heard him say that he will wait for the Q10 but because he was going away for a trip soon, he needed a phone badly. He agreed to test the Z10 for this very important trip to Europe.

Two weeks and 4 European countries later, he said he loves the phone. The first thing he loved about it was how the keyboard got smarter and smarter everyday to a point where he did not type a single word to compose a message. He also appreciated how the browser was so much faster than the iPhone's. He liked how wifi connected immediately as soon as he was within range of one that he had already saved (i.e. hotel, cafe, etc.). He also said that composing documents produced 'real' Word documents. He said this to me, our Operations Manager, and our President by the water cooler.

Unfortunately, on his way through the airport on the way back home, one of the security guards in the xray machines flipped the bin while his phone was still in it and it fell flat on the steel surface and the screen shattered. And because the digitizer is part of the glass, the screen is now unusable. I am in the process of getting it replaced because he wants it back. He said that he wants the Z10 to become the office's official phone (currently, our Operations Manager is pushing for iPhones).

Just wanted to share this story that even stubborn hard-core QWERTY bosses can be converted.
    04-02-13 03:47 PM
    nice story. me likey
    deercreekmichael likes this.
    04-02-13 03:50 PM
    Bummer for sure! Should be very easy and quick to fix. The recent teardowns rate the Z10 as the most repairable of smartphones.
    04-02-13 03:52 PM
    Feel sorry for the ending.. poor z10 killed by the guard
    vptsff and deercreekmichael like this.
    04-02-13 03:52 PM
    Great story. Thanks for sharing.
    04-02-13 03:54 PM
    best thread title EVER!!
    04-02-13 03:55 PM
    The guard should be sued. kidding. A case may have helped here.

Anyways I'm beginning to realize the Z10 will sell more on word-of-mouth as the experience one gets on the device cannot be closely translated to any marketing material.
    04-02-13 03:56 PM
    Thanks for this story. I would have cried if that happened to me
    04-02-13 03:58 PM
    That is a perfect exemple showing that you need to try the phone in order to appreciate it.
    Unfortunatly other phone in the market has set precedent, many time not positive.

If they could afford, BlackBerry should really proposed some kind of free try period for any one that are looking for replacement phone.
    ..Quite sure they will convert many hard minded consumers.
    04-02-13 04:06 PM
    Our ops manager said it's obviously better because it came out 6 months after the iPhone 5 yet it doesn't have gorilla glass. But my boss said that when he brought it in to our wireless dealer, the staffer was surprised because that was the first time he saw a Z10 with a broken screen, something they see everyday on an iPhone.
    mkelley65 likes this.
    04-02-13 04:45 PM
    Yeah Gorilla Glass !? ...its still glass, and glass is a fragile materiel, maybe Gorilla Glass is more scratch resistant, but they do break also.
    You should show this video to your OPS Manager, where iPhone 5 did not last very long in this test.

But if he's really looking for a device that is more likely on the unbreakable side ..I could sold you my old BB9700

See below kids frustration in action on a BB9700 (Score: BB9700: +1, Kids frustrations: also +1)
    04-03-13 09:57 AM
    I cried at the end

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 10:07 AM
    ...But if he's really looking for a device that is more likely on the unbreakable side ..I could sold you my old BB9700

See below kids frustration in action on a BB9700 (Score: BB9700: +1, Kids frustrations: also +1)
    1:05 best part: Bold goes: "Say a command" hahahahahahahahah at 1:36 AGAIN... ROFLMAO
    04-17-13 05:49 PM
    I agree with the keyboard. I considered myself a hardcore QWERTY user. I suppose I still am, but the prediction and autocorrect is so good that I can type with reckless abandon by sheer muscle memory without looking consciously at the keyboard, just like I would do with my laptop. Even better, I can switch back and forth between two languages in the same sentence - amazing.
    currentodysseys likes this.
    04-17-13 06:32 PM
    I agree with the keyboard. I considered myself a hardcore QWERTY user. I suppose I still am, but the prediction and autocorrect is so good that I can type with reckless abandon by sheer muscle memory without looking consciously at the keyboard, just like I would do with my laptop. Even better, I can switch back and forth between two languages in the same sentence - amazing.
    +1!

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 01:52 AM
    Feel sorry for the ending.. poor z10 killed by the guard
    + 1
    But really nice story!
    04-24-13 02:53 AM
    Sorry for digging this up but there's a follow up to this story. My boss's mom asked me if I could resurrect her bold 9000 but it was hopeless. So instead, I started showing her what she could do with the Z10 by having her navigate the phone to do common tasks herself. She was literally blown away and we both knew for sure it was what she wanted to have even though she wanted a qwerty device to replace it. Two weeks later, she handed me her new shiny iPhone so I could setup her emails. She said she was sorry but she got swayed into getting that one instead of the Z10. I bet it was our iCentric operations manager.
    10-28-13 09:25 PM