BlackBerry 10 is a wonderful system and phone to use, but one would be a fool to say that it is perfect. The interface is smooth, fast, intuitive and user-friendly upon becoming accustomed to the button less gesture-laden interface. The BlackBerry Z10 is a decent size that actually happens to be a bit larger in screen real estate than the iPhone 5, meaning it has more room to work around. BlackBerry 10's messaging features are fantastic, integrating everything into a well-organized Hub in which SMS, MMS, email and social networrks like Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn are all viewable. And then there's the wonderful and extremely secure Password Keeper app.

Security has never been a problem with BlackBerry, so that should have gone without saying. Call quality was solid and I enjoyed making phone calls on it, often using the clear speakerphone that was made available to me. There were no issues about that at all. Everything just looked so clean, balanced, even, and organized. I loved that part of the BB10 experience. As far as aesthetics, BlackBerry is certainly headed in the right direction above the other devices currently on the market, and that's something to look forward to.

On top of that, the keyboard is unbelievable. It's ultra-responsive and has a very smart and intuitive system that makes it easy for all users to use and grow accustomed to over time. The keyboard eventually learns your writing habits and soon knows what to predict as far as words are concerned, and also knows how to do so with more than one language at the same time. For someone that uses phones mainly for messaging, this is ideal. BlackBerry has not disappointed its users thus far, and doesn't plan on doing so in the future. I especially loved the fact that the notes feature was replaced with full integration with the Evernotes app, which is ideal in a world more familiar with clouds.

The BlackBerry Z10 feels very good in my hands, and has great size without feeling too thick. In fact, it's somewhat of a thin phone in the hand, but doesn't feel cheap. I love the classy design by BlackBerry and this phone's look carries on the smartphone maker's reputation of giving off an elite, business-class vibe. I love the way it looks and feels. From the outset, you'd think to yourself--what in the world are those paragraphs sitting below this one if this phone is as good as I'm making it out to be? The answer is simple.

As I have said before, no smartphone is perfect. Again, let me reiterate that I am a loyal BlackBerry user and have been for years, but it is what it is. I have to keep it real. Despite BB10's advantages, there remain a series of major issues that must be addressed: battery life, bugs, applications, and application quality, among many others that I won't even bother mentioning as these are mainstream issues.

Battery Life: The BlackBerry Z10 is apparently BlackBerry's flagship phone, and for all its qualities, the battery life is subpar. There's no easy way to say this--it's hard to enjoy a smartphone that won't last you through the day. It's worse off than iPhone and Android, and for a phone whose parent company is trying to return to respectability, this is no good. Even with extended battery packs (which are few as it is), the Z10 doesn't match up with the S3, and this is with conservative use. I imagine an S3 with an extended battery to be wonderful.

Bugs: BB10 has been established as a new take on the long-dormant BlackBerry series, but not without imperfections. While some may attribute it to either software or hardware, there are some problems with random reboots, notification bugs, and overall primitive issues in comparison to what others have to face on other devices. No one likes to have to deal with those, and I'm certainly one of them. For example, I have always loved BlackBerry for being able to use custom notifications for specific contacts. While this option appears to be available in BB10, a bug makes it so that notifications can be a mess from time to time. There's no confirmation of it being fixed in a future update like 10.2, and I don't feel like waiting that long with this phone already having enough issues as it is. While Android doesn't have it built in right away, there are apps available that make this problem a non-issue on Android, so it's something I can manage with.

Applications: For the longest, BlackBerry's problems have been thhat they are absolutely terrible at having a well-developed application library worth writing home about. BlackBerry 10 is no better. Forget about what the CEO said at launch; a large majority of the 100,000 apps boasted at startup are cheap Android ports, meaning none of them were native. That severely hampers the usability of the app, and causes the device to work harder, thus burning the already-weak battery even more. The rest of the apps found in BlackBerry World are pathetic bootleg versions of apps that are popular on other devices. On top of that, many of the apps worth downloading and using on a daily basis actually cost money where they would be free elsewhere. That's ridiculous. For someone that enjoys many of Google's apps like GMail, Translate, Maps and many more, using BB10 is a very limited and frustrating experience. It sucks not knowing that many mainstream apps you see on television won't ever make it to BB10 in this time period if at all. That's not good.

Application Quality: Look, application quality on BB10 is subpar, to say the least. Actually, let's be really honest, here: Most of these apps are crap. Many of them are bootleg versions of real apps that don't work and aren't even in the right language at times. Where apps would load almost instantly on other platforms, they often freeze or crash on BB10, assuming they manage to get past the start screen. In addition to what was mentioned before about applications, this is a recipe for disaster for anyone thinking BlackBerry has a chance at surviving in this iOS/Android world. There's no sugarcoating it. It's hard for someone to hold on to this device, even with Samsung's Galaxy and Apple's iPhone series selling like hotcakes. They have too much to offer, even with BlackBerry's Hub, keyboard and messaging features. The others are just too appealing for consumers, and BlackBerry, though young, won't be a serious threat to anyone because of these.

Bottom Line: I have always loved BlackBerry and will continue to love it, but I have to spend some time away from the product for a little while. Hopefully the BlackBerry A10 will be leaps and bounds better than the Z10, but as this proved, without substance, a phone is nothing. I hope to return someday to BlackBerry, but for now, Android's sales pitch has done more than enough to sway me, if for a little while. As great as BlackBerry's keyboard is, I can find something similar (though not equal) in the Google Play store that will suit me just fine. Android can handle Microsoft Exchange e-mail accounts in addition to e-mail, and obviously has full app support. Many of BB10's apps are cheap Android ports, which is saying something.

I want native apps on my phone, so if I want real apps, why not go to the OS the apps themselves were originally made for? Let's be honest. For all the good things I've said about the Z10's interface, the S4 is absolutely gorgeous. BlackBerry made a huge leap in attempting a comeback, but it's just not enough--not yet, anyhow. The A10 will determine that, and so will the less-than-mediocre BlackBerry World. Good luck selling a phone to Americans without a working native Skype or Instagram app.

Forget Facebook and Twitter being barebones enough as it is. The world is moving faster, and the Z10 is starting to show its age. If the Z10 were released when it was supposed to be, maybe BlackBerry would have had a chance. But I see the light now. I want the complete smartphone experience, and I know I'll have that with the Samsung Galaxy S4. I'm ready to switch.

I want to come back home, but home isn't doing it for me right now. I'd love to get the A10, but this experience taught me that it's more than the phone, but what's in it.
    SubCamp, hazarder, CHIP72 and 3 others like this.
    07-01-13 04:27 PM
    Please, not another "I love Blackberry, but I'm leaving" thread!!!
    trynacu2 and cyblitz like this.
    07-01-13 04:32 PM
    OP: Be prepared for the onslaught of BlackBerry removable batteries that will be flying at your head from these fanboys because of this thread.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 04:38 PM
    Another one bites the dust

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 04:38 PM
    My wife's S3 contracted some malware tonight and ceased to operate properly. She had to download some type of Security /antivirus app to deal with it. As a business owner there is no way that a breach of that nature is tolerable. This Z10 handles with ease what i need it to and i don't worry about security at all. If i have to make do without a few apps that I'd never use anyway, so be it.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.2354 on O2 UK
    mshehryar and saimrathi like this.
    07-01-13 04:43 PM
    OP, your thoughtful analysis of the Z10 from an unbiased perspective was dead on. Simple, respectful and accurate.
    Good job

Posted via CB10
    RJMarc likes this.
    07-01-13 04:44 PM
    I hope you return in a month and tell us your experience with android. It's obvious you want what I call "An arcade Experience" on your phone. And that's alright. You know what you want and I hope you find it.

However, I have an ipod, I have an android tablet. I want specific things in my phone that I have not been able to get from those systems. I want ease of use I want fast communication. I want to be able to do many things at once. I want the true Internet and not some stripped down mobile version where I have to use players and apps to make things work. There are bugs in this brand new os, but there are also bugs in the others. I believe there are many people that want what you want, I'm sure many more want what you want than what I want. But I am not the only person that thinks this phone is the only phone out there that will give me what I need in a phone. In fact I KNOW that the other os's cannot give me what I need, because I use them... for games, and games only. So don't think that it is a dead system, or that it is too late for them, simply because it's not what you need. Enjoy your new phone and let us know how long it takes you to stop trying to swipe to get to your emails and texts.

Posted via CB10
    saimrathi likes this.
    07-01-13 05:02 PM
    I hope you return in a month and tell us your experience with android. It's obvious you want what I call "An arcade Experience" on your phone. And that's alright. You know what you want and I hope you find it.

However, I have an ipod, I have an android tablet. I want specific things in my phone that I have not been able to get from those systems. I want ease of use I want fast communication. I want to be able to do many things at once. I want the true Internet and not some stripped down mobile version where I have to use players and apps to make things work. There are bugs in this brand new os, but there are also bugs in the others. I believe there are many people that want what you want, I'm sure many more want what you want than what I want. But I am not the only person that thinks this phone is the only phone out there that will give me what I need in a phone. In fact I KNOW that the other os's cannot give me what I need, because I use them... for games, and games only. So don't think that it is a dead system, or that it is too late for them, simply because it's not what you need. Enjoy your new phone and let us know how long it takes you to stop trying to swipe to get to your emails and texts.

Posted via CB10
    Um, sure. Because that wasn't condescending.

Like I said, I LOVED that part of BlackBerry, and even with this S4 in my hands, nothing compares to it. But there's more to a phone than messaging, and using the Z10 opened my eyes to that. The apps I use on my iPad are VERY convenient on the road, and the Z10's battery is too weak to where I could bring that over to it, aside from the fact that more than 90% of those apps wouldn't be available or free on the Z10. Those are facts, and I was very clear about that the first time.
    07-01-13 05:06 PM
    OP: So sad but so true. Me - a long time BlackBerry fan - I'm there with you.

MMDDZZ
    07-01-13 05:09 PM
    A native Skype app? I heard several people say that the ported app works better on Bb10 than on Android. Also, the average American won't know the difference between a native and ported app.

Posted via CB10 ~ visit my portrait channel C0011B779
    cccd3cpt likes this.
    07-01-13 05:14 PM
    I agree with everything, except the last part which had some evil in it. Lol
    I LOVE my blackberry z10 more than anything, but if you're a person looking for. The greatest video game apps, all types of customizing. This phone isn't that, it's simple easy to use and sadly has the bare minimum when it comes to those things and I don't care because my life is too demanding to be sitting around worrying about such minimal things. Idk quick thought.

Posted via BlackBerry z10
    saimrathi likes this.
    07-01-13 05:21 PM
    Good review - I would have liked it regardless if you decided to stay with the Z10 or not. Balanced reviews that acknowledge both the pros and cons are usually more honest than "the Z10/Q10 is the greatest thing ever and I've never used anything besides a Blackberry!" or "the Z10/Q10 sucks because it is made by Blackberry!"

I will say that based on my own Android experience, Android IMO isn't all that it's cracked up to be. (Mind you, even having said that, I like Android 2.x more than BB7, which pretty much tells you all you need to know about how I feel about BB7.) There always seemed to be some sort of performance issue with Android devices that drove me (and from reading comments on various Mobile Nations forums, a lot of other people) nuts. (I personally prefer iOS and WP OS - I'm still trying to determine which one I like better - but I also want to give BB10 a go in a few months after I've had more time with my brand new Nokia Lumia 928 because I also like the BB Tablet OS and if BB10 has some similarities, I'll probably like that too.)
    Last edited by CHIP72; 07-01-13 at 06:22 PM.
    07-01-13 05:38 PM

In all seriousness, with regard to the bolded part above, buy a chromebook. I really don't like Android, but I really do like my chromebook, and the fact that it has a "real" browser is one of the reasons why I think it is vastly superior to tablets in general.
    07-01-13 05:44 PM
    The z10 is far from perfect, but it's a joy to use with a few work arounds that can easily be fixed like apps that don't exist ect. At least for me. It's a good size ( although I think 4.5 is perfect screen size) a breeze to navigate once you grow familiar with gestures. As a brand new operating system its a home run. I OS and android were awful at first, I'm waiting to see how blackberry improves the OS and apps, and hardware. I'm in no way loyal to any OS or device as I've owned the s3 and iPhone 4s.....for now though...... I'm loving the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 06:11 PM
    What it all boils down to...Apps.

This is real. We want native apps for our phone. Some are willing to wait for it. Others not.

My strategy, I have two phones.

For others, they went the iTouch or tablet route and turning on their hotspot.

For the least tolerant, they leave and deal with Android for a phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 06:13 PM
    The z10 is far from perfect, but it's a joy to use with a few work arounds that can easily be fixed like apps that don't exist ect. At least for me. It's a good size ( although I think 4.5 is perfect screen size) a breeze to navigate once you grow familiar with gestures. As a brand new operating system its a home run. I OS and android were awful at first, I'm waiting to see how blackberry improves the OS and apps, and hardware. I'm in no way loyal to any OS or device as I've owned the s3 and iPhone 4s.....for now though...... I'm loving the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    And as I said, I look forward to coming back when it matures.

I stuck with a crappy Curve 8530 from 2009 to 2013 and felt I deserved a change, even as MetroPCS continued to belt out Android phone after Android phone. I will continue to monitor BlackBerry's progress, and can't wait to get BBM on this S4.
    07-01-13 06:14 PM
    And as I said, I look forward to coming back when it matures.

I stuck with a crappy Curve 8530 from 2009 to 2013 and felt I deserved a change, even as MetroPCS continued to belt out Android phone after Android phone. I will continue to monitor BlackBerry's progress, and can't wait to get BBM on this S4.
    Neat.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 08:40 PM
    Um, sure. Because that wasn't condescending.

Like I said, I LOVED that part of BlackBerry, and even with this S4 in my hands, nothing compares to it. But there's more to a phone than messaging, and using the Z10 opened my eyes to that. The apps I use on my iPad are VERY convenient on the road, and the Z10's battery is too weak to where I could bring that over to it, aside from the fact that more than 90% of those apps wouldn't be available or free on the Z10. Those are facts, and I was very clear about that the first time.
    Sorry if I sounded condescending, wasn't meaning to. Fact of the matter is, I didn't skim your post. I read every line, agreed with most of it. I understand apps being a huge deciding factor for someone. As someone that came from legacy devices and used to use my battery as an argument against ios, I understand how much it sucks that this battery doesn't last as long.

In fact, the only thing I disagreed with was you stating the z10 is showing its age, is too late, and is not complete. I have real issues with people consistently coming on here and saying it's not complete because it doesn't have what they individually want. I bought my other devices with the soul intention of using them for my job, for being more productive with them. I used palm pilots for the longest time and am always looking for something that will make my work day easier, quicker, etc. Ios was a joke for this. Android was better, but to get it to do what I wanted, I'd have had to do so much app juggling. Legacy blackberry was best I could get, and yes, it was still missing...'something'. This phone is the first thing that has been wholly able to do everything I want it to do. And I'm being surprised daily with things it can do that I never considered, and now can't imagine being without. This phone is the most complete gadget I have ever owned.

So most of your complaints I understand, and even if I don't agree with them, I get it. Of course I understand your likes on it. I understand that what you need and want is better found on Android, and hope you enjoy your new phone to the fullest. Honestly, outside of this board where it seems I spend most of my time on the defensive, I'm very complementary of Samsung. My tv, blue ray, camera, video camera, and tablet are all Samsung. I love how they really are innovative with their technology, (yeah guys, they are, the way their stuff communicates with each other is awesome) and high on my wishlist is a Samsung smart tv. So no, I'm not insulting your choice, but please don't help spread the rumor that z10 is incomplete.

And I was serious about letting us know how long it takes you to get past the swipe. I love how reviewers constantly say the gestures are unintuitive, then continue to try and use them on the devices they're comparing them to. I'm constantly trying to use gestures on my tab.

There are many people that post the "I'm Leaving" post on here that do it in a way that is intolerable. You were not one of them. Thanks for that. (just remember... not for you does not mean incomplete)

Posted via CB10
    haringfish likes this.
    07-01-13 09:20 PM
    bradu1,

I think your experience has been pretty similar to mine. I started with Palm Pilots, then Treo's until finally switching to BB. I only switched to BB because I needed a cheap replacement when my Treo broke and the Pre's weren't out. I'd tried an old windows phone and hated it so the Verizon rep suggested I try one of the old cheaper model BB's....can't remember what the cheap entry level ones were. I didn't think it had all the bells and whistles of my Treo but I fell in love with the simplicity and convenience of the thing. I stuck with BB until the Pre, then returned to BB Bold's. Loved how efficient the phone was at communication and it always irritated me when people said BB's great for messaging but sucked for anything else. I used the heck out of mine. GPS apps for working out, podcasting, kayak for buying tickets, Pandora and slacker, BB travel was an awesome app, google maps, dropbox, docs to go, facebook, twitter, etc. The only thing I ever felt I was missing was a great browser.

I switched to Android for awhile, tried the new windows phone, and always came back to BB. Just missed the efficiency of it. My last switch was to an iPhone and I got rid of that in a couple of weeks. I couldn't believe how much harder it was to do simple things like add attachments to emails or upload photos directly to facebook from within the camera app. Other then a better browser, the iPhone was definitely not an improvement. I ended up settling on my BB Bold and a playbook for better web browsing. This was a perfect combo.

Then I got an iPod touch through work and thought I had the best of both worlds, a BB Bold for a phone and a touch for all the apple apps that I couldn't have on my phone. It sits in a desk drawer mostly collecting dust. I now have a Z10 and it is the absolute best combination. The efficiency of a BB (although I do miss the one handed convenience of the trackpad) with an amazing browser. I have Netflix, waze, facebook, twitter, skype etc. I even find myself amazed at how well the browser works in place of separate apps. I recently joined USAA for banking and was disappointed they have no BB Z10 app. I went to the website and used their mobile enabled site and it worked great. I then downloaded the USAA app to my touch and it is exactly the same as the browser version on my BB. Had the same experience with another website recently too....the web version works just like the mobile android/iphone app.

So like many others I felt the pull to a "cooler" platform but was always drawn back because BB just works better, especially now that the browser is amazing. I still have an apple product that I play with from time to time (there's a language app I use...until I figure out how to port it) but I definitely don't see it as a better device than my Z10.
    Last edited by jteagle; 07-01-13 at 11:16 PM.
    bradu1 and saimrathi like this.
    07-01-13 10:57 PM
    It all comes down to what is important. Status, email management, apps, security, speed, price, battery life, etc. I've been using the Z10 for several weeks. My prios are security and battery life (3 days). I don't care too much about apps, its a phone and not a PC. The speaker and audio on the Z10 is exceptionally good - listen to e.g. David Garrett is amazing even when just on speaker. Security I would have BIG issues with Android and iOS - read too many wierd stories.

I'm sticking with the Z10 as for me its the best option. Having said that, everyone must make up his own mind what the priorities are . Just be happy!
    07-02-13 08:12 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...t-here-260887/

Marc, that was a well done piece, however, it seems to be attracting unwanted comments. I certainly wish you the best with the S4, it is a very nice piece of work, even if it's not a BlackBerry. I did add the thread where further thoughts can be taken, and it would be nice if certain members could learn to control their rampant opinions and treat others with dignity and respect when they post. I will close this before things get out of hand with a thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience.
    sheeraz_aa likes this.
    07-02-13 12:48 PM