I very much like the way OS 10.0 handles multitasking, you know exactly what is running and what is not.

Now news says OS 10.1 will allow an application to run in background without being inside a frame.

I remember my experience with old 9900, it is a VERY nice phone, however some developers decided to let their apps pop up advertisements at any moment, disable my 9900 for half a minute, then goes away. Such applications totally ruined my experience with OS 7.

Now I am afraid that those annoying advertisements will come back again once an app can be running without user's notice...
    04-26-13 01:38 AM
    And based on that I'm thinking that it's better to have a dedicated task manager app monitoring all running processes, as a proper 'mobile computing platform'.

Posted via my Awesome Zed10
    johnnyuk, IqWaN and hzguo like this.
    04-26-13 01:54 AM
    I'm sure there will be a way to stop them. Think of the things that can't be done without a background app (or are just lousy... Like wallpaper changers that have to have a frame open all the time, do you like that?)

Sure it will be able to be abused but I think some people will be happy with the feature. Obviously others won't.
    04-26-13 01:59 AM
    I don't know about this multitasking thing. Maybe I'm messed up, but I don't like apps being open. I actually close each app on my Z10 when in done with it.
    My other problem is the information shown on the active tiles. For some apps like weather its a good concept, but others like the browser I have a problem with. It shows which Web page I was on. So anyone can see that I had my girlfriend's latest pic on Facebook open, it's there on the browser tile. Anyone using my phone can see what I was upto.

Posted via CB10
    hzguo likes this.
    04-26-13 02:32 AM
    That's why blackberry can't release the headless api for apps for now. They are planning the best way so developers can't abuse your phone on the background

Posted via CB10
    ifeuma and hzguo like this.
    04-26-13 02:40 AM
    I am of the view BBRY should release API to developers so that they can integrate applications similar to native ones. For examples, BeBuzz 10 and Hub++ etc are very useful apps but since api is not available so these aren't so useful in the sense that in order to use, these have to be opened and defaults have to be deactivated. Funny things. Why to penalize genuine developers?
    04-26-13 05:16 AM
    I think part of it is on us as well to choose our apps carefully, and not be opposed to paying for good quality apps.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 05:21 AM
    *sigh*

OP, this isn't an issue. And yes, I'll be that dismissive about it. BBOS didn't multitask in any sense, and BB10s come with 2GB RAM and a wicked little dual-core processor. Whole order of magnitude better performance.

So-called "headless" apps are a good thing. Really.
    eninrebmun likes this.
    04-26-13 05:25 AM
    First of all OP do some research before claiming things please. 10.1 WILL not have headless apps capability, that capability will probably come in the next major OS update after May as that's when the dev conference takes place in Orlando Florida.
    Now unless they have changed it recently ie headless apps in 10.1 then that is news to me as I spend a lot of time on here and from what I have heard and read 10.1 won't have headless apps.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 05:51 AM
    I think part of it is on us as well to choose our apps carefully, and not be opposed to paying for good quality apps.

Posted via CB10
    I remember it took me about a month time to find out where those annoying advertisements came from, after a month or two, my BB 9900 was free from those annoying ads.

I don't mind paying for a free app - if its advertisement was not annoying, and if the developer let me KNOW where the annoying advertisement comes from (I am saying to you, dev of expense manager)
    04-26-13 05:04 PM
    'Headless' apps aren't coming in 10.1.
    http://www.berryreview.com/2013/04/2...blackberry-10/

Posted via CB10
    hzguo likes this.
    04-26-13 05:07 PM
    phew, thanks
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    04-26-13 05:09 PM
    Why to penalize genuine developers?
    BlackBerry does not like competitors, especially those capable of showing up the deficiencies of Team BlackBerry.
    04-26-13 06:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely. I buy native BlackBerry 10 applications that are of sufficient quality to justify the expense. I avoid ported Google Android applications.
    04-26-13 06:23 PM
    When BlackBerry releases headless apps(not in 10.1) they'll release a task manager too. Not including one would be a HUGE blunder.
    04-26-13 06:28 PM
    Absolutely. I buy native BlackBerry 10 applications that are of sufficient quality to justify the expense. I avoid ported Google Android applications.
    Same here but that doesn't mean a native app is better than an Android port.
    Especially now BlackBerry have opened up "Built For BlackBerry" status for WebWorks apps.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 07:32 PM
    phew, thanks
    You're welcome.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 07:32 PM
    doesn't mean a native app is better than an Android port.
    Posted via CB10
    True. For example, the Kik app sideloaded works as fast as a native app. If it could run in the background (i.e.: not require an active frame), it would be perfect.
    04-26-13 10:04 PM