I didn't think he was baiting people at all. His concerns were legit, and as a business user too, I can see how they would be
    deal breakers. He has legitimate business-related needs related to whatever device he uses.

Perhaps it would not be perceived as such had you worded your queries differently,

One is Hardly looking for advice, with threats of "taking back your device to the return counter" and using phrases such as "deal breaker " etc but then again your are an attorney so I guess you knew exactly as to your choice of words.

Sorry if my perception of your choice of words is off base. I'm in the legal field as well.

Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    02-19-14 08:15 AM
    OP should stick with WP8 when it so seamlessly aligns with His needs, especially because of 3 day battery life which cannot be matched by any other modern smartphone in this plane of reality.
    Easy now, we've been told that responses like this are inappropriate... remember, they are watching....

Posted via My Quick as a Flick Z10
    02-19-14 08:15 AM
    This is definitely the kind of help he needs and I had a feeling that it would come from someone who had experience with MS Exchange.

I'd be willing to bet though that BlackBerry developers are working on this issue already. It's one that clearly has got to be addressed.

Hey howard-moore,

I'm an Exchange engineer and I install, maintain, and support Exchange mail servers, Outlook users, and BlackBerry phones (Legacy and 10) for a living. About your first problem, I don't see anyway to resolve this on the phone itself. I don't know much about your environment, but if you are running Exchange 2010 or Exchange 2013, I can suggest a work around. If you can sway one of your IT people to put in a "Transport Rule" for you, you can have Exchange automatically BCC you on outbound email. You can then file the BCC copy of the message you recieve.

The command to add the transport rule would look something like this:
    Code:
    New-TransportRule -Name 'YourName - Auto-BCC Self' -Comments 'Auto BCC sent items to self to workaround lack of filing sent messages on BlackBerry 10.' -Enabled $true -From '[email protected]' -BlindCopyTo '[email protected]' -ExceptIfSentTo '[email protected]'
    If you only wanted to be BCC'd on emails bound for external contacts you could change it up a little like this:
    Code:
    New-TransportRule -Name 'YourName - Auto-BCC Self' -Comments 'Auto BCC sent items to self to workaround lack of filing sent messages on BlackBerry 10.' -Enabled $true -From '[email protected]' -SentToScope 'NotInOrganization' -BlindCopyTo '[email protected]'
    This is the best solution I could come up with. Kind of a bummer. I know how important it is to stick with your filing method. There is no correct way to organize email, it's whatever works for you.
    02-19-14 08:17 AM
    This is helpful info, and something that should be forwarded to the development team, in case anyone reading this
    knows anyone on the team. That's a crazy shortcoming for a phone that's supposed to be geared toward the business community.

Yes, you can file RECEIVED emails using BB10.

But you cannot file a SENT email with BB10 connected to MS Exchange, I just tested that.

It looks like an unfortunate OS limitation.
    02-19-14 08:21 AM
    I didn't think he was baiting people at all. His concerns were legit, and as a business user too, I can see how they would be
    deal breakers. He has legitimate business-related needs related to whatever device he uses.
    Fair enough, I think that OP should stick with WP8 as it meets his needs. Yes the OS is missing features but it's developing still. I use my device on the go, being in the same field and I have been able to find a work around as the "quirks" are far too little in contrast to the advantages on BlackBerry 10 for me. Especially that great battery life on his lumia of 3 days of moderate to heavy use.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackbrry fan; 02-19-14 at 10:19 AM.
    02-19-14 08:50 AM
    Fair enough, I think that OP should stick with WP8 as it meets his needs. Yes the OS is missing features but it's developing still. I use my device on the go, being in the same field and I have been able to find a work around as the "quirks" are far too little in contrast to the advantages on BlackBerry 10 for me. Especially that great battery life on his lumia of 3 days of moderate to heavy use.

Posted via CB10
    Truth be told, I'm starting to agree with you on that. The battery life is improving, and on the premise that BB will surely be improving compatibility with Exchange and offering full functionality eventually, I am starting to lean towards keeping it.

The main reason is that the device is just so nice - to type on, hold, navigate around and use. If any OEMs making Windows Phone ever manage to design a phone that looks and feels like a Z10 AND MSFT manage to 'grow up' the platform to be a little less 'drawn with crayons' then I believe it will be a winner, but for now I am really enjoying my return to the BB fold. I was nearly put off when I bought a Playbook 64GB the day it was released and saw the platform dropped like a hot stone, but am impressed with the work that has been going on since then on BB10. A particular 'win' is now that so many Android apps are available - I guarantee it will be more than a year before WP get apps like HSBC banking etc. - in one swoop BB10 has suddenly become very relevant again, and I reckon should come with Snap pre-installed or merged with BB World - perhaps with little warning markers next to all the actual Android Apps, or showing a BB symbol next to the actual BB or made for BB10 apps.

Anyway, good job BB, and thanks BB community - you are convincing a sceptic!
    johnnyuk and Omnitech like this.
    02-19-14 11:16 AM
    I owned a Lumia 928 and the navigation is nice but still inferior to blackberry. The navigation and email on a blackberry has and still is the beat IMO. Both windows and blackberries lack the apps but it's looking like android apps will be the norm for both.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-14 11:23 AM
    OP should stick with WP8 when it so seamlessly aligns with His needs, especially because of 3 day battery life which cannot be matched by any other modern smartphone in this plane of reality.
    I can get 3 days out of my Z30 of I don't hammer it none stop, easily.

10.2.1.1925 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.1
    02-19-14 11:34 AM
    Apologies to all for this thread resurrection, but I thought I would share with you all my experiences of sticking with BB10 6 months on.

There were three issues that really stuck in the claw for me:

1. Battery life
    2. Filing of sent emails
    3. OneNote

I will address each in turn to let you know how we worked around the issues, and why I am now completely converted to BB10 as the ONLY mobile OS that I am going to use for the foreseeable future.

1. BATTERY LIFE
    OK, so this is not great on the Z10, but it's not awful either. It has better-than-iphone battery life, and I have bought spare batteries and chargers and put them everywhere which means that I can be at full power in an instant. I don't smoke, but a spare battery is the size of a small, slim lighter, and if I'm out all day I just take one of the fully charged ones with me and stick it in a pocket as you would a lighter. Also, the phone just does so much - I reckon much of the poor battery life is because I can't leave it alone for more than a few minutes before swiping and playing with it - it's a victim of its own success!! Basically,the battery life is not an issue for a modern professional, and I would take the lesser replaceable battery over a longer life fixed battery any day now.

2. FILING SENT MESSAGES
    So, this still isn't possible, but I have heard that it is coming in 10.3. If I'm honest it hasn't been a massive issue, and in fact having to file messages when back at the office on Outlook has been a useful way of reminding myself what work I've done and what time I need to record (I'm a lawyer), and basically it is something I have happily lived with for 6 months. Not a deal-breaker, but glad they're sorting it.

3. ONENOTE
    OneNote, along with many Microsoft offerings, do not work well with BB. However, the truth is that I found I didn't need the multimedia and graphic elements of OneNote, and instead have moved to using 'Tasks' in Outlook/BB Reminder. It all syncs instantly and perfectly, and is actually easier and more effective than OneNote - the reminders part is excellent and syncs with the phone, Outlook, and even old devices like my Playbook. Basically, it forced me and my firm to look at a different way of doing things and as a result I have now changed the way we do things (for the better, I believe).

So, that was the three issues I had in my switch from Windows Phone duly addressed, it is probably worth mentioning how I have found BB10 generally. Basically, and as power user with a lot of experience of other OS's, I think it is amazing. Sure, at the moment some core functions such as things like voice control don't work as well as Siri on the iPhone, there are fewer dedicated apps than all the other 3 OS's, and for consumers it doesn't appear to have the same 'cachet' as other phones or OS's, but it is truly an amazing bit of software - I have never been as efficient or productive as using the Hub (really - the messages, search and keyboard are ace), there are no apps that I want that I cannot download from BlackBerry World or Snap (for Android), and things like the multi-tasking, keyboard, swiping, phone ergonomics and design, camera and music player are, to my mind, leagues ahead of Windows Phone and even Android and iOS too. Quite simply, I am blown away by the job that BlackBerry have done here, and I am genuinely excited by how they are going to continue to make my working life increasingly efficient and enjoyable.

That brings me to the conundrum - not a week currently goes by without someone commenting on my phone and asking "what Android phone" it is or something similar. Legacy OS, though an incredible thing in its own right back in the day, has a lot to answer for for BlackBerry's current predicament, and people are genuinely shocked when they learn that this whizzy, slick, stylish and quick touchscreen phone (emphasis on TOUCHscreen...) is actually a version of that old, clicky-keyboard, slow-to-load phone that they used to be given by work running BBOS 6 or 7 (you and I both know BB10 is not a version of it, but look from the average consumers' point of view and there is little distinction).

Therefore, I am now excited and concerned - excited because I now have the best mobile OS on the planet, and with BB10.3 and devices like the Passport it is just going to better and better. But at the same time I am concerned, because with the best mobile OS on the planet the phones should be selling and word getting out. This just isn't happening fast enough, and BlackBerry need to focus their attention spreading the word not just to the big blue chip corporations or magic circle law firms, but at the core BYOD market, where tens of millions of people in the UK alone have a genuine choice over the phone that they use for their daily grind. It would be the such a shame if something as excellent as BlackBerry's current products disappeared, not because they weren't great, but because people did not know about them.

So, I am now a massive convert and will spread the word as much as I can, and I urge you all to do the same. I can't wait to see what more fun they have up their sleeves for the future!

Thanks all for reading, and for the helpful comments and tips when I first made the change - you helped me a lot.

Neil

Posted via CB10
    manonthemoon likes this.
    08-22-14 09:06 PM
84 ... 234