Hi Chaps,

I try to avoid "radio waves" at night when I sleep. This means that I use to switch off my BB9800 and in the morning the alarm would wake up the phone and ring.

Is this possible with the Z10 ?

Do we really have to keep the phone ON all the time for the alarm to ring ? This is ridiculus... if this is not possible (it seems basic phone feature to me ???), please Blackberry could we have an option to get automatic airplane mode on and off while having bedside mode ? (currently it is a real pain to go to all these menus to set airplane mode on and off).

Maybe am I missing something on how to switch off the phone but keep the alarm ringing in the morning ? If so, thanks for the feedback !

Cheers, Polytan
    03-11-13 05:53 AM
    Okay, first of all, you need to understand that older Blackberries never actually "turned off" when you did that. All they did is pretty much go into airplane mode and pause the OS. The only reason they did that is because bootup time was such a major issue. Since that has been resolved, there is no benefit in doing things that way (that's why not a single other OS does it either). It would just confuse consumers (I turned off my phone, but I have to pull the battery to turn it off?).

The same thing can be achieved by putting your phone in "Airplane Mode" from settings. Yes, I wish there was a shortcut, and I hope that in the future, it will be part of the settings shortcuts, but it isn't for now.

As for your suggestion of turning on airplane mode automatically with bedside mode, I'm pretty sure this will come in a future update. Remember, they rebuilt the whole OS from ground up. It'll take them some time to get every single feature that it took a decade to have on the old OS. Anyways, things are looking good as the latest update already added a feature to bedside mode (ability to have phone calls go through).
    semperfi45 likes this.
    03-11-13 06:13 AM
    Hi Chaps,

I try to avoid "radio waves" at night when I sleep. This means that I use to switch off my BB9800 and in the morning the alarm would wake up the phone and ring.
    I'm curious why you're trying to avoid "radio waves?" Unless you sleep in a faraday cage, you aren't avoiding much of anything.
    bert106 and adjdudley21 like this.
    03-11-13 06:28 AM
    I'm curious why you're trying to avoid "radio waves?" Unless you sleep in a faraday cage, you aren't avoiding much of anything.
    Do not agree that much. Having your phone next to your head while trying to communicate regularly with the cell, is not the best thing to do if you want to live long enough to enjoy your z10.
    Also remember that the strength of the waves reduces with (1/r^4) formula. This means the closer you get to the phone the more you fry your head.

That's why you use hands-free devices and not because you are bored to hold the phone next to your ear.
    03-11-13 06:55 AM
    Do not agree that much. Having your phone next to your head while trying to communicate regularly with the cell, is not the best thing to do if you want to live long enough to enjoy your z10.
    Also remember that the strength of the waves reduces with (1/r^4) formula. This means the closer you get to the phone the more you fry your head.

That's why you use hands-free devices and not because you are bored to hold the phone next to your ear.
    Assuming the OP sleeps with the phone taped to his head and with an ongoing active call, that's a very good point!

At a distance of two feet, in standby, there are likely far greater RF sources than the cell phone. Which is why I'm curious about the OPs motivation for shutting off his phone.
    jesse_h and adjdudley21 like this.
    03-11-13 07:07 AM
    The whole radio waves thing is not even proven. Lol

Anyways, what blackberry should do is make an option for smart tags to change these settings. This would make the phone better for everyone.

Posted from my Z10
    03-11-13 07:13 AM
    As for your suggestion of turning on airplane mode automatically with bedside mode, I'm pretty sure this will come in a future update. Remember, they rebuilt the whole OS from ground up. It'll take them some time to get every single feature that it took a decade to have on the old OS. Anyways, things are looking good as the latest update already added a feature to bedside mode (ability to have phone calls go through).
    YES PLEASE! In case our fellow BB users don't know, the iPhone alarm clocks also can't work if the phone is powered off.

Does everyone keep their Z10 charging overnight in order not to lose power on standby?
    03-11-13 07:38 AM
    I have this neat clock radio alarm, has a big snooze button and everything. Tonight I'm going to unplug it from the wall after i set it, the light from the LED display bothers me.

See the logic now.....

Posted via CB10 from my Z
    03-11-13 07:42 AM
    I charge it at night so i have a full charge in the morning. Stand by battery life is amazing.

Posted from my Z10
    KDB84 likes this.
    03-11-13 08:08 AM
    Thanks for your feedback guys. Sorry Invalid user0510 and BlueShift but I don't really agree with you.

First, if I don't use something, I've always been told to switch it off. Like a lamp if you want. Energy us precious! I agree that it was not fully switched off in previous devices (more like a stand by) but at least, it only keeps the alarm running and in a very minimalistic state. What is the pint of keeping everything else under power if I an gonna sleep for the next 6 hours?

As pointed out, I was also a deep user of automatic wake up, to be sure to sleep up to a certain hour and next to be able to receive call if needed.

And no, I don't leave in a Faraday cage AG night! :-p but as speed quite a long time of my day around computers, phones, mobiles, etc and at night I want to do my best to switch of as many things as possible (including wifi router...) so ad to let my body and brain recover whole I sleep.

Don't take me wrong, I'm a BlackBerry addict and respect the fact that the OS is new, simply I'm pointing out at things which are important (too me) and are missing. This is to avoid the Android and Iphone reviewers bashing.

Hopefully, done bloke from BlackBerry Dev team will speed some time on this great site and website and grab ideas and pont for their to do list!

Posted from my Z10 via CB10.
    03-11-13 01:39 PM
    Assuming the OP sleeps with the phone taped to his head and with an ongoing active call, that's a very good point!

At a distance of two feet, in standby, there are likely far greater RF sources than the cell phone. Which is why I'm curious about the OPs motivation for shutting off his phone.
    The OP should use this !

03-11-13 02:56 PM
    And no, I don't leave in a Faraday cage AG night! :-p but as speed quite a long time of my day around computers, phones, mobiles, etc and at night I want to do my best to switch of as many things as possible (including wifi router...) so ad to let my body and brain recover whole I sleep.
    I'll absolutely concede the point on conserving energy, and good on you for that!

My point though, is that even if you shut off everything you possibly can, there's all kinds of RF seeping in to you while you sleep, be it from broadcast radio, or power lines, or cell towers or the sun, that shutting down a cellphone that isn't in arms reach isn't saving you much, which seemed to be your original concern.
    03-11-13 03:39 PM
    Well, as I (wish) to use my phone as an morning or nap alarm clock, I keep it not too far otherwise it gets me grumpy in the morning

And your point is valid, I cannot switch off everything around me, but as some say, every little helps...

Posted from my Z10 via CB10.
    03-11-13 04:31 PM

Thank you. Please keep in touch, I would really like to know how you will contribute to the statistics....
    (to complete your thought: since other people in the world smoke, maybe I should consider start smoking as well).
    03-12-13 09:33 AM