hi,
    I have Modern Combat 4 on my playbook and i want to run the bar file also on my z10 and it doesn't work..
    has anyone tried that ?
    10-06-13 07:22 PM
    I'm pretty sure you'll need to buy it again.
    10-06-13 08:49 PM
    BB's are funny like that,,, most apps/games need to be bought for each device, unlike other platforms,,, this has been a sticking point for some...
    10-06-13 09:23 PM
    BB's are funny like that,,, most apps/games need to be bought for each device, unlike other platforms,,, this has been a sticking point for some...
    Completely false, on BB10/ PBOS at least. It's entirely up to the dev whether they want to charge per device or not (several examples where you don't have to repurchase apps/games), and follows similar trends on iOS/Android. The app gap is still widely evident, but please don't spread misinformation.

Posted via CB10 on my white Z10 & lovin' it!
    10-06-13 09:35 PM
    Completely false, on BB10/ PBOS at least. It's entirely up to the dev whether they want to charge per device or not (several examples where you don't have to repurchase apps/games), and follows similar trends on iOS/Android. The app gap is still widely evident, but please don't spread misinformation.

not misinformation @ all,,, i've read several threads that address this point...
    Last edited by SEAWARRIOR; 10-07-13 at 05:04 PM.
    10-07-13 04:20 PM
    00stryder is correct. Developers would have to submit an entirely new app for it to charge you again (you're able to submit multiple apps with the same name). Once you pay for an app, it is available to you forever regardless of your device.

Where people are running into issues is where developers have one app for the PlayBook, a separate app for BB10 devices, and possibly a third separate app for BBOS phones. In that case, you would be paying again for each app. One app has nothing to do with the other in the BB World system, even though they have the same name - they would have different Application IDs.
    SEAWARRIOR and 00stryder like this.
    10-07-13 04:28 PM
    BB's are funny like that,,, most apps/games need to be bought for each device platform, unlike other platforms,,, this has been a sticking point for some...
    00stryder is correct. Developers would have to submit an entirely new app for it to charge you again (you're able to submit multiple apps with the same name). Once you pay for an app, it is available to you forever regardless of your device.

Where people are running into issues is where developers have one app for the PlayBook, a separate app for BB10 devices, and possibly a third separate app for BBOS phones. In that case, you would be paying again for each app. One app has nothing to do with the other in the BB World system, even though they have the same name - they would have different Application IDs.
    thaat's what i meant...
    10-07-13 05:07 PM
    i don't recall that in Android it's like that for developers... the same product runs on android regardless for it to be a tablet or a phone..
    why is this so for BB10 ?!
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    10-07-13 07:01 PM
    thaat's what i meant...
    So you're saying if I have two devices, say a Z10 and a Q10, and I download a paid app/game that works on both, that I'll have to pay twice for? In this case you would be right, if I was using two separate BBIDs. If I log in with the same one, I'll get it free on my second device as both are on BB10 (for apps that don't require licenses, that's an entirely different matter and beyond the scope of this discussion).

Now, if I buy an app for my Z10 and then look to see if I can download it on my PlayBook, then that's a different matter - even with the same BBID - as it's technically a different platform. Which, again, is at the discretion of the devs. Case in point: I bought The Bard's Tale on my PlayBook. When I fire up my Z10, it shows up as free. I think the Dark Knight game was the same, but not entirely sure on that.

i don't recall that in Android it's like that for developers... the same product runs on android regardless for it to be a tablet or a phone..
    why is this so for BB10 ?!
    Again, it's purely on a app-by-app basis, and it's the exact same way on iOS. Yes, even though the iPhone and iPad both use iOSx, devs can choose if the handset version is considered different from the tablet version. Many apps on Android also work the same way, though I don't know how prominent it is. Ask anyone with both an Android phone and Android tablet, who buy their apps through the Google Play Store for both devices.

SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    10-07-13 10:48 PM
    At least in android you can install from tablet baxk to phone an the other way around without any issues.. thats not the case for BB10 :-/

using CB Forums mobile app
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    10-08-13 12:05 PM
    At least in android you can install from tablet baxk to phone an the other way around without any issues.. thats not the case for BB10 :-/

using CB Forums mobile app
    Again, purely up to the devs.

10-08-13 01:56 PM

Different device, same os. Different device, NEW os...that's the problem here...get it? 8530 Curve broken, got new one (8530 Curve). OR 8530 Curve upgraded to Z10...that's the difference...Each developer has different options...some of my paid Playbook apps work on my Z10 and are dowloaded from BlackBerry World free the 2nd time, some just ain't free and had to be paid for for each Playbook/Z10.

Trusted Member Genius
    10-08-13 02:13 PM
    Different device, same os. Different device, NEW os...that's the problem here...get it? 8530 Curve broken, got new one (8530 Curve). OR 8530 Curve upgraded to Z10...that's the difference...Each developer has different options...some of my paid Playbook apps work on my Z10 and are dowloaded from BlackBerry World free the 2nd time, some just ain't free and had to be paid for for each Playbook/Z10.

Trusted Member Genius
    Was that meant to quote me? I already understand how this works.
    10-08-13 02:28 PM
    I realize I'm a bit late replying to this thread, lol just thought I'd throw my two cents in.. Modern Combat 3 for Playbook runs fine on the Z10... as does Bard's Tale (though the screen size during the short clips is pretty small).
    11-11-13 11:39 PM