If you are using OFDM in a hypothetical environment and a wifi like system, lets define channel 1 as using subband a,b and c, channel 2 as using c, d, and e and channel 3 using e, f and g?

You have 100 users in an area, do you deploy two channels (1 and 3) that are not overlapping or three channels that are? Note that if you only use 1 and 3 even though nothing overlaps you are also not touching subband d at all, completely missing out on that bandwidth. And if there is interference when all three bands are used, the interfering subbands would drop back to less complex modulation if non interfering bands were not free and if they were free, simply schedule data on those resource blocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I dont claim to be be a wireless guru and you are potentiality more up-to-date with your wireless knowledge. All i know is that if you use a spectrum analyzer such as Ekahau and do a site survey and design deploy a network with channels that interfere with each other, voice and video packets will be dropped based on QoS rules.
    Voice and video utilze UDP in the transport layer and will not attempt to retransmit and lost packets like TCP application such as http traffic. UDP packets are just dropped into the bit bucket which is why people experience 'pings' or 'echoing' on VoIP calls which is caused from exceeding round trip delay rules, or in the case of wireless, cross channel interference. Its like when your on a road trip and your favorite radio station is starting to get noisy... part of it is because your getting out of range, but its also likely that another station in another region is broadcasting within that spectrum and making the station noisy.
    Any real time applications in the IP world can not tolerate any of this which is why channels must be assigned carefully so as to minimize and avoid cross channel interference.
    08-29-13 02:29 AM
    I dont claim to be be a wireless guru and you are potentiality more up-to-date with your wireless knowledge. All i know is that if you use a spectrum analyzer such as Ekahau and do a site survey and design deploy a network with channels that interfere with each other, voice and video packets will be dropped based on QoS rules.
    Voice and video utilze UDP in the transport layer and will not attempt to retransmit and lost packets like TCP application such as http traffic. UDP packets are just dropped into the bit bucket which is why people experience 'pings' or 'echoing' on VoIP calls which is caused from exceeding round trip delay rules, or in the case of wireless, cross channel interference. Its like when your on a road trip and your favorite radio station is starting to get noisy... part of it is because your getting out of range, but its also likely that another station in another region is broadcasting within that spectrum and making the station noisy.
    Any real time applications in the IP world can not tolerate any of this which is why channels must be assigned carefully so as to minimize and avoid cross channel interference.
    This is fine, when you have the luxury of more spectrum available than users to make use of it.

In the cellphone world though, the situation and the goal is a bit different than wifi (and that's why it's not 1:1 comparable, in part).

If you are designing a network for only a few users roaming around a building, why not use non-overlapping spectrum? The network is much more predictable then, but when you have thousands of users (like you would with a cell sector) you are going to want to get as close to the theoretical limit as you can, and probably are going to use overlapping channels to get that - as well as MIMO which is not simply overlapping but directly on top of the other antenna's spectrum.

And now you are drifting from something kinda unlike LTE and HSPA (Wifi) to something really unlike those (FM or AM radio). A user handset in HSPA and LTE report radio conditions back to the tower they are signed in on / attached to via the control channel which can adjust transmit power dynamically as needed (as well as modulation) on a subband level of granularity.

I think we are kind of diverging dramatically from the point of the thread, but keep in mind that particularly in the US on some carriers, LTE is on a single band - pure overlap. It does very well within that constraint though, because that single band is really a large collection of subbands, each powered and modulated independently and as needed (and MIMO even though handset uplink is single antenna - even using the exact same frequencies the bandwidth is increased via multiple spatial layers).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    08-29-13 02:46 AM
    I don't get LTE here because my data plan is only support 3G or H+

I can't turn on my hot spot, is it because I don't get LTE or 4G?

Posted via CB10
    08-29-13 02:57 AM

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't think that the wireless technology available to you would have anything to do with being able to use the hotspot feature on your device.
    Have you properly set up this feature? You will have to create an SSID for your 'hotspot' as well as password etc.
    08-29-13 11:04 AM
    Wow, seems like even the smartest kid with down syndrome has a suggestion for me...
    Please don't pullute CB threads with either your clever witt or your genius suggestions...
    These are unacceptable comments.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-13 11:43 AM
    Giddy up! Thats the kind of info i was looking for. Thanks!
    Welcome!! I try to keep it sweet and simple I am still successfully going 10-12 easy on my battery. Yesterday I had a 3 hour conference call and I still managed to get 8 hours. Now that I have my battery good to go, my entire heart belongs to my Z10 & my husband who pays the bill :P lol

Posted via CB10
    08-29-13 05:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    I am going to go with carrier lock. Some carriers make you pay more to have mobile hot spot regardless if the phone allows. This has nothing to do with 4G/LTE because I was using an iPhone 5 prior to my Z10 & used mobile hot spot all the time.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-13 05:46 PM
    I wouldn't think that the wireless technology available to you would have anything to do with being able to use the hotspot feature on your device.
    Have you properly set up this feature? You will have to create an SSID for your 'hotspot' as well as password etc.
    Yea I don't it,i create a password, ssid etc
    But I don't know I can't connect

Posted via CB10
    08-29-13 05:50 PM
    I am going to go with carrier lock. Some carriers make you pay more to have mobile hot spot regardless if the phone allows. This has nothing to do with 4G/LTE because I was using an iPhone 5 prior to my Z10 & used mobile hot spot all the time.

Posted via CB10
    Aha that's make sense
    So is true because of my carrier
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    08-29-13 05:51 PM
    I've read and even had it explained to me that when any company says "4G", it doesn't necessarily mean it is the same as "LTE". It seems there were no rules when saying that you have 4G service when you really only have something slightly better than 3G. I'm an AT&T customer, and I've been waiting for Long-Term Evolution (LTE) for some time now. I was a bit concerned on why AT&T said that they had "4G" service, but not "4G LTE" service? Well, here's the explanation: Due to the fact that there are no rules set in place in the cell phone industry as of yet, AT&T decided to say that they have "4G" service before anyone else in my area had LTE. To my dismay, they have every right to do this, that because saying that you have 4G service just means that you are faster than 3G, but NOT close to 4G LTE service. So in fact, AT&T's "4G" service is just HSPA+, which is slightly faster than the old 3G service. So if someone says they just have 4G service, it doesn't mean they have LTE service. The speed between HSPA+ and true LTE is light years apart!
    11-01-13 10:38 PM
35 12