Just got my new Z10 last week and can't understand what some people are complaining about - this phone is awesome.

The one hitch I am not sure how to deal with is transferring data from my now-dead Curve 9360 to my Z10. I know it is relatively simple via Link but only with a working phone. Is there anyway I can use backed-up data from BB Desktop Software to upload my Curve data to my Z10 or is there possibly another option? The more info I can recover the better.

Also, my Curve basically just died. Not sure what happend but I am wondering if I may have exposed it to water somehow but not sure. Any suggestions for my Curve - red notification light flashes when it is plugged in to the charger for a bit but that is it. Also, Desktop Software seems to recognize that the phone is plugged in but can't seem to do anything with it - says it can't be synced.

All help/suggestions appreciated.
    geogejost likes this.
    07-29-13 08:17 PM
    Just got my new Z10 last week and can't understand what some people are complaining about - this phone is awesome.

The one hitch I am not sure how to deal with is transferring data from my now-dead Curve 9360 to my Z10. I know it is relatively simple via Link but only with a working phone. Is there anyway I can use backed-up data from BB Desktop Software to upload my Curve data to my Z10 or is there possibly another option? The more info I can recover the better.

Also, my Curve basically just died. Not sure what happend but I am wondering if I may have exposed it to water somehow but not sure. Any suggestions for my Curve - red notification light flashes when it is plugged in to the charger for a bit but that is it. Also, Desktop Software seems to recognize that the phone is plugged in but can't seem to do anything with it - says it can't be synced.

All help/suggestions appreciated.
    Don't know myself but if you go to the help app on the second screen on my Z10 and touch the search button and type transfer data you may find what you want.
    07-29-13 08:31 PM
    I k ow you can restore once via BlackBerry Protect. I've never don't it so I don't know what's involved or what it restores, but it could be worth a try.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 08:53 PM
    If you had your curve backed up with BB protect, on the Z10 , in settings under BB protect there is a "one time option" to restore from a pevious device, I havent tried it but it seems painless enough.

Good luck
    07-29-13 08:55 PM
    I k ow you can restore once via BlackBerry Protect. I've never don't it so I don't know what's involved or what it restores, but it could be worth a try.

Posted via CB10
    ARRRGH, you beat me to it.
    07-29-13 08:56 PM
    I'm a big loser and never did set up BB Protect so that option is unfortunately not available. I don't understand why there wasn't/isn't better synchronicity between Desktop Software and Link - too bad.
    07-29-13 09:18 PM
    For anyone else looking for the same answer this may or may not be useful. Haven't had the opportunity to try it yet but will report back:

If the previous smartphone is not available a backup file can be used
    1. Connect the BlackBerry 10 smartphone to the computer using the USB cable.
    2. At the bottom of the BlackBerry Link screen, press the up arrow to the right of the name of the new BlackBerry smartphone.
    3. Select Restore > Restore from backup file > Legacy Device Backup Files.
    4. Select the desired backup file.
    5. Place a checkmark next to the data to restore to the BlackBerry 10 smartphone. To restore all supported data, place a checkmark next to Restore all data.
    Note: For a description of the BlackBerry smartphone databases, refer to KB03974.
    6. Press Restore.
    Ozoro likes this.
    07-30-13 01:23 PM
    For anyone else looking for the same answer this may or may not be useful. Haven't had the opportunity to try it yet but will report back:

If the previous smartphone is not available a backup file can be used
    1. Connect the BlackBerry 10 smartphone to the computer using the USB cable.
    2. At the bottom of the BlackBerry Link screen, press the up arrow to the right of the name of the new BlackBerry smartphone.
    3. Select Restore > Restore from backup file > Legacy Device Backup Files.
    4. Select the desired backup file.
    5. Place a checkmark next to the data to restore to the BlackBerry 10 smartphone. To restore all supported data, place a checkmark next to Restore all data.
    Note: For a description of the BlackBerry smartphone databases, refer to KB03974.
    6. Press Restore.
    Awesome answer...does this mean that devices below OS5 can be transferred also using the same procedure; basically taking the data saved on the computer rather than the old device. Am I making sense?
    07-30-13 02:32 PM
    Still haven't havent done it but I did get so far as connecting with link and it appears to detect prior backups (presumably from BlackBerry desktop software) on the computer. Need to get home to my desktop with latest backup before completing procedure.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-13 05:46 PM
    Also not sure re prior to BlackBerry os 5.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-13 05:47 PM
    Still haven't havent done it but I did get so far as connecting with link and it appears to detect prior backups (presumably from BlackBerry desktop software) on the computer. Need to get home to my desktop with latest backup before completing procedure.

Posted via CB10
    Good luck!

XX-Fingers Crossed-XX
    sjwpenney likes this.
    07-30-13 05:57 PM
    You shoudl be able to restore from a previous backup using Link as mentioned above. If Link doesnt recognize the backup file, you can try ElcomSoft Password Recovery for BB. Search on Google - I have used it to extract email,phone logs, text and other data from old backups when other methods have failed - it works well.
    Forgot to mention that you can extract from backup but cannot restore the information to another device. But atleast you don't lose the data
    sjwpenney likes this.
    07-30-13 05:59 PM
    Finally did the backup as per the instructions above. Worked like a charm and you can be incredibly specific as to which sets of data you want to 'restore' rather than taking the whole kit and caboodle of crap on your old bb. Link seems to be a great piece of software for me so far.
    07-31-13 08:12 AM
    Did this get done? I just did it at my provided.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 08:40 AM
    Finally did the backup as per the instructions above. Worked like a charm and you can be incredibly specific as to which sets of data you want to 'restore' rather than taking the whole kit and caboodle of crap on your old bb. Link seems to be a great piece of software for me so far.
    missed this. Nice to hear.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 08:41 AM