.......that the new phone will not have charging contacts like the 9900. (If the new pics are the real phone that is)
    I love this feature of the 9900. I go to bed after my wife with the lights off and try to be as quiet as possible. Its so easy to put it in the cradle and get it into bedside mode.
    A cradle relying on the USB will be more cumbersome and could wear and break faster IMO.
    Anyways, those are my thoughts.
    Prob still gonna get it though.
    12-12-12 10:52 AM
    My 9800 has no cotacts. I've been plugging mine in every night for 2 years. The micro usb seems to be more durable than the mini usb on my old 8100 - which started to loosen up real quick.
    12-12-12 11:08 AM
    My 9800 has no cotacts. I've been plugging mine in every night for 2 years. The micro usb seems to be more durable than the mini usb on my old 8100 - which started to loosen up real quick.
    Microusb was improved to allow up to 10X the durability in terms of how many times you can plug it in. I too had a torch with a cradle for awhile and I had no issues with plugging it in. If anything, it was more secure than my 9900 cradle.
    12-12-12 11:12 AM
    can you get it in without seeing? I do this in darkness coming from a well lit room.
    There is a small green LED on it that guides me to it.
    12-12-12 11:13 AM
    You never know, it might have inductive charging. No wires...
    djenkins6 likes this.
    12-12-12 11:16 AM

You never know, it might have inductive charging. No wires...
    very true, and that would be cool but would it make a good bedside clock charging like that?
    12-12-12 11:21 AM
    I am also a little disappointed due to the rumours of the back textured cover being plastic. I am really hoping for a hardened rubber type back. Or something that feels like you're holding the next best piece of technology. I was using a friends S3 the other day and it just feels cheap with all the plastic. I saw someone on here use this comparison and I agree; RIM needs this device to be a 7 Series Beemer, AMG Mercedes, Aston Martin DB9, etc, not a Kia, Toyota, Ford. Im hoping Jan 30 is like a second Christmas on the hardware front.
    12-12-12 11:34 AM
    it will probably feel like hardened rubber. They also have to consider the nfc antenna and choose a material that won't block the signal.
    peter9477 likes this.
    12-12-12 11:42 AM
    can you get it in without seeing? I do this in darkness coming from a well lit room.
    Yes, I do it in the dark all the time. The 9810 cradle has a faint light, and you just drop it in and push down gently.
    12-12-12 12:08 PM
    The landscape cradle is by no means inferior to the 9900 style one, they make it very ergonomic.

And you guys know the back is not going to feel like cheap plastic. Think about the Torch 9800, it has a nice rubber texture on the back....so do you really think RIM would ship their savior phone with a $hitty cheap plastic back? Use your head...
    SK122387 likes this.
    12-12-12 12:20 PM
    good to hear guys. Now just a tiny fraction disappointed
    go bb10
    12-12-12 12:32 PM
    .......that the new phone will not have charging contacts like the 9900. (If the new pics are the real phone that is)
    I love this feature of the 9900. I go to bed after my wife with the lights off and try to be as quiet as possible. Its so easy to put it in the cradle and get it into bedside mode.
    A cradle relying on the USB will be more cumbersome and could wear and break faster IMO.
    Anyways, those are my thoughts.
    Prob still gonna get it though.
    I agree with you on this, if the N series has them it will greatly influence my choice.
    12-12-12 02:26 PM
    I've used both the 9800 and the 9900 with cradles. While the 9800 cradle was good, there was just that slight extra effort to make sure the USB plug was seating. To be able to just drop the 9900 in is kind of cool. Not vastly different experiences, but there definitely IS a difference. I use it a lot, too. I've got cradles on both my desk at work and on my bedside table (I use my 9900 as my alarm clock, too). TBH, "Bedside Mode" is one of my favorite BB features, and the charging contacts improve that experience.

I don't really like inductive charging as a concept; it wastes a lot of power. Personally, yes, I actually would prefer charging contacts on the bottom. Not a dealbreaker, but I have to admit it makes a difference.
    jimpilot likes this.
    12-12-12 02:36 PM
    Ahmmm I can get it in with my eyes closed without half trying. But I gotta admit, I'm intrigued about yours with the green LED...sounds awesome. I'm still on Wife 1.0...it only came with a lil fur around the port. Which version is yours?
    jstarett and nano404 like this.
    12-12-12 02:59 PM
    In all seriousness tho...the cradle I had for my Curve 8330 was my favorite (P/N: HDW-22385-001). In fact, it worked with my Tour 9630 also...and I was very pleased with it. It has a nice curvature to it, and although the phone could be dislodged very easily if it was in a busy location...I'd love to have one like that for my 9930. The only ones I see available now are very angular...not aesthetically pleasing at all imo, but I still prefer a dock/cradle vs. simply laying my phone down.
    12-12-12 03:04 PM
    ^^ LOL head.in.gutter
    Ray UM likes this.
    12-12-12 03:42 PM
    Looks like inductive charging to me in the pictures which is GREAT. I hope its not just an antenna thing.
    anon(4018671) likes this.
    12-12-12 04:35 PM
    so far only seen Dev models, 3 pin charging wouldn't be to bad.
    12-12-12 04:56 PM
    Looks like inductive charging to me in the pictures which is GREAT. I hope its not just an antenna thing.
    i`d lay fair money your looking at the nfc contacts.

i have a 9900 and a charging stand, and i use it a fair bit now, but when i used a case all the time i never used it due to the hassle. so id say from the fact most people use cases now, a stand would be cool but not for `the masses` anymore maybe.
    Ray UM likes this.
    12-12-12 04:57 PM
    i`d lay fair money your looking at the nfc contacts.

i have a 9900 and a charging stand, and i use it a fair bit now, but when i used a case all the time i never used it due to the hassle. so id say from the fact most people use cases now, a stand would be cool but not for `the masses` anymore maybe.
    I really hope it is inductive charging.
    12-12-12 06:17 PM
    I really hope it is inductive charging.
    What would actually be INSANELY cool would be if RIM figured out how to integrate inductive charging and NFC with the same wiring
    00stryder likes this.
    12-12-12 06:21 PM
    I think you're right on the money. Maybe thats why the BB logo is where it is (center), it would be easier to line up the antennas. Just a guess though

EDIT: Here is a pic from the Google Nexus 4, looks like they had to put the logo in the center of the antenna.
    a little disapointed....-google-lg-nexus-4-teardown-small.jpg
    Last edited by dentynefire; 12-12-12 at 07:20 PM.
    12-12-12 07:06 PM
    Since the Samsung Galaxy phones have the NFC antenna in the battery, maybe RIM has gone that route and this is for NFC.
    12-12-12 09:21 PM
    I find the charging dock for the Bold 99xx awkward. I have to "mess" with the phone to get it sitting just right until the contacts are both touching. I end up just plugging in the micro USB.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-13-12 02:28 AM
    I find the charging dock for the Bold 99xx awkward. I have to "mess" with the phone to get it sitting just right until the contacts are both touching. I end up just plugging in the micro USB.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    I agree, the original dock is useless but for about $7 you can get an alternative on eBay that is deeper and holds the phone securely.

blackberry bold 9900 charging pod in Chargers & Cradles | eBay
    12-13-12 07:01 AM
31 12