(Literally) Step-by-Step review of the Seidio ACTIVE Combo Case & Holster
02-06-14 02:07 AM
- I ordered the Seidio Active Combo directly from Seidio for the BB Z10 on Wednesday, March 27, 2013. The only color option,was black, which I don't mind. The website states more colors are coming soon. The price with shipping came to $62.50. The breakbown of the cost is $54.95 + $7.55 = $62.95.
I received my shipping notice later that evening. I chose the Fed Ex Express Saver 3-day shipping option. the shipping notice states I will receive my package on April 1, 2013. I will let you know when I receive my package and share my views at that that time.03-28-13 05:06 AM
- Part 1
Ok. Here it goes! My review of the Seidio ACTIVE Combo. It arrived on time. It comes in nice red boxes with simple instruction on cardboard cards. There was small plastic bags wrapping the items. The rest was recyclable. Now, to the the steps of the review.
The pieces are 1) polymer-based soft shell for protection, 2) hard, but flexible skeleton that wraps around the soft case, 3) the holster.
The Z10 easily inserts into the soft case. It's almost slippery. I would feel comfortable carrying it around in the soft case alone. It doesn't interfere with any of the ports, buttons or outlets.
As you can see, the ports, camera/flash, mics, etc., are not disrupted.
Now, place the skeleton onto the soft case. The corners are the easiest, from my perspective. The skeleton slides nicely on the soft case. A benefit of the slippery feel of the soft case. You'll notice, and I didn't take a pic of it, the sides are not seated, properly. The part of the soft case that accommodates the ports and buttons tends to be 'floppy'. If you push the soft case, so as to tuck the soft case under the skeleton, it will seat. Beware: if your screen is active you will be doing many unintentional things as you tuck it in.
As you you'll see, the frame is an essential part of the case. It secures the soft case to the phone and increases the integrity of the case, exponentially. It now feels like a case.04-02-13 12:34 PMLike 1
- Part 2
The holster is a very nice holster, for those who prefer holsters. The holster locks the phone in nicely and without any issues. The lock for the phone is spring-loaded and also has a tapered face to allow the phone to be pushed into place with one action. Also, with the spring-loaded clip, you don't have to fight to get the phone out of the holster. The actuation gives plenty of room to unholster the phone, but tight enough to keep the phone secure.
The belt clip is, at its deepest points, approximately 1 3/4". Large enough to accommodate most belt. It is also spring-loaded. It has 7 positions and turns 180. Its a tight build. It may wear over time and become loose, but it's not right now. The clip has a hook at the bottom to ensure it will snag whatever it must to stay in place. It's not like some of the metal one which tend to be just sliders. Ya know! The one's where you untuck your shirt and it flies to wherever it may go (I've never had mine fall into the toilet doing that).
The holster doesn't interfere with the ports, buttons, mics, etc., either.
And as an added bonus, there's a magnetic kickstand for your tabletop pleasures!
Overall, I found this case to be an excellent choice for those who don't want the added bulk of, say, an Otterbox. Great case, but huge! This case doesn't interfere with any of the Z10's operations. The sides may be a bit close for some. I hit the sides a bit when I swipe sideways. But the soft case isn't right on the edge of the screen. There is 1/8" from the edge of the screen to the soft case. My Seidio case was only available in black. My wife likes the case too. She's getting hers in red.
This wraps up my review of the Seidio ACTIVE Combo case & holster. If you think I've missed something, which I'm sure I have, let me know. I'll see what I can do to add or fix whatever might be an issue.04-02-13 12:47 PMLike 2
- So now that you've had your Z10 in this case for quite some time, how are you liking it?
I have the Incipio DualPro, and initially, I loved it. Now that I've had it for a month, I like it, but I have developed a dislike for the area over the port and volume keys. The silicone is pretty flimsy on these areas, and in the bottom left hand corner of the silicone case (When looking at the screen) tends to works its way out of the shell case.
Are you experiencing anything like this with the Active case? I may still opt for the Surface now that I've had this case for a while. Today, I found a case at a Verizon store that seems very similar to this Active case. I put it on my Z10, and I wasn't impressed with the silicone case on there either. too much movement for my liking. I may go with the Surface and/or the Ovrmld from Incipio.04-30-13 07:22 PM
- I have used the Seidio ACTIVE Case with Holster, Incipio OVRMLD case with Holster, and the Incipio DualPro Hard Case. I did not like the Incipio DualPro for the same reasons stated above, the flimsy silicon strip around the power port drove me crazy. I liked the Incipio OVRMLD case but the holster is horrible the phone stays in by friction instead of a clip, trying to get the phone in or out of the holster is slow and difficult. There is also no magnet in this holster. It got to the point where a would not use the holster. The Seidio active case is definitely my favorite the case gives good protection while being easy to handle and the holster is easy to get in and out of while still being secure. This holster also has a magnet.04-30-13 09:39 PM
- UPDATED INFO: I've had my case for 10 mos now. I still love it. I think it's the best one for the Z10. I even bought a white one for the panda look. I can use the whole screen without any issues. I've dropped it once onto concrete from my hip. No damage, whatsoever. I think I clipped the holster to my shirt because it did the tried and true untuck your shirt and watch your phone test gravity. It happened one time only. I have found that you can place the phone in the holster kittywampus if you're not careful. A bit frustrating when you're in a rush and try and grab your phone or putting it away.
Another thing I have found, is that the spring for the clip is strong enough to push the power button. It's put the phone into sleep numerous times when I've put it away. The rubber soft shell is still pliable and not breaking down. It's feels a little slicker and not as 'grippy' as when I first bought it. Bit it's not sliding out of my hand despite the hours I've had it in my hands since I bought the set. My wife has the same case but no holster. Hers is in her purse. It has held up just as well and she has had no complaints.
My suggestion for any improvements/changes would be to add more colors. Some vibrant colors would be cool. Or even translucent. To be able to see the BB insignia would be awesome! Also, maybe add some port covers that would keep the majority of unwanted stuff from the phone. With my Bodyguardz screen protector, everything is well protected other than the ports. The only other thing I would love to alter is the kickstand. To be able to stand it up vertically would be awesome, as well! Other than that, this the best case that I've ever owned! Seriously! My others have fallen apart after 5-6 mos or less. If I took my case and screen protector off, I can guarantee that it would look out of the box fresh. Maybe I'll do that and post some pics.02-06-14 02:07 AM
- BlackBerry 10 Phones & OS
- BlackBerry Z10
(Literally) Step-by-Step review of the Seidio ACTIVE Combo Case & Holster
- By eve6er69 in forum Accessory ReviewsReplies: 11Last Post: 08-16-12, 11:04 PM
- By churchill6969 in forum Accessory ReviewsReplies: 6Last Post: 11-24-09, 07:01 AM
- By dreadpiratejeff in forum BBOS Phone AccessoriesReplies: 7Last Post: 11-16-09, 11:36 PM
- By Sensesfail99 in forum General BlackBerry DiscussionReplies: 1Last Post: 06-23-08, 02:50 AM
- By Sensesfail99 in forum BBOS Phone AccessoriesReplies: 1Last Post: 06-23-08, 02:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD