Is it okay to let the z10 battery go completely empty? I remember reading something that its not good for the phone but wasn't sure.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using CB Forums mobile app
    03-17-14 11:44 PM
    I'm not sure that completely running it down to Zero is good as a regular routine. I'm sure that there will be citations to articles on such practices posted. I just did it to mine yesterday but accidentally. I had it hooked up to TV and was watching a program. It did warn me at 10% but I lost track and then got the prompt - turning off and off it went!!! I had to plug it in and recharge for a while before it would reboot and restart.
    03-18-14 12:00 AM
    Completely empty is not a good idea for lithium ion batteries. You can let it almost fully discharge before recharging, but don't let it go empty.
    03-18-14 12:05 AM
    ...is a bad idea.

you dont want to get it below 0% because then it may end up killing the chemistry that gives you the batteries ability to hold a charge.

best is to just recharge it when its sub 25% and disconnect it when its at 100%.

if storing the battery for long term, it's best to charge it to 50% at most.
    03-18-14 12:15 AM
    Never run phone batteries down to zero.

Posted via Z10
    03-18-14 01:19 AM
    Your phone will never drain the battery to zero. Under voltage lockout is portable power design 101.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undervoltage-lockout

I've designed many a lockout in hardware, but phones do it in a combination of hardware and software. The system on a chip has an analog to digital converter, which they use to monitor the battery. They also do "coulomb counting "as part of the fuel gage.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_charge

Note that early MS Windows phones were notorious for phone bricking due to a failure to lock out the battery. BlackBerry isn't that stupid. Even Apple didn't screw up like that, and generally Apple is pretty stupid when it comes to hardware design, at least power management.

But getting back to draining the battery, you SHOULD drain it to a very low level, somewhere under 10%. This will help the fuel gage algorithm, which means you will be able to go longer on a charge.

I will say that using more complete cycles on a lithium ion battery will wear it out a bit faster, but you have to do very shallow cycles in order to get the maximum life out of a battery. Something like 30% to 70%. But for a battery that costs about $15, battery life does not matter that much. I have three batteries for my z10. I want to make sure I can do a cross country trip and have a spare fresh battery when I deplane.

Posted via CB10
    Umass021 likes this.
    03-18-14 02:33 AM