It's no secret that lots of z10 owners have been experiencing crazy data usage. For men my consumption was 400mb/mo on my previous android. On the z10 I'm close to breaching my 1.5gb free allowance with the same level of usage.

I suspect that this is being caused by an app (either third party or one of blackberrys own apps). So all of you who have this problem please list the apps you have an hopefully we can find a commonality.

Mine are:
    Social: LI, twitter (have deleted fb to see if it saves data)
    Streaming: nobex (wifi only downloads enabled)
    Storage: box, Dropbox (wifi only sync on)
    Games: angry birds star wars, motorcycle diaries, Simon plus, pokemon tower,
    Bx battery info
    MX tube map
    The economist
    Whatsapp
    Easy light
    Piano
    Cb10
    Wallpapers hd+
    Cooklet
    Gaana
    Auto express (just changed updates to manual and turned off offline mode... this may be the culprit if it's downloading all content)
    Deezer
    Proreader
    Zara
    Free wallpaper
    Cricbuzz
    Waze
    St John's ambulance
    Foursquare
    Bus london
    Zomato
    Easyjet
    Menmonia
    Event seekr

So are any of these ones that you have as well?

Has anyone already tried changing auto express settings and did it work?

Had anyone deleted Facebook app and has this helped?

Let's get to the bottom of this.

BTW - typed all of this on my z10. Bb10 typing and multi tasking is sweet.

Posted via CB10
    dcburke789 and geogejost like this.
    04-05-13 03:52 PM
    I actually had 15gigs usage not too long ago thanks to my messed up friend. It's the most out of any crackberry user in a long time. Good thing I have unlimited.

Posted via CB10 (BB Z10 : BLK)
    04-05-13 03:54 PM
    Not having this issue. Who is your carrier?
    04-05-13 03:54 PM
    You have lost data compression on the z10

Your legacy device had 2x compression on browsing and apps and 20x compression on email and attachments.

This is the likely cause for your excess data use.
    So your ten Meg email attachment counts as ten Meg, not 1/2 a Meg
    And since the browser loads much more than the legacy browser, Visiting the same sites uses more than double the data.

Hope this helps. I had to go from a 1 g plan to a 3 g.
    04-05-13 03:59 PM
    You have lost data compression on the z10

Your legacy device had 2x compression on browsing and apps and 20x compression on email and attachments.

This is the likely cause for your excess data use.
    So your ten Meg email attachment counts as ten Meg, not 1/2 a Meg
    And since the browser loads much more than the legacy browser, Visiting the same sites uses more than double the data.

Hope this helps. I had to go from a 1 g plan to a 3 g.
    He said his old data is with Android so data compression does not come into play here

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    stabstabdie likes this.
    04-05-13 04:04 PM
    Thank you dwane... everyone first points to compression but I am not comparing it with an old bb!!

I'm on orange EE.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-13 04:07 PM
    I don't seem to have this issue...I'm usually on wifi, but even so, I've only used less than 2mb of data on the AT&T network over the last 5 days...231mb over wifi during the same period. So my phone appears to be properly using the networks...
    04-05-13 04:11 PM
    I think its the bbm, crackberry, fb, twitter, and browsing.

If those apps are running in background 27/7, those could be the cause. Android kills the app if its not being used and updates when opened.

If not, maybe there's some BS happening with your carrier.

Just my opinion.

Posted via BlackBerry z10 (CB)
    04-05-13 04:14 PM
    Sorry but I'm not seeing this problem. Does the Z10 use more data than previous BlackBerry handsets? Yes.
    Does to use excessive amounts if data when compared with other ActiveSync type devices. I don't think so.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    04-05-13 04:22 PM
    Take a look at Deezer. On the Orange FB pages folks are saying it runs away with their data no matter what make of phone. Worth considering.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-13 04:26 PM
    It's no secret that lots of z10 owners have been experiencing crazy data usage. For men my consumption was 400mb/mo on my previous android. On the z10 I'm close to breaching my 1.5gb free allowance with the same level of usage.

I suspect that this is being caused by an app (either third party or one of blackberrys own apps). So all of you who have this problem please list the apps you have an hopefully we can find a commonality.
    I do see people having this problem... but if it was with BB apps then it would be EVERYONE with the same problem, which is not the case. So we can rule out the BB apps.

Mine are:
    Social: LI, twitter (have deleted fb to see if it saves data)
    Streaming: nobex (wifi only downloads enabled)
    Storage: box, Dropbox (wifi only sync on)
    Games: angry birds star wars, motorcycle diaries, Simon plus, pokemon tower,
    Bx battery info
    MX tube map
    The economist
    Whatsapp
    Easy light
    Piano
    Cb10
    Wallpapers hd+
    Cooklet
    Gaana
    Auto express (just changed updates to manual and turned off offline mode... this may be the culprit if it's downloading all content)
    Deezer
    Proreader
    Zara
    Free wallpaper
    Cricbuzz
    Waze
    St John's ambulance

Foursquare
    Bus london
    Zomato
    Easyjet
    Menmonia
    Event seekr

So are any of these ones that you have as well?

Has anyone already tried changing auto express settings and did it work?

Had anyone deleted Facebook app and has this helped?

Let's get to the bottom of this.

BTW - typed all of this on my z10. Bb10 typing and multi tasking is sweet. DAMN STRAIGHT!

Posted via CB10
    I have the BOLDED apps and AM NOT having data problems. I realized that I had a lot of data consumption my first two days (2gb) but then I realized it was because while i was switching all the setting and playing around with my new toy i turned ON network syncing for dropbox and pinned a folder with 2gb of files. Needless to say that I fixed the problem and only had just under 1gb (so 3gb total) for the rest of the month. I have a 6gb plan and will use my phone a lot if it is needed, but I was hitting 3 or 4 gb on my iphone no problem... not so with my Z10.

EDIT: My billing cycle ends tomorrow and I have 1.5gb (exactly) for this month. Again, I know I have a 6gb plan so I allow anyone that wants to watch videos on my phone instead of theirs, and I also stream music over 4G when im to lazy to switch to wifi lol. I also do a lot of website updating on my phone and because it is a new system i dont know how much that has to do with data consumption. but i think that 1.5gb for the amount of usage I do is pretty good. I would easily have 3gb or more with my iphone (which is why i switched to 6gb in the first place just to be safe)
    04-05-13 04:27 PM
    I've had a couple 2-300meg days but totally my fault as I was downloading apps and streaming 4 hours of slacker at best quality. Even with those days I have only used 1.3gigs in the last 4 weeks.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-13 04:35 PM
    Maybe the fact that you have been downloading a ton of apps. Some of them might be pretty big file sizes.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-13 04:39 PM
    Weren't some saying they had an email sending multiple times? If it would happen to be one with a larger attachment that can add up.
    04-05-13 04:39 PM
    I used my data lightly last month and used 850 mbs. And this month I'm goin hard on the data. Still don't think I'll be over 1.5 gbs. I'm on rogers here in Canada and I can check my data daily to see how much I have used. Also I belive there is an app or two you can buy to track your data. Try downloading that and delete an app a time and see if you can spot a difference

Posted via CB10
    04-05-13 04:41 PM
    If you can live without your apps for a while, restart the device and start using one or two 3rd party app per day. Check your data usage every day to narrow it down to the one using your data. That should tell you what is using your data up. Then you can decide if the app is worth using or if there is some update that will fix the issue. It could be multiple apps.
    04-05-13 04:47 PM
    He said his old data is with Android so data compression does not come into play here

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    You're right! I missed that! My bad.
    Thanks for pointing that out!
    04-05-13 04:48 PM
    Did you by any chance download all those apps of cellular. So far I've been averaging about 250 megs a day. I have unlimited and haven't used wifi yet just trying to see what my data usage would be.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-13 04:50 PM
    What data issue non here posted numerous times about it.

Make sure u not have download updates over mobile only as that will chew data for sure.

Make sure any apps are not updating over mobile that will chew up data too.

Today my usage on mobile is 491mb total since March 16th my renew date, and last night was 401mb, so today I used 90mb of data wowwwww so huge eh? I browsed here and there and used cb app and emails updated every 15-30 min from crackberry every time someone posted to a thread I posted in, that's like at least 200 emails so far today.

Wowwwww so much data being used lol

This was similar to my galaxy S3 and iphone 4.

So either ppl not listening to ppl like myself or u have a data leak somewhere on an app or u carrier us the issue, but it sure as **** ain't the z10.

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    04-05-13 04:57 PM
    As I have put in this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...09/index3.html I am experiencing high data usage. I had 2 high data spikes this morning - the 1st when I turned the phone on (it apparently downloaded the data before picking up the WiFi at home) of about 6.8MB, and then when I was travelling to work of 9.9MB - which appeared to happen over a 11 second period.

For the rest of the day I was on WiFi at work then travelled home browsing the mobile internet - where in total I only used a further 1Mb.

I certainly think there is an App that is causing the problem.

The non-standard ones I have are:

• StarTracker
    • Paper Pusher Scanner
    • CalendarSync
    • Ebay
    • BlackBerry Travel

I do have my work (Exchange) e-mail synced to it. I also use FaceBook, Twitter and LinkedIn.

Originally I though my consumption may have been to too frequent calendar/e-mail syncs - but I altered these the day before yesterday (before I noticed the data spikes this morning).

I was wondering if it was BlackBerry Travel - but I note vjvj doesn't have this.

Oh yeah - my carrier is EE.
    Last edited by KevinSlegg; 04-05-13 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Added Carrier
    04-05-13 05:08 PM
    I'm on Orange EE too and got a shock with my first months data usage so have been on wifi since and 3 weeks into this billing cycle I am already nearing my 1gb limit. I have deezer too as a swapable on my contract and its not supposed to come out of monthly data usage as it is a contract 'perk'.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-13 05:09 PM
    I have used close to 3gb this month and was also suprised about how high it was. That being said, i never bothered turning on wifi for anything as i never usually come close to using that much data in a month. Since then i have been using mostly wifi and made a few changes to some of my apps and my data has not gone up by much. My billing cycle resets on the 8th so i will pay more attention to what seems to use up most of my data.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-13 05:26 PM
    Hmm not sure yet why some ppl see this happening unless it's carrier spikes of data being sent or an app sending data over mobile or updates over mobile.

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    04-05-13 05:39 PM
    There is no problem stop waffling this is a end user problem not the z10's hardware or software.

Posted on CB10 via Z10
    04-05-13 05:41 PM
    There is no problem stop waffling this is a end user problem not the z10's hardware or software.

Posted on CB10 via Z10
    Thanks for that insightful post - very helpful.

Perhaps you could explain what I, as an end user, are doing wrong?
    04-05-13 05:49 PM
162 123 ...