Only problem I have with the Z10 HDR is it doesn't do a great job at de-ghosting, so any movement between frames look funky. However, if you opt to keep a single exposure plus the HDR you're covered.
    07-30-13 05:40 AM
    The problem is that it has to capture multiple frames to do this in succession, and if the subject is moving you get blurred motion -- not because the shutter speed is too low but because the subject(s) moved between successive exposures. There's nothing you can do to prevent that from happening in a HDR exposure.
    Great points! Speaking to this one directly though, I find that cellphone simply don't lend themselves easily to the steadiness you need to take three consecutive frames and have them aligned identically. By nature you have to hold the phone away from your body. Regardless of how still the scene is, unless you have plenty of light there's going to be motion blur. Most bracketed exposures I've taken to do HDR landscapes involve a tripod, a lot of setup time and a great deal of patience.
    07-30-13 05:54 AM
    MR is maintenance release. It's a leak

Posted via CB10
    The MR is not a leak

Swoosh... swiped from my Z10
    07-30-13 07:23 AM
    The MR is not a leak

Swoosh... swiped from my Z10
    It was before. Now it's an official release but there are still a few mr's that are currently leaks

Posted via CB10
    07-30-13 07:25 AM
    Attachment 186765
    Attachment 186766

See a difference? Even with my shaky hands, it looks acceptable. Definitely does not suck.

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    oooooo a fellow Houstonian !!!
    07-30-13 07:38 AM
    Great points! Speaking to this one directly though, I find that cellphone simply don't lend themselves easily to the steadiness you need to take three consecutive frames and have them aligned identically. By nature you have to hold the phone away from your body. Regardless of how still the scene is, unless you have plenty of light there's going to be motion blur. Most bracketed exposures I've taken to do HDR landscapes involve a tripod, a lot of setup time and a great deal of patience.
    I've found HDR pretty much useless unless I am able to brace the Z10 against something firm to take the picture. If I can do that, I get pretty good results.
    07-30-13 08:15 AM
    And keep in mind in "settings" you can optionally have HDR shots include a Normal shot so you can choose between the two.
    laketrout73 likes this.
    07-30-13 08:33 AM
    Yeah for me, I have no desire or need to ever use HDR. It's hard enough to get a picture of my 4 year old and 16 month old together. Time shift has made this wayy easier. Maybe if I'm trying to get an artsy still photo I could slap HDR on, but most of the time I'm trying to capture that fleeting moment.
    07-30-13 08:52 AM
    After reading this thread, it seems like many people, especially the OP, don't know when to use HDR.

1) Don't take HDR pictures when you're taking pictures of people
    2) Don't take HDR pictures of any moving objects
    3) Don't use HDR if lighting is fine
    4) Put your phone (or camera) on something so it doesn't shake
    laketrout73 and jstirtzinger like this.
    07-30-13 08:52 AM
    After reading this thread, it seems like many people, especially the OP, don't know when to use HDR.
    It's kind of a gimmick to begin with, right? To be honest when I first saw people doing HDR I thought, hm, that's neat. Then all of the sudden camera phones started having it as a shooting option and I just thought about all the cases where HDR is just not the right thing to use. It's the new lens flare.
    sk8er_tor and jh07 like this.
    07-30-13 08:55 AM
    I've noticed that the HDR setting on iPhone is not always on. If it is not ideal photo (subject moving) it takes a regular photo with little difference. My Q10 on the other hand will take an HDR photo. So it is not always on as some do with their iPhones as if it is actually doing anything half the time. Took the picture at grenadier pond in High Park Toronto. My girlfriend took the same picture (at my request with HDR on) and we both said mine looked better. I don't have her version but I'll ask for it. Here's mine for now.

Let's Face it The HDR is Garbage (till you learn how to use it)-img_00000644_hdr.jpg

So you know I didn't have anything to brace against standing at the edge of the pond nor is this a pro camera so what more do you want?
    lactose and jstirtzinger like this.
    07-30-13 09:11 AM
    I think a lot of people see HD and are like OMG HDR MUST BE AMAZING and then get disappointed when they realize they have no idea what it does. High Dynamic Range not High Definition Recording or what ever some people seem to think it is...

Basically if something is well lit or moving, normal/automatic works great! If you have a still scene with lots or different lighting levels go HDR.
    07-30-13 09:27 AM
    I disagree that the camera is garbage. This pic was taken this morning from my drive of the sunrise. Maybe I'm crazy, but it looks pretty good to me. Nothing has been done to enhance the picture.

Let's Face it The HDR is Garbage (till you learn how to use it)-img_00000149_hdr.jpg

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    laketrout73 and R Field like this.
    07-30-13 10:04 AM
    If you don't already know HDR stands for high dynamic range, it takes 6 pictures at different ISO and puts it into one to make the image look better. I was taking pictures of trees as they blowing in the wind, the pictures look ask if they were being thrown around at 500 mph. You cannot compare the iPhone and the BlackBerry's HDR. It's simply garbage. At 50% crop the images look like it's our of an 8-bit computer screen lol... I hope this will all change with the 10.1 MR and or the 10.2
    Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    Part of my job involves photography and in a previous life in the UK I was a professional photographer. Despite working mostly in film I use digital often enough to be familiar with how things work, or are at least are meant to. HDR is a godsend to low light stationary digital photography, everyone here seems to have a reasonable idea how it works so I won't go there, but you're not going to get the results you're looking for unless it's used under the conditions it's intended for. Moving trees in daylight is not one of those conditions, you'll get 6 different images interloped with 6 different exposures, 6 different ISO settings and 6 different focal planes, the results are bound to be awful. A dimly lit room with still objects where flash can't be used for what ever reason is one ideal situation, there are many others where the use of HDR is preferable to regular exposure, where the results will be far clearer and sharper. As with a lot of things in life it takes practise and a little patience to figure it all out.
    kevets and laketrout73 like this.
    07-30-13 10:38 AM
    Honestly the HDR on BlackBerry is sometimes awesome and sometimes garbage!

Posted via CB10 Z10 STL 100-01, OS 10.1, Etisalat, UAE
    07-30-13 10:54 AM
    90% of the time you take a photo with HDR, it will come out blury.. dont matter how straight u hold the camera...
    HDR is junk... a lot of people r going to say otherwise, but thats just typical in a blackberry forum
    07-30-13 10:57 AM
    This guy is the same one that posted several times that the iPhone keyboard was much better than the Z10 keyboard.

....that is all...
    thats were i stop reading this thread, nough said for me lol
    07-30-13 11:30 AM
    It's kind of a gimmick to begin with, right? To be honest when I first saw people doing HDR I thought, hm, that's neat. Then all of the sudden camera phones started having it as a shooting option and I just thought about all the cases where HDR is just not the right thing to use. It's the new lens flare.
    I don't know that I'd call HDR a gimmick. Like most advanced processing techniques, a great HDR take a lot of operator tweaking both before and after the shot, and judgment of when and if (or how) to even do it. In my opinion it's best when it's subtle enough to pull a little detail out without saturation or colour shifting.

You don't get any say with HDR on camera phones, so it is somewhat gimmicky, though it has its place and it's surprisingly good when used under the proper circumstances.
    laketrout73 likes this.
    07-30-13 11:30 AM
    90% of the time you take a photo with HDR, it will come out blury.. dont matter how straight u hold the camera...
    HDR is junk... a lot of people r going to say otherwise, but thats just typical in a blackberry forum
    HDR is NOT a BlackBerry exclusive. Perhaps it is on a phone but in cameras it can be found on some quite high end D-SLRs.

I'll repeat what I've already said, HDR when used as it's meant to be used, low light stationary scenes, will create an image of far higher quality than one taken without HDR. As with any tool, if you learn to use it properly it can prove to be invaluable. Don't use it properly and you'll constantly think of it as junk and will continue to take crappy pics.
    Berry_Pink likes this.
    07-30-13 11:37 AM
    I'll repeat what I've already said, HDR when used as it's meant to be used, low light stationary scenes, will create an image of far higher quality than one taken without HDR. As with any tool, if you learn to use it properly it can prove to be invaluable. Don't use it properly and you'll constantly think of it as junk and will continue to take crappy pics.
    HDR will do a brilliant job of pulling shadow details out of a bright scene. It's far more about capturing contrasty scenes than it is some arbitrary lighting level.
    laketrout73 likes this.
    07-30-13 11:44 AM
    The problem is with the picture taker, not with the HDR. Are you focusing the camera first before you take a picture? I find the blurry happens if you do not press and hold the focus square until it turns blue, then let the camera finish focusing then snap the picture.
    laketrout73 likes this.
    07-30-13 11:51 AM
    This guy is the same one that posted several times that the iPhone keyboard was much better than the Z10 keyboard.

....that is all...
    Lol!

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    07-30-13 11:51 AM

....that is all...
    Wait .. wait .. wait.. we need to add another one here. I can't believe the iphone time shift is way better than the ... oh snap.... nevermind
    07-30-13 12:01 PM
    The problem is with the picture taker, not with the HDR. Are you focusing the camera first before you take a picture? I find the blurry happens if you do not press and hold the focus square until it turns blue, then let the camera finish focusing then snap the picture.
    Blue? Wait, am I missing something?

Posted via CB10
    07-30-13 12:03 PM
    Blue? Wait, am I missing something?

Posted via CB10
    When you drag the focus square, it's blue until you release then it goes white while it auto-focuses and then green.
    07-30-13 12:06 PM
111 12345