Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 100
Like Tree56Likes
  1. kill_9's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,168 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts
    #26  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Michaluk View Post
    64GB cards will work when formatted in the device.
    The evil genius speaks. You do realise you have single-handedly created a run on 64GB microSDXC cards, right?
  2. Sparro's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    929 Posts
    Global Posts
    961 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hmmm...
    #27  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smoothrunnings View Post
    I have an 8GB microSD card in my 9860 but I have never had the need to fill it up so what in the world would you feel that you need to install on 64GB?
    I never understand why people need to post this kind of BS. I'm glad you only need 8GB, but what makes you think that because you only need 8GB that's what everbody else needs too.
    BlackBerry Z30 running BB10.3.1
    Thanked by 5:
    BB12MX (01-23-2013),  dalight13 (01-23-2013),  endevour (04-26-2013),  henry007 (01-23-2013),  peter9477 (01-22-2013) 
  3. BekNazar's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    297 Posts
    #28  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Michaluk View Post
    64GB cards will work when formatted in the device.
    I didn't even think to format when I tried mine! Got an error and switched back to 32GB. Just formatted it. Switching over now.
    Thanks Kevin!

    Todd
  4. DLEII's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    123 Posts
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #29  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skeevecr View Post
    Odds are they will follow the directory structure of the playbook instead rather than that of bb7.
    Nice. I know we are just over a week until the anouncement. But given that i have already ordered a case off ebay, i thought it would be a good idea to get my files all neat and tidy for my new device. Just a little way to pass the time. I want to be able to turn on and GO!....you know, since i have been waiting for this device the longest. :-) (see my previous thread)
  5. peter9477's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,216 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts
    #30  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smoothrunnings View Post
    I have an 8GB microSD card in my 9860 but I have never had the need to fill it up so what in the world would you feel that you need to install on 64GB?
    Videos.

    (I don't understand why you'd want that 8GB card though. Nobody will ever need more than 640K....)
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
  6. LazyEvul's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,920 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #31  

    Default

    I make do with a 2GB microSD card in my 9810 at the moment, but I can certainly understand why people could need a lot more than that. I don't have any videos on my card, for instance, and those take up absolutely massive amounts of space.
    Passport (10.3.0.1418) | Z30 (10.3.1.1016) | Lumia 1020 (WP8.1, Lumia Cyan) | Surface Pro 3 (256GB i5)
  7. Tre Lawrence's Avatar
    Between Realities

    Posts
    12,272 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,123 Global Posts
    #32  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peter9477 View Post
    Videos.

    (I don't understand why you'd want that 8GB card though. Nobody will ever need more than 640K....)

    Exactly LOL. I'm old enough to appreciate that...

    I do believe cloud computing will alleviate a lot of space concerns. I love having my media local, but have started streaming more. Don't carry movies around locally anymore. The end result is that I have barely been able to fill out the original 8GB card that came with my old device. I have barely made a dent in the current 16GB card, and I do have a lot of music onboard.
  8. rottonj's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    870 Posts
    PIN
    ask me
    #33  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jagrlover View Post
    Only half way. I think he was playing with words. Stating you could use a 64 GB card it technically correct. It just tells half the story.
    So are you saying when a 128GB card comes out it will accept that too?
  9. jimpilot's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,487 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,574 Global Posts
    #34  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Michaluk View Post
    64GB cards will work when formatted in the device.
    Based on Kevin's input I just ordered one from Amazon
  10. jimpilot's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,487 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,574 Global Posts
    #35  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trelawrence View Post
    Exactly LOL. I'm old enough to appreciate that...

    I do believe cloud computing will alleviate a lot of space concerns. I love having my media local, but have started streaming more. Don't carry movies around locally anymore. The end result is that I have barely been able to fill out the original 8GB card that came with my old device. I have barely made a dent in the current 16GB card, and I do have a lot of music onboard.
    .

    I have TV shows on the device for when I have to kill time and no wi-fi available. Instead of watching the same Big Bang episodes over and over I can now put several series and movies on the device.
  11. jagrlover's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    610 Posts
    #36  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rottonj View Post
    So are you saying when a 128GB card comes out it will accept that too?
    Yes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they already available?
    Wholesale 2012hot-128GB MICROSD CLASS 10 MICRO SD HC MICROSDHC TF FLASH MEMORY CARD REAL, Free shipping, $8.15-9.69/Piece | DHgate
    bbecause it's bbetter
  12. DarioBB92's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    52 Posts
    #37  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dougielas View Post
    At the highest quality bit rate for MP3, a 32GB card will hold 3200 songs. At the standard bit rate it’s closer to 8k songs. Why anyone would need to carry around that many songs is beyond me. And don’t forget that the SD card is hot swappable on BB10 so….



    Some people LOVE media, music is everything to me and I like having all my stuff on one device, I've used my BB for all things portable media since I had my Javelin. I currently have 4000+ songs on my 9900 32GB also using the 6GB of internal to hold the rest, I'd LOVE to have 64GB to hold even more music and also whatever else I see fit for myself, so you can think of your own view, because I'm not the only one that does this, just because you won't, won't mean I wont. lmfao.
  13. EGerhardt's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    379 Posts
    PIN
    20EB1810
    #38  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smoothrunnings View Post
    I have an 8GB microSD card in my 9860 but I have never had the need to fill it up so what in the world would you feel that you need to install on 64GB?
    Its a funny thing with space. It's less about what you NEED and more about having greater choice. At a pinch I have quite happily survived with a dinky 2gb MP3 player as my primary media carrier, but I wouldn't voluntarily give up the 20gb I can carry on my 9800 (4gb on board, 16gb card) because I can stretch out more and put on things that I may or may not want to listen to depending on my mood, instead of being restricted to making a single good playlist that is fine but less diverse. Also, I can carry a great amount of music and a great amount of speech.

    If you ask me it was good of RIM to support microSDXC cards. They aren't vastly expensive now, and that price is going to drop sooner rather than later, so it seems like it would be a missed opportunity for them, a way to offer back-door competition to dedicated media devices but without increasing the cost of manufacture as well as meaning that there's no real need for them to offer versions with different storage devices. If the media player is good and I can spend £40 to expand the storage by 64gb, why would I need a 64gb model that costs £100 more? And why would I want to carry a 64gb iPod when I can carry that much (and more since I can swap cards) for £40. (prices pulled off amazon, I bet you can beat it if you shop around). SDXC cards are already ok priced for the capacity and will get better and bigger, and any device released today that doesn't support it is missing out.
    peter9477 likes this.
  14. kill_9's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,168 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts
    #39  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peter9477 View Post
    Videos.

    (I don't understand why you'd want that 8GB card though. Nobody will ever need more than 640K....)
    I'm still amazed we need more than 5KB RAM (Commodore VIC-20).
  15. EGerhardt's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    379 Posts
    PIN
    20EB1810
    #40  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kill_9 View Post
    I'm still amazed we need more than 5KB RAM (Commodore VIC-20).
    Hehe restrictions breed creativity no?
  16. Thunderbuck's Avatar

    Posts
    6,557 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,560 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7
    #41  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jagrlover View Post
    Either that listing is inaccurate or they have the wrong photo, because going by the picture that's just standard SD, not microSD.
    “Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

    --Mark Twain
  17. Masahiro's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,270 Posts
    #42  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    Either that listing is inaccurate or they have the wrong photo, because going by the picture that's just standard SD, not microSD.
    Not to mention the price is a little...eyebrow raising.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
  18. sarahrich's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    254 Posts
    PIN
    2674F37B
    #43  

    Default

    ill be buying 32GB memory card then!
  19. EGerhardt's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    379 Posts
    PIN
    20EB1810
    #44  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    Either that listing is inaccurate or they have the wrong photo, because going by the picture that's just standard SD, not microSD.
    Yeah, something is wrong there. Simply can't be as advertised. As far as I can tell, no-one actually makes 128gb microSD cards yet, and the few 128gb regular SD cards I've seen go for about 120 bucks each. Offering something that isn't yet on sale, from an unknown brand, at a price that is just way way way too good to be true... looks like a scam to me.

    I clicked through the site and I am not encouraged. The site exclusively sell from China, which isn't a problem as such... but it looks like everything electronic is in some way dodgey. Stuff like Galaxy S3s for $180, but the pictures don't have Samsung logos on. I don't have a problem with buying from China (although I do it through eBay), and nor do I have problems with the look-alike devices that come out of China, they aren't bad at all if you want a cheap android device with ok specs, but advertising them as the original is just blatant fraud.
    Thanked by:
    peter9477 (01-23-2013) 
  20. DLEII's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    123 Posts
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #45  

    Default

    I had another question about the micro SD cards. Mine is 64GB Ultra. Now, i know i have to use ultra in my DSLR camera due to speed (I think). microSDXC I assume will handle the "ultra" type, heh?
  21. rottonj's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    870 Posts
    PIN
    ask me
    #46  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jagrlover View Post
    I dont think they are available yet. But what information do you have where you feel this will accept the 128gb when it comes out? Please share with the flock
  22. jagrlover's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    610 Posts
    #47  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rottonj View Post
    I dont think they are available yet. But what information do you have where you feel this will accept the 128gb when it comes out? Please share with the flock

    I've been told by a personally trusted source. I've got no reason not to believe him. The rest of you, however, need to decide for yourselves. Methinks you non-believers will remember this post when confirmed next week.(If I'm right, if not, please forget)
    bbecause it's bbetter
  23. rottonj's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    870 Posts
    PIN
    ask me
    #48  

    Default

    Well I hope you are right. I have a 32gb card that will do for now. I would rather hold out for the 128gb card. If you are wrong I'm sure someone here will let you know
  24. EGerhardt's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    379 Posts
    PIN
    20EB1810
    #49  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rottonj View Post
    I dont think they are available yet. But what information do you have where you feel this will accept the 128gb when it comes out? Please share with the flock
    The size of the card isn't the relevant part, it's the technology behind it. If a 64gb SDXC card works, then a 128gb SDXC card will too, and in a few years a 256gb or 512gb one will also be acceptable. They are all built on the same technology standard and so are intercompatible.

    Where I think you are getting mixed up is that twoish years ago (might be longer) there was some uncertainty on lots of devices as to if they would accept 32gb cards. The reason that some devices did and some didn't was not because of the storage space on them, its because the 32gb cards were/are a slightly different technology than the earlier cards. Up to 16gb cards were SDSC (SD Standard Capacity) and 16gb was the upper limit for those cards. The 32gb cards were all SDHC (SD High Capacity) which had a 32gb limit. Some devices had SDHC support already, others needed a firmware update that enabled it, other just were never engineered to do that and so could only take SDSC cards. SDXC (SD eXtended capacity) is yet another technology, but its upper limit is 2TB. Any device that has support for SDXC technology will be able to use any SDXC card that ever is released.
  25. rottonj's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    870 Posts
    PIN
    ask me
    #50  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EGerhardt View Post
    The size of the card isn't the relevant part, it's the technology behind it. If a 64gb SDXC card works, then a 128gb SDXC card will too, and in a few years a 256gb or 512gb one will also be acceptable. They are all built on the same technology standard and so are intercompatible.

    Where I think you are getting mixed up is that twoish years ago (might be longer) there was some uncertainty on lots of devices as to if they would accept 32gb cards. The reason that some devices did and some didn't was not because of the storage space on them, its because the 32gb cards were/are a slightly different technology than the earlier cards. Up to 16gb cards were SDSC (SD Standard Capacity) and 16gb was the upper limit for those cards. The 32gb cards were all SDHC (SD High Capacity) which had a 32gb limit. Some devices had SDHC support already, others needed a firmware update that enabled it, other just were never engineered to do that and so could only take SDSC cards. SDXC (SD eXtended capacity) is yet another technology, but its upper limit is 2TB. Any device that has support for SDXC technology will be able to use any SDXC card that ever is released.
    Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I will just wait in the weeds to see what people are buying and actually works as it should.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Do you think OS 6 will let apps be installed on the memory card?
    By skippyhdog in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-21-2010, 02:15 AM
  2. Do you think OS 6 will let apps be installed on the memory card?
    By skippyhdog in forum BlackBerry OS Apps
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-21-2010, 02:15 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2009, 03:21 PM
  4. Need to backup 8330 OTA (over the air) or to SD card
    By leaper in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xx
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 03:52 PM
  5. Can the 8130 Pearl use the new hc micdo sd cards?
    By Jer Bear in forum BlackBerry Pearl 81xx
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-02-2008, 09:30 AM

Posting Permissions