Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 100
Like Tree56Likes
  1. DLEII's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    116 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Lets Clear the air on the SD card capacity

    I have heard conflicting info about the SD card size capicity. Several i have heard up to 64GB
    Others i am hearing only up to 32GB which is what the current OS7 is capable of.
    I am thinking that my shiny new 64gb ultra will work fine in the new Z10 but just wanted to throw it out there for you guy to comment on.

    Thanks in advance!!!
  2. Balti43's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    486 Posts
    Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    I've been hearing only up to 32GB but I only have a 2gb so I'm waiting until launch date to see if i'll buy a 32gb or a 64gb.
  3. DLEII's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    116 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    oh, one more thing. Are we thinking that the current format (Sub directories) will be the same as OS7? I wanna go ahead and get my new card set up
  4. Sith_Apprentice's Avatar

    Posts
    9,741 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,743 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    #4  

    Default

    well, in THEORY, and someone correct me if I am wrong, but the microSDXC cards use exFAT, which has an estimated file size limit of 16 EB (16 * 1024 PB). RIM has licensed exFAT from Microsoft, meaning they *could* make use of this.
    ~S_A
  5. Sith_Apprentice's Avatar

    Posts
    9,741 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,743 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Balti43 View Post
    I've been hearing only up to 32GB but I only have a 2gb so I'm waiting until launch date to see if i'll buy a 32gb or a 64gb.
    It will be at least the 64GB I am sure.
    ~S_A
    Thanked by:
    BB12MX (01-23-2013) 
  6. Kevin Michaluk's Avatar
    Founder, Fearless Leader of CrackBerry Nation

    Posts
    3,285 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,528 Global Posts
    PIN
    It's complicated...
    #6  

    Default

    64GB cards will work when formatted in the device.
    Kevin Michaluk
    Founder, Editor in Chief, Troll Killer, CrackBerry.com
    Chief Media Officer, Mobile Nations
    Thanked by 31:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    416to604 (01-22-2013),  Alex_Hong (01-23-2013),  annon91221 (01-23-2013),  antiRIM (01-22-2013),  antonnin (01-23-2013),  BB12MX (01-23-2013),  Bigpoint (01-25-2013),  Bilaal (01-22-2013),  chi-town311 (01-22-2013),  Chriz (01-22-2013),  dalight13 (01-23-2013),  dee. (01-22-2013),  diego.roscetti (01-27-2013),  DJM626 (01-22-2013),  DocDRM (01-22-2013),  houshinto#IM (01-23-2013),  Hypnoboy (01-23-2013),  ilikebacon (01-24-2013),  jakie55 (01-23-2013),  jimpilot (01-22-2013),  joe.miller (01-22-2013),  kellysz01 (04-26-2013),  Masahiro (01-22-2013),  npisano (01-22-2013),  QuIcKsIlV3r (01-22-2013),  rjkolo (01-22-2013),  RocPlayr (01-24-2013),  SangreNegra (01-22-2013),  schmeat (01-23-2013),  thedark722 (01-22-2013),  Wiltunscir (01-25-2013) 
  7. DLEII's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    116 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

    Default

    thanks guys. So i think the concensus is that i can use 64gb but i need not go ahead and set up under the current folder system.
  8. zeeten's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    453 Posts
    #8  

    Default Lets Clear the air on the SD card capicity

    Quote Originally Posted by DLEII View Post
    thanks guys. So i think the concensus is that i can use 64gb but i need not go ahead and set up under the current folder system.
    You better hurry...just in case it takes more than a week to format...

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
  9. Kevstra's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    303 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
    well, in THEORY, and someone correct me if I am wrong, but the microSDXC cards use exFAT, which has an estimated file size limit of 16 EB (16 * 1024 PB). RIM has licensed exFAT from Microsoft, meaning they *could* make use of this.
    This is correct, but the microSDXC standard supports a maximum of 2TB, while microSDHC supports a maximum of 32GB. Current devices only support up to 32GB because they only support microSDHC, and 32GB is the maximum within that standard.

    Hence, all the people claiming it supports a maximum of either 32GB or 64GB aren't entirely correct. If the new OS supports microSDXC (and thus exFAT, as mentioned has been licensed from Microsoft. Good sign!) then it theoretically supports up to 2TB. Unfortunately, the only commercially available microSDXC cards out right now are 64GB, which is why you see people claiming a maximum of 64GB.

    Hopefully RIM supports microSDXC with the new OS. Some Android devices support it, so it's not out of the question. I've started a thread in the BB10 OS sub-forum addressing this issue, requesting any information on the support of microSDXC.
    Last edited by Kevstra; 01-24-2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Grammar
  10. mkelley65's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    646 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevstra View Post
    This is correct, but the microSDXC standard supports a maximum of 2TB, while microSDHC supports a maximum of 32GB. Current devices only support up to 32GB because they only support microSDHC, and 32GB is the maximum within that standard.

    Hence, all the people claiming it supports a maximum of either 32GB or 64GB, aren't entirely correct. If the new OS supports microSDXC (and thus exFAT, as mentioned has been licensed from Microsoft. Good sign!) then it theoretically supports up to 2TB. Unfortunately, the only commercially available microSDXC cards out right now are 64GB, which is why you see people claiming a maximum of 64GB.

    Hopefully RIM supports microSDXC with the new OS. Some Android devices support it, so it's not out of the question. I've started a thread in the BB10 OS sub-forum addressing this issue, requesting any information on the support of microSDXC.
    Amazon.com: Kingston Digital 128 GB Secure Digital Memory Card (SDX10V/128GB): Computers & Accessories

    Amazon.com: Lexar Professional 400x 256GB SDXC UHS-I Flash Memory Card LSD256CTBNA400: Computers & Accessories
  11. PlaybookFanatic's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    145 Posts
    PIN
    310E9B05
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevstra View Post
    This is correct, but the microSDXC standard supports a maximum of 2TB, while microSDHC supports a maximum of 32GB. Current devices only support up to 32GB because they only support microSDHC, and 32GB is the maximum within that standard.

    Hence, all the people claiming it supports a maximum of either 32GB or 64GB, aren't entirely correct. If the new OS supports microSDXC (and thus exFAT, as mentioned has been licensed from Microsoft. Good sign!) then it theoretically supports up to 2TB. Unfortunately, the only commercially available microSDXC cards out right now are 64GB, which is why you see people claiming a maximum of 64GB.

    Hopefully RIM supports microSDXC with the new OS. Some Android devices support it, so it's not out of the question. I've started a thread in the BB10 OS sub-forum addressing this issue, requesting any information on the support of microSDXC.
    Did you NOT see the King Of The Rimpire just come in and shut it down with a definite yes? Accept it and get a 64GB SD and do a dance with the rest of us.
    Feeding my addiction since o9..., now it's 2013 and I'm still here!
    meganVee and jon4400 like this.
  12. PlaybookFanatic's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    145 Posts
    PIN
    310E9B05
    #13  

    Default

    Now the question for ME stands, are there hard confirmations for the storage capacity of the z10? Will it only be 16, or will there be 32 & 64 GB models?
    Feeding my addiction since o9..., now it's 2013 and I'm still here!
  13. smoothrunnings's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,357 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,358 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    I have an 8GB microSD card in my 9860 but I have never had the need to fill it up so what in the world would you feel that you need to install on 64GB?
  14. jagrlover's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    607 Posts
    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Michaluk View Post
    64GB cards will work when formatted in the device.


    Mr. Kevin, you are only half right. It will support 64 GB. But that's only because it will be expandable to 128 GB. Put money on it.
    bbecause it's bbetter
  15. Kevstra's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    303 Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smoothrunnings View Post
    I have an 8GB microSD card in my 9860 but I have never had the need to fill it up so what in the world would you feel that you need to install on 64GB?
    Uhm, I have a lot of music.
  16. Kevstra's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    303 Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PlaybookFanatic View Post
    Did you NOT see the King Of The Rimpire just come in and shut it down with a definite yes? Accept it and get a 64GB SD and do a dance with the rest of us.
    I'd love to dance!!! Where was this claimed?
  17. Masahiro's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,265 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevstra View Post
    I'd love to dance!!! Where was this claimed?
    Three posts above yours...
    Blatant placeholder signature.
    xicoxicao likes this.
  18. smoothrunnings's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,357 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,358 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Then get yourself an iPod!
  19. Dougielas's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    145 Posts
    #21  

    Default

    At the highest quality bit rate for MP3, a 32GB card will hold 3200 songs. At the standard bit rate itís closer to 8k songs. Why anyone would need to carry around that many songs is beyond me. And donít forget that the SD card is hot swappable on BB10 soÖ.



  20. feldmen01's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    184 Posts
    #22  

    Default

    If the 64GB model micro SD card I just bought off of CrackBerry doesn't work in my Z10, I will be a saaaaad Panda. It stated in the description that it was for the Z10, and if Kevin says it will, then that's good enough for me.
    Happy Z10 owner!
  21. feldmen01's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    184 Posts
    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jagrlover View Post
    Mr. Kevin, you are only half right. It will support 64 GB. But that's only because it will be expandable to 128 GB. Put money on it.
    I'm confused... are you agreeing with Kevin or not?
    Happy Z10 owner!
  22. jagrlover's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    607 Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by feldmen01 View Post
    I'm confused... are you agreeing with Kevin or not?
    Only half way. I think he was playing with words. Stating you could use a 64 GB card it technically correct. It just tells half the story.
    bbecause it's bbetter
  23. Skeevecr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,509 Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DLEII View Post
    oh, one more thing. Are we thinking that the current format (Sub directories) will be the same as OS7? I wanna go ahead and get my new card set up
    Odds are they will follow the directory structure of the playbook instead rather than that of bb7.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Do you think OS 6 will let apps be installed on the memory card?
    By skippyhdog in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-21-2010, 01:15 AM
  2. Do you think OS 6 will let apps be installed on the memory card?
    By skippyhdog in forum BlackBerry OS Apps
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-21-2010, 01:15 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2009, 02:21 PM
  4. Need to backup 8330 OTA (over the air) or to SD card
    By leaper in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xx
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 02:52 PM
  5. Can the 8130 Pearl use the new hc micdo sd cards?
    By Jer Bear in forum BlackBerry Pearl 81xx
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-02-2008, 08:30 AM

Posting Permissions