Android needs quad cores and high specs to make it barely enjoyable. It's like having a 3 ton car, then having to have a large V8 motor to make it move as quick as the 1.5 ton car with a turbocharged V6.
    12-01-12 11:32 AM
    Android needs quad cores and high specs to make it barely enjoyable. It's like having a 3 ton car, then having to have a large V8 motor to make it move as quick as the 1.5 ton car with a turbocharged V6.
    Interesting, since its the low-end single chief offerings that seem to be driving its growth. If folks are happy with those...
    12-01-12 11:45 AM
    I agree, if OS 2.1 can run as good as it does on a 1 ghz duel core then imagine what bb10 can do on something better

Sent from my BOLD or maybe my soon to be BB10 PlayBook
    12-01-12 11:47 AM
    Interesting, since its the low-end single chief offerings that seem to be driving its growth. If folks are happy with those...
    Have you used them? They really aren't very good.
    12-01-12 11:47 AM
    Why does a device have to ALWAYS come down to specs?! Why not discuss WHAT and HOW it can deliver it's features and OS and 3rd party apps to the end user using it and how well it performs. Oh yeah because nobody has any equal measurement of rating to deal with such a paradigm. hmm.
    I agree with your point.

I believe in the real world, specs are not the biggest deciding factor. "Regular" folks don't care about what processor or cores or even the relative speed of the browser. I believe the ecosystem is what sells a device on the end.
    12-01-12 11:49 AM
    Have you used them? They really aren't very good.
    It's my current platform of choice. I won't discount your experience, as it may be valid for you, but the platform works best for me at this given time.

The last speed tests I saw seemed to give it the edge over anything BB had out at the time.
    12-01-12 11:53 AM
    No need to rush with regards to specs; Android manufacturers almost need to. If RIM puts out a device with decent specs and cushions it with a good ecosystem, it'll be fine.
    12-01-12 11:55 AM
    While specs are important... OS efficiency is far more important... you can have the best specs handset going... if the OS requires more horsepower that a lesser handset with a more efficent OS. It is a wash..... been down this road in the PC Business..... When MS Vista came out it needed so much hardware to work... if you ran Windows 7 on the same speced computer it is easliy twice as fast in speed..... I have seen this on Android Tablets..... Had used a couple of them and found out in a hurry that all Android OS are not created equal....
    12-01-12 12:10 PM
    The common consumer could care less about specs. . .UI and apps are the biggest selling points RIM NEEDS to get right. . . QNX is a nimble acrobat compared to other OSs and will run perfectly smooth on the specs expected. If RIM can say to our android friends that all the apps you are used to (and even better ones) are available on our newer, more secure and more attractive platform then they will stand a chance. . . apps will win the day and as far as I can tell RIM knows this and is bending over backwards to make it happen. . .now whether it will work or not is another conversation. . .
    12-01-12 01:14 PM
    12-01-12 01:42 PM
    If the OS is very efficient which BB10 is with QNX then you can use hardware that is not leading edge (Quad Core) to achieve two goals. 1) User experience and 2) you don't have to spend gobs of money on the latest hardware that costs significantly more. This means more profit for RIM and higher share holder value. This is one of the reasons RIM will succeed, they don't need to compete in the spec race. They would lose against the likes of Samsung. Efficiency and experience is the name of the game. QNX has that in spades!
    Flexin likes this.
    12-01-12 02:00 PM
    blackberry got a great way to backup your stuff vs paying for a service from Verizon or other provider or app. those app usually don't even work and cost money half the times. i love bbdm. its how i backup my calendar to outlook or my torch securely vs an app which posts on there page and might get hacked.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Verizon
    12-01-12 02:15 PM
    I don't care about specs. I don't care much about android either because it is terrible software.

Android needs tons of hardware to even run as well as an iPhone 3GS. This is not the model Blackberry should be seeking to go down.

RIM needs to focus on great software, and seamless hardware integration so they can give the best experience possible, at the lowest price possible and appeal to the largest segment of consumers as possible.
    12-02-12 02:58 AM
    the kernal architecture is far more important than the specs of the device. QNX is much greater internally than the monolithic or hybrid kernals of its competitors. If its a spec race BlackBerry will never win. Heins is not about to run in a race he can't hope to keep up with the experience is far more important and that will define bb10s sucess. everyoneignored the STILLL amazing specs of the Playbook because the ecosystem/and by extention the experience was lacking. Nexus 7 (quadcore) vs Playbook. The OSs are just as fluid. Specs aren't all that important just a selling ploy really
    Sad thing is the average consumer wants the fastest, latest hardware and overlook the points you mentioned. Cheers.
    12-02-12 05:52 AM
    Dear OP, while your talking points about the Nexus 4 are valid, this is only true within the tech-geek/nerd realm. If you ask any regular person about a Nexus 4, they would have no idea what it is. I don't think there will be any problems with people buying BBs when they come out.
    jasonvan9 likes this.
    12-02-12 06:08 AM
    Thanks to Apple, PPI is a big deal, even though it really isn't. So that'll be on the London's side, while screen size will be iffy. I think the 4.2"-4.3" range is quite good, as not everyone is comfortable with a huge screen (although that's definitely where a lot of people are going).

The Nexus 4 uses a quad-core Snapdragon intended for tablets and notebooks, not for phones. The dual-core Snapdragon the London will launch with is an SOC with the baseband integrated, which offers better battery life. While the Nexus 4 is OK, arguably battery life is more important than raw power. Also, the PlayBook performs just fine and is as snappy as the best Androids, with a dual-core OMAP. Here, the experience really is more important, and the battery life even moreso.

The biggest disruption of the Nexus 4 isn't the specs, but the price. It has definitely changed everyone's expectation of what they have to pay, and if RIM was planning on launching the London for $599 or more, they might have to rethink that. I could afford to pay $599, but that's my absolute hard limit, and I'd have to seriously consider whether I'd pay that much. $499 would be a much easier buy for me.
    12-04-12 10:28 AM
    Dear OP, while your talking points about the Nexus 4 are valid, this is only true within the tech-geek/nerd realm. If you ask any regular person about a Nexus 4, they would have no idea what it is. I don't think there will be any problems with people buying BBs when they come out.
    This isn't true, average people are hitting F5 to be able to buy a Nexus 4.
    Drew808 likes this.
    12-04-12 10:29 AM

The biggest disruption of the Nexus 4 isn't the specs, but the price. It has definitely changed everyone's expectation of what they have to pay, and if RIM was planning on launching the London for $599 or more, they might have to rethink that. I could afford to pay $599, but that's my absolute hard limit, and I'd have to seriously consider whether I'd pay that much. $499 would be a much easier buy for me.
    BINGO!
    Last edited by trelawrence; 12-04-12 at 12:50 PM.
    Drew808 and jimpilot like this.
    12-04-12 12:17 PM
    The common consumer could care less about specs. . .
    The common consumer also commonly misunderstands specs. My uncle swears up and down that he needs an ultra high megapixel camera even though he only posts his photos on Facebook and never zooms in. Because it's "better"
    12-04-12 12:22 PM
    This isn't true, average people are hitting F5 to be able to buy a Nexus 4.
    I never said that the tech-geek/nerd realm was small? We are Legion, and we are many.

The Nexus 4 is the hottest device in the tech/geek community and Google/LG didn't expect such high demand.
    12-07-12 08:18 PM
    Not all customers compare specs. Or at least not all specs. My friend wanted a new phone and felt she couldn't wait for BB10. She had an old Curve. Her main focus was to get a better camera. She said she wanted a good camera with video, decent battery life, decent memory and easy to use. She ended up with the Galaxy S3. It came down to that and the iphone 5. The processor didn't play a part in it. I also remember price playing a big part in it because she was being cheap.

Like the old saying goes, "you can't please everyone". The phone needs to do what it does very well. Spec it so it can multi task like crazy. No spinning clock or stalled clock.

James
    12-08-12 07:53 AM
    The rumored specs sound good for BB10 the experience sounds better
    anon(3310921) likes this.
    12-08-12 10:12 AM
    I don't think specs matter that much to consumers when comparing different OSs. Of course consumers will compare the HTC One X's, specs to the SGS3, they both run the same OS, they need to find something that shows which is superior, but comparing the SGS3 to the Lumia 920, you're much more mindful of what features of the OS you gain or lose with each device. The only spec that still stands out when comparing devices with different OSs is probably the camera's specs.

Who says that folks are really happy with them. And the reason they sell more is because they're cheap. Price is the most important factor for most consumers when buying most things.
    12-08-12 12:51 PM
    I don't care about specs. I don't care much about android either because it is terrible software.

Android needs tons of hardware to even run as well as an iPhone 3GS.
    This part of your post overflows with hyperbole, inaccuracies, and gross exaggerations. Smh.
    12-09-12 02:32 AM
    As long as the phone is fast, efficient, reliable, smooth and helps me get things done I'll be happy!
    12-09-12 12:57 PM
55 123