So I just stopped in at the Best Buy where I pre-ordered my Verizon Z10 and figured I would just play with the AT&T one today since its available. To my surprise....no display. No working model to even touch. The girl tries to explain to me what the phone is like and says its like an Android phone. I stop her and tell her to stop wasting her time and that her description was far from what the phone is like. I told her the only thing she got right was that it had no buttons. I guess the only way the z10 will be a success in the US is by word of mouth because the retailers aren't helping the cause. BlackBerry needs to start marketing ASAP!!
    jfunds, ErinnM and assaads like this.
    03-22-13 11:09 AM
    Best Buy has never had working demos at my local stores.
    03-22-13 11:11 AM
    "Like an android phone."

Those words will haunt my dreams, forever.
    03-22-13 11:15 AM
    Best Buy employees that are knowledgeable are few and far between. I once helped a friend purchase a new laptop and asked the sales associate how to turn on the web cam on one model. He couldn't figure it out and called over another associate. He couldn't figure it out either. They then called a third guy over. I then got frustrated and figured it out for myself as they stood there with their hands in their pockets.
    03-22-13 11:17 AM
    All I ever see at best buy are those static display bricks, I'd never buy a phone sight unseen like that. They need to get full kiosks out there with working phones.
    03-22-13 11:19 AM
    The Best Buy employees that live in their mom's basement and attending online colleges are way too busy to know features of products they sell. Please lower your expectations
    R Field and ErinnM like this.
    03-22-13 11:21 AM
    All I ever see at best buy are those static display bricks, I'd never buy a phone sight unseen like that. They need to get full kiosks out there with working phones.
    Actual phone stores don't even have that. At least not in my area. They have the same static display as Best Buy
    03-22-13 11:22 AM
    At&t salesman had a z10 on him as his personal device, just ask to see one.
    03-22-13 11:24 AM
    Depends where you live, I think. In So. Cal the Best Buy near me has a good percent of kids who are on it. Also, with a nightmare scenario created by a lame-o Crestron installer (whom I fired while doing a major remodel) I got Geek Squad to come in and completely rewire (were talking in-wall wiring that was done wrong, in some cases converting CAT 6 to audio wires etc, ) and install Sonos. Not Eisenstein work, but still a mess. They cleaned it up in two days.

And BTW, my experience at T-Mo walk-in stores has always been that they have working phones ready to try.
    03-22-13 11:41 AM
    The Best Buy I went to this morning to pick up my Z10 from had no working displays of any phone. Just those dummy bricks.

I will say the associate who activated my phone he knew how to navigate it, so they at least had some training on the devices.

I was disappointed to see no signs for the new BlackBerry though. There was about five of us at the store to pick up so I can't be that mad.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 12:01 PM
    So I just stopped in at the Best Buy where I pre-ordered my Verizon Z10 and figured I would just play with the AT&T one today since its available. To my surprise....no display. No working model to even touch. The girl tries to explain to me what the phone is like and says its like an Android phone. I stop her and tell her to stop wasting her time and that her description was far from what the phone is like. I told her the only thing she got right was that it had no buttons. I guess the only way the z10 will be a success in the US is by word of mouth because the retailers aren't helping the cause. BlackBerry needs to start marketing ASAP!!
    Well, you should know by now that sales associates for cellphones are almost always morons. If you walk into any store and ask for any device OTHER than an iPhone or Android, the sales associate always tries to get your attention back to one of those devices. This should not shock you at all.

BTW: Technically, it IS "like" an Android phone. It's also "like" an iPhone. Her statement is not 100% incorrect, whether she sounded like an idi0t or not.
    03-22-13 12:07 PM
    Should have gone To Costco if you have one all had working displays and even a sales contest for top sales love it. On mine ever got free new sim, case and gift card!

Posted on my DARTHVADER Z-10
    Alphax45 likes this.
    03-22-13 12:10 PM
    The Best Buy close to me had the same issue. No actual demo units for any phone. I also went to my local Verizon store to see if they had a demo unit. Unfortunately there were no Blackberry phones on display. Not a hint they sold Blackberries other than a sticker on the door for the Z10.

I think word of mouth and media is the best way to get the word out about the Z10. Hoping next week goes by very fast!
    03-22-13 12:35 PM
    Just left an AT&T store in Dallas...had a working demo unit, but to my surprise there was a BlackBerry Keep Moving van out front. They weren't set up yet but it seemed pretty cool. While using the demo device there were three customers waiting to purchase. Hopefully these marketing efforts continue.
    03-22-13 12:44 PM
    It's always better having hands-on experience with the real device than a dummy device that is useless. I always visit my 1 local SP, they only have demo displays that way a potential customer can have a feel, touch, play, navigate, use the camera, check the features etc. Here in my country the BlackBerry Z10 is being marketed all over the show on websites I visit, service providers giving them away on competitions, etc. Plenty of billboards.
    03-22-13 01:27 PM
    Well, you should know by now that sales associates for cellphones are almost always morons. If you walk into any store and ask for any device OTHER than an iPhone or Android, the sales associate always tries to get your attention back to one of those devices. This should not shock you at all.

BTW: Technically, it IS "like" an Android phone. It's also "like" an iPhone. Her statement is not 100% incorrect, whether she sounded like an idi0t or not.
    Not all sales people are like that. Not by a long shot. Some of us actual *gasp* try to sell the right phone for the persons needs regardless of make or model.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    03-22-13 01:31 PM
    "Like an android phone."

More like a nightmare. *hides head in hands*

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 01:36 PM
    The Best Buy employees that live in their mom's basement and attending online colleges are way too busy to know features of products they sell. Please lower your expectations
    Actually my fiance who works at Best Buy and is getting her Masters. Many of the people are undergraduates or have undergraduate degrees. You may think what you said is funny but it is not and I find it highly disrespectful. Have you ever worked in retail? Have you ever been screamed at by a person just because the store didn't have cd cases? No, you probably haven't. Check your mouth.
    03-22-13 01:39 PM
    You come across as an arrogant, over-privileged child in need of a kick to the gutter of society. Gee, you spew such vile. Best Buy staff are on the same level as most government employees; interpret the comment anyway you choose Smilin' Jack.
    03-22-13 01:43 PM
    Actually my fiance who works at Best Buy and is getting her Masters. Many of the people are undergraduates or have undergraduate degrees. You may think what you said is funny but it is not and I find it highly disrespectful. Have you ever worked in retail? Have you ever been screamed at by a person just because the store didn't have cd cases? No, you probably haven't. Check your mouth.
    I got called a 'f**king useless b*tch" the other day for being medically unable to lift down a TV for a customer. A customer that I had just said I would go get my coworker to lift it down for because I can't lift anything due to cracked ribs.

Yeah. We totally deserve the abuse heaped on us, working in a store. The attitudes are soooooo funny.

New phone launch means it's gonna be a loooooong weekend on the forums. *duck and cover*
    fairfaxnut likes this.
    03-22-13 01:44 PM
    "Like an android phone."

Do you need a therapist to help you overcome those words?
    03-22-13 01:46 PM
    Best Buy employees that are knowledgeable are few and far between. I once helped a friend purchase a new laptop and asked the sales associate how to turn on the web cam on one model. He couldn't figure it out and called over another associate. He couldn't figure it out either. They then called a third guy over. I then got frustrated and figured it out for myself as they stood there with their hands in their pockets.
    LMAO! That's hilarious. My brother used to work at Best Buy, but he is a "computer nerd" as I put it so he was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. That's rare though.
    03-22-13 01:47 PM
    In my experience a lot of people selling these phones don't really know much beyond the phone they personally own. If it's an iphone, they push that. If it's an Android, they push that.

As for the lack of demo units, Best Buys and Future Shops here in Canada have demos of the Z10, usually a working demo of the black Z10 and a dummy version of the white right beside it. I'm actually surprised to hear there are none in the US. Perhaps that will come with time.

JB
    03-22-13 01:48 PM