What do you do when you run down all 3 of your batteries? (Same as 1 discharge cycle on a Z30)....
    Z30 battery (2880mAh) won't last as long as 3 x Z10 batteries (5400mAh) on similarly configured devices.
    PHughes likes this.
    04-14-15 02:22 PM
    I would like to see it put to the test. a Z30 vs a Z10 with 3 batteries with the same usage. My bet is they would be much closer than many might think. Blackberry rated the Z30 with 2.5x the talk time with only ~60% more battery.

It really is besides the point anyway. Extra batteries don't really fix the problem. They work to help get through the day as long as you can keep them charged. If you really don't have a way to charge the batteries for an extended period of time you are better off with a portable charging pack.
    04-14-15 02:37 PM
    I would like to see it put to the test.
    I have tested Z10 playing 720p video with 50% brightness, all communications off. New fresh battery lasts about 4.5h 100% to 0%. Results may vary depending on video compression method used. Not sure if Z30 will last for 13.5h under the same test.
    04-14-15 05:22 PM
    Extra batteries really aren't the best solution there either since they still pose a limited supply of power. You should invest in a solar charger pack or a hand crank power pack. What do you do when you run down all 3 of your batteries? (Same as 1 discharge cycle on a Z30)....

http://www.amazon.com/ForeverBattery...UvbUpU11561678
    I have four batteries. I also have a solar charger. I also truly doubt that in practice, the Z30 battery lasts four times longer than that of a Z10.

The point isn't Z10 battery vs a Z30 battery, it is a non-removable battery vs a removable battery. The removable battery will win every time since it can be replaced.

My point regarding the non-removable battery in areas like I described, isn't that they will simply run out of power, it is that you may have a battery die completely rendering your phone unusable. With a replaceable battery you just put in a new battery, with a non-replaceable battery, you cannot do that and are out of luck until you can get your phone replaced or find a battery, and the tools you need to replace them, because you may not have al that with you at the time, or you wait for someone else to fix your phone. Whatever you do, it won't happen on the side of the road at 2am while riding a motorcycle, nor will it happen on your way to a hotel in Papua New Guinea.
    04-14-15 07:40 PM
    Yes but that doesn't help you much if you are on a ship in the middle of the Atlantic, or on a plane flying to Asia, or in a hotel in Papua New Guinea, or on a bicycle on a trail in Pennsylvania, or riding across country on a motorcycle on a Sunday night at about 2:00AM, or...
    You don't need a phone. You need some matches, a fishing hook with a string, and a hunting knife! :-)
    PHughes likes this.
    04-14-15 07:57 PM
    But the chance of a sudden battery failure is unlikely. It will exhibit signs of failure well in advance. You have the same probability of any other hardware failure also.. it could be inconvenient to say the least but just looking at all the playbooks out there without issue (including my own) that have outlived there usefulness gives me confidence.
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    04-14-15 08:02 PM
    You don't need a phone. You need some matches, a fishing hook with a string, and a hunting knife! :-)
    Not really... BlackBerry Passport is good for hunting. It's shape allows better throw compared to Z30, longer range and better chances to kill the animal with the increased weight and sharp edges. Just make sure you get the standard one, AT&T rounded corners version is not that good for this purpose. Red one preferred, easier to find in the bush in case you miss.
    04-14-15 08:07 PM
    You are missing out man.
    I started with a 9930 moved to a Q10, used that for 1.5-2 years then jumped ship to verizon for the Z30 thought I'd never leave.
    Then I got the passport in my hands.Been using it for a month or 2 maybe 3 and I picked up the Z30 and it felt like a joke in my hands as well as a little awkward.
    The battery on the Z30 is great, I did some test runs on it with screen shots a couple of times
    This one was with 6-8 apps running in active frames as well as streaming spotify pretty much the whole day,except for lunch when I ran netflix then went back to spotify after.So heavy use kinda. On WIFI.
    Just can't do it. . .get a Passport-325370d1420399468t-been-lurking-year-finally-joined-up-img_20150102_162931.png

This was light to moderate use. No active frames, just casual use. But streaming/native music app Via Bluetooth for the ride to and from work(hour +)
    Just can't do it. . .get a Passport-325375d1420399536t-been-lurking-year-finally-joined-up-img_20150104_133834.png
    And the Passport crushes the Z30 in comparison doing the same thing.

Either way, you cant lose.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    04-14-15 08:24 PM
    I also have a solar charger.
    Re-use this ^^^, add this to your travel bag,

Buy online top recommended World's smallest Portable Jump Starter and Back-up Power Supply Cell Phones, Laptops , Motorcycles,Trucks, Cars on carkart.com

Problem solved
    04-14-15 08:34 PM
    [QUOTE/]My point regarding the non-removable battery in areas like I described, isn't that they will simply run out of power, it is that you may have a battery die completely rendering your phone unusable. With a replaceable battery you just put in a new battery, with a non-replaceable battery, you cannot do that and are out of luck until you can get your phone replaced or find a battery, and the tools you need to replace them, because you may not have al that with you at the time, or you wait for someone else to fix your phone. Whatever you do, it won't happen on the side of the road at 2am while riding a motorcycle, nor will it happen on your way to a hotel in Papua New Guinea.[/QUOTE]

We understand your scenario. Sure it will happen eventually and if it happens in one of those places it will be a big problem. The question I would like to ask; How often will a battery reach the end of it's service life and need a totally new one ? If you carry an independant USB battery it will run the phone even if the old battery has reached the end of it's service life. And if you use a USB battery you don't have to put up with a restart on your device, which is what you get if you swap the internal battery for a fresh one.
    04-15-15 08:11 AM
    How often will a battery reach the end of it's service life and need a totally new one?
    It all depends on how you use the device and where. More charging cycles and more heat kills the batteries faster. For one user the battery may last over 2 years, for another it may die in 1 year. And keep in mind that battery capacity gradually degrades over time. 2 years old battery may show good health, but it won't hold 100% of the original capacity. On a removable battery phone you can have a brand new fresh battery for about $15 or less and it takes 1 minute time to replace it. On phones with built-in batteries it's much more expensive and time consuming procedure.
    04-15-15 08:17 AM
    [QUOTE/]
    We understand your scenario. Sure it will happen eventually and if it happens in one of those places it will be a big problem. The question I would like to ask; How often will a battery reach the end of it's service life and need a totally new one ? If you carry an independant USB battery it will run the phone even if the old battery has reached the end of it's service life. And if you use a USB battery you don't have to put up with a restart on your device, which is what you get if you swap the internal battery for a fresh one.
    With the battery bundle, you can use the Z10 battery as a USB charger if you need to continue working, You simply pull out the plug that is included on the charging case, and plug that into your phone and continue working, then you can swap the battery out when you are done and can shut the phone down. This is much more convenient to me than carrying the phone and a USB charger around until the phone is fully charged.

Honestly, despite the battery's shorter charge life, the system Blackberry put together for the Z10 with the battery bundle, is a very good system.
    Gajja likes this.
    04-15-15 09:05 AM
    When you think about it, you can actually continue to use the battery bundle, even with a phone that doesn't have a replaceable battery.

Keep your battery bundle, keep your spare Z10 batteries, charge them all, and when your phone runs down just hook up the bundle with a fresh battery. One advantage: you don't have to power the phone down to change batteries.

Second advantage: if you have other devices that charge via microUSB, you can juice them up in a pinch, too. When I sold my Q10 I kept the battery bundle and I use that for "road juice" for my Passport and my Galaxy Tab S.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-16-15 10:16 AM
    When you think about it, you can actually continue to use the battery bundle, even with a phone that doesn't have a replaceable battery.

Keep your battery bundle, keep your spare Z10 batteries, charge them all, and when your phone runs down just hook up the bundle with a fresh battery. One advantage: you don't have to power the phone down to change batteries.

Second advantage: if you have other devices that charge via microUSB, you can juice them up in a pinch, too. When I sold my Q10 I kept the battery bundle and I use that for "road juice" for my Passport and my Galaxy Tab S.
    Yes, I have used them for other devices as the need presented itself. I think the battery bundle is a fantastic design. Blackberry truly though this one out.
    04-20-15 10:04 AM
    Actually iPhones always have outdated specs. Just look the specsheets on gsmarena for the 5s, 6 and even 6+. But the software (iOS) is just fast and doesn't need a whole lot of power, just as bb10 in my opinion.
    Posted via CB10
    Wrong, all OSs need good hardware even bb10. Just compare dualcore Z10 with 5s. 5s still standing as right winner
    What about the silly high price tag of your suggestions?
    Posted via CB10
    When it comes to iphone, it's overprice. how about leap or classic?
    04-20-15 11:32 AM
    And I feel like Darth Vader is talking to me now. ."You are part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor. . . " Yep . .I'm liking the passport. It is heave and a bit unweildy, but faster than my Z. Of course the repairs piece I ordered for the Z should arrive in a day now that I said that. . .
    04-20-15 04:10 PM
    I'm sorry but an iPhone is not a simple toy, simply put while it may not have the features you prefer it has the best ecosystem out there for productivity, it's has also leap flogged blackberry in security which is why blackberry themselves are having to move to a services model because they are aware that the a no longer the sole provider of secure solutions... get you're head out of the sand....the federal gov't even allows apple pay as a payment option due it's security features.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 09:41 PM
67 123