I've purchase four BlackBerry phones since 2007, two curves and two z 10s. Need to buy a new phone since I have scratched the screen so bad on this one at work but I really can't justify buying a z30 since the company's bottom line is so fragile. Read just now that blackberry's worldwide marketshare is just 0.6 percent with just 85 million users. This can't go on this way forever, and have read the only reason things have stabilized with at blackberry in past year is due to cost cutting, not thru improving sales. Cant take the chance of no or limited support if the company isn't there next year. Any suggestions for replacement? I need to by one soon..

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 06:32 PM
    Your assessment of the company is wrong.

Device sales have been picking up, and the company actually made money on them last quarter. The numbers are a little confusing, because they're still selling old BBOS devices and the sales of those continue to drop. BB10 is actually doing very well now, and it looks like the new Passport is a genuine hit.

The other confusing thing, financially, is "service revenue". The company has gotten subscription fees for every "old school" BB subscriber, but as those users move on to other phones (even BB10s), that revenue goes away. The answer to that is that they'll be charging license fees for BES, and that includes Apple and Android phones that are registered on BES servers. There's every reason to believe that this income will more than replace the old subscription fees.

BlackBerry is not going out of business.
    09-30-14 06:34 PM
    Not enough info as to what your needs are.... your needs determine your choice.... unsure of OP rational for switching... but to each their own..... good luck with whatever choice you make... remember the the grass is greener adage....
    Nayalm and Shadowyugi like this.
    09-30-14 06:40 PM
    It may be improving and I said in my original post things have stabilized,, but also read that was mainly due to cost cutting. There is only so much costcutting that can be done. 0.6 percent worldwide market shares, with 85 million worldwide users? That definitely isn't good. I just dont want to buy a new phone if there wont be any support. Been there done that with the playbook.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 06:41 PM
    It may be improving and I said in my original post things have stabilized,, but also read that was mainly due to cost cutting. There is only so much costcutting that can be done. 0.6 worldwide market shares, with 85 million worldwide users? That definitely isn't good

Posted via CB10
    And as I say, the company's stabilized position isn't just cost-cutting (though obviously that had to be part of the solution). Platform shifts are tricky; sometimes they can be hugely successful, sometimes they can be difficult. In this case, BlackBerry had some cultural problems (read: snottiness) that they needed to get over as well.

BB10 is just 18 months in the market, going up against massive, established competition from Apple and Google. In the time it's been available it has improved almost weekly, and it's a viable alternative for many now.

I'm not saying you don't have a right to move to a different platform if one fits your needs better than BB10 does, I'm just saying that you can't use the excuse that the company is dying. It isn't.
    SubCamp, CDM76, Carmels and 8 others like this.
    09-30-14 06:48 PM
    Why don't you just replace the screen?

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    09-30-14 06:55 PM
    Maybe, but I guess I'm just gun shy after the playbook fiasco.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 07:00 PM
    They got 91 million BBM users alone.
    SPNKr likes this.
    09-30-14 07:02 PM
    I've purchase four BlackBerry phones since 2007, two curves and two z 10s. Need to buy a new phone since I have scratched the screen so bad on this one at work but I really can't justify buying a z30 since the company's bottom line is so fragile. Read just now that blackberry's worldwide marketshare is just 0.6 percent with just 85 million users. This can't go on this way forever, and have read the only reason things have stabilized with at blackberry in past year is due to cost cutting, not thru improving sales. Cant take the chance of no or limited support if the company isn't there next year. Any suggestions for replacement? I need to by one soon..

Posted via CB10
    You're not buying BlackBerry's stock! You're buying their phone. Their financial result doesn't affect how your phone work. If you like it how it is, it will continue to work the way it is now for the foreseeable future.

Considering that any device you buy from anyone go end of life within two or three years anyway, it doesn't make a difference of buying either BlackBerry or anything else.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 07:05 PM
    If you used a screen protector the screen wouldn't be scratched to crap. But I'd also imagine replacing the screen is cheaper than getting a new phone......

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 07:06 PM
    Buy another Z10. They're cheap now and it's the best deal you can get for $200

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 07:09 PM
    As market share is important to the OP ... all the stats you quoted are on the consumer market.... not enterprise.. which are not counted..... as it is unlikely the Canadians would let BB go belly up in the short term..... have much as said much so... would not matter in the forseeable future seeing a smartphone life is around 2-3 years before upgrading... with 3 billion in the bank and more devices in the pipeline I am unsure of the OP concern......
    maddie1128 likes this.
    09-30-14 07:12 PM
    Get an iPhone..but please put a screen protector on it.
    09-30-14 07:13 PM
    Why would you come here and ask such a question and phase it that way?

What the what?
    09-30-14 07:17 PM
    If you used a screen protector the screen wouldn't be scratched to crap. But I'd also imagine replacing the screen is cheaper than getting a new phone......

Posted via CB10
    10$ on eBay with frame..just replaced two
    CDM76 likes this.
    09-30-14 07:25 PM
    ... but I really can't justify buying a z30 since the company's bottom line is so fragile. Read just now that blackberry's worldwide marketshare is just 0.6 percent with just 85 million users..
    Posted via CB10
    You are raising TWO concerns that don't really have much to do with each other.

First you are cost conscious, otherwise I'm assuming you would have had a z30 by now.
    I would recommend looking into amazon or eBay. The z10 is still a pretty darn good phone for $200 off contract, but you could go with an iPhone 4 at a similar price. IMO, the z10 is waaay better than an iPhone 4 (the 4s is running over $300)

Second is that you are worried Blackberry will be out of business so you will not get updates to your phone etc.
    If you are carrier dependent, then you are more at the mercy of the carrier than manufacturer (except Apple). Even if the COMPANY is still around, doesn't mean that the DEVICE is still updated and supports new features. Even if you do go apple, the latest iOS is known to run very slow on older devices (probably deliberately IMO), so not sure if that solves your problem.

If you've been on Blackberry OS for the past 7 years, then you'd be better served sticking to the platform.
    09-30-14 07:26 PM
    You make it sound like you're deciding on which neighborhood to buy a house in, or which bank to deposit those $10Million. For starters: it's a purchase NOT an investment (i.e. It will not appreciate in value under normal circumstances). As a purchase, it's worth as much utility as it gives you NOW, which depends on your usage obviously.

How long do you honestly plan to keep any modern device for? A year, maybe two? It's safe to say BlackBerry isn't going to shut it's doors in a year... and even if they completely went away tomorrow... your BlackBerry device would still provide most of the utility you purchased it for (maybe BBM would stop working and BlackBerry World would die,... oh well. Calls, SMS, emails, browsing, Whatsapp, etc would still work).

But even of they did press a selfdestruct button in every device,.. what's your "risk"? What's the max that you could lose?

$PurchasePrice - $[(value of daily utility)*(number of days that it provided utility)] + $ReplacementPhone PurchasePrice

So,.. worse case, if BlackBerry self-destructed the day after you bought your device, it would be something like $800+$800. But we all know that your device will be able to function regardless (like people holding on to WebOS), and that, if it did die instantly, you don't have to replace it right away with an iPhone 6.

So just... get what works for you now.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 and janjan11 like this.
    09-30-14 07:42 PM
    I think you are regurgitating a story that may have been valid 10 months ago but is much less so especially after the last earnings release. The company isn't really in any significant financial distress any longer and will in all likelihood be showing a profit again within the next 6 months. Yes their market share in hardware is low but according to John Chen the hardware division was profitable last quarter for the first time in 16 months so there is no reason to not operate in a profitable business. I am a CPA/CA so I know a bit about what I am referring to. Don't let this drag you down by any means. Also according to JC on the last earnings call the last 10 months have all about right sizing the company and everything going forward is going to be about growing the top line (revenue). I believe previously he also said that they only need to sell 10 million phones annually to be profitable on hardware which is a very realistic sales target which is way less than 1% of the global market share. So even if they could get their market share up to say 2% globally they would be making a fair amount of money again.
    CDM76, laketrout73 and Thunderbuck like this.
    09-30-14 07:50 PM
    If you are looking for an affordable alternative, get an Android phone. There are many options out there. If you owns a macbook, maybe you will want to consider switching to iPhone. I don't use Windows phones so no comments on them.

Like what has been said, identify what you need or want and what works for you.
    To be honest, I did not choose to buy z10 because of the security etc.. i choose it because I spend only $50 after discounts and the phone offers the best value. I had no problem going through the learning curve and here I am now, about a year into using my first BlackBerry and still loving it.

Posted via CB10
    lmsilvam likes this.
    09-30-14 07:59 PM
    To be honest, I was in the same position as you a few months ago. I left blackberry because I wanted to get something a bit more stable, I've had an iPhone 5 and a galaxy s4 over the past 2-3 months and I ended up coming back. I too was scared about the support of bb10 phones and software upgrades and what not for the near future, but with the release of the passport, the leaks of 10.3 and with Chen at the helm, I felt very confident to come back. I left knowing that someday I would come back to blackberry. And here I am, with a blackberry z30. I love 10.3 and how much android runtime has improved. I switched back from my iPhone thinking I would lose a few functionalities but nope, everything is right here for me.

Battery life, camera, screen, keyboard, smoothness of OS, android apps, and so much more.

I've had the z10 and the q10 at different times. Got the z10 sold for a galaxy and flopped back and forth between the iPhone, windows phone, HTC one, s4 to the q10 to an s4, back to the z10 and then to a q10 again. Recently got the iPhone 5 but sold it and got the z30. I've been all over with phones, and yet I keep coming back to blackberry.

Go with the z30 or get the passport, you won't be Disappointed.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 08:11 PM
    I agree...you have to get the phone that works for your needs. But seriously, its hard to beat a Z10 for a deal on EBay or Amazon, and the new 10.3 OS coming out only makes it better. I've consistently bought phones from people who are upgrading and so the late model, barely broken in phones I've been able to pick up are a great deal. Invest in a screen protector...whatever phone you use....but seriously, Blackberry is competitive with the Apple and Androids out there. Hands on using both A and A, I can tell you there is no greener grass there worth going to...its all green, you know. BB is not visible in the public marketplace since their market share has so shrank and the advertising is nonexistent. And BB doesn't provide the thousands of apps supposedly people like. But if its productivity and communication you want, they are as good as they get without compare. And like the other poster said, even if BB went belly up tomorrow, your phones will still work. Another year or so, you can upgrade because the technology changes anyway. That's assuming they will go bellyup...which on the foreseeable future is hardly the case. Think and look before you leap....
    09-30-14 08:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    What? EVEN IF they eventually decide to get out of the handset business....and that is certainly not in the immediate future.....they would do other things as a company. They have BES, etc. They have in-car systems. They would support your phone for at least as long as the typical person has it. (not sure what "support" you'd need anyway). But, really, you're going to suddenly choose some other brand just because of something you read on one of the many biased blogs? Because their bottom line is "fragile"?

I seem to recall a computer company that was near death with a small market share. I believe their name was Apple.

Could you imagine if people bought luxury cars based simply on how many other people owned a luxury car?

Tesla is selling lots of their cars despite their current bottom line situation.
    09-30-14 08:16 PM
    If you owns a macbook, maybe you will want to consider switching to iPhone.
    Just curious about the reason behind this statement. Does the Iphone work better if you own a macbook?
    CDM76, clickitykeys and bungaboy like this.
    09-30-14 08:18 PM
    . I just dont want to buy a new phone if there wont be any support. Been there done that with the playbook.

Posted via CB10
    The Playbook? They simply choose to abandon the playbook....they didn't go out of business. But they still support it. I got an update recently. Windows eventually chose to stop supporting some of it's products too...but that has nothing to do with the future of something they release today.

What does this have to do with your phone?
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-30-14 08:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    OP, don't you think you are in the wrong forum? If you are done with BlackBerry, visit the other platforms for "enthusiastic" advice.
    bungaboy and Carl Estes like this.
    09-30-14 08:50 PM
109 123 ...