The iPhone user in the household got an upgrade to the iPhone SE from the 4S just recently. The initial reports were that the SE was very similar to the 4S, except maybe messages sent a little faster. Not really worth the upgrade then! (Honestly, it was a forced decision due to Apple removing the 3.5mm jack. Thanks Apple! It will be the last iPhone ever!)
    So of course one always likes to know if it is time to upgrade. How does my trusty Z10 fare in comparison? Very well actually!

It's a touch larger than the SE, but nearly identical once the case is on. (I've rarely seen a naked iPhone whereas most of the Blackberry users I know run it naked, including me). The Z10 is noticeably heavier than the SE but quite similar to the older 4S. What does one get in return for that extra weight and size? A bigger, higher resolution, higher density screen! Also a bigger battery and longer standby time to boot! If the battery ever goes wonky or I'm away from the wall a long time, hey, I've got an external battery I can always pop in.
    The Z10 has also been supremely durable, despite running naked and having been dropped onto tile and concrete a few times, I can't find a scratch on it.
    I get just as much internal memory as the iPhone with expandable SD card as well. The processor sports a clock speed only a bit slower than the new SE (dual 1.5GHz vs 1.85GHz) and certainly seems to be capable of handling anything I need to do. Sure the camera has less pixels, but the 4S already did a fine job and nobody's complaining about my Z10 pictures either (my Z10 actually has more of the "wow" shots). Mind you, I think the Z10's face camera is doing better.

So wait, the SE has been billed as essentially a 6S stuffed into a 5S body. Until a couple month ago it was Apple's flagship phone. And yet my 3 year old Z10 is competitive (at least on paper)? Nope. It's more than competitive.

I can do anything that my iPhone user needs to do (we don't do Facebook or Whatsapp here, don't trust 'em). When the little ones reach for a phone to play with, it's my Z10. Not only for native BB games but because I can easily load up Android stuff. I've got all the games they want!
    For video watching, they also prefer the Z10 for the screen. And when we needed to do streaming video, well, the iPhone has apps, but we could not hook it up to the big screen for shared viewing. Z10 to the rescue! I loaded the Android equivalent and with a simple HDMI connection, we were watching on the TV.
    When we needed to get photos off the phone, there was a lot of messing around between the iPhone, Macbook and iTunes to get the stuff off. You got to let iTunes do things its way. On my Z10? Aaah, just copy right off it like it were another USB drive. Even my iPhone user admitted the Apple solution was more frustrating.
    When it comes to email or task management, it's always "Oh, you mean you can't do that on your iPhone?" :-)

Look, I've got iPhones here. I can afford a new one any time, but there's no way I'm going to trade my Z10 for one! In fact, I'm looking for good quality refurb ones to acquire. They're a heck of a lot cheaper than the iPhones. And yes, for the record, I've got 'droid phones here too, Nexus and Windows phones as well. Would not recommend! We did the "mom" test on the phones and the Android ranked last, by far, for intuitiveness.

Too bad! It's a wonder Blackberry wasn't able to survive with such decent hardware...
    Jrox74, Q10Bold, Hazo and 3 others like this.
    12-04-16 10:08 PM
    The iPhone user in the household got an upgrade to the iPhone SE from the 4S just recently. The initial reports were that the SE was very similar to the 4S, except maybe messages sent a little faster. Not really worth the upgrade then! (Honestly, it was a forced decision due to Apple removing the 3.5mm jack. Thanks Apple! It will be the last iPhone ever!)
    So of course one always likes to know if it is time to upgrade. How does my trusty Z10 fare in comparison? Very well actually!

It's a touch larger than the SE, but nearly identical once the case is on. (I've rarely seen a naked iPhone whereas most of the Blackberry users I know run it naked, including me). The Z10 is noticeably heavier than the SE but quite similar to the older 4S. What does one get in return for that extra weight and size? A bigger, higher resolution, higher density screen! Also a bigger battery and longer standby time to boot! If the battery ever goes wonky or I'm away from the wall a long time, hey, I've got an external battery I can always pop in.
    The Z10 has also been supremely durable, despite running naked and having been dropped onto tile and concrete a few times, I can't find a scratch on it.
    I get just as much internal memory as the iPhone with expandable SD card as well. The processor sports a clock speed only a bit slower than the new SE (dual 1.5GHz vs 1.85GHz) and certainly seems to be capable of handling anything I need to do. Sure the camera has less pixels, but the 4S already did a fine job and nobody's complaining about my Z10 pictures either (my Z10 actually has more of the "wow" shots). Mind you, I think the Z10's face camera is doing better.

So wait, the SE has been billed as essentially a 6S stuffed into a 5S body. Until a couple month ago it was Apple's flagship phone. And yet my 3 year old Z10 is competitive (at least on paper)? Nope. It's more than competitive.

I can do anything that my iPhone user needs to do (we don't do Facebook or Whatsapp here, don't trust 'em). When the little ones reach for a phone to play with, it's my Z10. Not only for native BB games but because I can easily load up Android stuff. I've got all the games they want!
    For video watching, they also prefer the Z10 for the screen. And when we needed to do streaming video, well, the iPhone has apps, but we could not hook it up to the big screen for shared viewing. Z10 to the rescue! I loaded the Android equivalent and with a simple HDMI connection, we were watching on the TV.
    When we needed to get photos off the phone, there was a lot of messing around between the iPhone, Macbook and iTunes to get the stuff off. You got to let iTunes do things its way. On my Z10? Aaah, just copy right off it like it were another USB drive. Even my iPhone user admitted the Apple solution was more frustrating.
    When it comes to email or task management, it's always "Oh, you mean you can't do that on your iPhone?" :-)

Look, I've got iPhones here. I can afford a new one any time, but there's no way I'm going to trade my Z10 for one! In fact, I'm looking for good quality refurb ones to acquire. They're a heck of a lot cheaper than the iPhones. And yes, for the record, I've got 'droid phones here too, Nexus and Windows phones as well. Would not recommend! We did the "mom" test on the phones and the Android ranked last, by far, for intuitiveness.

Too bad! It's a wonder Blackberry wasn't able to survive with such decent hardware...
    Sorry Bud but I'll take an android over an iPhone or a windows phone any day. As far as BlackBerry phones running BBOS.....i can't disagree with your assessment
    12-04-16 10:46 PM
    Z10 is indeed a little tank or panzer of a phone. Mine has been passed down to my wife since over a year ago, and she still favors it so much for all of her office and work related tasks. It's been dropped, stepped and sit on for I don't know how many times but not even a scratch on it. Unbelievably durable, quick and useful.

I use the Q10 and Z30, but even then I still miss the feel and use of Z10 from time to time.
    12-05-16 01:11 AM
    The SE is fast. And I mean really fast. I've compared it to an iphone 6 and it blew it out of the water.
    Build quality is also superb. The phone has the weight of a feather too. Great camera as well. And excellent battery life.
    The screen is garbage unfortunately. Same screen as the iPhone 5.

Z10 was a great phone, I'm surprised to see someone still using it. If it didn't have the battery life of a first generation gameboy, it may have been a better contender at the time. No one wants to carry batteries and battery packs.

Enjoy the device. If I were you I'd move on to a leap or z30 though, you won't be needing any extra battery power with those.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-16 02:26 AM
    The SE does have a headphone jack. There are a lot of things you can do with it (with pricey attachments) so that displaying via HDMI just needs an adapter. It is a very capable and modern phone and if it doesn't meet your needs then stick with a Z10 but for most people I wouldn't recommend it unless they have no need of apps and like carrying batteries.
    12-05-16 09:27 AM

I am with you on this, BlackBerry is a far superior device. Sadly I think they were always viewed as a business class device and not for average consumer.
    Then BlackBerry made poorly built curves for a bit and pissed people off. I told those people, that's not a BlackBerry device. That was an attempt at gaining iPhone users.
    Glad to read your post.

 BlackBerry AT&T Passport SQW100-3/10.3.2.2876 on AT&T
    12-05-16 09:36 AM
    The SE is fast. And I mean really fast. I've compared it to an iphone 6 and it blew it out of the water.
    Build quality is also superb. The phone has the weight of a feather too. Great camera as well. And excellent battery life.
    The screen is garbage unfortunately. Same screen as the iPhone 5.

Z10 was a great phone, I'm surprised to see someone still using it. If it didn't have the battery life of a first generation gameboy, it may have been a better contender at the time. No one wants to carry batteries and battery packs.

Enjoy the device. If I were you I'd move on to a leap or z30 though, you won't be needing any extra battery power with those.
    Posted via CB10
    How is the SE fast? I mean other than benchmarking? My iPhone usere here (non-technical) says it doesn't feel much different than the old 4S for browsing, videos, etc. As I mentioned, the only comment was that it seemed slightly faster for sending out messages. On the flip side, another comment was that the lighter SE felt slightly unbalanced when typing out messages.

We have similar usage patterns, my Z10 gets me through the day pretty easily now so I typically do not carry an extra battery, but both of us are having to charge the phones (SE and Z10) at night, so there doesn't seem to be significant gain in battery life.

We both occasionally have need for some apps, but my Z10, if it doesn't have a native app, so far I can easily load up an Android version.

I get that some people really need a lot of apps. But also from what I see, a lot of people do not and from what I can see, Z10 would be a MUCH cheaper device that could serve just as well despite its age, if only people would give it a chance

IF BB could keep up the OS, the hardware is still easily relevant, not everyone needs a flagship

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-05-16 12:54 PM
    I agree with your assessment. Z10 is still my daily driver for over 3 years. Uber durable.....no case and dropped many times... battery sometimes falls out....pop battery back in and it is good to go... not a scratch.

Battery ain't great, that is for sure, but it is swappable for those needing more juice.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-16 06:51 AM
    E-mail Check

Text Check

BBM Check

Spotify Check

Removable Battery Triple Check

My Z10 is still awesome in 2016.

Sent from my  Z10
    syclone1978 likes this.
    12-07-16 12:02 PM
    Awesome
    It's 2016 and my Z10 is still awesome-img_20161207_130456.png

Sent from my  Z10
    12-07-16 12:06 PM
    E-mail Check

Text Check

BBM Check

Spotify Check

Sent from my  Z10
    Okay... we agree that the Z10 is awesome in 2016... but what about those Islanders?

Posted via CB10
    12-07-16 02:53 PM
    Okay... we agree that the Z10 is awesome in 2016... but what about those Islanders?

Posted via CB10
    NY sports. Pain, misery and disappointment.

Sent from my  Z10
    12-07-16 05:23 PM
    No replacement for the former factor it provides plus the BlackBerry hardware which is reliable enough to get me going 3+ years... greatly built... will use it until it's live...

Eveready Z10
    12-09-16 02:58 AM
  14. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    E-mail Check

Text Check

BBM Check

Spotify Check

Sent from my  Z10
    Yeahh... right,, z10 still awsome on 2017

Posted via CB10