This Christmas my son wants a new ipod. I am thinking of weather to buy the 5th generation or the 6th. I need to know if either one can communicate back and forth with a Z10? The z10 does not have a data plan on it. I thought about getting my son a Z10 as well but then I would need to pay for a monthly texting plan.

I do not want to pay for a new data plan on the one z10 and I do not want to pay for a texting plan on the other. This would be communications between mother and son.

I think the iPhone can text the ipod back and forth through texts but I would like to keep my wife on BlackBerry as she loves her z10 as much as I do.

Any suggestions?

Big Brother Hoards Your Data, stop the hoarding.
    10-18-14 06:54 AM
    If your son would have an iPod and your wife has a Z10, the best choice for communication is BBM.

If your son has the iPod though, he would need to have a connection to WiFi to send out any messages to his mom.
    FrankIAm likes this.
    10-18-14 07:56 AM
    The ipod would have wifi connection at all times. The Z10 would not have wifi connection or a data plan.

10-18-14 08:19 AM
    You could use BBM. It's pretty cool.
    10-18-14 08:21 AM
    Is BBM available on iPod?

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 08:25 AM
    Is BBM available on iPod?

Posted via CB10
    ...yes it is, I put it on my son's for the reason given by the OP...

Posted on CB10 via my Z30....
    10-18-14 08:27 AM
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/bbm/...mt=8&at=10l3Vy

Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimised for iPhone 5.
    10-18-14 08:29 AM
    OP, you said you would get your son the iPod or possibly the Z10...

You also said your wife has the Z10, which she loves. Does she not have data on it?

Either way, if you get your son the iPod or the Z10, they just need a wifi connection in order to use BBM. If your wife doesn't have a data plan or access to wifi... that's a whole other issue.
    10-18-14 08:37 AM
    Think you could use 'Touch' messenger as well... but it's less secure and inferior in general to BBM

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 08:43 AM
    You can use any Internet texting apps like whatsapp. It's on all platforms from android to iOS to BlackBerry OS. BBM is available too on all major platforms. No need any data plans in he's on wifi at all times. Just don't forget to turn on the data from the phone or else the phone will always attempt to transfer data with his phone line (if he's registered to any phone line.
    ).
    10-18-14 09:33 AM
    Unless I missed something there is no iPod Touch 6th gen, Even though the 5th gen is a good device, my two kids each have one, it is two years old and there is no update in sight.
    10-18-14 11:03 AM
    I thought they would be coming out with a new Ipod Touch 6. From what I read it would be their last ipod touch. do they normally come out with a new ipod about this time of year?

Can Whatsapp be used without an Internet connection?

10-18-14 12:03 PM
    I have good news. I just found out that my wife has wifi at work now. My son needs a new device for YouTube as the Playbooks are showing their age and what 13 year old watches TV any more. The Z30 maybe the perfect option as the sound is awesome and I can expand to a usable cell phone when the time comes without having to buy a whole new device all over again.

The added benefit is that the Z30 will be coming out with regular updates to keep the device current. The Playbooks were great for the first 2 years but they have become frustrating to use with YouTube and many other sites.

With a few bbm sticker packages he may end up using bbm more than any other messaging system. That is only if I am able to give him the bbm sticker packages as a gift. I would not want to put my credit card number on his BlackBerry.

10-18-14 12:27 PM
    I thought they would be coming out with a new Ipod Touch 6. From what I read it would be their last ipod touch. do they normally come out with a new ipod about this time of year?

Can Whatsapp be used without an Internet connection?

You need internet whether from wifi or the phone line. Also you need to register with a working number. Upon installing it will send an sms to the number for registration.
    10-18-14 04:18 PM