Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 269
Like Tree342Likes
  1. Mister Sir's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    420 Posts
    Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default An iPhone 5 user's experience with the BB Z10

    I know this is my first post and some of you may think I'm here to troll, but I can assure you that I am not.

    I like many others, was excited about the release of the Z10. I read many reviews, watched many videos and lurked on forums until I finally bit the bullet and purchased it yesterday. Prior to this, I have owned the iphone 3G, 4, and currently the 5. I knew what I was getting into. I know the apps were going to be lacking. My main reason for the Z10 was for the "better" keyboard as well as the ease of transferring media files back and forth between phone and computer.

    Upon handling the device for the first time, I was happy. I liked the feel, the size, the weight. The battery door felt a bit cheap but the advantage was that it didn't seem like it would scuff easily, so no need for a case! As I start playing with the device, this is where it all goes downhill.

    1) The keyboard is not much of an improvement over the iphone keyboard. I like the fact that words pop up automatically. However, I still found I was hitting the wrong letters on the keyboard just as much as the iphone 5. I thought I would have a better typing experience with the keyboard, but I wasn't.

    2) The horrible apps selection. I use a lot of iphone apps on a daily basis. They make my life easier. I sideloaded some Android apps. They ran, albeit a tad slower. This is understandable as they aren't native apps.

    3) Blackberry Maps. I didn't think it was possible to make a map program worse than Apple Maps, but BB takes the cake. First, it took 10 mins just to acquire a GPS signal. Secondly, some of the routes the device suggested was just ridiculous. And the UI is horribly ugly. This right here was a deal breaker for me.

    4) Blackberry Hub. It might just be me, but I actually don't like a hub. This is just my personal preference. I prefer everything separate as opposed to all messages lumped together. I know you can filter by accounts but when I swipe over, and intially see the hub full of different messages, to me it becomes messy and cluttered.

    5) Lousy internal memory. I thought about this. If I wanted to bring it up to 64gb, I would have to shell out another $50 for a decent MicroSD card. Tack that onto the price of the phone, the admin fee Rogers charges, taxes, etc...

    In the end, I decided that the Z10 didn't have enough to overtake my iphone 5, so I returned it. Had I kept it, for me personally, it would feel like I was downgrading my phone. I love how fast the BB browser is, I like the OS, but until they get better apps and fix their navigation software, I think I'll stick to the iphone 5 for now.

    I hope the next gen BB will address some of these issues. If that's the case, I'll certainly consider looking at the device. I am just looking for an excuse to get rid of my iphone, but unfortunately the Z10 falls short of doing that...at this current moment.
    Thanked by 11:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    atrpm (02-13-2013),  backfire101 (02-12-2013),  Coachbulldog (02-14-2013),  KatKatKatina (02-12-2013),  lobitomalo (02-14-2013),  manwin (02-13-2013),  phylez (02-12-2013),  srully80 (02-12-2013),  zeteo (02-12-2013) 
  2. RoccoI's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    92 Posts
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    LOL. I flushed my iphone 5 down the toilet.
    Thanked by 3:
    Gelzz (02-14-2013),  jarrodmeyer (02-12-2013),  sydsam (02-18-2013) 
  3. howarmat's Avatar

    Posts
    23,615 Posts
    Global Posts
    24,188 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39
    #3  

    Default Re: An iPhone 5 user's experience with the BB Z10

    I will only talk about number 5. To get an iphone with 64 gb memory would cost more than the memory card for the z10

    The rest is more about user preference.
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    Thanked by 16:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    android2bb10 (02-12-2013),  antiRIM (02-12-2013),  antonnin (02-13-2013),  Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes (02-12-2013),  ddlax22 (02-12-2013),  Gelzz (02-14-2013),  jarrodmeyer (02-12-2013),  jdhooghe (02-12-2013),  Jeovex (02-13-2013),  KatKatKatina (02-12-2013),  kcmagnet (02-12-2013),  manwin (02-13-2013),  omega supreme (02-13-2013),  parkinfly (02-12-2013),  sheeraz_aa (02-12-2013),  wing2299 (02-12-2013) 
  4. mrzeolite's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    41 Posts
    #4  

    Default

    My only question is: what we're you hoping to accomplish by posting this? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong but you used the phone for a day. That's hardly enough time for keyboard software to acclimate to your typing style. The other gripes could have been addressed by 15 or so minutes of research.
    Thanked by 11:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    3hb78ftg (02-13-2013),  footmatix (02-13-2013),  Gelzz (02-14-2013),  jarrodmeyer (02-12-2013),  Jeovex (02-13-2013),  miketko (02-12-2013),  Omar Diamond (02-18-2013),  QaMaR Salim (02-13-2013),  ricocan (02-14-2013),  Shadowyugi (02-14-2013),  sheeraz_aa (02-14-2013) 
    jelp2, Gelzz, RADEoN1337 and 12 others like this.
  5. Whitecaps's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    378 Posts
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    I wonder what iOS7 will bring to the table..... heard rumours about additions to widgets and stuffs..
    steff2632 likes this.
  6. DatMisterB's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    254 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Apple maps wasn't bad, it was dangerous.
    Thanked by 3:
    footmatix (02-13-2013),  bendirkss (02-12-2013),  Jeovex (02-13-2013) 
  7. Dimitri.69's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    900 Posts
    Global Posts
    902 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Sir View Post
    I know this is my first post and some of you may think I'm here to troll, but I can assure you that I am not.

    I like many others, was excited about the release of the Z10. I read many reviews, watched many videos and lurked on forums until I finally bit the bullet and purchased it yesterday. Prior to this, I have owned the iphone 3G, 4, and currently the 5. I knew what I was getting into. I know the apps were going to be lacking. My main reason for the Z10 was for the "better" keyboard as well as the ease of transferring media files back and forth between phone and computer.

    Upon handling the device for the first time, I was happy. I liked the feel, the size, the weight. The battery door felt a bit cheap but the advantage was that it didn't seem like it would scuff easily, so no need for a case! As I start playing with the device, this is where it all goes downhill.

    1) The keyboard is not much of an improvement over the iphone keyboard. I like the fact that words pop up automatically. However, I still found I was hitting the wrong letters on the keyboard just as much as the iphone 5. I thought I would have a better typing experience with the keyboard, but I wasn't.

    2) The horrible apps selection. I use a lot of iphone apps on a daily basis. They make my life easier. I sideloaded some Android apps. They ran, albeit a tad slower. This is understandable as they aren't native apps.

    3) Blackberry Maps. I didn't think it was possible to make a map program worse than Apple Maps, but BB takes the cake. First, it took 10 mins just to acquire a GPS signal. Secondly, some of the routes the device suggested was just ridiculous. And the UI is horribly ugly. This right here was a deal breaker for me.

    4) Blackberry Hub. It might just be me, but I actually don't like a hub. This is just my personal preference. I prefer everything separate as opposed to all messages lumped together. I know you can filter by accounts but when I swipe over, and intially see the hub full of different messages, to me it becomes messy and cluttered.

    5) Lousy internal memory. I thought about this. If I wanted to bring it up to 64gb, I would have to shell out another $50 for a decent MicroSD card. Tack that onto the price of the phone, the admin fee Rogers charges, taxes, etc...

    In the end, I decided that the Z10 didn't have enough to overtake my iphone 5, so I returned it. Had I kept it, for me personally, it would feel like I was downgrading my phone. I love how fast the BB browser is, I like the OS, but until they get better apps and fix their navigation software, I think I'll stick to the iphone 5 for now.

    I hope the next gen BB will address some of these issues. If that's the case, I'll certainly consider looking at the device. I am just looking for an excuse to get rid of my iphone, but unfortunately the Z10 falls short of doing that...at this current moment.
    I am not going to go into this BUT i will just say that you complain about the maps? Did not Apple claim the Apple maps are the best? Yet got people lost & the maps looked like ****. They fired the person who made them & yea. The apps are not what everone needs. Get over that. You do not need every single app. If you want the apps you want, speak to the developer. Its not BlackBerries fault here.

    Do not get me started lol
    Thanked by 2:
    Gelzz (02-14-2013),  Keith Atkinson (02-20-2013) 
    Gelzz, sbx9900 and heppyX like this.
  8. FranzJoseph's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    343 Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Lol it you wanted a 64 gb iphone you would have to pay over 200$ more for that instead of just 50...
    Thanked by:
    Gelzz (02-14-2013) 
    Gelzz, meganVee, r0v3rT3N and 5 others like this.
  9. DivideBYZero's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    765 Posts
    Global Posts
    766 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Hay Gize,

    I'm not trolling and stuff (lulz), but here is a list of stuff I hate about that new BlackBerry you've been waiting years for. Enjoy!

    /trollface
    ^ What I read.
  10. scrannel's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,262 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,276 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Valid post, but I think the fear of the unfamiliar (plus whatever limited time to return) made the user return.
    Thanked by 3:
    android2bb10 (02-12-2013),  Gelzz (02-14-2013),  jertell (02-12-2013) 
    jelp2, Gelzz and sbx9900 like this.
  11. Whitecaps's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    378 Posts
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    anyone else finds 16gb to be sufficient?
  12. Dimitri.69's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    900 Posts
    Global Posts
    902 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitecaps View Post
    anyone else finds 16gb to be sufficient?
    Well i use my 8GB memory card for music & phones. The 12.5GB left on the phone is for Videos or pictures i take with the phone. I will be getting a 32GB memory card soon tho.
  13. BB10FTW's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    303 Posts
    PIN
    2973C0E8
    #13  

    Default

    The one thing that I will say that BlackBerry got right over Apple was not to tote your new "Maps" or "Siri" application like they are the the biggest and best features.

    BlackBerry is at least showcasing the things they do best. Besides Google Maps works pretty well in the browser. It shows up with an App interface so it's easy to use. I will use that until an actual application is released. Let's face it though, no one even comes close to Google when it comes to mapping. Microsoft is the next best option but Google is still supreme.

    Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
  14. Chaddface's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,513 Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    I will only talk about number 5. To get an iphone with 64 gb memory would cost more than the memory card for the z10

    The rest is more about user preference.
    I would also add, given the choice I would rather have a removable card then fixed memory.

    OP- Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts in a constructive manner.
    It sounds as if there were more apps(maps included) you would have made the switch.
    Thanked by:
    wing2299 (02-12-2013) 
    phylez, ppeters914, Drayk and 2 others like this.
  15. DivideBYZero's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    765 Posts
    Global Posts
    766 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitecaps View Post
    anyone else finds 16gb to be sufficient?
    Meh, 64Gb SDXC cards are cheap. I have 80Gb of storage in my Z10 before you consider the box.com and Dropbox integration.
  16. zaki67's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #16  

    Default Re: An iPhone 5 user's experience with the BB Z10

    Thank you for your post.
    I did keep my Z10 and I also liked the feel of the phone very much.
    And I also side loaded some android applications and some of the ones I relied on a lot are not available.
    Problem is that even though I like the phone a lot I do not find that it gives me any advantage over iphone or Android. I am sacrificing the applications and the widgets and the truth is I can't find a real edge that the Z10 has. Even the battery is not that good compared to the Nexus 4 which the Z10 will replace.
    Still for no logical reason I am keeping it.
    nzimmon likes this.
  17. kbz1960's Avatar
    Doesn't Matter

    Posts
    65,052 Posts
    Global Posts
    65,207 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Heck if that's all that is wrong with it I'll be happy.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    Thanked by:
    BlackStormRising (02-13-2013) 
    Mr.Monty likes this.
  18. dracolnyte's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,044 Posts
    #18  

    Default

    i ditched my iPhone 5 as soon as the Z10 came out and I never looked back.
    1) I definitely found the Z10 keyboard better. First of all, bigger screen = bigger keys and they are all optimized because there are no spaces between them like the iphone does.

    and lol at 5), dont know if srs or just trolling
    Bold 9000 -> iPhone 5 -> White Z10
    Playbook 16GB
    Thanked by 2:
    bitek (02-12-2013),  Gelzz (02-14-2013) 
    Gelzz, meganVee, sbx9900 and 2 others like this.
  19. 7asonology's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    4 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Sir View Post
    I know this is my first post and some of you may think I'm here to troll, but I can assure you that I am not.

    I like many others, was excited about the release of the Z10. I read many reviews, watched many videos and lurked on forums until I finally bit the bullet and purchased it yesterday. Prior to this, I have owned the iphone 3G, 4, and currently the 5. I knew what I was getting into. I know the apps were going to be lacking. My main reason for the Z10 was for the "better" keyboard as well as the ease of transferring media files back and forth between phone and computer.

    Upon handling the device for the first time, I was happy. I liked the feel, the size, the weight. The battery door felt a bit cheap but the advantage was that it didn't seem like it would scuff easily, so no need for a case! As I start playing with the device, this is where it all goes downhill.

    1) The keyboard is not much of an improvement over the iphone keyboard. I like the fact that words pop up automatically. However, I still found I was hitting the wrong letters on the keyboard just as much as the iphone 5. I thought I would have a better typing experience with the keyboard, but I wasn't.

    2) The horrible apps selection. I use a lot of iphone apps on a daily basis. They make my life easier. I sideloaded some Android apps. They ran, albeit a tad slower. This is understandable as they aren't native apps.

    3) Blackberry Maps. I didn't think it was possible to make a map program worse than Apple Maps, but BB takes the cake. First, it took 10 mins just to acquire a GPS signal. Secondly, some of the routes the device suggested was just ridiculous. And the UI is horribly ugly. This right here was a deal breaker for me.

    4) Blackberry Hub. It might just be me, but I actually don't like a hub. This is just my personal preference. I prefer everything separate as opposed to all messages lumped together. I know you can filter by accounts but when I swipe over, and intially see the hub full of different messages, to me it becomes messy and cluttered.

    5) Lousy internal memory. I thought about this. If I wanted to bring it up to 64gb, I would have to shell out another $50 for a decent MicroSD card. Tack that onto the price of the phone, the admin fee Rogers charges, taxes, etc...

    In the end, I decided that the Z10 didn't have enough to overtake my iphone 5, so I returned it. Had I kept it, for me personally, it would feel like I was downgrading my phone. I love how fast the BB browser is, I like the OS, but until they get better apps and fix their navigation software, I think I'll stick to the iphone 5 for now.

    I hope the next gen BB will address some of these issues. If that's the case, I'll certainly consider looking at the device. I am just looking for an excuse to get rid of my iphone, but unfortunately the Z10 falls short of doing that...at this current moment.
    You are 100% right.
    I'm so disappointed and going to sell the Z10
  20. Dimitri.69's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    900 Posts
    Global Posts
    902 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 7asonology View Post
    You are 100% right.
    I'm so disappointed and going to sell the Z10
    Your choice & i hope you find the right phone for you BUT do not regret it later!.
    Gelzz likes this.
  21. j8298c's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #21  

    Default

    Thanks for the insight about blackberry os10 and iPhone 5 just sucks you can post your opinion without people going all nuts in defense and really the guy who posted who needs an app really guy really that's what your going to say if that's the case blackberry would still be on top apparently the masses have spoken and its apps they want without apps u might as well just get a regular flip phone with a browser but yea an extra 64gb for 50 I would def do that all day it's about 200 with apple well I'm hoping by the time it's gets to America it will at least have some good apps and not ones I have to borrow from android cause to me that's just sad I want native apps that are built to run on the os not some emulation software and some decent banking apps so I can keep depositing money into a checking account with my phone camera try that on a mobile site and tell me how it works for you mister I don't need any apps that's just plain ignorance and worse is no one here even says it to him cause lets be honest everyone who loves a blackberry cringes when your iOS friends opens up some really cool app
    Thanked by 2:
    Gelzz (02-14-2013),  orientalcowboy (02-12-2013) 
    Gelzz likes this.
  22. dbmalloy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,590 Posts
    #22  

    Default

    If you start a post stating you do not want to sound like a troll and have one whole post... then guess what the majority are going to think... as others have stated..."what is the point".... it is great to have an opinion and experss it but ask yourself how does it add to the conversation so to speak.... again I use an Iphone for work.... having played with my neighors 10z for a weekend I could easily reverse the OP in favor of BB10z...... what would be the point.... this is the problem of doing opinion pieces only and not offering what maybe could help the shortcomings you may find in their use.... finally ... the OP is going form a mature 6 year old OS he is use to using to a new and untested OS....... amazing what expectations people have....i would need to use a device for a good month or two before assessing a new device..... for me I have no interest in upgrading... My 9800 and Playbook do me great and outside of the z10 being new and different... I see no reason for me to switch.....
  23. Dimitri.69's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    900 Posts
    Global Posts
    902 Global Posts
    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j8298c View Post
    Thanks for the insight about blackberry os10 and iPhone 5 just sucks you can post your opinion without people going all nuts in defense and really the guy who posted who needs an app really guy really that's what your going to say if that's the case blackberry would still be on top apparently the masses have spoken and its apps they want without apps u might as well just get a regular flip phone with a browser but yea an extra 64gb for 50 I would def do that all day it's about 200 with apple well I'm hoping by the time it's gets to America it will at least have some good apps and not ones I have to borrow from android cause to me that's just sad I want native apps that are built to run on the os not some emulation software and some decent banking apps so I can keep depositing money into a checking account with my phone camera try that on a mobile site and tell me how it works for you mister I don't need any apps that's just plain ignorance and worse is no one here even says it to him cause lets be honest everyone who loves a blackberry cringes when your iOS friends opens up some really cool app
    Not to be a ***, but use some periods & commas in your paragraph. Its hard to even understand or read this to be honest.
    Thanked by 13:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    android2bb10 (02-12-2013),  Blue Shift (02-12-2013),  Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes (02-12-2013),  DirtySantos (02-17-2013),  Jeovex (02-13-2013),  KidCaboose (02-13-2013),  mrzeolite (02-12-2013),  pmccartney (02-13-2013),  ppeters914 (02-13-2013),  SCPanther13 (02-12-2013),  sullibr01 (02-14-2013),  theonecid (02-12-2013),  trynacu2 (02-13-2013) 
  24. j8298c's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Correct me if I'm wrong but how long has blackberry been making phones and operating systems for their phones this is only the 6 iteration of iOS and here's blackberry on their 10th iteration plus how long has the play book been out with qnx so why should it be unfair when they're compared to what's on the market right now when they're one of the oldest companies out their they honestly have NO ONE to blame for themselves sure iphone made apps huge but google came right behind and did the same blackberry was the cream of the crop back then so what happened
  25. j8298c's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Sorry I'm not writing a term paper or anything it's a post get over it
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. An iPhone user's take on the BB10 event.
    By eyecannibal in forum BlackBerry Z10
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-31-2013, 02:48 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-31-2013, 02:38 PM
  3. thoughts on the blackberry torch from an iphone user and BB newb
    By fernandez21 in forum BlackBerry Torch 9800
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-15-2010, 09:47 PM
  4. After my second experience with the Storm, I'm getting an Iphone.
    By blair.harrington in forum BlackBerry Storm
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-22-2008, 10:17 PM
  5. BlackBerry vs iPhone: Business Users More Happy With the iPhone??
    By AZA43 in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-05-2008, 02:58 PM

Posting Permissions