Thanks for the interesting post. In our house, we have used iphones, android devices, blackberries including the new Z10 and Playbook. We have had serious issues backing up and syncing one of our iphones. (Type it in Google. We are not alone). We also have had hardware issues with our sole HTC Android. Unlike you, I haven't experienced problems backing up my Z10. I don't doubt there will be bugs with the Z10, but the phone was only released a month ago. As the user base grows, the more the issues will brought to light and fixed, just like every other evolution of hardware.
    Last edited by thewison; 03-05-13 at 08:20 PM.
    03-05-13 07:56 PM
    Yeah i backup and restore perfectly media settings everything,hmm wonder whats up with yours

Posted via CB10
    03-05-13 10:21 PM
    Yeah i backup and restore perfectly media settings everything,hmm wonder whats up with yours

Posted via CB10
    I sent many, many logs to Waterloo as part of troubleshooting this. They were 100% confident on the root cause of the problem. But they couldn't hazard a guess as to what application is causing the problem.

Before I upgrade the OS, I'll delete a bunch of them and see if that works.
    03-05-13 10:24 PM
    Thanks for the interesting post. In our house, we have used iphones, android devices, blackberries including the new Z10 and Playbook. We have had serious issues backing up and syncing one of our iphones. (Type it in Google. We are not alone). We also have had hardware issues with our sole HTC Android. Unlike you, I haven't experienced problems backing up my Z10. I don't doubt there will be bugs with the Z10, but the phone was only released a month ago. As the user base grows, the more the issues will brought to light and fixed, just like every other evolution of hardware.
    Don't disagree, which is why I am holding on to the Z10 and not selling it. There's tremendous potential in the device and the OS. And yes, it is a first generation so there will be some glitches.

But... the first generation excuse is just that: an excuse. The mass consumer doesn't care about the fact that BB can't reasonably be expected to release flawless. What they want is something that works. The simpler the better. Can BlackBerry make BB10 successful? They sure can, but they absolutely must keep up the pace. They have to be making improvements month after month to the operating system, otherwise the promise of BB10 remains just that: a promise.

You just can't get away from the fact that they are soooo far behind their competition. And their R&D funds are puny compared to their competition. They're at a huge disadvantage and can't afford to be complacent for even a moment. That's where I'm disappointed, that ultimately support just shrugged their shoulders and said "that's as good as it gets".

No system is perfect. I've had issues with my Apple devices over time, some of them significant (the iTunes 11 upgrade wiped the library on one of my Macs). But what you must give Apple credit for is that they fix it. I too had backup issues with all my iOS devices. For a few weeks. Then a fix rolled out (quietly, always quietly with Apple) and voila, everything worked perfectly again. More than anything else, THAT is what BlackBerry needs to be doing, now that BB10 is out and in the wild.
    03-05-13 10:32 PM
    Ahhhhhh! We are back in business.

Took the Z10 out of the desk drawer and charged it up this week. Right off the hop I was offered the software update. This is what I've been waiting for. Won't solve my backup issues, but it was supposed to solve my iCloud problems.

I should point out my Z10's current status:
    Unlocked
    Inactive Rogers SIM card inserted
    Connected to my home wifi

The install went smoothly. No issues.

I deleted all my wife's accounts off of it, and started to add my own. I started with my iCloud account: mail, calendar, contacts. Previously the mail and contacts worked, but not the calendar. In my iCloud account, I have several calendars, all for different purposes.

Well, on the first shot it failed. It managed to add only my e-mail. Hmmmm. Part of the fix was to give you the ability to try it more than once every 24 hours. So I went into advanced and tried adding the CalDAV and CardDAV individually.

IT WORKED!

Yes, it would seem BBRY actually fixed the issue for realsies. Well done BB.

Immediately the Z10 has started seducing me. I've been using an iPhone 5 for a few weeks now. It gave me a larger screen than the 4S. The 5 isn't as big as the Z10, but it took some of the sting away of giving up the Z10's beautiful display.

Here's a rundown of what I like about the Z10 and what I don't like, compared to the iOS platform (these comments apply to all applications of iOS, I have had every generation of phone from 3GS and iPad from the start).

* Damn it's pretty. The interface I mean. BB has done a great job of using the screen real estate.
    * Damn it's pretty. The fonts and how information is laid out it elegant in a way I used to describe iPhone.
    * The keyboard. Pure awesome sauce. I totally missed my flick typing, and the iPhone keyboard and autocorrect still generates frustration.
    * The Hub. Missed that too being back in the land of iOS. I found myself using notification center a bit more than I used to, but it's not the same.
    * Ease of unlocking. I ordered a code from Crackberry. I received the code and entered it the following day. Done! Try that with an iPhone - not happening. You can carrier unlock in Canada but you have to pay out the subsidy and it still has to be in their system and, and, and. Or you pony up the top $ and buy it unlocked from the start, which is what I did with the iPhone 5.

Dislikes:
    * Editing text is no where near as easy as it is in iOS. Tapping and re-positioning the cursor is an exercise in frustration with the Z10 compared to iPhone.
    * No shortcut to move through a list of e-mail messages. Seriously, no next and prev buttons? Every smartphone I've ever had (old BB's included) had that.
    * App selection. It seems to be coming along well, but there are many, many miles to go. I think the future direction has to be getting poorly ported (or poorly written) Android apps replaced with BB specific apps.
    * Anything to do with media. Loading is slooooow and painful. The Apple kool-aid world does a much better job of managing media across multiple devices.
    * Being outside a single ecosystem. Yup, this is the biggest barrier, now that the phone works. Being all Apple (desktop, laptop, iPhones, iPads, Apple TV) means that any media, any app, is available on any device, and in some cases appears there automatically (however I want it to happen). This will continue to be tough for BlackBerry to overcome. The new BlackBerry world is a great start, but the quality of content is a bit lacking. For example, movies are not HD. Why would I buy a movie that doesn't scale up to 1080p with 5.1 sound, at the same price as one that does (Blu-Ray or iTunes)?
    * Messaging - ecosystem: Again, it's an ecosystem issue. If I'm at work, I have my iPad with me, and chat using Messenger. When I leave work, or I'm at lunch or a coffee break, the conversations continue on my iPhone, uninterrupted, no worrying about what device I am using. When I get home, I'm on a Mac and the conversations continue there too. Having an odd device like the Z10 means I miss messages. Without my wife on a BB, it isn't worth giving up on the Macs and iPads yet.

Gray area:
    * Reliability. I need a phone that just works. All the time. Every time. When I switched back to iPhone I felt relief because I knew things would just work as functioned and I could get back to being productive. BB has fixed at least one of the major problems I had in that regard. So they're headed in the right direction. But getting that level of reliability is a continuous exercise.

On a related note, I have a friend that decided to go Galaxy S3 instead of BB10. When I asked him how he liked it after a week he said he did like it. He said it had all the apps he had on his iPhone but two of them just freeze and hang all the time. How can you like that? I don't get the Android thing. All evidence points to BlackBerry working hard to get that top level reliability and stay there. But freezing and crashing apps is pretty par for the course for Android. And upgrades are model specific, and they cut off devices at a certain point. Yikes!

So, I am very heartened by BB's progress and I'll be using the Z10 regularly at home on wifi. Keep it going BlackBerry. You aren't ready to fight for a number two spot yet, but it's looking like number three should be yours! And if you keep improving at this pace, I'd say you'll be there within a couple of years.

In the mean time, I'm glad I get to use my Z10 again, even in a limited capacity!
    03-13-13 07:40 PM
    I'd be fine if BlackBerry ignores the US market forever. Just withdraw and concentrate on the emerging markets. The US is so yesterday. It's in collapse along with Europe. If the phone is not sold here (in the states) it won't get bad press. And the smarter more aggressive (not lazy) people of the world will appreciate a phone made for business not gaming and watching TV.
    Grow up. If the US catches a cold Canada catches pneumonia! Stay in your little world. Your greatest accomplishment is being North of the US!
    03-13-13 10:19 PM
    Grow up. If the US catches a cold Canada catches pneumonia! Stay in your little world. Your greatest accomplishment is being North of the US!
    Muricans sure is touchy.
    03-14-13 05:01 PM
    Took the Z10 out of the desk drawer and charged it up this week. Right off the hop I was offered the software update. This is what I've been waiting for. Won't solve my backup issues, but it was supposed to solve my iCloud problems.
    Try deleting one of these if you have them:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ack-up-782675/

I had a big problem with backing up too so I did what you would not (no choice I guess, lol). I hope this works and gets you going a bit further with your Z10. Love this thread btw.
    03-16-13 09:09 PM
    Try deleting one of these if you have them:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ack-up-782675/

I had a big problem with backing up too so I did what you would not (no choice I guess, lol). I hope this works and gets you going a bit further with your Z10. Love this thread btw.

Hmmm, I have N4BB. I'll take a shot at deleting one at a time this weekend until I reach success. Thanks for the thread link!
    DJRikko likes this.
    03-19-13 10:20 PM
    Great great great read! Really satisfying to read some in-depth thoughts etc about the Z10 from a Apple user, I'm amazed, thanks man!
    03-20-13 11:36 AM
    Muricans sure is touchy.
    Says the person jumping in to insert his two cents when the conversation didn't involve him... ;-)
    03-20-13 12:06 PM
    This is a great thread. Thanks for sharing your experience!
    03-21-13 11:45 AM
    Just did the same recently. Used the z10 unlocked for a week, came from an iPhone 4, back to the iPhone 4. z10 does alot of things well just is lacking in alot of areas too, to be expected for a new OS but still comes down to every day usage. Will miss the Hub,gorgeous screen, and fluidity and the look honestly its gorgeous. Won't miss battery life and lack of apps/quality of apps it has. The 4 I got recently for 200, and the price gap of the two just didn't make sense for me(600 was able to return it thankfully). Definitely interested to see what they do with it and if a native spotify app comes to play I would definitely consider using it again.
    03-25-13 12:07 AM
    Hmmm, I have N4BB. I'll take a shot at deleting one at a time this weekend until I reach success. Thanks for the thread link!
    Yup, N4BB was the culprit. Deleted it, and backup worked on the first shot.

I also managed to transfer my entire iTunes library over to the Z10. The DRM nonsense still sucks between ecosystems, but I blame the studios more than mobile device manufacturers.

The studios have also started into this Ultraviolet malarky. When you buy a Blu-Ray the digital copy isn't a Windows or Mac copy any more, it's an Ultraviolet copy, which needs to be viewed via a specific mobile app player. Which one depends on which one the studio has a deal with. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Why do they make it much, much, much easier to go and download a pirated copy, or even to rip a copy from DVD rather than stay on the 'legitimate' path. Putting greed before the needs and wants of their consumers. This is going to backfire on them.
    03-27-13 03:54 PM
    Yup, N4BB was the culprit. Deleted it, and backup worked on the first shot.

I also managed to transfer my entire iTunes library over to the Z10. The DRM nonsense still sucks between ecosystems, but I blame the studios more than mobile device manufacturers.

The studios have also started into this Ultraviolet malarky. When you buy a Blu-Ray the digital copy isn't a Windows or Mac copy any more, it's an Ultraviolet copy, which needs to be viewed via a specific mobile app player. Which one depends on which one the studio has a deal with. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Why do they make it much, much, much easier to go and download a pirated copy, or even to rip a copy from DVD rather than stay on the 'legitimate' path. Putting greed before the needs and wants of their consumers. This is going to backfire on them.
    I'm glad the backup worked. At least I know that my trial and error/forum hunting helped you!

Anything else to report?
    03-28-13 09:53 PM
    This is one of the few Z10 threads I've read all the way through without getting impatient with all the mudslinging. Great, objective report. I'm still using an iPhone 5...and like the smoothness of the OS operation, the sheer reliability of it, as well as its simplicity. But...I still have a warm place in my heart for all things BlackBerry and want RIM to come back and succeed. So...I'm looking with great curiosity at the Z10. Frankly, I'm not totally convinced to give up my security iBlanket yet for a totally new OS and a package that still seems less than totally polished & complete...but with every realistic, constructive & well thought out comparative review and report...I'm getting closer to jumping back to BlackBerry.
    03-29-13 07:25 AM
    This is one of the few Z10 threads I've read all the way through without getting impatient with all the mudslinging. Great, objective report. I'm still using an iPhone 5...and like the smoothness of the OS operation, the sheer reliability of it, as well as its simplicity. But...I still have a warm place in my heart for all things BlackBerry and want RIM to come back and succeed. So...I'm looking with great curiosity at the Z10. Frankly, I'm not totally convinced to give up my security iBlanket yet for a totally new OS and a package that still seems less than totally polished & complete...but with every realistic, constructive & well thought out comparative review and report...I'm getting closer to jumping back to BlackBerry.
    Ahh, but if you want security (pun intended) then you want to throw your iPhone away as far as you can and come back to BlackBerry!
    03-29-13 07:35 AM
    Ahh, but if you want security (pun intended) then you want to throw your iPhone away as far as you can and come back to BlackBerry!
    There is no real security any more...no matter how BB owners want to believe there is.

Really, the question I have to firmly answer to myself is "what is there really to gain from my switch?". I'm not up for an upgrade, meaning that I will either have to plop down $600+ for the phone, or open a new line on my account...which will let me get the device for $199, BUT will cost me an additional $40moX24months ($960) for the priviledge of owning the new Z10. My iPhone 5 does what it does simply, easily, fluidly...all a bit boring I'll admit...but it serves me well, and I have yet to see where the BlackBerry will really make my life easier to the tune of what I will have to invest at this point. I'm not slamming the BB at all...I think it's great...but it's simply a great platform for RIM to build upon, not at all the polished product that Apple and some others produce at the present. With time, and a next generation model that will certainly follow it will get to be that...but it's not right now. Far from a 1.0 device, but IMHO RIM should have been a lot more forward thinking as to what is included on the phone that BB users cherished from their Legacy devices, and also included some things that have become almost expected on modern smartphones today.

But...all that being as it is, with my historical bent toward obsessing on new mobile devices...it wouldn't shock me at all to find myself pulling the trigger on a new Verizon BlackBerry Z10 before long. We'll see...

Deep inside I am, and will always be...a Crackberry.
    tusilal likes this.
    03-29-13 09:42 AM
    well said @davistld01 - echoed my sentiments exactly! I too would love to be able to come back to BBRY but I am not due for an upgrade till August. I have become accustomed to things just working without needing me to accommodate for any OS/app shortfalls. I know that some folks will say otherwise but for me, until the change is seamless or doesn't affect how I work/bank/socialize/read news, the negatives far outweigh the positive.
    03-29-13 09:49 AM
    well said @davistld01 - echoed my sentiments exactly! I too would love to be able to come back to BBRY but I am not due for an upgrade till August. I have become accustomed to things just working without needing me to accommodate for any OS/app shortfalls. I know that some folks will say otherwise but for me, until the change is seamless or doesn't affect how I work/bank/socialize/read news, the negatives far outweigh the positive.
    Well, I'm pretty well known here and on another large mobile forum for jumping back and forth between BB & iPhone for years...and I did until I just couldn't justify the BB's weaknesses any more. But, everytime I see a 9900/9700/9000, I get a warm feeling. I still love BlackBerry, actually more than I ever have the iPhone. Matter of fact, the iPhone doesn't have much "personality" at all...and I'm far from an Apple iSheep that blindly loves all things Mac. But...I use what works, right out of the box. So far...it doesn't seem like the Z10 does, at least not 100%.

Will it, yes...just not sure I'm patient enough to wait.
    03-29-13 12:46 PM
    Well, I'm pretty well known here and on another large mobile forum for jumping back and forth between BB & iPhone for years...and I did until I just couldn't justify the BB's weaknesses any more. But, everytime I see a 9900/9700/9000, I get a warm feeling. I still love BlackBerry, actually more than I ever have the iPhone. Matter of fact, the iPhone doesn't have much "personality" at all...and I'm far from an Apple iSheep that blindly loves all things Mac. But...I use what works, right out of the box. So far...it doesn't seem like the Z10 does, at least not 100%.

Will it, yes...just not sure I'm patient enough to wait.
    See what 10.1 brings. Hopefully a lot of major issues will be resolved in that update, fingers crossed for my own sake.
    03-31-13 03:55 PM
    See what 10.1 brings. Hopefully a lot of major issues will be resolved in that update, fingers crossed for my own sake.
    That's what I'm hoping for. If I can justify spending the $$$ to switch then I will. But if I need to wait another year for the missing important functions, features & apps to catch up to the competition...I can do that too.

Come on, RIM...make me have no choice but to drop my iPhone for the Z10!! You can do it!
    03-31-13 08:10 PM
    Hey, RoverSpitfire...since you have both an iPhone 5 & Z10...how different is the volume & clarity of the earpiece speaker of Z10 as compared to the iPhone? Not trying to hijack the thread...but that is a HUGE DEALBREAKER for me...probably the biggest, in jumping from my iPhone to the BB.

Thanks!
    03-31-13 08:17 PM
    Hey, RoverSpitfire...since you have both an iPhone 5 & Z10...how different is the volume & clarity of the earpiece speaker of Z10 as compared to the iPhone? Not trying to hijack the thread...but that is a HUGE DEALBREAKER for me...probably the biggest, in jumping from my iPhone to the BB.

Thanks!
    No worries. If I'm honest, I'm not big voice guy. And when I do use it for voice, it's usually via the inegrated bluetooth in my vehicle.

That said, I have actually used both the iPhone 5 and the Z10. I'd heard that the speaker on the Z10 was too quiet, but I never found that. I tried it in a busy mall, I tried it on the screet. I was always able to hear clearly with the Z10. Keep in mind everyone's ears are different so YMMV.
    04-02-13 03:24 PM
    Anyone know if BB has fixed the issue of: if you send an email from your icloud account the email shows up scrambled. I heard this was a known issue but I was not sure if it has been fixed yet. Is anyone else having this issue?

This is the only reason I am holding out for before buying the Z10, because I send a bunch of emails out throughout the day and I cant have that issue happen. I am hoping there is a fix already.
    04-20-13 05:27 PM
160 ... 4567