Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
Like Tree42Likes
  1. GrognardGames's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    44 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default iOS to My First BlackBerry

    I've had my Z10 for three weeks now. It's my first BlackBerry, and I've had iPhones since their inception and I've been quite invested in the Apple eco system in terms of apps, music & books.

    I'll say right away - whenever I pick up my iPhone 4 these days, I keep trying to use gestures!

    Initially I had a number of concerns about how moving from the Apple eco-system would work for me. I use iTunes Match, iCloud (purchased additional storage) and I have an iPad integrated into all of this with a Mac Book Pro on top. What I've found is that I now use my iPhone 4 as an MP3 player and I still use the iTunes Match service every bit as much as I used to (I travel everywhere for work, so I leave it plugged into my car and change things at leisure whenever I get to a Wi-Fi point), but my iPad behaviour has been modified: I now use my Z10 to look things up far more than I use the tablet.

    I've found the concentrated and economical hub to be the best thing I have ever used in a mobile device. The removal of the need to keep going in and out of apps is one of the reasons my iPad behaviour has changed I think. It saves me time, and I wonder how many hours of my life I will save to do other things over the course of the two year contract? Time isn't just money.

    I've seen many of the "handset vs Z10" videos, and I feel many of them miss the point. The QNX platform doesn't need 8 cores and more RAM than NASA - it's been a real eye opener to see how efficient coding makes best use of its resources and isn't wasteful. I see no lag, no crashing, no freezing, and unlike my iPhone, I have never had an app unexpectedly quit on me.

    For 90% of the tasks I use a phone for (keeping in touch, responding to people, working and leisure), this phone has been the best investment I've made to date. I can use the Apple eco-system for my other needs, and I will work out migration to something more open when I have the time to do so. It's only since coming away from it that I realised how deep the illusion is of lock in to Apple, and actually it's very easy to get free and I have ZERO regrets in doing this. Also, the communities for BlackBerry aren't so 'fanboy' driven, and places like CrackBerry are genuinely a lot of fun to be in, and people help each other out without expletives and persistent trolling, which is frankly fantastic.

    Anyway, I just wanted to share this for any Apple users out there that may be considering a move to a BB10 device. My experience has been great, and the device has genuinely made a difference to me and I recommend it wholeheartedly.
    Thanked by 23:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    allanabellard (03-21-2013),  Mic_JP (03-21-2013),  BlackQtCoder (03-21-2013),  pvpjohn (03-21-2013),  btothemalm (03-21-2013),  deltact (03-21-2013),  DLEII (03-21-2013),  Dr.Deebs (03-21-2013),  frannip (03-21-2013),  Gnomesane (03-21-2013),  Jon Tessler (03-21-2013),  Joy1980 (03-21-2013),  KemKev (03-21-2013),  LeeU1911 (03-21-2013),  oddboy (03-21-2013),  R Field (03-21-2013),  robkd (03-21-2013),  sakin13 (03-21-2013),  Snap51 (03-21-2013),  So-sa (03-21-2013),  trynacu2 (03-21-2013),  world traveler and former ceo (03-21-2013),  zyad (03-21-2013) 
    oddboy, zyad, Blue Shift and 33 others like this.
  2. BerryWizard's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,141 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,143 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Welcome on board, happy to hear from him are having a good experience so far. Hope it gets even better in the future

    Posted via CB10
  3. Whyareallthegoodnamestaken's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,452 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,458 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    Welcome to our world. I'm glad your open mind paid off for you. I have also had to tear myself away from Apple's reality distortion field. They're great products but they really aren't the best at everything for everyone. Once you branch out you can find things that are better forbyou as an individual. When it comes to tablets I just replaced my old iPad with a Nexus 7 and couldn't be happier. I'm glad that when it comes to phones you've found blackberry. They really are a pleasure to use and you're right, the spec war simply isn't applicable to blackberries
    They're about doing lots of things quick, ultra connectivity, and efficiently too.

    Posted via CB10
    Bungalow_Bill likes this.
  4. jrohland's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,155 Posts
    PIN
    prlck
    #4  

    Default

    Thanks for sharing your experience. The Apple "Walled Garden" is easy enough to leave if you have a plan and spend time understanding how to use open alternatives. The main issue I have is; if you want to stay on Apple products, you are pretty locked in to their infrastructure. If they provide you the price, functionality, privacy and security you want, than I guess that is fine. As for me, I want to select the best option available for my needs, not only what Apple offers.
    BB; I get the call, I get the email, I get the TXT, I get the work, I get the money. I get it.
  5. sthorntonca's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    42 Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Great post. Couldn't agree more. Coming from being all-in with the Apple ecosystem, no regrets here. Still missing a few apps that I'm struggling to live without, but on the whole, it's been so much easier to make the jump than I feared.

    Posted via CB10
  6. mediadavid's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    208 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    I've made the same journey, and agree absolutely.

    It can't be overstated how much the Hub has changed - and improved - my use of emails. For instance, I have a couple of personal email accounts - a hotmail account for personal stuff, and a gmail account for career stuff. i would go into my hotmail account several times a day, delete the spam and see what needed dealing with, and go into my gmail perhaps once a day perhaps less, groan at all the boring newsletters and updates, leave and then realise weeks later that one of those was about a great seminar I really should have gone to.

    Now though all that just appears in my hub, and I can see it and read it as and when it does. I've realised how many absolutely pointless newsletters I get and have been unsubscribing to those as they appear. And never again will I get an important email that goes unnoticed or unread. Or for that matter important(ish) facebook messages etc.

    Now, I know I could have probably made myself use similar work patterns with iPhone - but the point is thats the way it is with Blackberry 10, I don't need to adapt or change the way I work the phone does it for me!

    I also find the calender great, especially the way it syncs in with my till now underused hotmail calender. Again, I could haveused the iPhone calendar better - but with Z10 I don't have to. It just works.
  7. nhanken's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,302 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Hi there and I'm really happy that you are enjoying the transition to BlackBerry ~! For someone who is so heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem and does not mind about the lack of apps to begin with on BB 10, I really admire your patience and understanding - BB10 is a new OS and all the major apps will eventually find their way to BlackBerry World

    As for myself, I have a Samsung galaxy note 10.1 tablet which I am going to sell soon because I mostly surf the Web and do everything on my Z10 nowadays and for anything else like writing a report, doing a spreadsheet on Excel is where the good old computer comes in handy~! The note tablet is an amazing device but after using intuitive gestures on the Z10, I keep trying to swipe up, left, right and all kinds of crazy things on it which feels so weird. Sometimes I thought I'm going crazy and I have to blame BBZ10 for that LoL.

    Posted via CB10
  8. GrognardGames's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    44 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nhanken View Post
    Hi there and I'm really happy that you are enjoying the transition to BlackBerry ~! For someone who is so heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem and does not mind about the lack of apps to begin with on BB 10, I really admire your patience and understanding - BB10 is a new OS and all the major apps will eventually find their way to BlackBerry World
    My apps were eBay, Amazon (Kindle on iPad, I don't want to read on a small screen), the music player, web browsing and cracked.com & various news sites. There are plenty of news apps to keep me happy in BB10, and most other apps have websites that I'm happy to use in the interim. They'll all come, but apps like WhatsApp (I know it's here now), Instagram and the like are just not apps I use and didn't come into the decision. BlackBerry World is growing all the time, but BB10 is already 90% of what I need and want out of the box. I guess all users are going to be different, and I use this to keep work and pleasure rolling along.

    I've shown the device to what I'd call power users for social media, and when they see the hub with FB, Twitter and Linked in all in one place in addition to emails and notifications they all want to play with it and find out more. It's not just a business device, it's a great meeting point of all incoming and outgoing information and I think people see that very quickly when they get hands on with it.

    If only there was a tablet version!
  9. Gnomesane's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,508 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Excellent post GrognardGames. I upgraded from an iPhone 4S and agree with everything you say. Glad to have you on board, and happy to hear you're happy with your choice. Look forward to reading your contributions to this community in the future. Cheers.

    Posted via CB10
  10. Gnomesane's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,508 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Also, Blackberry just announced Kindle for BB10, along with OpenTable. No sign of Kindle yet but OpenTable is there so I'd say Kindle is imminent.

    Just in case you change your mind. I read on my Z10, maybe give it a try.

    Agree 100% on the tablet. I have a PlayBook, and despite what Thorsten Heins is saying now, I think a Blackberry tablet will happen in the future.

    Posted via CB10
  11. nhanken's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,302 Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Oh yah I can't wait for the tablet version too or at least an update to the PlayBook for now. I heard they're working on a 10 inch BB PlayBook and hope it's true.

    Oh and who says business people don't work hard AND PLAY HARDER

    Quote Originally Posted by GrognardGames View Post
    My apps were eBay, Amazon (Kindle on iPad, I don't want to read on a small screen), the music player, web browsing and cracked.com & various news sites. There are plenty of news apps to keep me happy in BB10, and most other apps have websites that I'm happy to use in the interim. They'll all come, but apps like WhatsApp (I know it's here now), Instagram and the like are just not apps I use and didn't come into the decision. BlackBerry World is growing all the time, but BB10 is already 90% of what I need and want out of the box. I guess all users are going to be different, and I use this to keep work and pleasure rolling along.

    I've shown the device to what I'd call power users for social media, and when they see the hub with FB, Twitter and Linked in all in one place in addition to emails and notifications they all want to play with it and find out more. It's not just a business device, it's a great meeting point of all incoming and outgoing information and I think people see that very quickly when they get hands on with it.

    If only there was a tablet version!


    Posted via CB10
  12. Ronald Bak's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    612 Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrognardGames View Post
    I've had my Z10 for three weeks now. It's my first BlackBerry, and I've had iPhones since their inception and I've been quite invested in the Apple eco system in terms of apps, music & books.

    I'll say right away - whenever I pick up my iPhone 4 these days, I keep trying to use gestures!

    Initially I had a number of concerns about how moving from the Apple eco-system would work for me. I use iTunes Match, iCloud (purchased additional storage) and I have an iPad integrated into all of this with a Mac Book Pro on top. What I've found is that I now use my iPhone 4 as an MP3 player and I still use the iTunes Match service every bit as much as I used to (I travel everywhere for work, so I leave it plugged into my car and change things at leisure whenever I get to a Wi-Fi point), but my iPad behaviour has been modified: I now use my Z10 to look things up far more than I use the tablet.

    I've found the concentrated and economical hub to be the best thing I have ever used in a mobile device. The removal of the need to keep going in and out of apps is one of the reasons my iPad behaviour has changed I think. It saves me time, and I wonder how many hours of my life I will save to do other things over the course of the two year contract? Time isn't just money.

    I've seen many of the "handset vs Z10" videos, and I feel many of them miss the point. The QNX platform doesn't need 8 cores and more RAM than NASA - it's been a real eye opener to see how efficient coding makes best use of its resources and isn't wasteful. I see no lag, no crashing, no freezing, and unlike my iPhone, I have never had an app unexpectedly quit on me.

    For 90% of the tasks I use a phone for (keeping in touch, responding to people, working and leisure), this phone has been the best investment I've made to date. I can use the Apple eco-system for my other needs, and I will work out migration to something more open when I have the time to do so. It's only since coming away from it that I realised how deep the illusion is of lock in to Apple, and actually it's very easy to get free and I have ZERO regrets in doing this. Also, the communities for BlackBerry aren't so 'fanboy' driven, and places like CrackBerry are genuinely a lot of fun to be in, and people help each other out without expletives and persistent trolling, which is frankly fantastic.

    Anyway, I just wanted to share this for any Apple users out there that may be considering a move to a BB10 device. My experience has been great, and the device has genuinely made a difference to me and I recommend it wholeheartedly.
    As a FORMER Apple IOS user, I with you a 100%. It took me a week of using the z10 to finally understand what it's all about and now I am back to Blackberry and here to stay.
    Snap51 and Gnomesane like this.
  13. louboutins's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    447 Posts
    #13  

    Default

    Welcome to BlackBerry I'm glad your switch was effortless and I really appreciate this post. I too keep using gestures when my friends hand me their iphones and I just think the Z10 is extremely efficient. Hurrah!

    Posted via CB10
  14. #14  

    Default

    great posts .. thanks for the insights! ....
  15. So-sa's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    101 Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Excellent Post!!
  16. toutounjiomar's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    562 Posts
    #16  

    Default

    Welcome to the BlackBerry experience!

    Posted via CB10
  17. GrognardGames's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    44 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by louboutins View Post
    Welcome to BlackBerry I'm glad your switch was effortless and I really appreciate this post. I too keep using gestures when my friends hand me their iphones and I just think the Z10 is extremely efficient. Hurrah!

    Posted via CB10
    It was absolutely effortless really - I had so much apprehension, and all of it was misplaced! In hindsight I can't believe what an easy transition its been, and not only that, it's now a better experience for me.

    Oh Apple; although I still use you, your days are numbered and your manipulative and clingy ways have pushed me into the arms of someone that understands what I want and need
  18. EauRouge's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,270 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,630 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    great read! welcome to crackberry!
  19. Dan Graham's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Great post! I have also made the jump from android to the z10 and could not be any happier. I was caught up in all the gimmicks that came with android phones and was changing from one device to the next. What I came to realize though is that I never really used the gimmicky features. When I saw the z10 for the first time and played with it I was hooked! This phone just gets it. The ease of use and the social integration are leaps and bounds above the competition. And the features like time shift are not gimmicks but very useful. Yes the apps are not there yet, but they will come and there is plenty of good apps here as well as the ability to side load. The future if blackberry looks great and I'm proud to be apart of it!!

    Posted via CB10
  20. cwbcpa's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    101 Posts
    Global Posts
    647 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Thank you for this post. While I am no longer tied down to the apple ecosystem I am considering giving blackberry a try again. I have a note 2 and while it's a great phone. I miss the way blackberry handles email and communication in general. BB10 looks really great. I am thinking that I will pick one up. I'm just nervous about it. Less nervous now that I keep reading stories like this one though.
  21. Gnomesane's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,508 Posts
    #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrognardGames View Post
    It was absolutely effortless really - I had so much apprehension, and all of it was misplaced! In hindsight I can't believe what an easy transition its been, and not only that, it's now a better experience for me.

    Oh Apple; although I still use you, your days are numbered and your manipulative and clingy ways have pushed me into the arms of someone that understands what I want and need
    I've heard good things about Neutron MP though never used it personally, yet. I downloaded it but haven't got around to using it yet, not a big music player on my phone.

    Posted via CB10
  22. wilson1137's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    33 Posts
    #22  

    Default

    Welcome to the team, it's nice to see someone from Apple actually appreciating another device. One thing I wish everyone got a chance to do was just try the phone for a few days and actually see how amazing this OS Truly is. The gestures are so intuitive and feel so natural. Like you said I also find myself trying to gesture on any other device I use.

    Posted via CB10
  23. R Field's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,870 Posts
    #23  

    Default

    I wish more Apple users were as open minded as you. Thanks for sharing, good to here other ios and Android converts appreciating and using a great device like the z10.

    CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    BlackBerry Z30 - BBM Channel PIN : C0006E212 - Everything - BlackBerry | Sports | Technology
  24. Deu2e's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    #24  

    Default

    I'm so happy to see these posters happy with their devices! Continue to enjoy!
    Warning!
    Medium is hot.
    Medium hot is very hot.
    Hot is very very hot.
  25. projectman's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Good thoughts. I am currently an iP5 user (work phone; be easy on me) and it works veeeery well for me. I don't understand the idea of getting bogged down in any particular garden (can't get away from some investment in apps though). Whether it is Apple's or someone else's. I do not buy Apple exclusive resources (music, books, etc.) and I don't lock myself into any of their services. I do, however, use the device I have to the extent that I can so that it works for me. I have to use this device for the next 18 months or so until upgrade time, but these kinds of threads are very helpful as I bide my time. A Z10 may be in my future...someday. Have a great day.
    Steve
    Handheld device evolution:
    HandSpring Visor, Palm T1, Palm T5, LifeDrive x4, T5 again, Palm T/X, Treo 680, BB Curve (OS 4.5.0.110), BB Torch 9800, iPhone 5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. About to get my first Blackberry and I discover...
    By Lactose The Intolerant in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-28-2009, 10:06 PM
  2. I'm New To Crackberry And This Is My First BlackBerry
    By RealSista85 in forum BlackBerry Storm
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-19-2009, 07:00 PM
  3. Got my first BlackBerry
    By ArmyBerry in forum Discover BBM Friends
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-01-2009, 08:19 PM
  4. Old Habits are Hard to Break, my first blackberry. Sync questions
    By jodymcl in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xx
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-01-2008, 03:42 PM
  5. My first blackberry--2 Issues
    By lishan in forum Introductions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-07-2007, 02:31 PM

Posting Permissions