Hi,
    So I'm looking into building a wireless charging alternative for charging your Z10, using the coil from a Lumia 820 and the Nokia Wireless Charging stand.

I am looking for someone to help me figure out the wiring and how to implement and attach the coil to the Z10 effectively, without adding much thickness to the device. I have watched the DIY videos about adding a wireless charging coil to the Galaxy Note and other Android devices, and I am going to reach out to them about helping me do this with the Z10.

Would anyone be interested in helping me with this project, and if it works out, I can maybe offer the tutorial to the CrackBerry members that want to Crack your Berry out! Eventually, I would also like to offer this for the Q10 and PlayBook!

Posted with my AT&T BlackBerry Z10
    04-05-13 08:08 PM
    I can't help, BUT it sounds intriguing!
    04-11-13 02:28 PM
    I have a new Pre Plus back cover with the magnets and wires etc. I too was hoping to hack something together but with the NFC thing in the way and limited time, IDK ? I have gotten used to the cradle, but a Z10 in top of my steering wheel column doesn't fit as good as the webOS touchstone did. Subscribed. I think it would be a fun little project to complete.
    04-11-13 02:36 PM
    Sounds Cool! Can't help ya but intrigued to see how this goes for you. Good luck!

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    04-11-13 02:36 PM
    Hopefully we can get something done here!
    04-11-13 10:10 PM
    Someone has to make charging a cell phone by a banana a reality.... just saying lol

Posted via CB10
    jesse_h and root like this.
    04-11-13 10:15 PM
    I was actually wanting to do this as I really loved wireless charging on my 920

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 10:23 PM
    I was actually wanting to do this as I really loved wireless charging on my 920

Posted via CB10
    Same here. Not sure how much I can help, but I have modded a Galaxy Nexus with a Touchstone coil, and currently own a SG3 with I prebuilt coil that simply adheres to the battery for Qi charging. I would probably go the latter route if we could to avoid interference with the NFC on the battery door as much as possible.
    04-12-13 05:54 AM
    Surely the electronics can be installed into a replacement battery? It may take a little of the batteries capacity but maybe worth it for the convenience?

PING ... calling battery manufacturers ... get designing guys
    04-12-13 06:00 AM
    I'm thinking we take an existing coil and strap it to the battery with some sort of connection to the positive and negative terminals on the battery.
    04-15-13 09:14 PM
    I'm thinking we take an existing coil and strap it to the battery with some sort of connection to the positive and negative terminals on the battery.

The touchstone and coil would be the way to go. Plus those accesories can be found for very cheap prices. We just need a way to make a clean pos and neg contact with the battery.
    yellowhammer likes this.
    04-16-13 08:46 AM
    Not as cheap as a powermat...you can get a transmitter and receiver cover (8300 or 9700) BNIB for less than $7 shipped on ebay

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 07:58 PM
    I am of no help but if you can do it, I'd happily buy a modded battery from you!

One question, are qi and powermat products compatible? If not, what's the diffetence?

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 08:20 PM
    Powermat and qi are not compatible. Qi is the new std. but currently costs much more than the powermats.

I'm probably going to do a powermat one to start and then a qi.

I'm still waiting on a spare back for my z10 to continue...I'd love to get my hands on a broken z10 so i can disassemble it and build an elegant solution, I don't want to void my warranty just yet....

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 08:37 PM
    I have a nokia wireless charger that I would love to use

Posted via CB using my sexy Zee10
    04-16-13 08:48 PM
    The touchstone and coil would be the way to go. Plus those accesories can be found for very cheap prices. We just need a way to make a clean pos and neg contact with the battery.
    I would love to see this done, looking at the Q10, the last thing missing to get me to loosen my grip on my Pre3 is inductive charging. I already have a wealth of Touchstones and I think I've got a couple Pixi backs floating around I could sacrifice.
    yellowhammer likes this.
    05-02-13 01:24 PM
    Someone has to make charging a cell phone by a banana a reality.... just saying lol

Posted via CB10
    Enough bananas and electrodes no problem

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 01:55 PM
    Lookup powermat powerpak, it was a concept they came up a few years ago at CES to start making the batteries rather than custom cases doors. Sadly it it never made it to retail.

Lookup on ebay also the microusb qi product that is available. It is designed for devices with the microusb port on the bottom, but I bought it and it works fine, it just sticks out on the side. I'm sure you could rip one of those apart and get the wiring you're looking for.
    05-02-13 01:59 PM
    I think it's great that there has been progress with power distribution. I still think that this feature is still a gimmick at its current stage.

What is the point of this if you still have to place your phone by a power mat. It might as well be a docking station so at least it is held up in landscape mode. This is helpful if you are charging more than one device though.

Otherwise, there would be no difference in me placing it on a dock or a power mat.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 02:19 PM
    One advantage over a dock is no external contacts to worry about. After over 3 years of inductive charging on my phone and almost 2 years on my tablet it is revolutionary, especially with the tablet being location aware it can tell which inductive stand it is on and display the application of your choosing based on the stand it is on. This would be even better for someone like me with my phone, display one thing at work, another next to the bed, another in the car, etc.

In the end the Q10 doesn't have the ability to use a dock so I am hoping we see some progress on this when some of the old webOS folks get their hands on the Q10. Everybody I know that got and SGS3 bought the ebay inductive back for it, there is a large portion of the market that once they have used induction charging will pay for it if it's made available on a new device.
    05-02-13 03:10 PM
    Hi Old School ! Welcome to Crackberry! I miss my old Pre 3 Sometimes and inductive charging. Its really too late for the webOS people to experience the 9810. Its a great Phone and not as good for gaming but as a Smartphone to run business its very good and throwing in the dock isn't that bad. For me in some ways it was an upgrade from WebOS and in others a Downgrade from WebOS. There is a chip that exists that will live in the phone and wirelessly charge the phone when in proximity of a transmitter. Other than that laying the phone on something really is nicer than a Dock. Cheers.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    05-02-13 04:56 PM
    The proposed powermat "Wicc Card" also seems like a good solution, it's just not available.
    05-07-13 11:33 PM
    The proposed powermat "Wicc Card" also seems like a good solution, it's just not available.
    Yeah I think this is the evolution of wireless charging. Would love to see this for the Z10. I tried to add a Qi coil to the positive and negative terminals of the Z10 this past weekend. Had power but the unit never recognized a charge. Not sure if the chip in the battery is preventing it or what. Also seemed like the shielding over the NFC module was inhibiting the charge as well. Nokia plate only recognized it without the battery door. Was hoping to hack it on without opening the device.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    05-08-13 05:29 AM
    This is certainly intriguing, I know a couple full on electrical engineers. I'll see if I can pick their brains for ideas or if they can point me to someone who might be able to help

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 05:50 AM
    Yeah I think this is the evolution of wireless charging. Would love to see this for the Z10. I tried to add a Qi coil to the positive and negative terminals of the Z10 this past weekend. Had power but the unit never recognized a charge. Not sure if the chip in the battery is preventing it or what. Also seemed like the shielding over the NFC module was inhibiting the charge as well. Nokia plate only recognized it without the battery door. Was hoping to hack it on without opening the device.
    Glad to see some real interest in this, I keep hoping by the time I get a Q someone has put together a Palm Touchstone compatible back for sale on ebay (a dream I know).

Any chance the amperage of the charger wasn't high enough? I know the Palm Touchstone only works with a high enough input, so you you use a different USB wall plug, many car chargers, or even a car that the plug isn't getting proper voltage to the puck may not charge even though it will charge if plugged in directly.

Also any pics of your attempts? The inside of back cover, wiring, etc? Would love to have them posted, may help us to evolve this project.
    05-08-13 11:37 AM
41 12