Don't leave the phone app window active!

I stuck mine in my pocket this morning after getting off work (I'm night shift) and figured I better mow and edge the lawn before it got too hot; Southeast Texas - we're running highs around mid-90's to 100F already.

I've got the whole front and side yards done and start sweeping up, and hear touch tone sounds coming from my pocket!

Pull my Z10 out, which of course was locked when I last pocketed it, it had unlocked and since I'd left the phone app active - albeit shrunk - it had opened up the phone app and was pocket-dialing someone. I quickly ended the call and then thought, oh crap, lemme look at the call log. From 7:19AM to 7:35AM it had placed 21 calls; it was going down my list of recent calls hitting everyone up!

I'm thinking some of them may have had their phones off, but I'm betting at least a few got a rude awakening. Haven't heard from any of them yet which I guess is so far, so good...

Ya know, when I was on my 9810, I downloaded a free pattern lock app that worked like a champ. Maybe there's something like this for the Z?

Richard
    06-07-13 09:29 AM
    Password protect and push the power button to lock as you put it in your pocket. I use the flip shell and it prevents this sort of thing happening but for those who like it naked I can only suggest password protection

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    06-07-13 09:44 AM
    I have a holster that has the magnet in it that keeps the screen off until you upholster it. I get to keep the phone free of screen protectors/cases and it never pocket dials! It's a slick little holster too.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-13 10:33 AM
    Should definitely turn over the swipe to unlock

Posted via CB10
    niss63 likes this.
    06-07-13 10:46 AM
    Password protect and push the power button to lock as you put it in your pocket.
    Password protect is a pain. Pattern lock was nice on the 9810, very used to that; don't think I could take having to enter a password every time. By the way phone was already locked when I pocketed it.

Should definitely turn over the swipe to unlock
    Not sure I understand you. I did disable gestures while locked though. Now I have to hit the power button to bring up the lock screen...might help. I pocket my Z10 all the time and this is the first time it gave me any trouble so I don't think it's a huge problem, but just one instance of it dialing a bunch of people is more than enough!

Richard
    06-08-13 10:27 AM
    Get a pouch. Adds almost no bulk to phone and protects the screen. Phone can be set to automatically answer on removing the phone from the pouch and to end the call on insertion (BlackBerry magnetic pouch). With care, can peek without answering.

I used to use holsters, but I never liked the bulk, and I don't usually wear a belt. The z10 in a pouch works nicely in a pocket or pack.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 10:54 AM
    Get a pouch. Adds almost no bulk to phone and protects the screen. Phone can be set to automatically answer on removing the phone from the pouch and to end the call on insertion (BlackBerry magnetic pouch). With care, can peek without answering.

I used to use holsters, but I never liked the bulk, and I don't usually wear a belt. The z10 in a pouch works nicely in a pocket or pack.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, plus if you are sitting down at the computer or wherever you set the phone on top of it and don't have to worry about unlocking it when you pick up.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 11:27 AM
    You can disable **** gestures.
    Last edited by Chanlion; 06-10-13 at 08:47 PM.
    06-08-13 11:34 AM
    No issues here as mine is password protected and set to one to dim display and lock.

Never yet pocket dialed on any device I ever owned.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 11:47 AM
    I wear my Z10 naked. I've learned the hard way that having a password is a must. It's a bit of a hassle at times but it beats having mishaps like pocket dialing or someone picking up my phone and having access to my sensitive information.

Posted One-Handed via BlackBerry Z10
    06-08-13 11:50 AM
    I have a holster that has the magnet in it that keeps the screen off until you upholster it. I get to keep the phone free of screen protectors/cases and it never pocket dials! It's a slick little holster too.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry, this just made me laugh. Would you suggest a nice paisley pattern? lol
    06-08-13 11:58 AM
    Sorry, this just made me laugh. Would you suggest a nice paisley pattern? lol
    Made for a good laugh!

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 02:14 PM
    Check the settings to auto lock the device I have mine setup after 15 min so the power button just turns off the screen. This may be the issue if u have gestures off

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 02:30 PM
    I'm thinking your neighbours had more of a rude awakening!! Mowing the lawn at 7 in the morning!!

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 02:34 PM
    Unless a coincidence, my Z10 started to do this since 10.1

Posted via my CB Q10
    06-09-13 03:51 PM
    Password protect and push the power button to lock as you put it in your pocket. I use the flip shell and it prevents this sort of thing happening but for those who like it naked I can only suggest password protection

Posted via CB10
    No, not a good idea. You may take a wiped phone out of your pocket if you do that! After 10 wrong attempts, the device self-wipes.
    06-09-13 04:01 PM
    No, not a good idea. You may take a wiped phone out of your pocket if you do that! After 10 wrong attempts, the device self-wipes.
    Don't you have to type BlackBerry before it self wipes?

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 04:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'd rather pocket dial then wipe my phone because of too many bad passwords

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 05:15 PM
    Don't you have to type BlackBerry before it self wipes?

Posted via CB10
    Yes for self wipes. This wipe is caused by wrong passwords so it deletes instantly

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 05:17 PM
    What would a BlackBerry be without pocket dialing. Ahh the nostalgia

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 05:51 PM
    I use either a holster or I pocket mine. Never had an issue. But why bother keeping your phone app open? It takes virtually no time to open any of the apps I have. I lock my screen, with my gestures on, close any apps I don't need open, check to make sure I don't have any keys in my pocket and throw my phone in and when i take it out it's just as I left it. But I'm sure in time there will be a pattern lock developed for BB10.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 06:05 PM
    Naked is fun as it feels so sexy like a female in a birthday suit

Posted with My Wannabe Blackberry z10 iPhone 4 using CB iOS app
    06-09-13 10:00 PM
    But why bother keeping your phone app open? It takes virtually no time to open any of the apps I have. I lock my screen, with my gestures on, close any apps I don't need open
    Didn't leave it open intentionally, it was just open as it was the last thing I had used.

Even if I did close it...it's entirely possible my pocket could have chosen that app to bring up and begin pocket-dialing. I just made it easier by already having that app open.

I think I'm fine now with gestures disabled while the phone is locked. I won't be going the password route, or "pouch" - don't want to make the phone any thicker in my pocket. I'm already too used to the fact that it's nice and slim, especially compared to my old Torch 9810. (That phone, btw, really did need pattern lock to be pocketed - the most common thing it would do otherwise would be unlock and go to the settings menu, almost invariably turning off the wireless network. It was annoying enough that it would mute calls I was on while pocketed since the button would get hit, something that of course pattern lock couldn't fix)

Richard
    06-10-13 07:39 AM
    Pattern Lock was a godsend on the 9900, one icon to lock, one pattern swipe to unlock... isn't having a blackberry all about convenience and efficiency!?

from an australian Z10...
    06-10-13 08:28 AM