You know the gold thing on your phone where you put your sim card? What if that broke? What if you're still able to insert your sim card but it doesn't read it?

What would you have to repair and how much do you think it would cost?

The Gamer's Network- C00015A31 || STL100-2/10.3.1.529
    01-20-14 07:45 AM
    I'm just posting a video to YouTube about something similar... Not how to fix the gold pins (which is possible to hack with some careful teardown of your phone) but how to prevent breaking them in the first place using a wrongly inserted SIM Card Adapter. If you have the time and patience though, depending on your phone model, you can open up the phone and directly solder the pins down (they will no longer move up and down) and pray that it makes contacts.

As far as preventing the gold pins from breaking in the first place, IF you put a SIM Card Adapter in your phone without the SIM in it, if you get stuck removing it.... You can push down the pins through the holes above them as you carefully slip the adapter out. The key here is not to force the adapter. Slide it as far as it will go easily, then look through the little windows in the slot where you can see the 6 gold pins and push them down carefully with a needle. You will bypass the first row of 3, then repeat for the second row of 3.

Depending on your phone model, you may have to open it up to access the holes in the SIM card tray above the gold pins. The older BlackBerry's would easily show the gold pins. The newer ones and some other phones hide it beneath the plastic somewhere, but they should still be there in case of such an emergency.

The best case is simply prevent it from happening like it did to Kevin (see his video on SIM Card Adapters where he broke his brand new phone within minutes of unboxing it). The video I'm posting on YouTube is discussing the same problem and how to avoid it.
    01-20-14 08:51 AM
    Are you sure that your simcard itself is working? Some folks have bent the contacts and had to have them fixed - not cheap, I gather but some Cell phone repair shops might be able to do it.
    01-20-14 09:08 AM
    Yes F2 is correct... test the SIM card in another phone to verify it works.... Just swap SIMs with a friend on the same network (and with same size slot or phone model).

Sounds though by the OP that something is broken with a gold pin, so it is not the SIM only. There is physical damage being reported by the OP regarding the gold pin, and it would be good to know how it got broken in the first place. Most people break it using adapters but maybe it broke by another means.
    01-20-14 10:13 AM
    It didn't actually break as I'm using my phone right now. I wanted to see if my friend was actually telling the truth when he said it broke and it would cost him the same price as a new Z10( by the way he had a STL100-2)

The Gamer's Network- C00015A31 || STL100-2/10.3.1.529
    01-20-14 11:03 AM