I dont think you get it at all.

Posted via My Awesome Z10 | Follow me on Twitter @angelesrobby
    Yes I do. But why in the field you're searching does it change from the number to an x or whatever. I guess you pay no attention to what is in the search bar and to results. It just looks stupid to me to change your number, even if it is associated on the kb with a letter when it knows you're searching a number. Just looks stupid is all.
    06-17-14 10:28 AM
    I give up You'll just have to test it yourself on a Q10.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-14 10:36 AM
    in universal search the phpne can;t read your mind

so ....

you search using the keyboard but the phone search for both characters on the keys , this is a clever thing to do that way you can looks everywhere for a match ... of a phone number matches you will get it , if text matches you get it, this has been a BB search feature for a while.

it a great feature was impressed when I noticed my Torch doing this the forst time

otoh if you are in a phone number field and type 1 800 call bob, the phone will accept that and dial 1 800 225 5262 ... smart !
    06-17-14 10:47 AM
    Yes I do. But why in the field you're searching does it change from the number to an x or whatever. I guess you pay no attention to what is in the search bar and to results. It just looks stupid to me to change your number, even if it is associated on the kb with a letter when it knows you're searching a number. Just looks stupid is all.
    No, you do not get it at all. When you push letter with paired numbers with it the phone reads it as numbers and letters and predicts contacts with same number, but at the time you add a letter with no number paired with it the phone automatically reads it all as letters.

The fact that you see it stupid says that you don't get it at all.

06-17-14 10:53 AM
    No, you do not get it at all. When you push letter with paired numbers with it the phone reads it as numbers and letters and predicts contacts with same number, but at the time you add a letter with no number paired with it the phone automatically reads it all as letters.

The fact that you see it stupid says that you don't get it at all.

Whatever dude. I get it. I don't like it. End of story. It's my issue.
    06-17-14 11:16 AM
    Whatever dude. I get it. I don't like it. End of story. It's my issue.
    No, you don't get it.

06-17-14 11:23 AM
    Ffs, this is exactly same what was on BlackBerry os (9780)
    You start typing those keys on the phone's physical keyboard where numbers are assigned and it recognises as numbers and starts to dial numbers.

Lets say, if may name is yessuz and my phobe number is 12345, if i'll start to hit the buttons on my keyboard in universal searc, hitting letters WER (which, I believe are as well numbers 123) I will get my name and my number and option Call.
    If I start to type "ye" I will get my name popped out and option to call.

On my Z10, I have to switch between numeric and alphabetical keyboards in the universal search, but the outcome is the same:

THE IDEAL PHONE APP for a BUSINESS USER!-img_20140617_172347.png

THE IDEAL PHONE APP for a BUSINESS USER!-img_20140617_172409.png

Posted via CB10 on glorious Z10 powered by 10.2.1.3175
    06-17-14 11:25 AM
    No it doesn't! This the issue! Why the heck they think the normal user of the Z10 not need the same functionality? Why just the Q must have this option?

Proudly Z10 owner
    06-17-14 11:27 AM
    No it doesn't! This the issue! Why the heck they think the normal user of the Z10 not need the same functionality? Why just the Q must have this option?

Proudly Z10 owner
    Because it is different keyboard?

Posted via CB10 on glorious Z10 powered by 10.2.1.3175
    06-17-14 11:30 AM
    No because the kb on the Q is "always on", ready to use and they pit the functionality there. On the Z you must go to search or to contacts app in order to open the KB. My proposal, simple and we'll known from legacy devices, is to open directly the phone app and precede like in old phones using T9, or dial pad direct contacts prediction , as I named every time.
    It was si simple to programmed like this. Hope someone from BlackBerry would read out complains and do something...

Proudly Z10 owner
    06-17-14 11:36 AM

Proudly Z10 owner
    Because they have a physical keyboard?

06-17-14 11:37 AM
    So we can vote all together : bring back the T9 on 10.3?

Proudly Z10 owner
    06-17-14 11:37 AM
    Yes, make a poll or petition or something. Haha. I vote for a t9.

06-17-14 11:43 AM
    Alice, Alice who the f*ck is Alice?

Posted via CB10
    WWBlondieDo likes this.
    06-17-14 11:50 AM
    Can anybody explain how to use of alphabets in the dial pad ??
    I tried typing names there but in vain. That must be used for searching the contacts fast!!

From 8703e till Z10. BB rocks!!!
    06-17-14 11:52 AM
    try again ...

OP wants to be able to search from phone app as main screen, other seem not sure most effecient way to daily by name or number.

thinking of numbers of presses or clicks ... in almost all sitautions using inversal search will be fastest

for a keybpoard phone

1. from home screen just start typing name or number, no need to switch to number keys the system will search for either at same time.
    as soon as you see the contact you want
    2. press on the name ,contact will open
    3. select call

this is fastest, fewest number of keypresses or taps

next fastest is but many at least 1 more press, can search by anything in contacts, name number, work, address whatever( same as universal search)

1. press phone, 2. press contact tab, 3. type in criteria, 4 when the contact select it or if top of list enter will also work phone will dial

this has 1 more action

the functionality OP wants is in universal search which is always on from the homepage, of course the phone app is also always on, no need to open the app or open the search

for touchscreen, ONE more action is required but might have to switch to number keys

1. press search, 2. start typing search criteria, 3. press it when you see it ( or press go) contact opens, 4. select call

I just found a colleague by name of workplace and dialed with 5 taps on my Z10 .... FIVE , open search, first 3 letters of workplace , select contact, press call work

does OP really have a way to do this in fewer key presses , I can't see how

Universal search is a great feature, often the fastest way to find apps and files as well
    the KB phones are superior here which is one of the reasons some prefer them and fond the loss of screen real estate worth it.
    WWBlondieDo likes this.
    06-17-14 12:59 PM
    OP, I'm sorry to say, but I just don't agree with you. I mean sure, they can make the future, but I don't see it as being very important to many people. It seems like such a little niche thing that would satisfy such a small amount of people. Personally, I hope to never ever have to type anything on a dial pad again, I thought I was done with that when I got rid of that flip phone.

That being said, I don't see how using the universal search or the search on the Contacts tab of the actual phone app is so inconvenient for you. They booth do basically what you are asking for, sure its not exactly the same as what you are used to but is it really that difficult or inconvenient? Basically, I see it as you complaining you can't use the dial pad as a keyboard and that seems rather abstruse to me.

Finally, I do wish I could still set which tab the phone app opens to.
    06-17-14 05:09 PM
42 12