I've been considering numerous options to allow peeking back to the root of the hub when its last state was left in a message or attachment.

Most ideas are too inconsistent or conflict with other gestures.

What I've settled on is this: a traditional L-swipe (up and to the right) on the lower 2/3 of the screen gives a normal peek.

A full swipe up (into the top third of the screen) before making the sideways portion of the swipe would show you the root of the hub.

By "hub root ", I mean the view displayed when you tab on the "Hub" item in the hub's account listing (the aggregated contents of all viewable hub accounts).

I think this would satisfy swipe exclusivity requirements and be easy to use and remember.

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    fanaticalman2 likes this.
    05-28-13 11:56 PM
    so instead of just using the root hub gesture (hold back button pull right)?
    05-29-13 02:11 AM
    so instead of just using the root hub gesture (hold back button pull right)?
    I'm talking about peeking from an application. Obviously if you are in the hub, you can peek back in that manner. What I'm talking about is the situation in which the hub is left in an email, etc., and you are in an application. When you get a notification and you peek back to the hub, you see that old stale email staring at you, when what you really want is to see what new item arrived. Currently you have to swipe into the hub, swipe back to the hub root, check the notification, swipe back to the active frames, and then tap your application to re-open it.

Alternative: a single swipe (what I posted above).
    05-29-13 01:50 PM
    I don't see any issues with your idea, doing the motions is kind of easy... but im just imagining for a minute trying to explain this to my 56year old father... i dont see it rating high on the easy factor.. my 2 cents

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 01:56 PM
    I think it's a lot harder to peek to hub root with your suggested gesture, and then decide not to go in (return to what you were doing) because then your thumb and your hand shifted up to high to hold the z10 comfortable one handed.

But I think reversing the gestures, so short gesture for hub root and long for how it is now, would be great.
    Or maybe make it an option that would be best

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 02:18 PM
    Why doesn't the HUB re-root as soon as you leave it?

I support a gesture to re-root it, but doesn't BlackBerry make it Auto (or atleast an option to make it auto).
    05-29-13 03:14 PM
    Why doesn't the HUB re-root as soon as you leave it?

I support a gesture to re-root it, but doesn't BlackBerry make it Auto (or atleast an option to make it auto).
    I do a lot of stuff where I bring up an email, go to an app, and then keep peeking back at the email to get info from it -or vice versa when composing an email in the hub.

Posted via CB10
    jasonvan9 likes this.
    05-29-13 03:43 PM
    Thanks for bringing this up. I think this would be a very useful features. Having all of the communication items consolidated in the hub is a great feature of BB10, but the implementation could be better.

When I am finished reading an email or text in the hub, I generally use an upward swipe gesture to return to the home screen. This leaves the email/text as the active pane in the hub. When I receive a new message notification, I would like to have a gesture to return to the root of the hub to see the actual message. Currently, multiple swipe gestures are required to get back to the root.

This is a minor inconvenience, but it is an inconvenience that I experience almost every time I pick up my Z10. Notifications are much better on BB10 than some other platforms, but I am definitely missing the simplicity of webOS notifications.

I am also missing the ability to tweak virtually every OS feature (this was easy to do in webOS). Does anybody know if somebody is working on rooting the Z10? The homebrew community seems nonexistent over here with BB.
    05-31-13 11:24 AM