Hi, all! I hope you can please help! I have a toddler and not much time to research this stuff like I used to.

About 1.5 yrs ago I reluctantly defected to an iPhone 4S, from my first BB: a Tour. iPhone is nice in some ways but it just isn't a BB and I've kept my ear to ground, waiting for the new BB10 devices, and I'm SO ready to come back! Can you please help me with a few questions before I make the jump? I appreciate any help.

1. I always loved bedside mode. Is there really no flip clock in BB10/Z10? Can you still choose a tune from your music library as a wake-up track?

2. How do you turn off the sound on the Z10 (is there a button or is it a setting? If it's a setting, is it a pain to get to? I always relied on convenience keys for that)? And if you turn off the sound, does that silence the camera shutter? No, I'm not a pervert looking for a silent camera. My kid is very photogenic but uncooperative if she realizes I'm taking her picture.

3. Is the Z10 capable of visual voicemail? It sounds like, from a few posts I read, VVM is provided (or not) by the carrier. Is that true?

4. "Message Truncated Due to Size" was seriously one of the main reasons I left BB in the first place. I understood it to be a BIS issue/limitation: does anyone know if it's still an issue? There's nothing more frustrating than getting an email from the husband full of pictures of our kid that I cannot view.

5. I'm a Mac user. Desktop Manager sure left a lot to be desired. Is the new software any better? Is there an option for a one-way sync from BB to computer? Even iPhone can't do that, and I don't get it: am I the only person in the world who wants this functionality? I do EVERYTHING on my device and 2-way sync always wipes stuff out on my phone, and I never want my computer overwriting my phone. Argh!

6. Seems I can't get my iPhone to connect to my car via Bluetooth for purposes of playing music (only phone calls). Is it possible to connect the Z10 via Bluetooth and use the car's controls for navigating playlists, etc. so as not to be tinkering w/the phone itself (especially while driving!)?

7. I find the iPhone calendar very limiting, in terms of setting up appointments, reminder options... everything. Is the BB calendar everything it used to be, at least?

8. I'm a BB fan in a sea of iPhone users (husband, sister, b-in-law, etc.). Husband travels extensively for work and Facetime has been invaluable for us, because he can see our daughter and she can see him while we talk. We also Facetime with my sister who is long-distance. If I come back to BB, what can take the place of Facetime? I'm not up on what 3rd party apps are available for that kind of thing. Hubs and I used to do Yahoo Msngr a lot...but I don't know if it has a video component. Will the video quality suck, using a 3rd party app?

9. Truly, how is the call quality on the Z10? I always thought the Tour was a great PHONE...and I think the iPhone is less so. I have a hearing loss and need good, clear sound, with the option to raise the volume at times. My iPhone is on max call volume and doesn't achieve the sound/call quality/volume that my Tour did, back in the day.

Thank you so much in advance for any info you can provide! I really appreciate your help!
    03-21-13 10:57 PM
    Hi, all! I hope you can please help! I have a toddler and not much time to research this stuff like I used to.

About 1.5 yrs ago I reluctantly defected to an iPhone 4S, from my first BB: a Tour. iPhone is nice in some ways but it just isn't a BB and I've kept my ear to ground, waiting for the new BB10 devices, and I'm SO ready to come back! Can you please help me with a few questions before I make the jump? I appreciate any help.

1. I always loved bedside mode. Is there really no flip clock in BB10/Z10? Can you still choose a tune from your music library as a wake-up track?

No flip clock, however you can choose your own tunes.

2. How do you turn off the sound on the Z10 (is there a button or is it a setting? If it's a setting, is it a pain to get to? I always relied on convenience keys for that)? And if you turn off the sound, does that silence the camera shutter? No, I'm not a pervert looking for a silent camera. My kid is very photogenic but uncooperative if she realizes I'm taking her picture.

To turn the sound off you can do a couple of things.
    1 in the main screen, swipe down from the top and tap the bell icon.
    2 press and hold volume key on the side down.

3. Is the Z10 capable of visual voicemail? It sounds like, from a few posts I read, VVM is provided (or not) by the carrier. Is that true?

Yes, however it is dependent on your carrier. Works great.

4. "Message Truncated Due to Size" was seriously one of the main reasons I left BB in the first place. I understood it to be a BIS issue/limitation: does anyone know if it's still an issue? There's nothing more frustrating than getting an email from the husband full of pictures of our kid that I cannot view.

I have not run into this since getting my Z10

5. I'm a Mac user. Desktop Manager sure left a lot to be desired. Is the new software any better? Is there an option for a one-way sync from BB to computer? Even iPhone can't do that, and I don't get it: am I the only person in the world who wants this functionality? I do EVERYTHING on my device and 2-way sync always wipes stuff out on my phone, and I never want my computer overwriting my phone. Argh!

I'm a windows user. Sorry

6. Seems I can't get my iPhone to connect to my car via Bluetooth for purposes of playing music (only phone calls). Is it possible to connect the Z10 via Bluetooth and use the car's controls for navigating playlists, etc. so as not to be tinkering w/the phone itself (especially while driving!)?

sorry can't help here either

7. I find the iPhone calendar very limiting, in terms of setting up appointments, reminder options... everything. Is the BB calendar everything it used to be, at least?

The calendar is fantastic

8. I'm a BB fan in a sea of iPhone users (husband, sister, b-in-law, etc.). Husband travels extensively for work and Facetime has been invaluable for us, because he can see our daughter and she can see him while we talk. We also Facetime with my sister who is long-distance. If I come back to BB, what can take the place of Facetime? I'm not up on what 3rd party apps are available for that kind of thing. Hubs and I used to do Yahoo Msngr a lot...but I don't know if it has a video component. Will the video quality suck, using a 3rd party app?

Skype will be available soon

9. Truly, how is the call quality on the Z10? I always thought the Tour was a great PHONE...and I think the iPhone is less so. I have a hearing loss and need good, clear sound, with the option to raise the volume at times. My iPhone is on max call volume and doesn't achieve the sound/call quality/volume that my Tour did, back in the day.

The call quality in my opinion is excellent.

Thank you so much in advance for any info you can provide! I really appreciate your help!

Posted via CB10
    03-21-13 11:08 PM

1. I always loved bedside mode. Is there really no flip clock in BB10/Z10? Can you still choose a tune from your music library as a wake-up track? There is a digital clock and yes you can ser ur own tune

2. How do you turn off the sound on the Z10 (is there a button or is it a setting? If it's a setting, is it a pain to get to? I always relied on convenience keys for that)? And if you turn off the sound, does that silence the camera shutter? No, I'm not a pervert looking for a silent camera. My kid is very photogenic but uncooperative if she realizes I'm taking her picture. . You can turn off the sound by shipping down from the top and choosing silent. As far as I know u need an app to silence the shutter

3. Is the Z10 capable of visual voicemail? It sounds like, from a few posts I read, VVM is provided (or not) by the carrier. Is that true? Not sure

4. "Message Truncated Due to Size" was seriously one of the main reasons I left BB in the first place. I understood it to be a BIS issue/limitation: does anyone know if it's still an issue? There's nothing more frustrating than getting an email from the husband full of pictures of our kid that I cannot view. haven't experienced this

5. I'm a Mac user. Desktop Manager sure left a lot to be desired. Is the new software any better? Is there an option for a one-way sync from BB to computer? Even iPhone can't do that, and I don't get it: am I the only person in the world who wants this functionality? I do EVERYTHING on my device and 2-way sync always wipes stuff out on my phone, and I never want my computer overwriting my phone. Argh! I use a Mac and never have issues.

I believe so but depends on ur car

7. I find the iPhone calendar very limiting, in terms of setting up appointments, reminder options... everything. Is the BB calendar everything it used to be, at least? Yes I Def like the BlackBerry 10 calendar better than ios

8. I'm a BB fan in a sea of iPhone users (husband, sister, b-in-law, etc.). Husband travels extensively for work and Facetime has been invaluable for us, because he can see our daughter and she can see him while we talk. We also Facetime with my sister who is long-distance. If I come back to BB, what can take the place of Facetime? I'm not up on what 3rd party apps are available for that kind of thing. Hubs and I used to do Yahoo Msngr a lot...but I don't know if it has a video component. Will the video quality suck, using a 3rd party app? Skype is suppose to be coming soon

9. Truly, how is the call quality on the Z10? I always thought the Tour was a great PHONE...and I think the iPhone is less so. I have a hearing loss and need good, clear sound, with the option to raise the volume at times. My iPhone is on max call volume and doesn't achieve the sound/call quality/volume that my Tour did, back in the day. Call quality is great

Posted via CB10 with my Zed 10
    03-21-13 11:11 PM
    1. Yes, you can choose any track you want.

2. Neither. Only way to mute the phone is to do it old school by pressing down on the - Volume button until you get to silent. Notifications are also in the settings menu.As far as the camera, it always has a shutter sound, but there are a few apps available that can help you with shutting it off.

3. Yes, the phone can do VVM but it has to be an option on your plan, which is where your carrier comes in. This is the case with ALL phones.

4. The Z10 and future BlackBerry 10 devices will no longer require BIS, and thus you will not have truncated emails. HOWEVER, no BIS also means no data compression, so your data consumption will go up so be prepared for that.

5. Honestly, Link kind of sucks at this point, but they've already updated it and there are more fixes on the way so hopefully that makes it a better experience. I'm not very knowledgeable on BB Link though, so the rest of your question I will leave to someone else.

6. Yes, BUT depends on the car. Only way to know is to try. If your stereo has any DNLA connectivity then yes, you're good to go. I'd google that.

7. No, but pretty close. At least in my view, but I don't use it often, so your needs might be different... again, this one I will leave for someone else.

8. If everyone else gets a Z10, you can use facetime on BBM. If they don't, then there is a few apps that could help, just search BBWorld. Quality is standard as the camera does take HD video so it shouldn't be a problem, and furthermore, if none of those options are viable, then there will be a Skype app coming soon.

9. Excellent. This is where BB is at its best hardware-wise.

Does this help?
    03-21-13 11:21 PM
    Posted via CB10 with my Zed 10
    Ok.... sure...
    03-21-13 11:22 PM
    Posted via CB10
    Thanks for that....
    03-21-13 11:22 PM
    1. Yes, you can choose any track you want.

2. Neither. Only way to mute the phone is to do it old school by pressing down on the - Volume button until you get to silent. Notifications are also in the settings menu.As far as the camera, it always has a shutter sound, but there are a few apps available that can help you with shutting it off.

3. Yes, the phone can do VVM but it has to be an option on your plan, which is where your carrier comes in. This is the case with ALL phones.

4. The Z10 and future BlackBerry 10 devices will no longer require BIS, and thus you will not have truncated emails. HOWEVER, no BIS also means no data compression, so your data consumption will go up so be prepared for that.

5. Honestly, Link kind of sucks at this point, but they've already updated it and there are more fixes on the way so hopefully that makes it a better experience. I'm not very knowledgeable on BB Link though, so the rest of your question I will leave to someone else.

6. Yes, BUT depends on the car. Only way to know is to try. If your stereo has any DNLA connectivity then yes, you're good to go. I'd google that.

7. No, but pretty close. At least in my view, but I don't use it often, so your needs might be different... again, this one I will leave for someone else.

8. If everyone else gets a Z10, you can use facetime on BBM. If they don't, then there is a few apps that could help, just search BBWorld. Quality is standard as the camera does take HD video so it shouldn't be a problem, and furthermore, if none of those options are viable, then there will be a Skype app coming soon.

9. Excellent. This is where BB is at its best hardware-wise.

Does this help?
    Djrikko's answers are same as mine. Went thru each if your questions and they are the same for the most part.

#6 depends on a2dp support. I play music every day in my car over bluetooth.

#8 Skype will be available soon. For the time being I use bbm video chat. Other third party software is avail such ad oovoo.

#9 depending on who you are calling. The z10 has high definition audio. It does depend on the Carrier both parties are using though.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    03-21-13 11:33 PM