I've been lurking on here for a month or so now. I am getting an upgrade in a couple days, and I want the BB Z10. I'm tired of the Android platform and I've never owned an Iphone (and I never will).

The BB Z10 sounds pretty exciting, but there are a couple of things that are scaring me away.

First, it worries me that a lot of people are experiencing high data usages. I don't care what phone you are using. Using 4 GB's of data in a week or two is almost absurd. I have TONS of apps on my android, and I surf constantly, and I never use more than 2.5 GB's of data per month. Is this a software problem and are they going to fix it?

Second, what is the deal with "side-loading"? This is how you get Android apps? Does it work really well?

I'm ready for a change, but I am not going to have AT&T rip my mouth out if I can help it. I'm new to this site, and I haven't owned a BB IN YEARS. I'm really excited that it is making a comeback.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated. TIA.
    04-02-13 02:10 PM
    High data usage can be chalked up to new users wanting to play with their new toy and downloading apps. Once settled in, your data usage should level out. Use wifi whenever possible.

Side loading is the unofficial method of getting android apps on your phone. Until we get official BlackBerry versions of certain apps, this usually suffices.

If you have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, check if your carrier will let you keep your plan (att will).

Posted via CB10
    mousky and jamesharmeling like this.
    04-02-13 02:18 PM
    I just changed my plan last month to a 10 GB/month plan. I feel pretty dumb for doing that now.
    04-02-13 03:26 PM
    Sideloading is super easy and done through your PC. This will get you android apps that you may or may not want. Things like Instagram, flipboard, pinterest, netflix, songza. Temporarily filling the gap untill some beautiful native apps are made. There's a section in these forums with step by step instructions.

Regarding data usage. This has nothing to do with the phone. It's all up to what the user is doing. Some old blackberry guys may have went nuts with the new options that come with there z10. Like HD video streaming, more integrated cloud storage, endless Internet radio apps etc. 10gb is huge. You'll never go over without obvious large downloads. Such as downloading 10 large games that are over 1gb each. That's what wifi is for

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 03:40 PM
    Double post
    04-02-13 03:41 PM
    Thanks. You definitely have made me feel so much better about it.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    04-02-13 04:00 PM
    Sideloading is super easy and done through your PC. This will get you android apps that you may or may not want. Things like Instagram, flipboard, pinterest, netflix, songza.

Posted via CB10
    Hi.. You said side loading is easy.. can you please help me... I followed every step but still, I can't access instagram.. Please help.. =(
    04-08-13 05:11 AM
    What ya talking about putting BS in here about using 4gb of data in a week or two.

Omfg ppl.

In 16 days I used just over 520mb of data and that was shared with my playbook. So not all of it was Z10 usage.

I have a 5gb shared plan.

M goodness wish ppl do a search before posting BS.

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    04-08-13 06:16 AM
    As for side loading again if you would do a search you would find it does work always has worked and 99% will always work.

Not all android apps will work due to the limitation of Android os 2.3 So Far in the BB10 os, but there us hundreds yes hundreds that will work.

04-08-13 06:19 AM
    What ya talking about putting BS in here about using 4gb of data in a week or two.

Omfg ppl.

In 16 days I used just over 520mb of data and that was shared with my playbook. So not all of it was Z10 usage.

I have a 5gb shared plan.

M goodness wish ppl do a search before posting BS.

OMFG Dude,

Some folks use more data then you, get used to it and get a grip.
    I used over 2 gig in 1.5 weeks.

Tim
    04-08-13 06:20 AM
    In the interest of full disclosure, the OP should know that some of the sideloaded apps can be buggy (or are prone to crashing). Some are better than others (i.e. flipboard works great, netflix not as much). Overall, though, the Z10 is well worth it - came from iPhone and will never go back.
    04-08-13 06:23 AM
    OMFG Dude,

Some folks use more data then you, get used to it and get a grip.
    I used over 2 gig in 1.5 weeks.

Tim
    I guess you can not read, as opposed states he is reading about ppl having high data usage issues, well it's not a z10 issue if ppl would read and search they would see this is not an issue with the Z10 and sure as **** not 4gb BS as op states.

It's an app issue or carrier based issue more so in the USA.

04-08-13 06:49 AM
    Coming from a legacy BB the data usage on the Z10 is downright scary, last month I used 2GB without watching a single video or streaming a single song, it's been all browsing and apps.
    04-08-13 06:56 AM
    My first month I was really high on data, around 6gb, but in the past 2 billing cycles, my data has been down to about 3-4gb monthly.
    04-08-13 07:03 AM
    Data use is the same as android phones. People are not used to the usage coming from old BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    ubizmo likes this.
    04-08-13 07:17 AM
    I guess you can not read, as opposed states he is reading about ppl having high data usage issues, well it's not a z10 issue if ppl would read and search they would see this is not an issue with the Z10 and sure as **** not 4gb BS as op states.

It's an app issue or carrier based issue more so in the USA.

People have stated high uses purely because they are used to being able to use a lot under legacy os and not being used to life without BIS.
    Anyone coming over from Android should see no difference. The op is not a legacy user and does not know this so there is no need to be rude

Posted via CB10
    frifred likes this.
    04-08-13 07:21 AM
    Data use is the same as android phones. People are not used to the usage coming from old BlackBerry
    This sums it up. The Z10 doesn't use any more data than any other smartphone that doesn't have data compression, given the same usage patterns. But initial downloads, configurations, caching, etc., can cause a spike in data usage. Some people have had problems with various email and contacts accounts, and have deleted and added those accounts multiple times, re-syncing each time. That uses a lot of data too.

There's one other issue that can affect data use. The Z10 is a bit too aggressive about disabling wifi after getting disconnected from it. The result is that sometimes when you return to a saved wifi zone it doesn't reconnect automatically because that network has been disabled. If you're not paying attention, you may think you're on wifi when you're not. This is a bug, I believe, and we're waiting for it to be fixed.
    04-08-13 07:31 AM
    Just do it Dojo!
    04-08-13 07:42 AM
    Mine data usage is very low. I spend less than 100 MB/week

I dont know what is that about high data usage thing?
    04-08-13 07:46 AM