It wasn't always like this. There was a very different community atmosphere back in the BBOS days when I first joined a few years ago. Times change I guess.
    True... People used to be able to be critical about BB if applicable. Now? You say one thing and get piled on by the self proclaimed keepers of CB.

We used to be able to have some good, honest debate. I honestly peg the turning point around the time of the Storm rants and rave section...

SENT FROM TAPATALK 2 - Anything I say in no way represents the view of my employer, amd please do not PM me regarding account information or questions. Thanks.
    03-09-13 02:17 PM
    Careful with those middle aged jokes! I'm pretty sure Mike Lazaridus, the inventor of our fav phone, is now middle aged and does pretty well with new-fangled...
    I think Mike L. qualifies as a senior citizen or at least is eligible for discount automobile insurance offered by Grey Power.

Posted via CB10 on the BlackBerry Z10
    03-09-13 02:19 PM
    Yes....I assume Jean-Paul is not very smart....
    Oh thank you very much. I guess you don't realise that assumption is the mother of all mistakes

Firstly you posted that in response to a comment about peeking. Heck im old and experienced enough to know about the true meaning about poke and peek in an ict context secondly when applying comprehension you would know that wasn't me.

All I expressed is that I have some empathy for the chap referred to by the OP. Whilst I really like my Z10 it does have some idiosyncrasies (which devices hasn't?) and some issues (which device hasn't?).

I believe it is fair to highlight those points as well and be constructively critical of the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    Wigley458 likes this.
    03-09-13 02:22 PM
    True... People used to be able to be critical about BB if applicable. Now? You say one thing and get piled on by the self proclaimed keepers of CB.

We used to be able to have some good, honest debate. I honestly peg the turning point around the time of the Storm rants and rave section...

SENT FROM TAPATALK 2 - Anything I say in no way represents the view of my employer, amd please do not PM me regarding account information or questions. Thanks.
    Sure it has gotten a bit worse, but with that, how are we supposed to have an "Honest Debate" when people on iPhone and such come on here to just bash the Z10 saying the keyboard sucks (which is just a blatant lie) or just complaint about us not having apps. It's difficult to have an intelligent discussion when we have to always fight the fact that the OS is more intuitive, you just need to take the 2 minutes to learn the basic functions. Many of these people who post on here about this kind of stuff are people who have never even used the phone for more than a few days, so how can we argue our points in an intelligent manner when they aren't either..?

The difference from back then is EVERYONE knew how BlackBerries worked, so people's arguments were more intelligent. But now, BlackBerry just gets bashed because the person isn't educated enough on the basic functions of the phone.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Flip4Bytes; 03-10-13 at 03:46 AM.
    bigbbrybeliever and R Field like this.
    03-09-13 02:22 PM
    Returning it?

Please ask him to send it to me.....
    hahaha
    03-09-13 02:24 PM
    WebOS was or is the most loved OS in the world history of Mobil. Wasnt the most used but the most loved. Rim should bought Webos and just incorporated the good swipes for deletion of things and anything else. Parted out things? LG might make a cool TV interface with it but who wants a touch panel TV ?
    03-09-13 02:28 PM
    i do have to agree though. The keyboard does take some time to learn some things.

I know my name took a bit to figure out because it would always put the spaces between my name the hyphen and then my name again.

Sean-Paul would go as Sean - Paul. It was infuriating for a bit until the phone finally realized that I do NOT need spaces between my name and the hyphen. Thank you very much lol.

Smart Keyboard I tell ya....EVENTUALLY lol.

LOVING MY Z10
    dejongj likes this.
    03-09-13 02:28 PM
    You kidding me? Jean-Paul (FLICK UP on the space bar and it keeps it identical as to how I typed it, and now look, I can do Jean-Paul Jean-Paul, Woohoo!!) take a minute to learn the device before bashing it for something so simple... please...

Posted via CB10
    Well I'd love to learn how as when I do Jean Paul it keep on coming as jeab-Paul and now Jean Paul and then Jean Paul again.

I can't type blind when I write the whole word correctly and hit the space bar to go to the next word. It only works when you swipe up and thus have to look at the keyboard to check whether it is there.

Please educate me how you do it to keep my name normal and progress to the next word with a press of the space bar like you do on any normal keyboard for the last century.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 02:30 PM

Please educate me how you do it to keep my name normal and progress to the next word with a press of the space bar like you do on any normal keyboard for the last century.

Posted via CB10
    Have you tried Settings>Language and Input >Automated Assistance>Word Substitution? Add jp as a shortcut for Jean-Paul and save. Should then just have to type jp and your full name should appear on the space bar.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 02:42 PM
    Sure it has gotten a bit worse, but with that, how are we supposed to have an "Honest Debate" when people on iPhone and such come on here to just bash the Z10 saying the keyboard sucks (which is just a blatant lie) or just complaint about us not having apps. It's difficult to have an intelligent discussion when we have always fight the fact that the OS is more intuitive, you just need to take the 2 minutes to learn the basic functions. Many of these people who post on here about this kind of stuff are people who have never even used the phone for more than a few days, so how can we argue our points in an intelligent manner when they aren't either..?

The difference from back then is EVERYONE knew how Blackberries worked, so people's arguments were more intelligent. But now, BlackBerry just gets bashed because the person isn't educated enough on the basic functions of the phone.

Posted via CB10
    To be fair pretty much everyone here doesn't know much about BB10 as it's barely been out a month and we're still learning. All of us.
    Doesn't make people's opinions any less valid, although I really struggle to see how the iPhone's keyboard compares to the Z10 and what is easily the best stock keyboard available. In my own humble opinion, of course.
    I have a feeling he was talking about text selection though, which, again, in my opinion, is pretty bad on the Z10.
    dejongj likes this.
    03-09-13 02:47 PM
    I hereby give my regards to mikegcox for going to a bar after giving blood. Going to the blood bank hasn't crossed my mind before hitting the bar... or any other time. I admire his altruism and promise to become a better person. Honestly.
    03-09-13 02:47 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, and because I've been impatiently waiting for the US release and have yet to touch a Z10, I could definitely be wrong, but aren't the tutorials now mandatory?

I thought you couldn't skip them and had to go through them at least once before the phone would let you move on?
    03-09-13 02:48 PM
    Yeah they are mandatory to an extent. They go through the swipe locations and the bezel where you swipe to do the actions.

You could potentially just look away and swipe to the left until its done. Thats how you avoid doing the reading lol.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and because I've been impatiently waiting for the US release and have yet to touch a Z10, I could definitely be wrong, but aren't the tutorials now mandatory?

I thought you couldn't skip them and had to go through them at least once before the phone would let you move on?
    joe.miller likes this.
    03-09-13 02:53 PM
    Have you tried Settings>Language and Input >Automated Assistance>Word Substitution? Add jp as a shortcut for Jean-Paul and save. Should then just have to type jp and your full name should appear on the space bar.

Posted via CB10
    Jean-Paul Jean-Paul Jean-Paul

Super tip. Thank you very much for that. There is even a nice little tick box to keep the capitalisation. Love it.

See not all replies have to be that someone is stupid or ignorant or trolling or haven't read the manual in full. In the UK there is a show on the tv and the stock phrase is that something is only simple when you know it

Posted via CB10
    mikegcox, Wigley458 and kazakoshi like this.
    03-09-13 02:54 PM
    Glad it helped. Pay it forward. Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 02:58 PM
    To be fair, he did have a point. I don't find it intuitive either, but I did do the tutorial so now I know. Yet I dare to say that is not required for either I phone nor android and not even webOS to name a few.

I know plenty of people who would never ever read a guide, my own dad drives me mad like that but there are many like that.

Also the keyboard and editing text is just not as good as on the iPhone. It just keeps on correcting wrongly and moving the cursors is literally hit and miss. Slightly better after the update but still not there like on iPhone and android.

Don't get me wrong, there is lot to like but it does take some persevering which is not for everyone. There seem to be many on crackberry who cam only see this device through rose tinted glasses.

Posted via CB10
    I disagree. iPhone does require learning, same as the iPad. I bump into friends all the time who don't know about half of the features these other phones have. For example, how to multitask on the iphone, many don't know how, and have had the phone for years. Same as with holding down the  symbol in bbos, brings a quick app change menu, you'd be surprised how many casual users don't know how to do this stuff.
    03-09-13 03:01 PM
    To be fair pretty much everyone here doesn't know much about BB10 as it's barely been out a month and we're still learning. All of us.
    Doesn't make people's opinions any less valid, although I really struggle to see how the iPhone's keyboard compares to the Z10 and what is easily the best stock keyboard available. In my own humble opinion, of course.
    I have a feeling he was talking about text selection though, which, again, in my opinion, is pretty bad on the Z10.
    Indeed text selection, editing, placing a cursor. The recent update has made it very much so for the better, to me it is now useable but not as precise as I've been used to on other capacitive touch screen devices. And the erratic behaviour of how it deals with certain predictions, but the tip from Gnomesane has really helped tame that for my keywords. Still never had to do that on iOS, Android, webOS and PlayBook OS2.0. But hey I don't mind different now I know how

Anyone mentioned yet how good the battery life is for a smart phone, and the call quality
    03-09-13 03:01 PM
    I hereby give my regards to mikegcox for going to a bar after giving blood. Going to the blood bank hasn't crossed my mind before hitting the bar... or any other time. I admire his altruism and promise to become a better person. Honestly.
    Thanks, I had a bowl of soup and a small draft beer, I was wondering if anyone would pick up on how giving blood and visiting a bar don't jive.

Posted via CB10
    retomex likes this.
    03-09-13 03:02 PM
    There is a learning curve with every device and if one buys it, he or she should at least spend some time learning it. iPhones, iPads, Samsung Galaxy's all do have a learning curve, especially for a first time user, as I have helped many people do basic tasks on them.

If you don't know something, go on the forums, ask people, look it up on the Internet, youtube, etc. But don't just sit on your hands and complain that it is too difficult like the person referred to by the OP or you will never learn. And I just don't buy the argument that the Z10 is difficult to learn. My 75 year old neighbor got his 3 weeks ago and he already knows all the basics.
    R Field likes this.
    03-09-13 03:06 PM
    I disagree. iPhone does require learning, same as the iPad. I bump into friends all the time who don't know about half of the features these other phones have. For example, how to multitask on the iphone, many don't know how, and have had the phone for years. Same as with holding down the  symbol in bbos, brings a quick app change menu, you'd be surprised how many casual users don't know how to do this stuff.
    Not disagreeing with those specific points you made, but that wasn't really what I said or replied to. There are many advanced functions and services that many users don't know or appreciate. There are many shorts cuts etc.

PS. Not certain what you mean about how to multitask on the iPhone (iOS)? It happens automatically (or not), nothing a user has to do or not. Likewise there is no need to close down applications manually or not, the iOS takes care of that automatically.
    03-09-13 03:07 PM
    03-09-13 03:11 PM
    Not disagreeing with those specific points you made, but that wasn't really what I said or replied to. There are many advanced functions and services that many users don't know or appreciate. There are many shorts cuts etc.

PS. Not certain what you mean about how to multitask on the iPhone (iOS)? It happens automatically (or not), nothing a user has to do or not. Likewise there is no need to close down applications manually or not, the iOS takes care of that automatically.
    I believe what he means is the double tap of the home button feature that brings up running apps. This feature is was an afterthought to the UI of iOS to give users quicker access to recently used apps. The guy that I mentioned in the OP was likely not aware of this feature of his old phone which is why active frames confounded him.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 03:18 PM
    I have given my Z10 to my kids to use while in the car and the only instructions I gave was it is a lot like the iPod but instead of a home button, you swipe up from the bottom. Neither of them struggled in the least and they now use it whenever I am driving.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 03:22 PM

Very good. It says it all!!! Lol
    currentodysseys likes this.
    03-09-13 03:23 PM
    It takes time to get used to the OS for sure, but it seems these days that people have zero patience. Once you get used to the gestures, there's no turning back. Every time I pick up an iPhone and play around with it, I find myself swiping up to get out of the application like 3-4 times; only to realize that it's not doing anything because it's not the Z10. The BB10 OS does need some work, but this is part of being early adopters.

Some things that need to be ironed are:
    1) Ringtones and Notifications: I know you can download the old ringtones because I already did that. However, there needs to be a stock "Ringtone" folder on the device so that the ringtones don't end up in your music list and end up playing. I found a temporary workaround which is formatting my microSD card in my Bold 9900 to get the "Ringtone" folder and then transferring them into the folder from my desktop. Also, we need to have more control over selecting our profiles and setting the ringtones. I know there's an app but it has to remain in the "Active Frames" window. I DON'T WANT THAT! It should run in the background.

2) Apps in Background: Certain apps need to be granted access to run in the background and not necessarily in the Active Frames window. Example such as the Battery Monitor apps and the email pop-up notifiers.

3) Battery Life: I know there's been an update but for some reason on Virgin Mobile I see no difference in battery life. The battery is much larger than the iPhone 5 and given the fact that Z10 is running QNX, they should be able to better optimize it .

4) HUB: I love the hub but it needs some work. I would like it to default back the "HUB" tab when I get a notification of any type or maybe give us the option to have it do that. Also, when I select the "Text Messages" icon, it takes me to the hub, but to my last section that I was in. For example, if I just checked a BBM message, it will take me back to BBM instead of the Text Messages section.

Anyone agree?
    03-09-13 03:30 PM
199 ... 23456 ...