Pictures, video or it didn't happen.

A very friendly RIM employee had a "Dev" t-shirt on in my hotel and when I said I was looking forward to the launch at the end of this month he showed me his Z10 for a few minutes. I loved the keyboard, screen, size, thickness and quality feel. It looks like a winner to me and I think I will opt for it as a replacement to my 9900 rather than the one with keys.

He showed me the time shifting camera which was amazing. Strange it only seems to be 5Mb though.

My one nagging thought was that it crashed when he was showing it to me. Naturally it was not final release software but we are very close to launch and I do worry about it being reliable.

My contract is up in September so there should be plenty of bug fixing before then.

I couldn't help asking when I could get one in the UK. I won't betray his confidence but I was very pleased with his answer. Similarly, I was happy to hear I won't have to wait a year for my Playbook to have BB10.

He was a very nice chap, very open and friendly, and very confident in RIM's future.

Yay!
    01-05-13 10:14 PM
    I can open 30 Google pages, then it gets slooooowwwwww.

the borwser is Adobe AIR on the playbook not java i don't think anythign on the playbook runs java but either way the browser on the playbook is a memory hog and when you open to many tabs and there are alot of flash add it crashes and shuts down
    01-05-13 10:20 PM
    Did the device seem fast?
    It did seem fast and I didn't see an hour glass which was nice as my Bold often shows me one. He said the boot time was under a minute. He also talked about some slick Dropbox integration which allows email attachments directly from Dropbox.

He also said they would be sorting the lack of a Playbook video store in the UK shortly as he said to me he liked watching movies on his Z10.
    missing_K-W and jakie55 like this.
    01-06-13 12:27 AM
    How were you able to determine that the camera was 5mp? Did the employee tell you this? Or was this spec stamped on the unit?
    He said 5mp when I asked him. I didn't know the leaked spec. He may have just made an error. I laughed with him that he should not be on holiday with the launch being so close and he said "my bit is done". I didn't like to ask which bit that was, but I'm guessing it wasn't the camera...
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    01-06-13 12:32 AM
    Pictures, video or it didn't happen.
    I didn't like to ask. He made sure I wasn't from the media before he showed it to me. When I said I was a Blackberry addict who read Crackberry he said he had got Kevin Michaluk drunk about a year ago. Now if Kevin's teetotal my guy's a liar, but I bet my right nut he isn't!
    01-06-13 12:36 AM
    Wow ... thanks for posting OP. This is so exciting and I am totally jealous!

So guys ... a worry I have (and sorry if has been discussed elsewhere). We know there will be a gap between the release of BB10 and it dropping onto the PB. I depend on Bridge so much, do you think if I upgrade my 9850 to the Z10 I will be able to pair with my QNX PBs? I have to have that functionality for presentations and communication. OP, did the guy you talked to happened to say anything?
    I didn't ask (the poor guy was on holiday!) I cant believe bridging will be an issue as they both use QNX.
    01-06-13 12:39 AM
    LOL! (for those of us who bought the PlayBook at launch or shortly after)
    Sadly that's me. �330 for a 16MB one in the UK day one.
    01-06-13 12:41 AM
    I've never had my Dev Alpha A crash. Weird that you say that Z10 crashed.
    01-06-13 12:44 AM
    My browser crashed all the time
    I rebooted mine 5 minutes ago.
    01-06-13 06:16 AM
    Of course they meant the launch of BlackBerry10 for PlayBook and not the BlackBerry10 launch in itself. Also to correct you,it was never "maybe" the PlayBook will get BlackBerry10 after launch. It was "yes" the PlayBook will get BlackBerry10 along with BBM...from numerous credible sources
    You misunderstood the maybe in my response, the maybe refers to the timing of it since bb10 coming to pb has been officially confirmed.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    01-06-13 08:12 AM
    I didn't ask (the poor guy was on holiday!) I cant believe bridging will be an issue as they both use QNX.
    I would think that the odds are that we won't see bridge at launch precisely because they are both qnx, the current bridge is between bbos and qnx so qnx to qnx would require a complete rewrite for it to work in that way.
    01-06-13 08:15 AM
    Sadly that's me. �330 for a 16MB one in the UK day one.
    Me too. Got a 64G and a 32G at full price. But no regrets, now have three.
    01-06-13 09:08 AM
    ok, so firstly a note on the crash, dev devices (and dev alphas) are all running `debugging` software, which obviously wouldnt be running in a final consumer build. this could have an effect, plus lets not forget the OS that guy was running could have something extra or whatever on it, safe to say though, never judge from a beta OS.

(to see what i mean about debugging, on a dev alpha swipe right and down from the top left corner, gives you FPS and other info, kinda like FRAPPS on a PC, repeat swipe twice to return to normal screen)

also on the camera, that does make total sense. the `screen filling` ratio is 16:9 which is actually closer to 6mp, selecting 4:3 ratio will bring the image to the full 8mp.
    this is a `trick` most manufacturers use, they drop the standard res so the image fills the screen, the SE Satio for example had a default of 8mp but the camera would do 12mp but with black lines on the screen.
    01-06-13 09:26 AM
    From my understanding, bridge is just a web service and I think its not to complicated. In addition screen sharing is rumored to be coming, what would be the difference between bridge and screen sharing?
    01-06-13 09:39 AM
    From my understanding, bridge is just a web service and I think its not to complicated. In addition screen sharing is rumored to be coming, what would be the difference between bridge and screen sharing?
    He told me BBM would have screen sharing and video chat
    01-06-13 10:32 AM
    Neither my PlayBooks or 9900 have ever crashed, not once. But I'll tell you...man am I getting excited over the BB10 phones, I'm just not sure which one that I want go with; the touch screen or the qwerty device?

I recently had to switch out my 9900 for a non-BB device, but that was due to T-Mobile's lack of coverage in my current area and not my dislike of BB in any way. Needless to say, after having become well familiar with my current top of the line Android device...I can honestly say that I'm seriously missing the productivity value of the 9900. Although I like the camera on my new Android phone; if I but had quality T-Mo coverage then I'd still be rocking my 9900 at present.

I'll definitely be switching back to BB utilizing VZW coverage. Heck, for that matter, when I made my recent phone switch, initially I went in to switch from my 9900 (T-Mo) to a 9930 (VZW), but was dissuaded when I found out that the 9930 only operates on 3G coverage with VZW. If the 9930 had been 4G capable like the 9900, then I would have never ended up with my MAXX HD at all.

The MAXX HD is a nice phone and its battery life is quite good in the touch screen realm, but when it comes to productivity my 9900 whips it up and down the street...period. The only decision I now have is whether to remain with a BB touch screen or go back to my tried and true BB qwerty? Decisions, decisions!
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-06-13 12:34 PM
    Sorry, I meant 5 megapixels. He definitely said 5 and not 8. He may have been incorrect as 5 sounded so low. His comment when I asked why so low was "it's still full HD" so I think he was more interested in video than stills.
    sounds like he was confused between the video and camera..lol
    01-06-13 09:01 PM
    So does it feel light?
    01-06-13 11:54 PM
    So does it feel light?
    It felt perfectly weighted and thick to me. I think the iPhone 5 is too light. As the z10 has a larger screen one would expect it to feel heavier and it's also slightly thicker than the iPhone 5. I was really pleasantly surprised by how it felt in the hand. Shame Mr Butterfingers is going to have to put a protective case around mine.
    anon5398027 and OrangeBerry02 like this.
    01-07-13 02:28 AM
    I'll definitely be switching back to BB utilizing VZW coverage. Heck, for that matter, when I made my recent phone switch, initially I went in to switch from my 9900 (T-Mo) to a 9930 (VZW), but was dissuaded when I found out that the 9930 only operates on 3G coverage with VZW. If the 9930 had been 4G capable like the 9900, then I would have never ended up with my MAXX HD at all.
    Im pretty sure the 9900 isn't 4G capable either.
    01-07-13 04:20 PM
    Im pretty sure the 9900 isn't 4G capable either.
    It's not... it's only HSPA+ capable.
    01-07-13 05:39 PM
    This sounds promising.
    hope they can get the software and have enough time to put in those little animations that will make it seem all class
    01-07-13 07:12 PM
    Funny, I've had a chance to play with the final hardware this past weekend myself and most certainatly (yes i know i can't spell lol) has a 8MP camera and the unit I had in my hands also has a bunch of apps that will make people smile ear to ear with

Yes it is nice to have a friend who works at RIM and another friend who is a developer.
    01-07-13 07:16 PM
    I didn't like to ask. He made sure I wasn't from the media before he showed it to me. When I said I was a Blackberry addict who read Crackberry he said he had got Kevin Michaluk drunk about a year ago. Now if Kevin's teetotal my guy's a liar, but I bet my right nut he isn't!
    Drunk Kevin! - I wonder if the new BB10 keyboard is drunk-proof
    01-07-13 07:26 PM
    Funny, I've had a chance to play with the final hardware this past weekend myself and most certainatly (yes i know i can't spell lol) has a 8MP camera and the unit I had in my hands also has a bunch of apps that will make people smile ear to ear with

Yes it is nice to have a friend who works at RIM and another friend who is a developer.
    The more i think about it, the more i reckon that the Timeshift function is maximum 5mp
    Normal photo's can prob go up to 8mp.
    It'd make sense the comment about being HD too because Timeshift is essentially a short video
    01-07-13 07:27 PM
79 1234