A very friendly RIM employee had a "Dev" t-shirt on in my hotel and when I said I was looking forward to the launch at the end of this month he showed me his Z10 for a few minutes. I loved the keyboard, screen, size, thickness and quality feel. It looks like a winner to me and I think I will opt for it as a replacement to my 9900 rather than the one with keys.

He showed me the time shifting camera which was amazing. Strange it only seems to be 5Mb though.

My one nagging thought was that it crashed when he was showing it to me. Naturally it was not final release software but we are very close to launch and I do worry about it being reliable.

My contract is up in September so there should be plenty of bug fixing before then.

I couldn't help asking when I could get one in the UK. I won't betray his confidence but I was very pleased with his answer. Similarly, I was happy to hear I won't have to wait a year for my Playbook to have BB10.

He was a very nice chap, very open and friendly, and very confident in RIM's future.

Yay!
    01-04-13 03:03 PM
    That is great news, but at this stage it shouldn't really be crashing during a basic demo. I do hope they have ironed all the gremlins out. Could you describe what the plastic of he main body is made of (polycarbonate would suit me)

Thanks
    pblakk likes this.
    01-04-13 03:13 PM
    Argh, I really want to get a grip of it before I get too excite and buy it.

The nexus was a no brainer, and I nearly bought 2, however aft3r holding it, it just didnt feel right.

Id give my left nut to have a play of a DevZ10
    01-04-13 03:17 PM
    It felt soft and high quality, but I wouldn't know what polycarbonate was I am afraid. I liked the way the back snapped off. The battery looked quite small in there.
    01-04-13 03:19 PM
    Argh, I really want to get a grip of it before I get too excite and buy it.

The nexus was a no brainer, and I nearly bought 2, however aft3r holding it, it just didnt feel right.

Id give my left nut to have a play of a DevZ10
    This wasn't a DevZ10, this was the release model, at least physically. I hope the software wasn't quite release!
    01-04-13 03:20 PM
    A
    My one nagging thought was that it crashed when he was showing it to me. Naturally it was not final release software but we are very close to launch and I do worry about it being reliable.
    I've seen enough 'daily builds' in my day not to be too worried about it. If it was a developer, he's quite likely running a daily build that only a few in RIM even see.
    Pilchard likes this.
    01-04-13 03:28 PM
    I've seen enough 'daily builds' in my day not to be too worried about it. If it was a developer, he's quite likely running a daily build that only a few in RIM even see.
    He was very clear with me before he showed me the phone that it was running developer software so it's not fair of me to make a big deal of it. My nagging doubt comes from my experience of Playbook and my 9900!
    Mel25 and ezapper2 like this.
    01-04-13 03:42 PM
    Thanks OP for the post. I envie you. :-)

One question, Scoop twitted that bb10 would be available for PB shortly after launch... Does this sound right? :-)
    01-04-13 03:49 PM
    He was very clear with me before he showed me the phone that it was running developer software so it's not fair of me to make a big deal of it. My nagging doubt comes from my experience of Playbook and my 9900!
    That's fair. I never had the PlayBook crash (apps on occasion, never the device) but the 9900 happened to crash more than I'd like.
    01-04-13 04:00 PM
    Thanks OP for the post. I envie you. :-)

One question, Scoop twitted that bb10 would be available for PB shortly after launch... Does this sound right? :-)
    Nope. I said less than a year to protect the confidence of the RIM employee, but it's going to be months not weeks
    LyoobaBerry and digitalman101 like this.
    01-04-13 04:00 PM
    That's fair. I never had the PlayBook crash (apps on occasion, never the device) but the 9900 happened to crash more than I'd like.
    My browser crashed all the time
    antiRIM and Mel25 like this.
    01-04-13 04:02 PM
    Nope. I said less than a year to protect the confidence of the RIM employee, but it's going to be months not weeks
    Frankly, that sounds right. I'm personally hoping for May.
    01-04-13 04:07 PM
    +1.

Did he mean the BB10 upgrade to current PBs or only the release of the new PB on BB10?
    01-04-13 04:11 PM
    Did you see any dock ports?
    01-04-13 04:13 PM
    i've played with it too... i really like the material on the back. non-slip. it feels good!

Jan 30, baby!
    01-04-13 04:19 PM
    "He showed me the time shifting camera which was amazing. Strange it only seems to be 5Mb though."

What is 5Mb - do you mean 5 megapixels as relates to the camera? In any case - it's supposed to be 8MP according to leaks.
    BB_Bmore and Bobert_123 like this.
    01-04-13 05:01 PM
    As much as I've loved BLACKBERRY keypads over the years, I really like the look of the ALL touch BB10.........I think its time for a change, so I'm going with the ALL touch at release. Since my purchase of the OEM PlayBook Bluetooth Keyboard, I find myself only using the 9930's keypad for BBM group conversations anyway.......its time for a CHANGE
    01-04-13 05:03 PM
    So we can expect a beta within a month after launch I like it. Congrats on getting to fondle the device I dream about night and day. I do not know you but I hate you right now jk
    Pilchard and 00stryder like this.
    01-04-13 05:42 PM
    That's the sense that I got. Like late spring or summer. No idea where this "it's coming out before the phones" rumour got started.
    01-04-13 08:50 PM
    The browser was my main culprit as well. It's the javascript. Turn it off and the browser flies and crashes less. But not practical as a lot of sites need it.
    CairnsRock, Pilchard and 00stryder like this.
    01-04-13 08:51 PM
    That's the sense that I got. Like late spring or summer. No idea where this "it's coming out before the phones" rumour got started.
    People on various sites, twitter etc. being completely unrealistic since the priority was always going to be phones, more phones and then maybe pb upgrade.
    01-04-13 09:43 PM
    +1.

Did he mean the BB10 upgrade to current PBs or only the release of the new PB on BB10?
    He meant upgrade for current PBs. On a purely personal note I think RIM will focus on phones and not tablets as the PB cannot command a premium price to make a profit. Just my two cents.
    jakie55 and magutwit like this.
    01-04-13 11:54 PM
    Did you see any dock ports?
    I didn't really notice as there are plenty of leaked photos out there. I saw a micro usb and a headphone socket though.
    01-04-13 11:57 PM
    "He showed me the time shifting camera which was amazing. Strange it only seems to be 5Mb though."

What is 5Mb - do you mean 5 megapixels as relates to the camera? In any case - it's supposed to be 8MP according to leaks.
    Sorry, I meant 5 megapixels. He definitely said 5 and not 8. He may have been incorrect as 5 sounded so low. His comment when I asked why so low was "it's still full HD" so I think he was more interested in video than stills.
    01-05-13 12:00 AM
    As much as I've loved BLACKBERRY keypads over the years, I really like the look of the ALL touch BB10.........I think its time for a change, so I'm going with the ALL touch at release. Since my purchase of the OEM PlayBook Bluetooth Keyboard, I find myself only using the 9930's keypad for BBM group conversations anyway.......its time for a CHANGE
    In my excitement I forgot to mention something he said. I said I would be waiting for the one with keys (which he said is only a few weeks behind the Z) and he said he had both and he found himself almost exclusively using the Z10. He then said his one with keys was the Porsche version which he didn't think was as nice as the RIM design anyway.

So there will be a BB10 Porsche version with keys. I doubt that's a surprise to anyone and he didn't show it to me. I doubt anyone who drops that much on a Blackberry reads Crackberry anyway!
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    01-05-13 12:12 AM
79 123 ...