I thought that the dev alpha was 8 mp. Why would they make the final device lower. As well I never heard of the devices crashing, I've never even had a playbook crash on me only the browser which I think is because it was not natively built. Well I guess we will have to wait and see.
    01-05-13 12:15 AM
    It's 8mp Spec Shootout: Dev Alpha A vs Dev Alpha B | CrackBerry.com

I wonder whether the shots, when taken with timeshift, are 5mp rather than native 8mp...we'll see in 26 days!

Also, the Dev Alpha does crash every now and then. Hopefully RIM's working through the kinks and bugs now....
    01-05-13 12:26 AM
    01-05-13 09:34 AM
    The browser was my main culprit as well. It's the javascript. Turn it off and the browser flies and crashes less. But not practical as a lot of sites need it.
    the borwser is Adobe AIR on the playbook not java i don't think anythign on the playbook runs java but either way the browser on the playbook is a memory hog and when you open to many tabs and there are alot of flash add it crashes and shuts down
    01-05-13 10:54 AM
    I find th keyboards on current BlackBerry's useful when it comes to email and that, but I think the BlackBerry 10 is going to be RIM's play on the iPhone, trying to be a better equivilant. Also for its looks and the way it works, with "The Hub" amongst other things. I'd probably choose it over the iPhone, even if I had enough money for both.
    01-05-13 11:01 AM
    Lucky fish!
    Well there is still enough time to get an OS update before launch, so hopefully they tweaking it as we text.
    Also never had my playbook crash on me either, only browser closing and icon greyed out for a few seconds.
    X10 is for hardcover testers, but Z10 will become RIM's bread and butter soon.
    Lastly, a leaked roadmap did state PlayBook BB10 update due May/June.
    01-05-13 11:16 AM
    Lastly, a leaked roadmap did state PlayBook BB10 update due May/June.
    Which probably means September then
    01-05-13 11:32 AM
    Did the device seem fast?
    01-05-13 12:10 PM
    Did the Z10 seem fast?
    01-05-13 12:11 PM
    ^^^ that question
    01-05-13 01:03 PM
    If he was a developer he was most definitely using a daily or weekly build.
    01-05-13 01:21 PM
    He showed me the time shifting camera which was amazing. Strange it only seems to be 5Mb though.
    How were you able to determine that the camera was 5mp? Did the employee tell you this? Or was this spec stamped on the unit?
    01-05-13 01:28 PM
    Sorry, I meant 5 megapixels. He definitely said 5 and not 8. He may have been incorrect as 5 sounded so low. His comment when I asked why so low was "it's still full HD" so I think he was more interested in video than stills.
    I'm sorry but that's just not possible, I believe you, but he's wrong. The dev alphas have 8 meg cameras, perhaps he had a soon to be released low end bb10 device. I doubt he would lie for the heck of it but I can't imagine how a rim employee could say something like that...
    01-05-13 01:48 PM
    How were you able to determine that the camera was 5mp? Did the employee tell you this? Or was this spec stamped on the unit?
    I think he meant front facing was 5mp, because 5mp sounds just about right from what I heard. 8mp rear camera for sure
    01-05-13 01:50 PM
    I think he meant front facing was 5mp, because 5mp sounds just about right from what I heard. 8mp rear camera for sure
    I really doubt that, there wouldn't be any point. Imo 3 megs is the most needed for a front facing camera plus there haven't been any rumors at all backing that up.
    Last edited by Bobert_123; 01-05-13 at 03:31 PM.
    01-05-13 01:59 PM
    In my excitement I forgot to mention something he said. I said I would be waiting for the one with keys (which he said is only a few weeks behind the Z) and he said he had both and he found himself almost exclusively using the Z10. He then said his one with keys was the Porsche version which he didn't think was as nice as the RIM design anyway.

So there will be a BB10 Porsche version with keys. I doubt that's a surprise to anyone and he didn't show it to me. I doubt anyone who drops that much on a Blackberry reads Crackberry anyway!
    Seems highly unlikely that they would launch something like that so early and even less likely that it would be readily available to devs who could just as easily work on the normal (and cheaper) model, after all Rim are trying to cut their costs by $1b a year which would seem to imply they would try to minimise costs on pre-release devices where possible.
    01-05-13 02:27 PM
    If he was a developer he was most definitely using a daily or weekly build.

True, but the way RIM does it is via employees being in the Beta for any particular device. Even "regular" employees can be in the program, they just have to put up with regular code drops and bugs. The old OS also had Quincy (as seen in many an OS leak) and later it had report mode after a reset, which you could use to report the type of crash or bug. The program continues after a device goes "Gold".
    01-05-13 03:01 PM
    Wow ... thanks for posting OP. This is so exciting and I am totally jealous!

So guys ... a worry I have (and sorry if has been discussed elsewhere). We know there will be a gap between the release of BB10 and it dropping onto the PB. I depend on Bridge so much, do you think if I upgrade my 9850 to the Z10 I will be able to pair with my QNX PBs? I have to have that functionality for presentations and communication. OP, did the guy you talked to happened to say anything?
    convenor likes this.
    01-05-13 03:09 PM
    Could it be the Dev changed his camera setting from 8 to 5?
    01-05-13 05:13 PM
    the borwser is Adobe AIR on the playbook not java i don't think anythign on the playbook runs java but either way the browser on the playbook is a memory hog and when you open to many tabs and there are alot of flash add it crashes and shuts down
    Javascript is different from java, but yes you're right the pb browser doesn't have java and can be a bit of a memory hog, especially when it comes to flash. I think these problems are all fixed in BB10 so no worries
    01-05-13 05:21 PM
    Could it be the Dev changed his camera setting from 8 to 5?
    lol is that possible?
    01-05-13 06:00 PM
    A thought on the megapixels. Maybe the shifting camera is an option, and when it's turned on it lowers the quality to 5MP in order to make previewing smoother or something?

I'm assuming the shifting camera takes video shortly before, during and after the shutter is pressed, in which case full HD video might be too intense?

Either that or he made it smaller. My Windows phone gives me the option of changing my "megapixels" (image dimensions) from 8 to 5 to 3 to 2 to 1.
    01-05-13 07:52 PM
    A thought on the megapixels. Maybe the shifting camera is an option, and when it's turned on it lowers the quality to 5MP in order to make previewing smoother or something?

I'm assuming the shifting camera takes video shortly before, during and after the shutter is pressed, in which case full HD video might be too intense?

Either that or he made it smaller. My Windows phone gives me the option of changing my "megapixels" (image dimensions) from 8 to 5 to 3 to 2 to 1.

Exactly. My digital Elph (Canon) has a 10mp sensor. If I use the continuous mode with full res it barely gets to 1-frame per second (without the flash). If I go to their burst mode which lowers the quality to 2.5mp automatically I get above 5 frames per second. If BB10 can do 5mp for "time-shift" that is damn good. The camera on my 9780 took much better pictures (close-up and regular) than that of my 9900 despite the "3.2mp" and that's a difference of 1.8mp.
    01-05-13 08:49 PM
    LOL! (for those of us who bought the PlayBook at launch or shortly after)
    01-05-13 09:46 PM
    People on various sites, twitter etc. being completely unrealistic since the priority was always going to be phones, more phones and then maybe pb upgrade.
    Actually the rumor started from a forum member misinterpreting a tweet from Blackberrydev. The was something like" yes there will be a Playbook beta before the launch "

Of course they meant the launch of BlackBerry10 for PlayBook and not the BlackBerry10 launch in itself. Also to correct you,it was never "maybe" the PlayBook will get BlackBerry10 after launch. It was "yes" the PlayBook will get BlackBerry10 along with BBM...from numerous credible sources
    01-05-13 10:01 PM
79 1234